Base Camp Antigua Reviews

7th Street poniente, 17, Antigua, Antigua, Guatemala

they don't have a kitchen for use. nice otherwise

The beds are very comfortable and there were black-out shades in the room which helped with sleeping in. Sound travels pretty well but we were so tired that it didn't really matter. The hostel volunteers were very nice but the other official staff seemed more interested in talking with us only when they were trying to sell us on a volcano trip.

A great team works here. excellent for taking the volcano trips.

I was staying the first time at OX Base Camp hostel and it was awesome ! I planned to stay one night but extended 4 nights more ! Actually never felt this welcome during my travels. The OX team is like a family. I even got a lollipop when I arrived. I can highly recommend this hostel: perfect location, nice rooms, free netflix (yeaaaah :D !!), ping pong, nice terrace with hammocks, AWESOME BREAKFAST !! Also if you want to hike a volcano you are in best hands with OX !! Thanks OX base camp !

• 8th Jan 2015

We had requested two nights but they only had room for one (it was a discrepancy between HostelWorld & their booking system; not fault of the hostel). We were dismayed and inconvenienced, but they graciously discounted our night's stay for us and helped us try to find another hostel. The hostel itself was quaintly set up. The negatives were that the room did not have enough blankets, it was loud as the rooms were located around the common room, and there was no privacy outside of the bathrooms.

I was very unimpressed with this place. The smell from the dirty toilet turned me off my very basic breakfast. The vibe was pathetic, even at Christmas. Having a couple as volunteers is a big mistake, watching them watch Netflicks is like social napalm. The rooftop terrace is a dive. Thank god i had friends in others hostels to hang with. There are some awesome hostels in Antigua (Tropicana, Terrace, Zoola) and of all the ones i saw this was the worst in every respect.

Great staff very friendly helpful and knowledgable. The hostel is NOT a party hostel, it is geared up for people who like to adventure and may be getting up early, consequential not full of drunken disrespectful idiots.

• 23rd Dec 2014

We had a great stay at the hostel. The free breakfast is great eggs and beans and the happy hour deals are an added bonus :)

A fantastic hostel for hanging around, chilling out and meeting people, either around the large breakfast table, while playing ping pong or on the terrace. If you are planing to do any hiking this is definitely the place - so you can leave early and come back tired directly from and to your hostel. One of my best stays so far.

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

real nice hostel in the center of everything, the taco place in front is excellent. they organise amazing tour also.

Be aware that they DO NOT honour hostel world deposits... Meaning you have to pay full price anyway when you get there. Nice place to stay for a night or two, no vibe really, good location, no kitchen, nice tv area.

O.X. Basecamp in Antigua not only fulfilled, but exceeded my expectations! The hostel is placed in a perfect environment, it takes only minutes to walk wherever you want to go. It is clean, warm and welcoming and I even got a lollipop when I arrived! The volunteers are very helpful and the free breakfast was so yummy. I remember sitting every morning at the table, having great conversations with fellow travelers and hanging out on the awesome terrace in the evenings.. Simply loved basecamp!

• 26th Nov 2014

Great stay here, nice chilled-out vibe with a good crowd. Lovely crew who worked there - special thanks to Rosie and Sylvia for putting on a fun Thanksgiving dinner for all of us, Maribelle is a star and Ox tours were brilliant for my hike up Acatenango Volcano. Would stay here again!

I stayed in a dorm at Basecamp. The beds and bathroom facilities are basic, but the hostel has nice touches: Rooftop garden, 'chill cave' with Netflix, ping pong in the courtyard. Pros: Cool staff, A+ location, tasty tipico breakfast. Cons: Hot water theoretically available in showers, but never worked (only an issue in winter), a bit noisy (music played from circa 7AM-10PM). Be mindful of the trek schedule—trekkers will all get up around 5:30 AM to organize their things. Bring earplugs!

The staff and atmosphere of this place is awesome. Everyone, immediately, was insanely friendly and it truly did feel like a mini home away from home. Keep it up, you guys, you're so awesome.

• 21st Nov 2014

Stay was awesome! We came in late and staff were there to greet us! The location is great, and the staff were super helpful with great restaurant and activity recommendations. Cleaning lady was around every day keeping the place clean! Great rooftop patio! Pink pong table inside and netflix were great when we were waiting out a thunderstorm!

• 18th Nov 2014

Lovely relaxed hostel with friendly staff, unfortunately when we stayed there were some issues with toilets. On waking early one morning to hike a volcano, the only toilets had been accidentally locked up or were out of order... Leaving no toilets and some very desperate people. Wifi was also out of action for a day or two while we stayed. The staff were very apologetic and kindly did not bill us for a night of our stay.

The staff are super helpful and friendly. Everyone is keen to ensure you are having a good time. The hostel attracts a great crowd of travellers. 1 of 2 bathrooms were down when we arrived which was inconvenient; however, the owner gave everyone one free night as a result. The hostel offers Netflix, free breakfast, and great recommendations around Antigua. Happy hour with cheap beer from 5-6! Awesome hostel! I would definitely stay there again!

Call/email ahead about tours. I did the double whammy and it was totally worth it. Bring a headlamp if you can. Front desk staff and volunteers are very nice, very friendly. Suggestions: bunk bed curtains for the 4 bed dorms, mark the key for the hostel door in some way so it's easy to identify from the dorm room door. Be considerate! Shower in the shower only room, and avoiding occupying one of the bathrooms that has a toilet in it.

Had a ball, not much - if anything - to fault here. Location, facilities and vibe was perfect. Staff were amazing (Nat & Rosie, legends!), damn friendly and extremely helpful. Extremely clean & Netflix was a godsend for the night off boozing. Would stay here again for sure.

« first « Prev 1 2 3