Base Magnetic Island Reviews

1 Nelly Bay Road, Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island, Australia

the impression of this place was set from the moment we arrived. we were greeted with a smile by the very enthusiastic reception staff then headed to our room. it was the furthest room from the reception but made up for it with the spectacular views right over the ocean. throughout the day there was volley ball slip and slides and standup paddle boarding to keep busy which made the place feel more like a resort than a backpackers. without a doubt ill be back just as soon as i recover from bingo

• 24th Jul 2015

Hi there, Thanks so much for leaving us this kind review, it's super appreciated. We really love to hear about it when people love this place as much as we do. I'll be sure to pass on your review to staff so they know they're did it right. How much fun is the slip and slide and paddle boarding right? Hope Bingo recovery is well underway now.. Safe travels, Tom General Manager

Very good hostel overlooking the sea. Bar area is good, toilets, showers and rooms are big and clean. However, the kitchen is way too small and there aren't enough hobs or clean, dry towels.

Hi, Thanks very much for leaving a review, its really nice to hear when people have enjoyed their stay with us. I promise i'm trying to work on a solution for the kitchen, we're not normally this busy so it hasn't been an issue, but i should have planned ahead, sorry.. Hope the rest of your travels are going awesome and you give us another chance in the future. Cheers, Tom Cooney General Manager

The staff here were fantastic, very welcoming and informative about what to do on the island and what the hostel offered itself. The location was like no other hostel I had stayed in, right on the beach front with amazing views of the mainland. The bar always had a great atmosphere in the evenings, with bar events happening every night of the week! I was camping so I didn't stay in the dorm rooms but they were cute little huts mostly overlooking the sea. Ill defiantly be back to stay here again!

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • morag92
  • Scotland

What an awesome review, Thank you for taking the time to big us up. Hope the rest of your travels are awesome, we've always got a place for you to camp so I hope you come back and visit us again soon to see some more of Maggie's magic. Safe travels, Tom Cooney General Manager

This is from "the nice guy" haha Ben. The staff here are AMAZING, soo friendly and just a pleasure to be with. The first receptionist Andy was really chilled and cool (and easy on the eyes, let's be honest). A HUGE shout out to Gina, Faye, Morag, Dave and Robyn (hope I spelt your name correctly!). Gina and Faye were just so kind and polite, Morag kept me company when I waited for the sunrise and Dave even ran to the bus stop to hug me goodbye when I was leaving (so cute!), STAY HERE!! 😁😁

Haha, thank mate.. Really appreciate you taking the time to leave this review, i'll make sure all the staff get an extra big high 5 from you, and extra hug for Dave. Hope you come and visit again soon. Love, All the Base family.

Great hostel! Is literally at the beach, with great bar and facilities. I had a really good time, perfect social atmosphere! I stay an extra night.

Thanks very much for the review, we're stoked you enjoyed the place. Hope you come back and visit us again soon. Lots of love, Base Crew

Nice place. If weather had have been better we could have stayed much longer. Lovely setting right on the beach and lots happening around the bar at nighttime. Much more like a resort than a hostel...

Sorry for the delay in replying here. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment, and glad you enjoyed your stay.. We'll work on making sure the weather is tip top for your next stay ;) Safe travels, and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Paradise. The rooms are cute little huts looking directly out onto the ocean, the showers were always hot (often a rarity on the east coast!) And the food was awesome! Staff were helpful (bending over backwards to fit me and my mates all into the same rooms), And fun. We were treated like their friends rather than just guests.

• 11th May 2015

Maggie Base Hostel is by far one of the best hostels I have stayed in so far in Australia. From the location, to the friendly atmosphere created by the staff - there is always something going on and you can be feel alone.

• 11th May 2015

Thanks ya big legend.. Hope the rest of your travels are going swell, come back and visit us soon :)

Nice location, next to the beach. It is a party hostel. It;s fine for two nights, but not for longer. The showers are cold and not reallly clean. The kitchen is not big enough for all the people.

Hi there, Thanks very much for the review, I've sent maintenance to have a look at the water heaters this morning, as the showers definitely shouldn't be cold, even if it is too hot most of the time to use the hot tap ;) We've got plans for a few more cookers and fridges in the guest kitchen too, so hopefully when you come back next time you'll be pleasantly surprised. Safe Travels, Tom Cooney General Manager

Waking up every morning looking over the ocean is definitely one way I'll remember maggie island and the wet pussys were amazing!

• 3rd May 2015

Best hostel I've ever stayed in. Great friendly staff beautiful scenery great night life. Would recommend

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel, would definitely recommend it!! Loads to do and see around the island. Has an awesome atmosphere at night.

I loved the scenery and the island during my whole stay. I don't have any complaints about the rooms or the facilities at all. I'll definitely be back.

• 2nd May 2015

Thanks very much for the review. Hope you enjoyed the diving mate. Safe travels and we'll see you again soon, Base Crew

Staff were nice enough but very cliquey and didn't really make much effort with travelers despite hanging out in common areas. Value for money for the room is alright but when there is no free WiFi, no free breakfast and no BYO and no shops close by expect to spend much more than the room price. Facilities were what you expect from a decent hostel. Overall, not to bad

Base Magnetic Island is top notch. Staff are all friendly and super helpful. The room I stayed in was clean and well presented and so were the facilities. There is a great menu within any travellers budget and a great party atmosphere at night. Thanks for a great stay base x

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Such an incredible place to stay! The island is beautiful and staff so helpful where to go and see. So much entertainment on in the evenings at Base too aswell as being right on the beach. So glad I stayed and will definatley be going back.

• 30th Apr 2015

Thanks for the review, we love to read when our guests enjoy the place as much as we do.. See ya again soon, Base Crew

located right at the beach but too far away from the ferry terminal and the shops. if you wanna party it's a great place, otherwise the music might be too loud. expensive wifi, friendly staff, tiny huts with too many people in it, bathrooms sometimes quite far away. kitchen well equipped but way too crowded at peak times.

The hostel is a amazing place to be, staff are brilliant and it has been the best time of my life.

• 25th Apr 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave the review. We hope you visit again soon, from all reports we hear you were an 'appropriate' Bingo representative. Thanks, Tom Cooney, General Manager

Had an awesome stay at base in Magnetic Island! The location is lovely and right on the beach! The staff were all very friendly and helpful! I would highly recommend X base and we enjoyed our stay! Thanks base team!

Thank you very much for your review... and thanks for the continuous Trevi laughs.. See you again soon!

On arrival I was greeted by a jolly happy guy in a beautiful dress welcoming us to the hostel, and informed us that it was ladies night were it was $1 punch if we dressed up in a girls dress. The room was a nice 6 bed dorm cleaned and tidy, one of the best I have seen on my trip. the showers were great, hot water and clean bathrooms. The hostel is beautiful and chilled during the day and a massive party at night!!! The staff are all welcoming and happy to help with anything and party all night

• 24th Apr 2015