Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

I would stay there again! Great place.

Gillllies, clean, good staff, facilities, central location.

Cheap Hostel, what can you expect? Well, more than that, better invest two or three dollars more in a better Hostel, this one is not clean, small and has a overall bad atmosphere.

• 5th Jan 2015

i tried to cancel my reservation but it was imnpossible, no one could assit, i even went to reception desk and no one could help i tried to cancel because this hostel is very dirty, not secure, only good thing about its localization

You get much better value for money staying at Nomads - there's nothing terrible about the hostel, but it's quite dated and in need of TLC. The kitchen is sparsely equiped and quite cramped, and the dining area far too small! Not a nice place to chill out at compared to some of the alternative hostels.

The TV lounge was closed. The kitchen was dirty and had everything that could possibly be tipped in it at the bottom. The bathrooms were unclean....had to wear my flip flops in the shower. Wifi was awful.

• 10th Dec 2014
  • Wales

Staff is super friendly and very helpfull, its a nice place to stay if you want to party, the rooms and toilets are alwys clean. 2 bad things thow.. If you want to sleep it wont be possible before 4am ( bar just downstairs ) and the kitchen is always a mess ( too small for the amount of people and the fridge once you put something there ou migt not find it ever again )

Awesome staff, awesome people, lots of high fives. Just a good time.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Big and nice. Weird showers (at least on second floor) . Beds were okay.

Perhaps you can consider to add more space for dining at the kitchen in the future. Thank you.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

Despite my advance booking and deposit paid (and the fact that I had stayed there more than once before) I was denied entry because I could not provide photo ID. I had my booking documents, a pack marked with my name and address, my cash card and sundry other documents. I did not have a driver's licence because I had no car and had been tramping on the West Coast for two weeks. I did not have a passport because I am a New Zealand resident. I am 74 years old. I was accepted by Nomads with no ID

• 20th Nov 2014

Loved that this hostel was right in the middle of everything happening in Queenstown. The kitchen was quite a mess though, people would wash their dishes and leve them out on the counters. Also lots of the cook wear was broken or on the verge of breaking. If you book directly on the Base website you get free breakfast every morning.

All the staff were really nice and helpful, the girls on the desk during the day were especially nice and friendly. Sadly the guy that was on the desk at night was quite rude and called just about every guy that came in late creepy. He defiantly didnt like to go out of his way to make peoples stay a pleasure. This is the only reason staff and atmosphere were good and not excellent. Im happy to discuss further if required.

Linnen and sheets dirty on arrival. Shower is not cleaned on a daily basis. Noisy from party down- and outside. Great location in the centre and easy connection to everything in town. Less expensive via nakedsleep.com.

Great hostel! Right in the centre of town, staff were very helpful and my room was a decent size and even had a balcony!

• 26th Sep 2014

Great location. Staff were friendly and helpful. Fun place to stay. The loco bar downstairs did awesome food and you get discounted drinks for staying at base.

• 26th Aug 2014

Hi Dena, Thanks heaps for recently staying at Base Queenstown. I'm glad to see you enjoyed not only the hostel, but Loco Cantina as well. We hope to see you back here again in the future! All the best with the remainder of your travels. Kind regards, J.Smith

My stay at this hostel was pretty bad. It looks really really old and dirty from inside. Noise level are ridiculous! There were drunk people shouting around the hostel up to 2am in the morning. I understand Queenstown is a party town but some people (like me) were there to ski and need some sleep for that. Shower wasn't hot enough and you have to keep pressing the buttons for the water to flow. Beds make a horrible noise. There isn't a cool lounge area. Nomads are heaps better!

The kitchen facilities were well below par, and they did not replace sponges or dish towels for days, creating some interesting smells around the floor. A lot of the staff were friendly, however, the uninviting demeanor of a select few lowered their standard considerably. One of the kitchen regulars was incredibly rude to a group of us and suggested we eat out so he could close the kitchen an hour early. No drinking or common room was also a bit of a kick in the gooch.