Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

My stay at this hostel was pretty bad. It looks really really old and dirty from inside. Noise level are ridiculous! There were drunk people shouting around the hostel up to 2am in the morning. I understand Queenstown is a party town but some people (like me) were there to ski and need some sleep for that. Shower wasn't hot enough and you have to keep pressing the buttons for the water to flow. Beds make a horrible noise. There isn't a cool lounge area. Nomads are heaps better!

The kitchen facilities were well below par, and they did not replace sponges or dish towels for days, creating some interesting smells around the floor. A lot of the staff were friendly, however, the uninviting demeanor of a select few lowered their standard considerably. One of the kitchen regulars was incredibly rude to a group of us and suggested we eat out so he could close the kitchen an hour early. No drinking or common room was also a bit of a kick in the gooch.

Awesome location. Rooms average. The bar advertised was pretty sparse, and the activities ended up being pretty demeaning toward women. Everyone booed a girl (on her birthday) for not taking her clothes off until she left...

Very dissappointed with this hostel. Made a two night booking but had to move rooms each night. TERRIBLE SHOWERS in every room, water at best luke warm, you will not get a hot shower here. Most staff are wonderful but there is one extremely rude and slow staff member. In comparison to other backpackers in the area Base Queenstown is not good value for money. There are plenty of other hostels in the area that are better quality and have a better atmosphere. Would not recommend this hostel!!!!!!!

• 20th Jul 2014

It is a party hostel in a party town. So it is what it is. You get a cheap stay in a good central location, but you gamble getting a good night's rest with the noise. So depending on who you are it could be great or it could be your worst nightmare. If you get a four bed dorm though, you get two pillows and a towel! (We stayed in both an 8 bed and 4 bed). Regardless of who you are or what room though, the showers suck.

Hi Jamie, Thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base Queenstown. It's good to see you enjoyed your stay in the 4 bed dorms (Quad Share) and I can sympathise with your issues with the showers. We are aware of this and have been making changes to the showers and bathrooms starting at the third floor and working our way down. Once again, thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your holiday. Regards, Jackie Smith

I am thankful that Base was able to find space for me for two extra nights. As a hostel grows, it becomes tough to maintain atmosphere. The tv room and kitchen are good places to break the ice with people. Although, seemingly new the bunk beds are rickety and can make a lot of noise. The bathroom facilities were average and clean for the most part. The sinks often jetted out water at full blast often splashing the user. Ample storage space in the kitchen and a deal on drinks at the local bar.

Hi Vanessa, Thanks for letting us know how your recent stay at Base Queenstown went. I'm glad you got to meet others during your stay and got to go and try some of those drinks specials in the bar. We understand that the bunks can be a little squeaky and have a can of WD-40 on hand. With regards to the water pressure, this year we are making changes to our bathrooms. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to see you stay here again Vanessa. Regards, Jackie Smith

Awful hostel like a tacky night club, room was tiny and was a party all night. I'm all for boozing and having fun but it takes the micky when it's inside the room all night. Didn't sleep until 5.30/6am. Had paid for 3 nights so I asked for a refund in the morning for two last nights. The manager was nice and she gave me a full refund. Location is great but wouldn't recommend this hostel unless you just wanna get blind drunk in the rooms.

Hi David, Thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base Queenstown. It's a shame to see you didn't enjoy your stay and that others in your room ruined your time here. We do have 24hr reception, did you let the Night Staff know about the noise issues during the night? We would usually offer a solution there and then if that was the case. However, I am glad to see that you were compensated and that you found the staff were compassionate about your situation. Regards, Jackie Smith

I had an alright stay, the staff I had were very helpful and polite. However I was at Base onetime when my friends were checking in and the manager was very un-patient and extremely rude to them just because they had trouble speaking English. At one point when they wanted to make a complaint they were ordered to "go up to your room and dont come back down until checkout". Worst service I've ever seen at a hotel, even worse that it was a manager! In my opinion my friend's eng. was understandable.

Hi Will, Thank you for letting us know how your stay at Base Queenstown went. I'm glad that you personally had a good time, but am disappointed to see your friends didn't receive the same service. I have emailed you directly to ask a few questions regarding the situation and hope that we can get to the bottom of what happened. Please accept our apologies and I wish you all the best for the remainder off your travels. Regards, Jackie Smith

Hostel was awesome, everyone was really helpful, the bar served cheap beer and Hilltop Hoods played one night. What more can you possibly need. The Giraffe Boys

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Hi Adam and the rest of the 'Giraffe Boys', I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay at Base Queenstown and let us know how it was via Hostelworld. It's always great to see people making the most of what Base has to offer and it looks like you guys certainly did, with the bonus of seeing Hilltop Hoods during your stay. Awesome! We hope that you will one day return and that you enjoy the rest of your travels. Regards, Jackie Smith

Was hugely disappointed to find that our "queen bed" was actually two singles pushed together... Not a very comfortable stay and would not have booked the room if this had been specified. Otherwise, really awesome location, price, and staff.

Hi Abby, Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Queenstown and taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm sorry to see you were disappointed in your bed, but we do advertise it as a Double or Twin option, which would mean that they are beds that have the ability to be split. On the positive side of things it's great to see that the staff looked after you during your stay and that you found the location to be helpful. Once again, thanks for your time. Regards, Jackie Smith Manager

Base Queenstown is wonderful. The location is very good and the room is clean and tidy. The staff is helpful and friendly!

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

Hi Kam, Thank you for recently staying with us at Base Queenstown and for letting us know about your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and we hope that you get the opportunity to visit our property or another Base property again. Kind regards, Jackie Smith

Good place to stay, Hate their dry hostel policy, turns it boring.

It was a nice stay. And we've got a free room up grade.

This hostel was great for the location and free breakfast was a nice touch but unfortunately I cannot recommend staying here. The hostel rooms were small and overcrowded, the bathrooms were never cleaned, the staff would be always be partying and the next day at breakfast complaining of being hungover. The bouncer at the bar downstairs was extremely rude and aggressive and made me and my partner feel uncomfortable drinking there.

Great location. Friendly helpful staff who always looked crazy busy! Nice room with ensuite, private and clean.

Great stay, comfy beds and helpful staff. What more do you need?

Very nice hostel. Good location. Comfy beds, everyone had their own light. Clean.

Clean rooms, linen etc. Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent location within walking distance to town. Would recommend and definitely stay again!

Choice as! staff were O for awesome

Our door didn't close properly because a part from the lock of the door was loose, so the thing which closes the door didn't slide out so the door was often open when I came back even if no one was in the room. (Room number 309.) I was there when the fire alarm started at 2 am in the night - not very pleasant. Can you prevent things from burning in the kitchen in the future? And the kitchen smelled often quite bad and there was never enough cutlery. More plugs in common areas please!