Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

We tried to have a meal at the restaurant downstairs but there was no gluten free options and the staff were very rude when they told us this. The breakfast staff were also quite rude when we asked for more clean spoons and bowls. However the check in staff were very nice and ensured that we had everything we needed.

• 15th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Bed was unstable and made a lot of noise

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Wifi was very expensive (most hostels are free) and it didn't even work in the rooms! And when it didn't work reception could not help cause it was outsourced. No alchohol allowed in the hostel is ridiculous, really took away from the atmosphere and obviously a scheme to make more money from the bar next door! Staff were very rude and disrespectful. The rooms were not properly cleaned and the kitchen was disgusting and mismanaged! The only positive thing about the hostel was its location.

• 9th Jul 2015

Great location. Nothing comes for free, paid extra for wifi (the more expensive one!) yet it still barely worked. Very noisy especially at night.

Biggest complaint by far is something that people hostelling in nz should know about many chain hostels such as base and nomads that advertise a bar on site. This means that the hostel's liquor license can prohibit your own alcohol being consumed in rooms, however these hostels don't tell you this until you arrive and you're usually stuck with their bar. Obviously not that much concern for many but if you're trying to have a night out on the cheap by predrinking, aim for an independent hostel.

• 29th Jun 2015

shower was either boiling hot, or cold. Internet rarely worked in room, which wouldn't usually bother me, but considering they charge extra for it, it should work. Room was left unlocked by a staff member one day- luckily nothing from our room was stolen. Need to advertise that the hostel is 'dry' at the booking stage, not once you're paid up and already there. Lift didn't work properly.

• 29th Jun 2015

Expensive wifi which then doesn't really work - but good location and friendly staff.

Its a Base. Huge hostel, lots of young backpackers (18-20 year old range), and a bar downstairs. The facilities are nice, but they nickle and dime you for everything. The staff was wonderful though, and I really can't say anything bad about the hostel. It was just a hostel, nothing special or particularly bad.

It was a very pleasant stay at The Base, I will surelly be back!!! Thanks for everything!

I really like this place! Great atmosphere, nice staff! Comfortable beds, middle of the city, very nice!

Great location, in the centre of town. Although very loud music playing until after 5am. Rather creaky beds but bathroom right outside the door of every dorm which was good.

Very loud

There were people in my room that used to be guests and still use the facilities, this does not help with security. The room could have been cleaner, the floor was not vacueemed, I think because there were many people living permanently in the hostel. the kitchen didnt even have forks.

The hostel was very clean, warm and tidy in general. My only complaint is about the guy who did my check out. He asked what was my country, he said he had been living in certain city there and it was full of idiots. I didn't even ask. I think is not the best way to greet customers.

Great central location but the carpets in the dorm rooms were sticky and at least half the toilets on the first floor were "out of order" and did not seem to be a priority to repair! In the kitchen the fridge was filthy and despite being cleared of unlabelled food weekly the bottom of the fridge was a mess of spilled, spoiled milk. This is because hundreds of people are cramming food into 2 double fridges. A gas hob was still labelled out of order (perhaps since my last visit in February!)

• 7th Apr 2015

I stayed with two friends in an all female dorm, the “sanctuary”, for three nights. I guess it was a sanctuary from the rest of a party hostel like Base, but don’t expect to get a good night’s sleep. The music is pumping very loud until late at night. We were happy to have our own bathroom inside the room cause most other bathrooms weren’t that clean. However the shower was so warm you couldn’t stand under it most of the time. There was also a fridge in the room that smelled like something died

Hi Anna, thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base. I can understand your frustrations, however since your stay we have given the Sanctuary a facelift with some new paint, no fridges and the water levels has been addressed by our plumber. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Kind regards, J.Smith

The base pumping through the beds and rooms is a joke. They all talk about it and its so unnecessary and I don't see why its needed. If you're up early the next day (i was doing Milford Sound) and don't want to drink...you cannot sleep until the music and especially the base stops at about 1.30. Not needed. When speaking to the guy at desk, he said he would ask to turn it down and nothing happened. Not a great stay. ALSO: CHARGING 2% CARD FEE ON EVERYTHING IS A DISGRACE!!

Hi Lee, thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base. It's a shame to see that the bar noise kept you up, I do apologise for this. We at Base do make it clear we're a property with a bar attached, however I will bring the bass to the attention of our GM. The 2% surcharge is due to cover fees incurred when processing international credit cards. This is standard practice throughout the pacific. We do inform customers of the charge, resulting in the option to pay cash. Regards, J.Smith

This was my second stay at Base and it was just as good as the first, great location and great bar downstairs. Would definitely recommend and visit again

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Hi Rachel, Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad to see you not only enjoyed just your stay, but the bar also. We can't wait for you to stay again! Kind regards, J.Smith

The kitchen is no where near big enough for the amount of people staying there- and it's filthy 99% of the time. I know this is down to the individual backpackers and their hygiene standards but the staff should really take a greater interest in what's going on there. We were put above Loco's despite checking in bang on time and the noise for most of the night wasn't great- they could have given us a choice or a warning to bring ear plugs. The lockers under the beds are great and huge!

Hi Minna, I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at Base. I see you were put into an 8 bed dorm as per your booking via HW, unfortunately they're mainly located on the 1st floor above the bar, however we could have offered you to upgrade to another room. I am sorry that this wasn't offered to you upon check in. With regards to cleanliness, we do have housekeeping staff working to maintain the property, but we cannot control the mess created by customers at all times. Regards, J.Smith

Best thing about this hostel is the location! So central! Staff are great. Kitchen is impossible to use. Is ridiculously noisy at night from the nightclub! Ear plugs dont even help oh well guess thats wat u get when its so cheap. Was difficult to use laundry as well because half the machines are broken and housekeeping use them all day. Oh and dont bother getting the premium wifi neither of them work that well anyway

Hi Erin, I'd like to thank you for your feedback on your stay at Base Queenstown. We are aware that the kitchen needs to be bigger and I do apologise for the bass levels in the bar below, I will bring this to the attention of our GM. I hope that this doesn't put you off returning or visiting another one of our properties. Regards, J.Smith