Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

The TV lounge was closed. The kitchen was dirty and had everything that could possibly be tipped in it at the bottom. The bathrooms were unclean....had to wear my flip flops in the shower. Wifi was awful.

• 10th Dec 2014
  • Wales

Staff is super friendly and very helpfull, its a nice place to stay if you want to party, the rooms and toilets are alwys clean. 2 bad things thow.. If you want to sleep it wont be possible before 4am ( bar just downstairs ) and the kitchen is always a mess ( too small for the amount of people and the fridge once you put something there ou migt not find it ever again )

Awesome staff, awesome people, lots of high fives. Just a good time.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Big and nice. Weird showers (at least on second floor) . Beds were okay.

Perhaps you can consider to add more space for dining at the kitchen in the future. Thank you.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

Despite my advance booking and deposit paid (and the fact that I had stayed there more than once before) I was denied entry because I could not provide photo ID. I had my booking documents, a pack marked with my name and address, my cash card and sundry other documents. I did not have a driver's licence because I had no car and had been tramping on the West Coast for two weeks. I did not have a passport because I am a New Zealand resident. I am 74 years old. I was accepted by Nomads with no ID

• 20th Nov 2014

Loved that this hostel was right in the middle of everything happening in Queenstown. The kitchen was quite a mess though, people would wash their dishes and leve them out on the counters. Also lots of the cook wear was broken or on the verge of breaking. If you book directly on the Base website you get free breakfast every morning.

All the staff were really nice and helpful, the girls on the desk during the day were especially nice and friendly. Sadly the guy that was on the desk at night was quite rude and called just about every guy that came in late creepy. He defiantly didnt like to go out of his way to make peoples stay a pleasure. This is the only reason staff and atmosphere were good and not excellent. Im happy to discuss further if required.

Linnen and sheets dirty on arrival. Shower is not cleaned on a daily basis. Noisy from party down- and outside. Great location in the centre and easy connection to everything in town. Less expensive via nakedsleep.com.

Great hostel! Right in the centre of town, staff were very helpful and my room was a decent size and even had a balcony!

• 26th Sep 2014

Great location. Staff were friendly and helpful. Fun place to stay. The loco bar downstairs did awesome food and you get discounted drinks for staying at base.

• 26th Aug 2014

Hi Dena, Thanks heaps for recently staying at Base Queenstown. I'm glad to see you enjoyed not only the hostel, but Loco Cantina as well. We hope to see you back here again in the future! All the best with the remainder of your travels. Kind regards, J.Smith

My stay at this hostel was pretty bad. It looks really really old and dirty from inside. Noise level are ridiculous! There were drunk people shouting around the hostel up to 2am in the morning. I understand Queenstown is a party town but some people (like me) were there to ski and need some sleep for that. Shower wasn't hot enough and you have to keep pressing the buttons for the water to flow. Beds make a horrible noise. There isn't a cool lounge area. Nomads are heaps better!

The kitchen facilities were well below par, and they did not replace sponges or dish towels for days, creating some interesting smells around the floor. A lot of the staff were friendly, however, the uninviting demeanor of a select few lowered their standard considerably. One of the kitchen regulars was incredibly rude to a group of us and suggested we eat out so he could close the kitchen an hour early. No drinking or common room was also a bit of a kick in the gooch.

Awesome location. Rooms average. The bar advertised was pretty sparse, and the activities ended up being pretty demeaning toward women. Everyone booed a girl (on her birthday) for not taking her clothes off until she left...

Very dissappointed with this hostel. Made a two night booking but had to move rooms each night. TERRIBLE SHOWERS in every room, water at best luke warm, you will not get a hot shower here. Most staff are wonderful but there is one extremely rude and slow staff member. In comparison to other backpackers in the area Base Queenstown is not good value for money. There are plenty of other hostels in the area that are better quality and have a better atmosphere. Would not recommend this hostel!!!!!!!

• 20th Jul 2014

It is a party hostel in a party town. So it is what it is. You get a cheap stay in a good central location, but you gamble getting a good night's rest with the noise. So depending on who you are it could be great or it could be your worst nightmare. If you get a four bed dorm though, you get two pillows and a towel! (We stayed in both an 8 bed and 4 bed). Regardless of who you are or what room though, the showers suck.

Hi Jamie, Thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base Queenstown. It's good to see you enjoyed your stay in the 4 bed dorms (Quad Share) and I can sympathise with your issues with the showers. We are aware of this and have been making changes to the showers and bathrooms starting at the third floor and working our way down. Once again, thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your holiday. Regards, Jackie Smith

I am thankful that Base was able to find space for me for two extra nights. As a hostel grows, it becomes tough to maintain atmosphere. The tv room and kitchen are good places to break the ice with people. Although, seemingly new the bunk beds are rickety and can make a lot of noise. The bathroom facilities were average and clean for the most part. The sinks often jetted out water at full blast often splashing the user. Ample storage space in the kitchen and a deal on drinks at the local bar.

Hi Vanessa, Thanks for letting us know how your recent stay at Base Queenstown went. I'm glad you got to meet others during your stay and got to go and try some of those drinks specials in the bar. We understand that the bunks can be a little squeaky and have a can of WD-40 on hand. With regards to the water pressure, this year we are making changes to our bathrooms. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to see you stay here again Vanessa. Regards, Jackie Smith

Awful hostel like a tacky night club, room was tiny and was a party all night. I'm all for boozing and having fun but it takes the micky when it's inside the room all night. Didn't sleep until 5.30/6am. Had paid for 3 nights so I asked for a refund in the morning for two last nights. The manager was nice and she gave me a full refund. Location is great but wouldn't recommend this hostel unless you just wanna get blind drunk in the rooms.

Hi David, Thanks for letting us know about your stay at Base Queenstown. It's a shame to see you didn't enjoy your stay and that others in your room ruined your time here. We do have 24hr reception, did you let the Night Staff know about the noise issues during the night? We would usually offer a solution there and then if that was the case. However, I am glad to see that you were compensated and that you found the staff were compassionate about your situation. Regards, Jackie Smith

I had an alright stay, the staff I had were very helpful and polite. However I was at Base onetime when my friends were checking in and the manager was very un-patient and extremely rude to them just because they had trouble speaking English. At one point when they wanted to make a complaint they were ordered to "go up to your room and dont come back down until checkout". Worst service I've ever seen at a hotel, even worse that it was a manager! In my opinion my friend's eng. was understandable.

Hi Will, Thank you for letting us know how your stay at Base Queenstown went. I'm glad that you personally had a good time, but am disappointed to see your friends didn't receive the same service. I have emailed you directly to ask a few questions regarding the situation and hope that we can get to the bottom of what happened. Please accept our apologies and I wish you all the best for the remainder off your travels. Regards, Jackie Smith