Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

Dirty, other guests were messy and disrespectful. Loud at night, stuff everywhere. The sheets were dirty, bathroom was disgusting. I checked out after one night.

• 13th Jan 2016

Fantastic Location! Cheap drinks at Loco's, Great staff. GoPro was misplaced staff were able to get it back for me within the day! Highly Recommend if you want a good time

The kitchen had no spoons. The cleaners thought it was a good idea to vacuum at around 5:30 am. Otherwise, nice and backpackerish.

• 5th Jan 2016
  • Sweden

Loved the staff on reception, very helpful! Great feel to the hostel, great kitchen and dining area. Would stay here again if we come back :)

Power sockets - 4 sockets for an 8 bed dorm. This is the only place sockets on our South Island trip. Parking - No mention of lack of parking for guests. We would have stayed elsewhere if we had known. Wifi - No free wifi facilities. The base was the most expensive on our trip and facilities (i.e. wifi) that one would expect. Hostelworld omitted wifi details, rather than noting there was no wifi. Other - Bathroom did not include a floor mat. Also asked to down pillow cases on checking out.

• 3rd Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

Great central location. Working WiFi throughout hostel for a few dollars (two speeds - one speed that is only good for IM, and a more expensive option that works for streaming). Not a quiet hostel; seems to attract bachelor parties and loud groups of English men. My room stunk and was a state, but this was more to do with the five guys who had been staying there for a while, whereas I was there one night. Lockers in room (located under bottom bunk). Plenty of toilets and showers.

Great location. Great if you are 18/looking to party, otherwise stay somewhere else (woke up to a guy vomiting in the bunk next to me).

We booked a four bedded dorm for the four of us. We were pleasantly surprised that it had a fridge, tea, coffee, and nice bathroom, a view out to the street from the 2nd for and small balcony. The room was spacious. Staff very helpful, and the whole place had a great vibe.

Great location, everything else poor. Bit grotty. Squeaky beds with no bars on top bunk, only a couple of plugs in rooms, Charge for wifi and breakfast. Not really a place I'll be going back to

For a big group of people who want to party, this would be the perfect hostel, but for me as a lone traveller, there was no intimate atmosphere or ability to meet other travellers who weren't already in a large group. Lack of free wifi is also frustrating. Nevertheless the location is very central.

Dirty sheets pillows. Floor damaged. Carpet coming off the floor. 4 plug sockets for room of 6 and they were above top bunk level without anything to stand ur device on

• 2nd Dec 2015

Friendly staff and free upgrade from 4 bed dorm to triple room was great.

This place was okay. The location was great, but you can tell its not a very well kept place. The hallway carpet is something to be desired. I stayed in an all female en suite room. I have no idea what the other bathrooms were like. The guy who checked me in seemed like he hated his job. My room was fine. It's Queenstown. Everyone parties.

My choice is alwaysYHA if available. Very smelly and dirty. also Base is very noise with drunk ppl shouting all night. good for youngers maybe.

I was shocked how grungy this place is staircases, kitchen, wash rooms, laundry room all of it nasty I DON'T recommend even if your desperate.

I did not enjoy my stay here, it was extremely noisy from the bar below and the shower rooms/toilets were dirty.

Room 222 was vey grim & dark. Our view was of another building with literally a hole in the wall. There was only 4 outlets for an 8 bed dorm. The beds would creak at any slightest movement which made for loud nights. One guy at reception was quite rude to us during our stay. The only thing I really liked was the great location and the kitchen was spacious.

Super strict staff in later hours so non-guests can't enter. Rooms and corridors smell damp as the carpets probably have not been cleaned in years. Right above a bar/club so pretty noisy. Staff acted like they were doing us a huge favour when we wanted to leave our backpacks at the reception after check out time. Stayed in Nomad Queenstown as well and the experience, vibe and facilities are incomparable. Stay in Base only in case of emergency.

• 22nd Nov 2015
  • Slovakia

My bed linens were extremely dirty: the pillowcase was so full of hair I don't even think it ever saw the washing machine.

Unfortunately the people in my room invited some more people over and had a party in the room the night I was staying there. They left after I asked them to a little past midnight. This is not a place to stay if you like it quiet.