Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

The atmosphere in this hostel was one of the best I've ever experienced. The staff were amazing, the Kiwi crawl was excellent. It was such good craic! However the kitchen and dining room were appalling. Our bag of food was stolen out of the fridge on the first day. The few cookers that were there for several hundred people were all placed so closely together that cooking was a nightmare and most pots were missing handles. The kitchen and dining room were filthy and there was milk everywhere.

Hi there, thanks for letting us know what you thought of your stay at Base. I'm glad the staff looked after you. I'm sorry to see that your food went missing during your stay & that other guests hadn't been respectful enough to clean up after themselves in the kitchen after meals. We do have staff that regularly check the kitchen & tidy up after people, we do apologise for the state that you found the kitchen. Thanks & happy travels, J Smith Base

Kitchen was disgusting and rarely had enough cutlery etc for even a small fraction of the guests. Beds were fine and bathrooms were kept relatively clean but floors in rooms are not vaccumed enough. Night staff were not properly trained to deal with disturbances and long term guests were not reprimanded for aggressive behaviour. It is a shame this hostel is so run so badly.

Hi there, thanks for submitting your feedback on your stay over the busy New Year period. You mentioned the kitchen being dirty & not enough cutlery. As you can imagine we are super busy over that period with a lot of folks. I can assure you we do check our kitchen regularly throughout the day, but cannot promise that all guests will clean up after themselves. For this we do apologise. We have since employed new staff for the nights & have received better feedback. Thanks for your time, J Smith

All in all quite an average hostel but good value for money.

Hi there, Thanks for staying at Base Queenstown and taking time to give us feedback via Hostelworld. I'm glad you thought we were good value for money, however you thought we were just an 'average' hostel. Can I ask what areas you think we could make improvements? Any further feedback from you would be helpful. Once again, thank you for your time and I hope you get time to see one of our other Base properties throughout your travels. Kind regards, J Smith Hostel manager

This was the worst hostel we stayed in on our whole trip through new Zealand. We decided to be in Queenstown for Christmas and it ruined the whole experience. My girlfriend and I decided to go for a double ensuite as a treat for Christmas and found we were staying in what felt like a prison cell/cave. The room had no window and the bed was made up of 2 singles pushed together. No air con, just a rattly old fan and it smelled like damp. We think it was an old cupbourd. No Christmas spirit anyware

• 24th Dec 2013

We would not recommend to stay here. There are plenty of other possibilities, same price, better atmosphere and definitely cleaner. It seemed that the housekeeping doesn't want to clean the bathrooms and toiletts. You can't cook there because there are not enough pans and pots or even plates, knifes, forks etc.. Just one toaster and one small water boiler isn't enough for such a big hostel, too. Very loud and stinky... Only good thing new couchs in the tv room.

Not a place to go if you want to sleep...

Base Queenstown provides really good value for money. I was very happy for the one night that I stayed at Base Queenstown. Staff was very polite and helpfull and accommodation and facilities were clean. I will come back in January for a longer period at your Base; nice to be there!!!

• 24th Nov 2013

- Great location. Had the best view overlooking the town (and Fergberger haha) - Staff were really friendly and helpful with booking other activities (canyon swing, Milford Sound, pub crawls)

• 7th Nov 2013