Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

Not enough communal space for the number of beds in the hostel. Ladies on the desk during the day very helpful and friendly, however had food confiscated for no apparent reason and unfair demands forces upon us by the night staff. Not enough storage space in bedrooms (4 lockers for 8 beds) and staff then asking our belongings to be removed. Overall a good hostel, but the no drinking or socialising rules make it hard to meet people and have fun. Wifi is rubbish, do not pay extra for premium.

• 3rd Mar 2015

Hi Rhea, thanks for your feedback on your stay at Base. In regards to the no eating policy upstairs, it is signposted before heading back up at night. It's enforced to try & keep noise levels down as we found people hang out in the halls eating & chatting which travels throughout the hostel. The no drink policy upstairs is also due to local liquor licensing laws as we have an onsite bar that does not allow BYO. The communal area is something we are working on & understand. Regards, J.Smith

Great location, friendly staff, nice people... very expensive compared to similar hostels in Australia but that seems to be the norm for lots of kiwi places.

Hi Christine, thanks for letting us know about your recent stay at Base Queenstown. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the service we offer and that both the staff and travelers were friendly and helpful. I hope you continue to visit our Base properties and enjoy the remainder of your travels. Kind regards, J.Smith

The reception area was amazing! The staff super helpful on all things travel related. Now the cons: The kitchen is an absolute nightmare! During the dinner rush, it is nearly impossible to cook, clean dishes or find the proper cookware ( 4 forks in the whole building). The stoves are all too close, and the lighters were all out so we were lighting the burners with sticks of pasta from already lite burners. Hot as heck in there. Definitely needs to be updated and rearranged.

Hi Kelsi, thanks for your feedback about your stay at Base. Great to see the staff were helpful. We are aware of the problems incurred with the kitchen and are awaiting approval to renovate the kitchen area to a larger space. We do replace kitchenware often, but find that it tends to 'go walkies'. I do hope that this doesn't stop you from visiting another Base or us here in Queenstown again. Good luck in your travels. Regards, J.Smith

It worked out just fine for me. I'll certainly consider it when next in Queenstown. cheers

• 28th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

So Noisy every night because there's a Party every night in the Same Building Dirty bathrooms

Clean hostel and really nice staff, just few minutes walk from the centre, but really really noisy at night...

We only stayed at the Base because it was the only hostel with beds left in Queenstown...and we wished we had gone camping! The location is great, just in the city centre, but that's about it. We payed way too much money for that night in a sterile hostel, with endless floors with the feeling of a prison...and a kitchen way too crowded, a laundry way too expensive and a bad atmosphere.

• 26th Feb 2015

Good location in the middle of Queentown. The facilities were in good condition. Free internet would be nice, however in NZ that isn't always the case so not a big minus. Had a nice atmosphere the two nights I was there.

Staff were rude . Excessive amount of small nickel and dime fees . Everyone required own key, towels were for a fee, bag storage for a fee. Only hostel in NZ that needed to photocopy our id's. Staff got rude when queried about the id scanning . Won't be returning.

Cheap, good for partying. Don't go here if you want a nice relaxing night!!

Paid more than I did for nomads queenstown which was a much much better hostel! No free breakfast or dinner provided, felt dirty and dark and no hot water.

I have stayed in many hostels located next to or above Clubs and Pubs but never have I ever had nights as horrible as here, trying to sleep with insanely loud music. The hostel lacks personality and you feel trapped without the lack of outdoor space. The showers were disgusting and only allow one temperature of 'Lukewarm'. Also for a hostel so big each bed should have it's own power point as there was barely enough in my dorm. As a positive the Tv room was my favourite space.

was really cool! although there were hardly any power plugs. hard for 8 people to use 1 plug with a multi box

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Kitchen was not in good working order. A hot water dispenser would be an excellent investment as the kettles were broken both mornings I was there and not all burners were functional (also, could only find one decent pot with handle to boil water for coffee). Other than that, location was great, wasn't too noisy considering the size of the hostel, and the staff were very friendly. The laundry facilities were fine, and showers/bathrooms clean.

• 16th Feb 2015

Hostel was very loud throughout the night due to bar/ club underneath. Anyone could walk in and go upstairs but rooms have lockers under the bed. Kitchen and bathrooms not very clean. Even though 'ensuite' rooms, toilet and shower are outside the room so can still be used by everyone. Daniel on the travel desk was helpful when booking our Milford sound trip. Shame you have to pay $18 (for 7 days) for the 'quick' internet which drops out at night and is actually rather slow!

Great price, location and facilities. Clean rooms and friendly helpful staff, lots of young people, parties and fun stuff to do. On the downside - it is very LOUD. It's next to a bar so the bass kept me up all night, and people out in the hallway drying hair and yelling during the night. Super fun place, but not great if you need a good night sleep.

Bedding didn't feel or smell clean, my bunk bed was held up with masking tape (not very reassuring!), didn't feel clean especially in communal areas and kitchen is nowhere near big enough for number if guests. Liked the free breakfast and was quite cheap overall for a central hostel in Queenstown but I can see why!

The room I got had a bath tub. First bath in months!

Wifi in bedrooms was terrible. Also only 4 powerpoints index an 8 bedroom dorm was quite annoying.. Location and atmosphere were awesome though

Good location, hostel was kept clean and secure. They do charge for every little thing though. While things like wifi are advertised, they charge for it and many other amenities. Overall not a bad stay.

• 30th Jan 2015