Base Queenstown Reviews

49 Shotover Street, PO Box 1658, Queenstown, New Zealand

To be honest this is one of those that I will not recommend. Not worth wats paid for. It was way too crowded and old, resulting in it being dirty. Kitchen's not well ventilated and there's not enough space just to just enjoy a good dinner. Room smells even though its cleaned daily. No free wifi. We stayed for a week, moved to a nearby hostel on our last day which was cheaper, so much cleaner & wifi. To be fair, its a party place. Staff are cool but you get a loud busy bar right downstairs.

Too loud at night, you could feel the vibration from the bar underneath

• 11th Mar 2015

Hi Franziska, thank you for giving us feedback regarding your stay at Base Queenstown. I'm sorry to hear that the bass from the bar kept you up at night. . I do apologise for this. We at Base do make it clear we're a property with a bar attached, however I will bring the levels of bass to the attention of our GM. I hope that this doesn't put you off visiting another one of our properties in the remainder of your travels. Warm regards, J.Smith

Overall a fine hostel, but nothing special.

Hi Michael, Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Base Queenstown. I see you think that it is 'OK' to stay here, but what do you think we need to do to make this a better experience? Please let us know via email. I do hope you get a chance to visit one of our other properties on the remainder of your holiday. Kind regards and happy travels, J.Smith

The location is perfect! Al other thing pretty good

Hi Benjamin, Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Base Queenstown. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your time here and we hope that you can return to stay with us again in the future. If not, please make a visit to one of our other properties on the remainder of your holiday. Kind regards and happy travels, J.Smith

central and cheap, but dirty like ****.

Hi Konstantin, thanks for your feedback in regards to your stay at Base Queenstown. It's a shame to see you didn't think our housekeeping was up to standard. Can I ask if you have any specific feedback on the areas we need to make improvements on to avoid this feedback in the future? If you could contact us via email that would be appreciated. Once again thank you for your time Konstantin. Kind regards and happy travels, J.Smith

Not enough communal space for the number of beds in the hostel. Ladies on the desk during the day very helpful and friendly, however had food confiscated for no apparent reason and unfair demands forces upon us by the night staff. Not enough storage space in bedrooms (4 lockers for 8 beds) and staff then asking our belongings to be removed. Overall a good hostel, but the no drinking or socialising rules make it hard to meet people and have fun. Wifi is rubbish, do not pay extra for premium.

• 3rd Mar 2015

Hi Rhea, thanks for your feedback on your stay at Base. In regards to the no eating policy upstairs, it is signposted before heading back up at night. It's enforced to try & keep noise levels down as we found people hang out in the halls eating & chatting which travels throughout the hostel. The no drink policy upstairs is also due to local liquor licensing laws as we have an onsite bar that does not allow BYO. The communal area is something we are working on & understand. Regards, J.Smith

Great location, friendly staff, nice people... very expensive compared to similar hostels in Australia but that seems to be the norm for lots of kiwi places.

Hi Christine, thanks for letting us know about your recent stay at Base Queenstown. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the service we offer and that both the staff and travelers were friendly and helpful. I hope you continue to visit our Base properties and enjoy the remainder of your travels. Kind regards, J.Smith

The reception area was amazing! The staff super helpful on all things travel related. Now the cons: The kitchen is an absolute nightmare! During the dinner rush, it is nearly impossible to cook, clean dishes or find the proper cookware ( 4 forks in the whole building). The stoves are all too close, and the lighters were all out so we were lighting the burners with sticks of pasta from already lite burners. Hot as heck in there. Definitely needs to be updated and rearranged.

Hi Kelsi, thanks for your feedback about your stay at Base. Great to see the staff were helpful. We are aware of the problems incurred with the kitchen and are awaiting approval to renovate the kitchen area to a larger space. We do replace kitchenware often, but find that it tends to 'go walkies'. I do hope that this doesn't stop you from visiting another Base or us here in Queenstown again. Good luck in your travels. Regards, J.Smith

It worked out just fine for me. I'll certainly consider it when next in Queenstown. cheers

• 28th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

So Noisy every night because there's a Party every night in the Same Building Dirty bathrooms

Clean hostel and really nice staff, just few minutes walk from the centre, but really really noisy at night...

We only stayed at the Base because it was the only hostel with beds left in Queenstown...and we wished we had gone camping! The location is great, just in the city centre, but that's about it. We payed way too much money for that night in a sterile hostel, with endless floors with the feeling of a prison...and a kitchen way too crowded, a laundry way too expensive and a bad atmosphere.

• 26th Feb 2015

Good location in the middle of Queentown. The facilities were in good condition. Free internet would be nice, however in NZ that isn't always the case so not a big minus. Had a nice atmosphere the two nights I was there.

Staff were rude . Excessive amount of small nickel and dime fees . Everyone required own key, towels were for a fee, bag storage for a fee. Only hostel in NZ that needed to photocopy our id's. Staff got rude when queried about the id scanning . Won't be returning.

Cheap, good for partying. Don't go here if you want a nice relaxing night!!

Paid more than I did for nomads queenstown which was a much much better hostel! No free breakfast or dinner provided, felt dirty and dark and no hot water.

I have stayed in many hostels located next to or above Clubs and Pubs but never have I ever had nights as horrible as here, trying to sleep with insanely loud music. The hostel lacks personality and you feel trapped without the lack of outdoor space. The showers were disgusting and only allow one temperature of 'Lukewarm'. Also for a hostel so big each bed should have it's own power point as there was barely enough in my dorm. As a positive the Tv room was my favourite space.

was really cool! although there were hardly any power plugs. hard for 8 people to use 1 plug with a multi box

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Kitchen was not in good working order. A hot water dispenser would be an excellent investment as the kettles were broken both mornings I was there and not all burners were functional (also, could only find one decent pot with handle to boil water for coffee). Other than that, location was great, wasn't too noisy considering the size of the hostel, and the staff were very friendly. The laundry facilities were fine, and showers/bathrooms clean.

• 16th Feb 2015

Hostel was very loud throughout the night due to bar/ club underneath. Anyone could walk in and go upstairs but rooms have lockers under the bed. Kitchen and bathrooms not very clean. Even though 'ensuite' rooms, toilet and shower are outside the room so can still be used by everyone. Daniel on the travel desk was helpful when booking our Milford sound trip. Shame you have to pay $18 (for 7 days) for the 'quick' internet which drops out at night and is actually rather slow!