Base Rotorua Reviews

1286 Arawa St, Rotorua, New Zealand

The kitchen is really really small. I had to wait an hour to get a pan so I could cook.

Hi Lisa, thank you for your review! Our customer feedback is important to us as it is how we know what we are doing right, and also the areas in which we can improve! Thanks to your review we have now re-stocked our Kitchen with pots, pans, cutlery and dishes! Come back and visit if you pass through again!! We would love to have you back!

The kitchen is way tiny! I had to wait 1.5 hours untill I could cook!

The dorm I had was next to the bar so all night till 3 am there is really load music. and it's hard to have a good sleep. A part from that, i have nothing else to say

The rooms were very cosy and tidy, and the location was excellent. However, the hostel was very noisy - we weren't even there in weekend, but still there was a lot of running around in stairs and corridors at night, lould talking and shouting, even singing... The place only calmed down after the Lava Bar closed for the night. The distant noise in the bar didn't bother us, but the staff should have required silence in the actual hostel premises after midnight - now they did nothing about it.

Great place to stay, clean and confortable rooms, in the side if the Lava Bar, when i spend all my nights drinking and playing pool, awesome!!

Gets the job done.

Hostel was nice, large rooms with clean bathroom and a pool to chill out in (although hot)!! Lady at reception was a bit arsey when we checked in though! Hostel bar was good, got really busy about 10pm. Make sure u go and see the lion cubs at paradise valley - too cute!! Oh, and my bacon Sarnie was nowhere to be seen!!

This hostel may be in a quiet town, but is certainly not boring. The bar had great drink specials and a variety of foods on the menu. The front desk staff were really nice and accomodating and answered all of our questions about zorbing and rafting. It was ease to check in and out and also gave us advice on good restaurants around town. Will stay there again if i ever get the chance to go back

Once again my stay here was great. The Lava bar was fun times, and the staff were wonderful! We had great weather and got to walk around the town, with the location of the hostel being in a fantastic spot. I most certainly recommend this Base to anyone!!!

This base was phenomenal!! The pool was very warm which was amazing after rafting on a rainy day. The room was clean and spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. The food at the bar was well priced and had a better selection than most bars (more than just chips etc). Would definitely stay at this Base again!

This was a fantastic experience. The area was amazing, and the reception staff were helpful in every way. They helped us get to our water rafting, zorbing, and even gave us tips on where to go around town. The room was great and the cleaning staff did a wonderful job. Can't complain about that awesome pool either!!

Very Good!

Very friendly staff on arrival - outstanding value for money room - clean, well located.

This was my first time ever in a hostel. I really enjoyed it. The rooms were quite spacious I thought (I was in an 8 bed room), and every day the room was cleaned and made ready for new arrivals. A really relaxed atmosphere, no stress, pretty laid back - that as I, as a Kiwi, really appreciated. It was quite cool, as a 'local'. to hear what the backpackers had to say. And they were pretty positive about this one! I would stay here again, I had an awesome time!

• 4th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

Very friendly hostel, reception staff made me feel like I was at home! Will definitely be staying again on my way back up the country.

• 7th Dec 2013

Other than the small muck up with the rooms, my friend and I had a really good time. Thank you all the staff at the base Rotorua, and The Lava Bar, Specially want to say thanks to the Security Lady with glasses at the Lava Bar for cooking my dipping basket, was exactly what I needed at that time of night..... Will come back there for sure From Audrey

• 8th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you for such an outstanding stay Base Rotorua. The staff were so friendly and helpful, special mention to Steph, she was always smiling and so helpful and informative. Rooms were clean and I was lucky enough to steal the double bed in my dorm room. Am definitely coming back here =) =)

• 8th Nov 2013