Base St Kilda

8.2
Fabulous 1419 Total Reviews

12th Aug 2017
7.1

When I checked in I didn't get shown round anywhere or told where anything was, felt a bit intimidated with all the men in the bar so didn't venture off on my own being a young female. Didn't enjoy being only female in 8 bed mixed dorm either but never mind. Rooms were very basic, I could feel the springs in my mattress. I would stay in Melbourne itself next time. Would be ok if you were with someone else. Music is SO loud till about 2/3am if you're wanting to get up early the next day.

• Ireland, Female, 25-30
30th Jul 2017

The hostel was great, booked for 3 nights stayed two weeks. Really enjoyed my time here lots going on at the hostel and the new food menu is amazing. Only thing that let's it down is some of the staff and their attitudes - I had my food stolen and two of the girls just stood and looked at me blanky untill another girl came over. Food stealing seems to quite common at Base so be very wary! Otherwise a great stay and will be back to stay when I return to Melbourne in the new year.

28th Jul 2017
6.9

Wifi very temperamental.

Our wifi is fixed!!!! We had a pretty bad 2 days there but we got a technician all the way from Sydney and it's all good!!

• riekemindermann825
  • Germany, All Female Group, 18-24
25th Jul 2017

The people I've met and the memories I have, will stay with me forever. There is one highlight that I'll keep with me for life. My friend and I, both fell in love with a man named Ballsack. With his colorful leggings, amazing long hair and incredible pole dancing skills - he is the man every guy wants to be and that every girl wants to be, with especially his ass We will forever be your Mäuschens WE LOVE YOU BALLSACK!!! Du gibst mir Schmetterlinge in meinen Bauch

• Wales, Male, 18-24
24th Jul 2017

Location is great for the summer, walk out and go to the beach but in winter not much option but use the trams and go into the city centre which is great. The hostel has a great atmosphere, Monday night was great with the bingo and made friends very easily in only theee days.

Glad to hear you had a great stay and made some awesome mates! Come and check us out for summer and come see our new bar!

20th Jul 2017
7.4

Had a decent stay for a Friday - Sunday night at Base St. Kilda. There seemed to be quite a few people and workers who were living at the hostel for several weeks or longer - which is cool...but the group seemed to be clicky / already knew each other so it made it not quite as welcoming. While it was definitely convenient having a bar downstairs, it had a disproportionate number of English blokes - who especially enjoyed their booze...and therefore an abundance of dudes (sausage fest!).

Thanks for your stay and nice words. We do have a few long term backpackers staying over the winter months whilst they work in an around St.Kilda but we're a big family here and we're happy you were able to have some fun. Happy Travels

• Wales, Female, 25-30
19th Jul 2017

Great atmosphere at Base St Kilda, all staff are friendly and welcoming with great energy for the night life at the bar. Room was a fair size with good bathroom facilities but unfortunately the heater in our room wasn't working the whole stay and it was very cold during that time! Despite the cold I still enjoyed my stay at Base St Kilda and would recommend it to any backpacker :)

28th Jun 2017

Loved this place & will be back. Mostly to do with the city but the staff at the hostel were awesome. Always up for a laugh & there is something going on every night. Despite coming in winter, when most backpackers are trying to find work, it can be a little clicky, but socialising as a solo traveller was easy compared to other Oz hostels. 411- "ball sack" found himself in Budapest if you didn't know already, but a great host & good fun. If you have to guess his name, think of the bible & Greece

Ahhhhhhh the Ballsack....some say myth and others say he's real...whatever the case he dresses really badly. Thanks for your very kind words and your stay. Hope you have a great adventure around Aus and we see you again.

22nd Jun 2017
5.1

Staff was rude

Sorry to hear about that. Would love to know more if you could send the hostel an email. Cheers

• lisa4279
  • Scotland, Female, 18-24
22nd Jun 2017

Free WiFi shouldn't be limited.

Hello! thanks for your awesome review! We want to get people talking to each other and off their phones and we find by limiting the wifi (turning off the free version at 6pm) people start to talk a bit more. Glad you had a great stay and hopefully we see you again soon!