Base Sydney Reviews

477 Kent Street, NSW 2000 Australia, Sydney, Australia

I love the location, it was perfect! And the staff was friendly! But base was for me to big, especially in the lounge ; people were on their own. Another thing that I "didn't like" was the kitchen.. The kitchen stuff was not clean and it took long to boiled some water. But further; I had a great time in Sydney cause I had great roommates!

Guy who was checking me in didn't explain where what was, when I asked if there was free internet in the city (like at the Telstra phone boots) he gave me the wrong info, gave me the feeling he didn't have time for answering questions

• 18th Feb 2015

I stayed 3 nights and was quite happily accommodated. I had free shuttle service from the airport but as it turns out that was only one way. The location is so ideal! However the common "hang out" room is mostly in the foyer where you check in. small tv in the kitchen, not enough for people to sit around. Really flat pillows. Scary Canary nightclub/pub next door is amazing!!! great happy hour incentive.

Nice hostel with great location. Suitable for someone looking for parties I guess.

Stayed in an ensuite for 1 night and it was clean, quiet, and conveniently located. Only negative is that you have to pay for wi-fi.

Nothing to complain about! There is a lot of party people from what I saw, but nothing that bothered me.

• 25th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Location is super, like 2 minutes away from Town Hall, Supermarket and Darling Harbour is close by. The hygiene of the hostel is far far far away. Its a dirty and old place. The kitchen in the basement is even worse. Wouldn't go there again.

Rent? Nej, inte som vi hade läst i tidigare reviews. Köket var under all kritik. Det fanns nästan aldrig några bestick, skärbrädorna levde sitt eget liv, spisarna var så trötta att det inte ens gick att koka upp vatten. Det var ett nödvändigt ont att laga mat där. Rummen var ok. Sköna sängar men kuddarna var platta. Badrummen var skitiga. Det var inte tillåtet att dricka alkohol på rummet eller i allmänna utrymmen vilket vi tyckte var märkligt. Wifi kostar pengar och man kan inte dela på kontot.

• 18th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

We stayed there only for one night. Nice staff, close to city, train and bus station is right across the road which is perfect in case you have a lot of stuff to carry around, it's as clean as hostels can get and pretty cheap for a big city ;) nice bar next door (8$ for a beer though). X base hostels are usually a good choice.

• 16th Dec 2014

Hi Katrin, Thanks for you great review. We love hearing when someone sees how hard we work to give people a great experience ;) Our cleaning team works really hard every day so Ill pass our review forward to them too. Happy to hear that you liked our staff (they are awesome ;) ) Happy Travels and hope to see you back in Sydney one day!! Cheers, Base Crew Sydney

Bored staff, information at check-in laughable, keys didn't work. They said they'd lock front door after 10pm but it remained open. Last time at Base Sydney, for sure.

Hi Caroline, Thanks for staying at Base and for leaving a review behind. Shame to hear that you didn't had a good experience. We do leave our door open when we have a security guy at our door (on busy bar nights). I'm not sure what you mean by bored staff as we are extremely busy most of the time (so we love our quiet little moments ;)) I hope that whenever your back in Sydney again, you can give us another chance :) Safe Travels!! Base Crew Sydney

The good: Clean beds and rooms very good location extremely helpful and friendly staff The bad: Kitchen could use an upgrade Lift could use an upgrade

• 10th Dec 2014

Hi Nick, Thanks for staying at Base and thanks for your review. Our kitchen is getting an upgrade very very soon :) Happy to hear that you liked our staff and rooms (2 most important things I guess). We hope to see you back when your back in Sydney. Happy/Save Travels :) Cheers, Base Crew Sydney

Thanks Base Sydney for an awesome stay, not to mention my first ever dorm experience, thanks for popping that cherry! Facilities, location and staff absolutely amazing!! Can't wait to come back!

Hey Superstar!! Thanks for your great review. We love seeing reviews like this :) We hope to see you back soon!! Safe Travels!! Base Crew Sydney

Stayed here for two nights over the weekend. Hostel very busy but no atmosphere. Exceptionally dirty room. My bed sheets had not been changed and were covered in sand/ long hairs/ questionable stains. Beds also uncomfortable. No obvious facilities and limited common areas. Staff very unfriendly and useless in providing information regarding transport and eating options in the local area.

Hi Neil, Thanks for your review. Sounds like you didn't really like our hostel. I'm surprised that hear that you were in a really dirty room as we clean them daily and we do spring cleans for multiple rooms a day. We always are happy to move people to another room if they are unhappy. I'm especially surprised about your staff comment as we get great staff reviews. I hope you would give us another chance sometime so we can prove to you that we are awesome! Safe Travels, Base Crew Sydney

Windows int he rooms couldn't be opened, quite bad smell with 6 guys in there. Shower was full of mold, pressure was a joke Beds were extremely shaky (loose or missing screws)

Hi Mark, Thanks for your review. Unfortunately hostels in Sydney CBD are not aloud to have opening windows because of security reasons, luckily we have our internal aircon. We clean the bathrooms 4 times every 24 hours so its a shame you caught it on a bad time. We are doing some major updates in the building so we hope you can give us another chance to prove ourselves ;) Happy travels, Base Crew Sydney

Location is just 5 mins from Town Hall station, absolutely good for backpackers. I have got a toilet and bathroom inside the 5-bedroom dorm and it's clean. Thumbs up for such good quality. Just that lift is rather old and breaks down from time to time, and it was annoying as I have a medium-sized luggage with me.

Hi Simon, Thanks for your review. I'm sorry about our elevator unfortunately its heritage listed so we are unable to replace it, thats why we tell most people to take the stairs (although its better to wait with heavy bags ;)) We hope to see you back, Safe Travels Base Crew Sydney

Private Double room really good. The only thing would be the bar close to the hotel which stop at 12am.

• 14th Nov 2014

The Sanctuary rooms that i have stayed in previously are heaps better than just the standard dorm rooms - take note girls!! The carpets could do with being ripped up and floor boards put down as they kinda smell...

Hi Renee, Thanks for your review. We are updating our carpet as we speak so if you ever come back to Sydney, Ill promise that we have some better smelling carpet ;) Happy Travels, Base Crew Sydney

The kitchen needs major updating- more cutlery, crockery, hobs that work. Staff were often rude and the organised beach BBQ was an excuse for the reps to get drunk, they didn't try to include everyone and get people to socialise. Bedrooms are clean and usually spacious although the 2nd room we were in was too small. Should be able to store luggage in the luggage room, not have to pay to do so.

• 13th Nov 2014

decent place, excited to be back!

Hi Nina, Short and great review, that's how we like it ;) Welcome back!! Kind Regards, Jeroen Guest Services Manager Base Sydney

Everything is good in this hostel except the fact that we have to pay to have Internet !! No where else in the world we would pay for Internet guys...