Base Sydney Reviews

477 Kent Street, NSW 2000 Australia, Sydney, Australia

Great place to stay in a great location. Friendly welcome. Rooms were ok and clean Would stay there again.

No issues while staying here. The room was clean and facilities were clean.

• 20th Mar 2015

This is definitely a place for young travelers who like to party. Expect staff to knock on your door in the evening promoting drink specials for the bar next door. Cleanliness was ok. Curtains didn't shut properly letting light stream in.

Way too hot in the room at night. Pretty crappy in-room facilities for $55/night

Pretty standard Base hostel: dirty and smelly and untidy... The staff were really helpful and fun, but the rooms smelled like sweat and sour milk, the carpets were stained and covered in gum, and the bathrooms reminded me of an old swimming pool changing rooms. Fire alarm apparently went off at 4am meaning we all had to evacuate. However it didn't go off in my room which is obviously a huge safety problem... Luckily it was a false alarm. Bearable for one night because of location.

Great location. Moved rooms during my stay, both 6 bed dorms however the second was much better with a window and more room. Loud at night but to be expected with a bar attached.

Location is excellent. Close to everything. Seven eleven just a few meters away. BUT.... The noisiest hostel I have ever been. There is a club at the ground floor that plays absurdly loud music till early morning on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Ear plugs wouldn't work. Nobody in the room managed to sleep until 03.00. If you need to sleep I don't think you'll be able to, unless your room is in the highest floor.

the only thing i might suggest would be to ad hand soap and a toiletbrush to the toilets in the dorm rooms

I love the location, it was perfect! And the staff was friendly! But base was for me to big, especially in the lounge ; people were on their own. Another thing that I "didn't like" was the kitchen.. The kitchen stuff was not clean and it took long to boiled some water. But further; I had a great time in Sydney cause I had great roommates!

Had a Great stay for 6 nights! :) Ladies floor toilets could of had a shampoo/conditioner/soap holder in showers & a seat just outside would of been handy 2 put your belongings & clothes on... like BOUNCE Hostel has in all there showers. Also, a T.V/Lounge area could be added to the place to make it easier for all backpackers to socialize & meet one another!! Cheers :D

Great people, great times!!!

Was a proper hostel but nothing great. Location is good as it is near the train station. Staff is helpful but not all of them are so welcoming (one danish guy working there seems to have a difficulty to smile). Noise with the club just next to the hostel makes it not very easy to sleep as you find a lot of drunk people around the hostel.

Guy who was checking me in didn't explain where what was, when I asked if there was free internet in the city (like at the Telstra phone boots) he gave me the wrong info, gave me the feeling he didn't have time for answering questions

• 18th Feb 2015

I stayed 3 nights and was quite happily accommodated. I had free shuttle service from the airport but as it turns out that was only one way. The location is so ideal! However the common "hang out" room is mostly in the foyer where you check in. small tv in the kitchen, not enough for people to sit around. Really flat pillows. Scary Canary nightclub/pub next door is amazing!!! great happy hour incentive.

Nice hostel with great location. Suitable for someone looking for parties I guess.

Stayed in an ensuite for 1 night and it was clean, quiet, and conveniently located. Only negative is that you have to pay for wi-fi.

Nothing to complain about! There is a lot of party people from what I saw, but nothing that bothered me.

• 25th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Location is super, like 2 minutes away from Town Hall, Supermarket and Darling Harbour is close by. The hygiene of the hostel is far far far away. Its a dirty and old place. The kitchen in the basement is even worse. Wouldn't go there again.

Rent? Nej, inte som vi hade läst i tidigare reviews. Köket var under all kritik. Det fanns nästan aldrig några bestick, skärbrädorna levde sitt eget liv, spisarna var så trötta att det inte ens gick att koka upp vatten. Det var ett nödvändigt ont att laga mat där. Rummen var ok. Sköna sängar men kuddarna var platta. Badrummen var skitiga. Det var inte tillåtet att dricka alkohol på rummet eller i allmänna utrymmen vilket vi tyckte var märkligt. Wifi kostar pengar och man kan inte dela på kontot.

• 18th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

We stayed there only for one night. Nice staff, close to city, train and bus station is right across the road which is perfect in case you have a lot of stuff to carry around, it's as clean as hostels can get and pretty cheap for a big city ;) nice bar next door (8$ for a beer though). X base hostels are usually a good choice.

• 16th Dec 2014

Hi Katrin, Thanks for you great review. We love hearing when someone sees how hard we work to give people a great experience ;) Our cleaning team works really hard every day so Ill pass our review forward to them too. Happy to hear that you liked our staff (they are awesome ;) ) Happy Travels and hope to see you back in Sydney one day!! Cheers, Base Crew Sydney