Base Taupo Reviews

7 Tuwharetoa Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

No forks in the kitchen

I came to Taupo with a bus in the middle of the night. To Base I had to go two minutees from where my bus dropped me. And it was easy to check in at that time of the night. The downside is that it's pretty loud in the evening and at night what makes sleeping not an easy task.

I stayed at Base Taupo for one night at the end of April. The location of the hostel is great, you've got the lake front at one side of the building, a park at another side and then all the center town shops and food places to the other side! It's also only a 2 minute walk from where my mana bus dropped me off. The staff that welcomed me was super helpful, explaining all the best places to go were, and how much they were. The hostel was clean all round. STAY HERE FOR MONEY WORTH.

• 30th Apr 2015

I got to the base hostel and they told me there was an error on the booking with hostelworld.com and As this was a long weekend they were fully booked in all the hostels in town. they didn't give me a solution at the hostel and they told me they have contacted hostelworld to let me know about this issue. no one from hostelworld contacted me either.

Found the staff and hostel very modern and attractive. But my stomach churned when i saw the kitchen and although we were there overnight, it was not cleaned from the time we arrived until the time we left. There was no one monitoring the area and it was easy for people to leave their rubbish around no one to watch. Also ask for a room not facing the street or over the bar as there was noise until 3 am. I reported it to the staff and they can't do much, however i wish they had another option

Hi there, Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Taupo. I noted that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the guest kitchen which is not good news. Here at base we see the cleanliness and functionality of our communal kitchen as a huge priority. This are is cleaned 3 times daily at 11am, 3pm and at 11pm. We would like to apologise that on this occasion it did not meet standards and hope you return to Base in the future so we can exceed your expectations. Happy Travels, Base Taupo

Disappointing to find on arrival both wet tshirt and bikini contests advertised as fun evening activities - not my type of hostel. Limited communal lounge areas. Noisey at night but that's the price you pay for the excellent location. Bunk was incredibly squeaky and wobbly making it difficult to roll over without waking your bunk buddy. Staff were nice enough.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. We hope you had an awesome time enjoying beautiful Taupo and we thank you for the feedback. We have solved the issue of your squeaky bunk by doing some routine bolt tightening on our bunks, to help our guests enjoy a more restful nights sleep. Although our nightly entertainment may not have been to your taste, they are very popular throughout the summer and are always tastefully executed. Happy Travels and enjoy NZ! Base Taupo