Base Wanaka Reviews

Level 1, 73 Brownston Street, Wanaka, Wanaka, New Zealand

Everyone was nice and my room was nice but the kitchen was DISGUSTING. Note: if you plan to cook, I would not stay here. To begin, there were not nearly enough cooking utensils or dishware so we were waiting for other people to finish eating and cooking to use theirs. The cookware is absolutely disgusting and unhealthy. There is burnt old food stuck to the pots and the handles are broken. If you want to get sick, you can cook out of these, otherwise eat out.

Nice staff but quite big hostel so not so not so personal for hanging with other guests

Feels like a hotel if you're staying in the private rooms. Dorms are good, ensuite bathrooms, very clean, hotel quality bedding, free towels. Could do with lockers in room, but room does have security key. Excellent location and free parking only 2 min walk away. No drinking allowed in the rooms (if that's an issue). Staff seemed a bit ambivalent but were fine at their job. It didn't seem that friendly a hostel but that can depend on who is there at the time.

Nice hostel great for a night or two ....

Would've been perfect if we'd had lockers in the room and free wifi.

Loved base wanaka! Keep hearing to stay away from base but to be honest that's only Queenstown and Auckland everywhere else has been incredible for me!

Is a great hostel with bad decitions. Clean and close the kitchen at 10pm. Very bad. Choose other time or not close the kitchen. The staff of the kitchen is not enough. Small kitchen for huge hostel. Cool water to have a showet, very bad. The wifi nowadays is for free, pay for wifi, very bad.

If you like to sleep at night just don't go there!! Stayed for 2 nights and did not sleep a wink! No point in giving you a bed really. I was told by a member of staff that, 'it is a hostel and that it is to be expected', which was very annoying to hear at 2.30am. Perhaps I'm wrong but having paid for a bed I was expecting to sleep at night. Nightmare!!

My trip was enjoyable, staff were great and facilitieswere also except I did leave behind a pair of Blue Brooks running shoes, is there anyway to get them sent to me?

• 12th Nov 2015

Didnt like the atmosphere, its a very cold hostel, full of advertising.

For your basic hostel, it wasn't too bad but it was the least impressive one we stayed at during our two week road trip through New Zealand. The bedrooms/baths were clean but the bunk beds were without a doubt the noisiest thing I've ever slept on. You have to pay for everything (rather than a deposit that you get back) and the common rooms were very messy and therefore unwelcoming. Staff was nice, but that aside everything felt "corporate" and more about making $ than the customer experience.