Base Wanaka

Good 341 Total Reviews
Good 341 Total Reviews

2nd Apr 2017
8.0

Classic Base: dorms and bathrooms are clean, the kitchen is a total mess (and this one is way too small), can get noisy at night. Location is perfect.

• England, Female, 18-24
31st Mar 2017
8.0

Good location, decent facilities, like a little Queenstown! Roy's Peak hike is a must.

• England, Male, 25-30
7.7

Pretty good overall. This is a very big hostel. The kitchen was way too small for the number of guests. This is a Kiwi Experience hostel, so it gets flooded with all of those guys when the bus rocks up in the afternoon. It was clean and in a pretty good location in town though.

6.0

Pros: Huge place. You're likely to meet young people to party with. It's central. Cons: absolute party mess. One room out of two had people drinking and screaming in it. The beds are cheap and make a gong show if you just look at them. The rooms are tiny and have no lockers. The free wifi stops at 7pm (after that, you gotta buy it). The kitchen is way too small for the size of the place.The fact that the communal space close early makes all the kids predrink in the dorm rooms.

• Germany, Female, 18-24
7.1

The rooms were clean and so were the bathrooms, but the kitchen was a total mess. Was never clean when I was there. That has to do a lot with other hostel guests and not really with the hostel itself, but they should still check every once in a while if it's clean. Location was good, staff was really nice as well. There is a bar downstairs, where you can get food as well. There are locker in the rooms, what is really good! All in all it was a good hostel.

• England, Female, 25-30
24th Mar 2017
6.9

Kitchen absolutely disgusting - this is always because of the people that stay rather than the hostel itself, but for whatever reason base hostel kitchens are the worst!! Staff were very friendly Rooms pretty good but no lockers which would have been good to have Great location

• Israel, Female, 25-30
18th Mar 2017
6.0

Very big so there are available rooms. Showers and toilets far from the room, not so clean. Wifi didn't work at all

Hi Thank you for taking your time to leave a review we do appreciate your feedback, We have communal toilets all across the 1st floor which is where our dorm rooms are and we have En-suites with all of our private rooms these are all cleaned 3 times daily. Our Wifi is usually working fine but as you can imagine on the odd occasion there can be technical difficulties which is out of our control and in any incident like this we would always be more than happy to refund the paid WIFI so I hope you bought this up with my staff members. Hope to see you here again in the future. Kind Regards

• England, Female, 25-30
14th Mar 2017
7.4

I was weary of staying in a Base as I've only heard bad things, but this one was pretty decent. Good central location, just a few minutes to the lake and right next to a big supermarket. 6 bed dorm was tiny (a friend was staying in an 8 bed which was over double the size!) but lockers provided and shower facilities were fine. Kitchen was okay but not the cleanest and I'm surprised nobody injures themselves on the mental hobs. Staff were friendly and overall, a decent place to stay in Wanaka.

12th Mar 2017

Perfect location. Outlets and light in every bunk which is a huge plus for base! I always stay at base for the atmosphere, simply because I usually travel alone. This base was not as fun as most of my experiences has been with them. Also, staff was the least helpful out of all bases as well. However, would stay again if in Wanaka.

Hi Thank you for taking your time to leave a review, I apologise about my unhelpful staff I will be bringing this up and can assure you it wont happen again. Its great to see you would stay with us again, please let me know and I will make sure you are well looked after. Kind Regards

• Australia, Female, 25-30
9th Mar 2017

Helpful staff, great bar downstairs but noise doesn't seem to reach the dorms at night. Super clean bathrooms, water always hot. Close to everything. Free wifi is not the best but hey, that's about all I could complain about.

Hi Thank you for taking your time to leave a review we do appreciate your feedback , it great top see you enjoyed your stay here at Base Wanaka and we hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards