Base Wanaka Reviews

Level 1, 73 Brownston Street, Wanaka, Wanaka, New Zealand

Great stay! Dorm rooms were clean, with a welcoming atmosphere. Nice reception area, with friendly helpful staff. Perfect location, with great view of the mountains! Definitely worth a stay :)

• 24th May 2015

The night security were really nice, I checked in late and they assisted me really good. Kitchen were clean and bed was comfy. I will definitely go back to this hostel.

• 22nd May 2015

Quite simply one of the best Xbase hostels we've ever stayed in New Zealand Were in an ensuite double room- as good as hotels we've been in. Everything was super. Highly recommended

• 19th May 2015

Awesome hostel! really friendly staff who are very helpful with local tips and really went out of the way to make sure I had a great stay. Will definitely return :)

The room with private ensuite was perfect and we really enjoyed our room! Wish we would have had a day or two more to enjoy the nice hostel!

• 11th Apr 2015

Lockers or cupboards for your stuff in the tiny rooms would be helpful. Kitchen a dangerous disaster with the gas hobs that do work flaring with huge flames. Kiwi experience buses arrived daily with around 50 people, most to the kitchen and showers making a huge crowded mess. Doors bang shut all night and day. They have to be closed very carefully to make them not bang loudly. I wouldn't stay there again. Good things are close to a supermarket and the kitchen has a freezer.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Hated everything about this hostel. Reception shuts at 10, the kitchen shuts at 10, the common areas all shut at 10 and I arrived at 9:45. There is nowhere to go and nothing you can do. The kitchen is filthy and under equipped and other people kept putting their stuff under my bed, lifting my rucksack on top of me whilst I slept to get at the security cage. Staff were also extremely slow and mostly unhelpful. Worst I experienced in 5 weeks in NZ.

Great stay, nice and clean.

Quite simply one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in. Were in an ensuite double room- as good as many hotels we've been in. Everything was super. Highly recommmended

• 29th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

I hated the base hostels. I've stayed at over 10 hostels in new zealand so far and the base hostels were by far the worst. Will never stay in another Base hostel again.

Great place to stay. Generally clean and very tidy. Kitchen is too small and not enough of a common area for just chilling. But staff were super nice. :)

Everywhere in the hostel closes at 10pm - kitchen, tv room, reception area !

This hostel has a supermarket at it's doors, and is a five minute walk to the beach and is right in the centre of town! The toilets and showers are super clean, and security couldn't be better - swipe cards for each of us to get into our rooms! the only problem was that the stoves in the kitchen were stressful - it was near impossible to control the temperature - the choices were hot or very hot and the utensils, pots and pans need replacing!

Very nice hostel and facilities, big under bed lockers. Staff were exceptional, asked to be moved into another room in with my friends and it was no problem. HOWEVER the kitchen was shut from around 10/11am to be cleaned (no late breakfast for anyone!) and there was huge confusion about how long the kitchen would be closed for. Never a set answer, it ranged from 1-3 hours. Oh and don't bother with the "laundry" service. It's just the staff washing for you and they don't fold it as advertised.

lacks a decent communal space and kitchen is too small but otherwise a good hostel!

Hostel staff friendly. Stayed in the "Sanctuary" female dorm. It was clean and quite comfortable. The kitchen, however, was chaos. There was only one fridge and the hostel takes large groups. My food was constantly moved. It was hard to get space to cook at all. The gas hob needed to be lit with matches. Also the kitchen was closed for cleaning from 10am to 1pm. Not very convenient.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Great bathroom/shower facilities. Nice kitchen. Ate on deck overlooking mountain views

The kitchen was really dirty and really crowded. It was hard to find a vacancy to cook and sit down to eat. And it was really not convenient to use match to cook! I lived in the female dorm which was near by the kitchen. The noise of the kitchen door shut was really loud. I don't like this place very much, so as my friend. She checked out two days earlier and found another hostel.