Base Wanaka Reviews

Level 1, 73 Brownston Street, Wanaka, Wanaka, New Zealand

Good location a short walk to the lake and shops. Not a lot of atmosphere or communal areas, but served it's purpose well for a ski holiday. Easy to get a park in the public parking just around the corner.

Stayed in base wanaka for one night. Without a doubt the best hostel I have stayed in. Sinead checked me in. She was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the various activities in wanaka. She booked my trips for me without any hassle. Location is perfect. The rooms and kitchen were spotless and had the best nights sleep. If I had the time this is definitely a hostel I would stay in for longer. I will go back. 100%

• 16th Jul 2015

Kitchen is way too small ! too expensive and you get nothing for your money no free breakfast wifi anything everything a $20 deposit

• 26th Jun 2015

Room was very small for 8 people. Kitchen a bit small as well. Good location and decent heaters.

Base Wanaka is more of a standard hostel with no real feel or atmosphere to it. It feels quite generic and was relatively expensive, especially considering the wifi was not free - a real downside!! The kitchen was horrific, messy (clean by morning) and not well stocked. I could literally only find one bowl. However, my dorm was warm and there were bedside lamps. No free breakfast or soup, something many other hostels provide on top of free wifi and more! Overall, it's a warm bed for the night.

Great experience. Staff were super friendly and really helpful with advice on the local area. The dorm was clean and spacious Kitchen is a little on the small side but the balcony with lake and mountain views made up for it!

• 11th Jun 2015

Hello it was very nice , good kitchen with a great balcon and friendly's team

• 5th Jun 2015

Pleasant stay! Nice, clean and affordable accomodation. Love the plug sockets and individual lights next to the beds! $5 all you can eat breakfast was really good. Reception staff friendly and helpfully would stay again.

• 29th May 2015
  • Belgium

Great stay! Dorm rooms were clean, with a welcoming atmosphere. Nice reception area, with friendly helpful staff. Perfect location, with great view of the mountains! Definitely worth a stay :)

• 24th May 2015

The night security were really nice, I checked in late and they assisted me really good. Kitchen were clean and bed was comfy. I will definitely go back to this hostel.

• 22nd May 2015

Quite simply one of the best Xbase hostels we've ever stayed in New Zealand Were in an ensuite double room- as good as hotels we've been in. Everything was super. Highly recommended

• 19th May 2015

Awesome hostel! really friendly staff who are very helpful with local tips and really went out of the way to make sure I had a great stay. Will definitely return :)

The room with private ensuite was perfect and we really enjoyed our room! Wish we would have had a day or two more to enjoy the nice hostel!

• 11th Apr 2015

Lockers or cupboards for your stuff in the tiny rooms would be helpful. Kitchen a dangerous disaster with the gas hobs that do work flaring with huge flames. Kiwi experience buses arrived daily with around 50 people, most to the kitchen and showers making a huge crowded mess. Doors bang shut all night and day. They have to be closed very carefully to make them not bang loudly. I wouldn't stay there again. Good things are close to a supermarket and the kitchen has a freezer.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Hated everything about this hostel. Reception shuts at 10, the kitchen shuts at 10, the common areas all shut at 10 and I arrived at 9:45. There is nowhere to go and nothing you can do. The kitchen is filthy and under equipped and other people kept putting their stuff under my bed, lifting my rucksack on top of me whilst I slept to get at the security cage. Staff were also extremely slow and mostly unhelpful. Worst I experienced in 5 weeks in NZ.

Great stay, nice and clean.

Quite simply one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in. Were in an ensuite double room- as good as many hotels we've been in. Everything was super. Highly recommmended