Bassetto Guesthouse Reviews

Via delle Città, 3, Certaldo, Florence, Italy

This hostel has immense potential. Beautiful location, interesting history, fantastic staff and good atmosphere, however it is significantly far from the train station. Not completely unbearable, but with a heavy backpack the 25 minute walk was difficult. There are nearly no shuttle options--one being 10euros per ride and 'not available' when a few of us wanted to split the cost. It would be better if there were breakfast/food options as the hostel is quite isolated. Otherwise, had a good stay!

• 24th Jun 2015

Lovely old authentic place, we did the pasta making class, ghost tour and rented bikes to ride to San gimignano which were all great.

Despite being put off at first by the long walk to the hostel from the train (we'd naively hoped for a cab), this place was lovely. They do daily trips to San Gimignano (BEST gelato). The wine trip to Casa alla Vache is also well worth it. The pool is cold, but perfect to jump in to after the long hot walk from town. Certaldo old town is lovely. There are no close supermarkets unless you have a car, & most shops are closed Sunday so come prepared for that. Restaurants open after 7pm.

Great atmosphere and very helpful staff. Some facilities are showing their age. No security, really, but between the out-of-the-way location and the friendly people, you aren't too worried about leaving your stuff in your room.Enjoyed both the hostel-organizd events I participated in, and It's a short walk to the nearby medieval fortress town, which you can spend a day exploring.

An old monastery. In the middle of nowhere, easy with a car, not the best location by foot. If u get bitten, stay away as mozzies are everywhere, even though the screens r up, they still get in. Trust me. The worst place for mozzies ive been too. Can be used as a Tuscany base, but there are better places. The staff were great & very helpful

The location was excellent for relaxing in Tuscany

We loved our stay at bassetto. The staff were so friendly and very helpful. There were so many things to do ! Probably not great if you want to visit florence but it is still possible. But it is a fantastic place to meet people, have a game of cards, have a drink and just relax!! Definitely recommend staying here

Such a great atmosphere, met the nicest group of people and couldn't have done it in a nicer place- so much to do, it didn't matter that it was far away, and staff couldn't have been more accomodating/helpful!!! STAY HERE!

This place is incredible. Honestly, everyone I met was so nice and ready to meet new people that being alone hardly even mattered. The guesthouse itself is beautiful and so were the grounds. The ghost tour was very interesting and the pasta making class one of the highlights of my whole time in Italy. Well this guesthouse was actually the highlight. The only problems were that there are tons of mosquitoes so bring bug spray and I wish I could have played with the dogs more (yeah there are dogs!)

Great place what an amazing atmosphere outside the city. Was a perfect place to relax after spending 2 weeks in the crowds. May people took day trips into Florence, Siena or Pisa but I opted to just hang out at the pool, stroll around town and drink some of the local wine.

Absolutely amazing stay! Friendly, polite and genuinely nice staff! Met great people here. The Bassetto is a great stay for people wanting to experience country side Tuscany and also visit Florence, Pisa and Siena. They have amazing activities (we loved the horse back riding and wine tours). Thanks for a memorable stay!

Bassett Guesthouse was everything a hostel should be! The setting is wonderful and seems to have a magical effect on every guest who enters, fostering a close knit atmosphere between everyone. This was one of the best places I have stayed in my last three months in Europe!

The best atmosphere I've found in my experience with hostels so far! The people you meet in a couple days become like family and there's lots of activities (cooking classes, ghost tour, horseback riding) while you're there. I only planned to stay a day and ended up staying much longer, even came back and stayed when I passed through again. There's no lockers or any way to secure your belongings, but I think that only furthers how comfortable "at home" you'll feel at Bassetto.

Having known this place was not in Florence, it was excellent. Cooking class was fun, if a little expensive. Restaurants in town were so good. Common area was fun. Easy to take day trips. Annoying that reception was barely open.

I really enjoyed my stay at Basetto Guesthouse. It was a welcome break from the city. Certaldo is a lovely little town with all the amenities you would need. The guesthouse is a good 20minute walk from the train station. On arrival I signed up for wine tasting and a pasta cooking class which I really enjoyed and would probably not have done otherwise on my trip. When I was there it was clearly a hostel of young twenty-somethings. I met a lot of friendly fellow-travellers.

Bassetto was absolutely amazing. I had such a great time meeting other travellers, cooking with them, travelling with them and hanging out at Bassetto. Pasta class so worth it! Horseback riding is fun for beginners, ghost tour is great! The staff are so friendly and helpful and everyone I was there with wanted to stay longer. Great town, easy for day trips to other places. Possibly the best hostel experience over all I think I will experience, certainly the best so far. Will be back again!

The Bassetto is unlike any other hostel. It is beautifully restored and well maintained by its wonderful staff. Not only is it in the charming village of Certaldo-be sure to check out the castle!-but it has many activities to take you through charming Tuscany-including a tour of a winery complete with wine tasting! They also have free bikes which is extremely thoughtful and shows how much the Bassetto cares about it's guests. Everyone I talked to extended their stay here because it was so great!

Absolutely the best hostel/guesthouse I have ever stayed in. These guys have plenty of activities for any traveler at a reasonable price. It is located in a beautiful town in the Tuscany hills. Do yourself a favor and stay here!

• 9th Jun 2015

It was amazing :) I love everything about this hostel! There is a lot of activities you can do! It was the best hostel ever! ( even if it's quite far from the supermarket!)

This is the best hostel we have stayed in- we had a fantastic room, the staff were super friendly and went out of their way to help you. The hostel puts on lots of activities for a good price and heaps of fun. There's so much to do around the area and it's also just as nice to relax at the property. Wish we could have stayed longer!