Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

All staff were helpful and location in town was brilliant. Quiet and easy to see why it's so popular. Clean and great people. The only place in bath I will stay if I return. For anyone who wants to see Bath in a day or two, it's 2 minutes from anywhere you want to vistit. Excellent

• 16th May 2015

Many thanks for your kind comments. Really glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully may see you in the future.

Particularly impressed by the staff who helped an 82 year old who thought she had had a wallet stolen at breakfast. The staff were quick to reassure and check CCTV. (Wallet subsequently found in her room)

• 16th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments. We're just glad the ladies wallet was safe.

only cold water

Many thanks for your comments. Unsure if you mentioned the cold water to staff. The likelihood is that we had over 200 guests in the building during your stay and a lot of them probably hit the showers at the same time, this would mean it would need a few minutes to heat the water back up. Could also have been that someone had set the shower to cold.

Perfect stay for what we needed. Great location and facilities

• 15th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay.

Sort of like where you go on school camp. Very clean, bed not too uncomfortable. Very close to the centre of beautiful Bath. Staff not overly talkative although they tried to be helpful when we needed to print something. Lots of people but no socialising. Quiet and nice. A good budget place to stay to enjoy the town!

Many thanks for your comments. Noticed you arrived on a Sunday, normally one of the quietest days of the week as most guests book for a Friday and Saturday and leave on Sunday morning.

No kitchen! That is not what we expect from a hostel

Many thanks for your comments. We have a restaurant that opens for breakfast in the morning and for meals when groups book them. We have two microwaves for guests to use and supply plates, bowls and cutlery which we wash ourselves in the morning. We also have a hot drinks machine that does various coffees and hot chocolate for £1.50 and leave tea bags out for guests along with milk and sugar, the hot drink machine will also dispense boiled water for free and we also have a cold drink machine.

The staff were so friendly and helpful. Absolutely delightful people. The rooms were spacious and the beds all had privacy curtains, which is nice. The bathrooms were clean. The lockers were huge, but you need your own padlock. Our room was bordering a really noisy street, so we were woken up a lot on Saturday night by drunk people fighting and yelling in the street below the hostel. The Internet worked well in the room.

Thank you for your review, we are pleased top hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately the noisy drunk people in the street is something we cannot control, one of the disadvantages of being in the city centre. If you stay again why not try the quieter smaller rooms on the other side of the hostel. Bath YMCA

I have missed a full kitchen.

Breakfast until later on weekend - 10 is pretty early!

Many thanks for your comments. From my experience of travelling, 10am is quite a late time for breakfast to finish. Lots of places also check in a lot later than our 12 noon check in. We also have guests from the other side of this who would rather breakfast started earlier. In our experience, most guests are out seeing the sites by 10am.

I was awoken at about 4am by two drunk guys messing about. Later on I realised they were performing "gross acts of indecency" to one another. One of the two sat on another guest, waking him up. This guest was frustrated and left the room, leaving me and another girl alone with the 2 drunkards. I felt unsafe and left the room as well to complain to the duty manager, who after checking the records found that 1 of the 2 was not a guest. The police had to be called in. My trip was ruined.

Many thanks for your comments and we are extremely sorry that you had to witness such disgusting behavior. I have been at the YMCA for around 15yrs and this is the first time (and hopefully the last time) anything like this has occurred. Being a 206 bed hostel with 6 dormitories, ranging from a 10 bed to an 18 bed, it is nigh on impossible to stop someone sneaking someone through the dormitory door. This case is going to court and our Duty Manager will be going as a witness to the incident.

I really appreciated the help by the friendly desk manager when I arrived. I was in a hurry to get a conference and was running late. He looked up the location on the internet and gave me a local map and directed me to where I need to go. Great job mates as they would say there. I would stay again when I travel to Bath. Super job....!!! Chuck Cimijotti

• 7th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments. We always try our best to help our guests with anything they need.

I had to leave the windows open all the time in my room. It had a very specific smell which wasn't so pleasant and gave me a bit of headache (probably a paint smell). Also guests should be informed about the night time hours . A guest staying in the room above me was moving furniture in the middle of the night which woke me up. Apart of that I had a really nice stay and I would definitely stay in Bath YMCA again.

• 7th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

Many thanks for your comments and sorry you encountered some issues during your stay. We would encourage guests to inform our 24hr reception desk of any issues as soon as they occur, we might then be able to resolve them.

WiFi signal dropped off just inside of our room. When door was opened, the signal was weak but usable. The closer to the main hall, the stronger the signal. Breakfast was good and filling. Coffee was only free during breakfast, though hot water was free all the time. Double bed was comfortable and clean sheets. Towels and hairdryer available for hire upon request.

Many thanks for your comments. The signal is weaker in some parts of the building than others. I believe you stayed in a room that was right at the end of the building seperate from our other rooms, this probably explains the weak signal.

Better services and price to .

• 3rd May 2015
  • Romania

Many thanks for your comments. Unsure, but think by your comments that you think the price of the room was expensive. You actually had a twin room for £6 less than our normal price, due to us cutting our rates for that particular night. At £25 per person with a light breakfast included, it is very cheap for Bath. As for services, we are unsure what you are referring to. We have a 24hr reception and staff are always here willing to help when necessary.

shower rooms are too small, but friendly staff.

• 1st May 2015
  • Singapore

Many thanks for your comments. Space can be a bit of an issue, but not really to much that we can do about that without losing a shower which would make things worse.

Not the perfect place to stay (a bit too old) but it was cheap, clean and I could sleep easily.

Many thanks for our comments. As each year goes by, more and more is being done to make things better for our guests. A few years ago all our private rooms were fully refurbished, then the dorms were fully refurbished. Reception is being done as I write this and we now have wifi throughout the building. Everything boils down to cost and time and is a case of prioritisation.

Great location to explore Bath. I booked a single room and felt safe and secure. There were some homeless sleeping in the building's courtyard, but they seemed courteous and did not bother me. Sheets on the bed were clean, though carpeting was old and stained. Toilet facilities were clean, did not experience the shower. Overall perfect for a 1 night visit to Bath!

• 26th Apr 2015

Many thanks for your comments. The homeless weren't sleeping in the YMCA courtyard, they were sleep in an area passed the steps to the YMCA courtyard. It's basically a walkway to get from Walcot Street to Broadstreet and vice versa. Unfortunately the area is nothing to do with the YMCA.

Great location. Generous breakfast. All day tea/coffee service was very nice. Even had a book exchange corner. Enjoyed that quite a bit. The facilities are a little old but overall would recommend.

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. We are working on the facilities. Wifi is now throughout the building and the reception area is having a makeover with new seats and carpets. We have big plans for many areas of the YMCA, but it all takes time and money and is a case of prioritising what's needed most.

Overall a good stay. By far the cheapest place to stay in Bath and central location. However the self closes on the doors did not work very well, which makes for a noisy night when people are moving about. Also I did not feel the lock on my window was very secure.

• 14th Apr 2015

Many thanks for your comments, the doors are meant to close on there own, although settings can move now and again, some guests however tend to push them together. As for the windows, even the windows on the 1st floor are 3 floors above street level on Walcot Street and the majority of the others are inaccessible from the front of the YMCA, for the rest you would need to have a ladder extended right outside the front doors of the YMCA which has a 24/7 reception as well as cctv

A very pleasant stay - thank you. Our only problem was that people staying on the same floor came in very late at night and made a lot of noise which kept us awake for some time. Perhaps the reception desk could remind late arrivals to be as quiet as possible?

• 11th Apr 2015