Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

A group of 6 of us stayed here for a Saturday night in Bath. The hostel rooms are spotlessly clean, and the beds were comfortable and sheets very clean. The toilet and shower facilities are also very clean. There was a sink our bedroom which was great. This is not a party hostel, but the location is really central and for one/ two nights it's a very affordable clean, quiet option.

• 7th Dec 2013

Very pleasant and attentive staff, great location, clean facilities. Would stay here again.

• 28th Nov 2013

Me and my daughter stay here once a year when we come to visit the christmas markets and it's great! right in the center of town and really reasonable prices!

• 23rd Nov 2013

Loved the hostel and fitness facilities!!

• 21st Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

It is a bit cold in the shower-toilet room at floor 1

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Spain

All the stuff were very nice and the breakfast was the best "free", continental breakfast I've ever had.

• 14th Nov 2013

The photos on the website make the hostel appear much nicer and cleaner than it actually is. It does not appear to have been refurbished in quite some time. The beds were visibly dirty. I paid more to stay here than other hostels because the picture made it look very nice, and it said that breakfast was included. I was very disappointed! The breakfast was not worth it. Also, lockers require 10 pound cash deposit, which was not specified on the website, so I was unable to use them. Not good!

• 9th Nov 2013

Many thanks for your comments. All our dorms on the 1st floor have been fully refurbished, as shown on the website, with new beds, individual lights, sockets and curtains we intend doing the 2nd floor dorms hopefully in 2014. As for our lockers, they work with a padlock of a reasonable size. If guests don't have a padlock then we take a REFUNDABLE £10 deposit for our padlocks.

Very nice place to discover Bath when you're on a budget. Good price-quality balance. Stayed at twin room. Everything was clean and even the included breakfast was ok. (Top up for hot breakfast possible).

• 9th Nov 2013
  • Belgium

The staffs are very helpful and friendly.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Thailand

The staff who helped me to check in is absolutely friendly and kind. There have only one thing I'm confused is as he mentioned me breakfast time would be till AM10:00, but when I arrive around 9:40 is almost finished, tidy, and cleaned everything.

Many thanks for your comments.The light breakfast runs until 10am, but the cooked breakfast finishes at 9:45am. Reception staff were unfortunately not aware of this until after your stay, so our apologies.

Good central location but a little tricky to find. They let me check-in early which was nice. Reception staff friendly. 1x powerpoint in 8 person dorm room. Bunks & bedding old. Free wifi on ground floor only using self-serve ticket valid 1 hour, then you had to take another ticket, re-enter the code. Continental breakfast included but you pay extra for hot English breakfast. No self-catering kitchen except 2 microwaves. Hostel needs updating. Room door codes tedious. Expensive for what you get.

Many thanks for your comments. We have fully refurbished all 1st floor dorms with new beds, lamps, plug points and curtains, we are hoping to do the 2nd floor dorms sometime in 2014. We have now changed our internet to produce tickets that last for a day.

Security is non existent! No ID check on arrival. Request you leave your room key at reception when you leave building to aid in "fire safety", no ID required when retrieving key. Watched a guy walk up to desk, say a room number, guy gave him key. No name, no ID. Same thing when I asked for my key, and I was in a private room! No ID required when I came to retrieve my luggage from storage. Could have taken anyone's. Everything else was average. 10/10 would not stay again because of security.

Many thanks for your comments. We don't require ID for guests that stay as not everyone carries ID around with them. I am alarmed however that a check wasn't made when you asked for your room key. There will be times when guests notice that we don't ask a name when issueing keys, this is because we get to know a certain amount of guests who stay here, but if a guest is new to a particular duty manager, then they should be asked their name. I will reiterate this to reception staff.

There was no kitchen with which to cook in- only a microwave which means eating out a lot. This also means there isn't really a place to store food. For a day or so this is ok. For any longer not so much. On the plus side the beds were comfy. On the bad no lights by the bed in my dorm.

Many thanks for your comments. We do have a fridge in the back office if guests want to store a small amount of food. We have fully refurbished all dorms on the 1st floor, with new beds, individual lights, plug sockets and curtains. We are hoping to get the 2nd floor dorms done sometime in 2014.

Great place to stay in central Bath.

• 27th Oct 2013

An ok hostel. The Good: staff are friendly, it's relatively quiet, it's not overpriced, the location is pretty decent, nothing wrong with the beds. The Bad: Wifi only works in the lounge and kitchen and neither are great places for computerising (unless your in the right bed to pick up some cloud service). Lockers in the room aren't lockable. shower cubicles are clean but average in functionality.

Many thanks for your comments. The lockers in the dorms are locked using a padlock of a reasonable size. If guests don't have one then we take a REFUNDABLE deposit of £10 for our padlocks at reception.

The included breakfast is quite good and quite filling if you have some of everything. The beds are very comfortable, each has curtains all the way round, though the pillows are so flat as to be nonexistent. In the dorms, the beds are in stacks of three. Could be tough in higher season. Almost no-one there in low season. The lounge isn't very comfortable, and the TV is a distraction that doesn't aid community, but it is an older crowd that stays here. Lastly, showers are good, though tiny.

Good central location & good value for money However it is pretty noisy due to doors banging and water running in the pipes.

• 25th Oct 2013

Perfect location. Lovely staff. Very cheap. I will definitely return!

• 25th Oct 2013

Fantastic location in the centre of Bath. This hostel provides a welcoming, clean, overnight stay. The breakfast was good and I will certainly recommend this hostel to anyone. I will be staying again soon.

• 25th Oct 2013

This was a great place to say. Large private room, comfy beds, clean showers, friendly staff, great location, very easy to find. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.