Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

The hostel was a little hard to find at first, but once there it was very well situated in the center of the city. We found the place was clean, but our room had a smell to it that we tried to ease by having the window open all of the time, which gave us some noice problems from people spending time outside in the courtyard during the night. It might only have been our room with that problem. The staff was very nice, all of them, and particular the one that greeted us at our arrival.

• 2nd Nov 2015
  • Denmark

Many thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the council won't allow us to put a sign sticking out to say where we are. Sorry about the smell and wish you had said something as it may have been possible to move you. I suspect the room just needed airing a little longer but will check the room out just in case.

Really great hostel! Staff are always friendly, rooms are clean and the complimentary breakfast is fantastic. Free WiFi is also included which is excellent. Always a plesure, would highly recommend.

• 2nd Nov 2015

Many thanks for your comments and look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.

Good value for the price although the room smelled kind of sickly-sweet? We opened the window when we could to try and help, but didn't want to leave it open when were out as there was a grass terrace outside out window which we worried someone might have access to. Would stay again although would request a room on a higher floor next time.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Scotland

Many thanks for your comments. I checked booking and were in room 102, this is at the rear of the building and there is no access at rear of the building only from Walcot Street at the side of the building and even our 1st floor rooms are four floors above street level. We would ask guests to inform reception immediately if there is any problem with rooms, we will then do our best to sort it or change guests rooms. Some rooms just take longer to air than others.

Great view of the city from my room window. Excellent location in walking distance to all I wanted to see. Staff were very helpful and welcoming.

• 29th Oct 2015

I enjoyed the privacy curtains on the beds, the bedside lamps, and charging stations.

• 28th Oct 2015

The bathroom there was terribly dirty and flooded. I lived in a 12 men room, in which the beds are like cages for medium height people. I hurt my head several times when I tried to sit up. Ventilation system is poor in the room. Breakfast is comparatively good, but the open time is not that early, begining at around 8:20, and the canteen was crowded with people.

Many thanks for your comments. We don't tend to get many complaints about the beds, but I guess some people could find them a bit claustophobic, so a top bunk would be ideal form them if available. Our breakfast runs for 8am to 10am which we have found suits the vast majority of people at weekends. With over 200 guests of a weekend, the dining are will get crowded, especially if everyone decides to come down at the same time.

Everything was great. The only thing I'd say that needs improving if possible is the gearing system. It was very noisy and woke us up in the middle of the night with its banging.

• 16th Oct 2015

Many thanks for your comments, unsure what you mean by the gearing system.

The male shower on 3rd floor only had cold water. The one on the left. Then couldn't turn it off. Used another which had an intermittent flow. Pretty rubbishy really. However they were spotlessly clean as was the room. Wardrobe in room 312/3 door knob fell off. Again, very clean. Man on reception very good and informative. No spoons in canteen in morning and no dishes.

• 10th Oct 2015

Many thanks for your comments. On most Saturdays we have over 200 people in the building, so if the showers are in constant use for a period of time then in will affect their performance. Hopefully door know on wardrobe has been sorted, it has been mentioned to maintenance. We have breakfast running of a weekend from 8am to 10am and cutlery is down the front of the restaurant when it is running. When closed we put cutlery on microwaves, if none is there then reception will get more if asked.

good clean, cheap option for accommodation in central Bath. Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep as the girl in the bed above me switched the light on several times overnight and kept singing Duran Duran songs...girls on film is forever imprinted in my mind!

Many thanks for your comments and so sorry about the behaviour of one of our guests. We ended up with a few complaints about a certain guest and informed her she is no longer welcome here, just be thankful she wasn't into Barry Manilow.

Very nice, clean, great location.

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay.

Huge gym !

• 9th Oct 2015
  • South Africa

Many thanks, glad you enjoyed your stay and liked the Gym

Way overpriced. Mission to get up your room

Although the accommodation in Bath was a bed to stay in, for the price of a bed in an 18 person dorm and the quality of the bathrooms were very poor. The bathrooms were flooding, and very dirty with bins overflowing. The bathrooms were also the same for men and women. Showers were a small dribble of water. We had a poor sleep with screaming people outside and inability to shut the windows.

• 3rd Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Many thanks for your comments and sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Our showers/toilets are cleaned daily, but we don't have 24hr cleaning staff, therefore any mess in the showers would be caused by guests after the cleaners have gone, not a lot we can do about that. Bath can get quite noisy of a weekend, but we do supply earplugs for free. There are mixed showers and toilets on the first floor, but generally these are used by males as females have their own on 2nd floor.

Frindly hostel in the center of the old city.

Many thanks for your comments.

Single plug in room was rather difficult for charging multiple phones. 1 shower had no hot water, the other had very little water at all...

Many thanks for your comments. We do have a few multiple plug sockets at reception than we take a refundable deposit on. As for the showers, we have accommodation for over 200 people, so if loads of people are showering at the same time for any length of time, then this will affect the water pressure.

Friendly front desk staff. Great location in town center, can walk to many sights. Bathrooms and showers clean. Rugs and stairwells grungy. Triple bunk beds in room I was in, which was fine for me. Prettybasic breakfast included in room price, need to pay extra for hot food, and apparently hot drinks. Was fine for 1 night, probably would not stay for longer, mostly bc of the grunge you have to walk past/on to get to/from the rooms.

Many thanks for your comments. The light breakfast included does include hot and cold drinks, there is only a charge for hot drinks when breakfast has finished. Unsure what you mean about grungy carpets, but we do have six dorms that take around 80 people, so it wouldn't be surprising if the carpets got messy during the times the cleaners aren't here.

Only a European style plug in my room which was rather disappointing. No option for a late checkout which would be appreciated as i had a long journey ahead of me, although there was an incredible amount of noise during the day due to the paper thin walls so i doubt that extra time would've helped. The bed was barely 'ok' as was a foam mattress on flat solid surface i guess to ensure they don't have to replace them however sacrificing comfort. Get what you pay for, affordable but try for hotel.

• 3rd Oct 2015
  • Wales

Many thanks for your comments. All our private rooms have a 3 pin socket, plus a two pin one for shavers, unfortunately some of our 3 pin sockets are hid by the curtains. Most people seem fine with the mattresses, but we do realize we'll never satisfy everyone. Hotels may well be the way to go for some people, but they are extremely expensive in Bath.

Internet left a lot to be desired.very important to have a good Internet when you want to check on future accommodations or attractions in the area or whatever information you may require and I believe that I also had a fairly substantial amount charged to my credit card that I was not expecting for the Internet which was not that great nor was I told that would be the case.not impressed

• 30th Sep 2015

Was one of the nicer hostels I've been to. Clean and in shape, more like a school dorm in appearance.

• 29th Sep 2015

Cheapest Accomodation in Bath. If the pipes didn't shake the building at 5am every morning and wake you up I'd happily stay again.

• 29th Sep 2015