Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

Noisy at night. Lots of people laughing loudly in the hallways and running around. View was lovely.

• 7th Oct 2014

Can't complain. The location couldn't be better. The beds were triple beds so you can't sit in them. But that's not necessary. Breakfast was included in the price. All in all a great stay. I would come back.

I had room 220. There is serious black mold around the window and the frame is rotting. There is a horrible smell when you use the sink (probably bad pipes), and the ladies toilet on that floor had spiders all over the ceiling.

The room was clean and comfortable aside from chair which needed a good cleaning and room had a smell. Toilet and showers were clean aside from no toilet paper in one cubicle in the morning in the ladies' loos. The windows and sills everywhere have been forgotten in the refurbishments and need a thorough cleaning! Cleaning team need to be a bit more attentive. Staff at reception were exceptionally friendly and helpful! Great location but bring earplugs to drown out all night revellers in Bath.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Nice hostel and a good place to sleep - although there is very little "life" to it. On the reverse you are virtually guaranteed a good night of sleep with great, quiet, bunk beds and super comfy mattresses. If you want more of a party feel then stay at St Christopher's just down the road - if you want early nights and rest (and a great breakfast in the morning!) stay here.

15 bed dorm, on second floor. Curtains on beds really nice to mentally block out most others, but might be hard if there is a noisy group. Only six lockers in room, other lockers in hall. Must provide own lock. Full English breakfast for 3.50 GBP was pretty decently priced. Did not need a key to enter area where dorms are unfortunately. Felt that was a bit insecure. Staff pretty friendly. Common areas felt kind of like school cafeteria, even lounge. Small bathroom for 15 females; got very busy!

Loved the free breakfast and the stay was well worth the money. Friendly staff but the bathroom can be cleaned more often.

The only issues that I had with the hostel was that there was only wifi in the lounge and cafeteria, and not this the dorms. This made it difficult to watch movies before bed. Also there was no refrigerator to store food and no kitchen to prepare meals. There was only a microwave. The hostel was right near the clubs and city center.

Used the YMCA as a crash pad when I stayed overnight in Bath. Couldn't complain about anything. Clean, comfortable, close to the city center where I'd been wandering around for hours and wasn't hard to find. It was my first time staying in a hostel by myself, and I never once felt concerned about safety or cleanliness or anything. I didn't really stick around to give accurate thoughts on much other than the bed and room, but I got what I was expecting.

• 1st Oct 2014

The staff members at the front desk were wonderful and very helpful! The street noise was very loud throughout the night so if you are a lite sleeper ask for a room away from the street. It wasn't the best hostel for meeting other travelers.

• 30th Sep 2014

My wife and I would visit again. A wonderful site and fine staff.

First class receptionists - always very helpful and friendly. Would definitely make a point of staying there again when in Bath. One of the best hostels I have ever stayed at!

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay

Our room was fully booked, so they upgraded us to a private for free which was very nice of them. Staff are friendly, hot showers and a cheap, decent fry up.

The common corridor were smelly. I suggest they open up the staircase window more often to let fresh air in and also is time to change the carpets

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

single room. exactly what I thought it would be. if possible ask for a room not by the bathroom as the doors slam/walls are very thin. .the whole hostel needs to be refurbished and if you leave the building you have to return your key to the front desk which, on return, can be annoying as you have to wait to get it back if they are checking people in. still ,a stay worth the price.

You get what you pay for. The single rooms are nice and relatively clean but the hostel is very noisy overall. Close to a gym where loud music is played even in the evenings. Wifi connection very poor on the 2nd floor, not working at all in the evening.

Many thanks for your comments. The Health Suite closes at 10pm Monday - Friday and 7pm on Saturday and Sunday. As for wifi, it was only available until recently on the ground floor and a couple of rooms on the 1st floor, our new system means it is now accessible in more areas, with, if not all, at least the majority of the rooms on the 1st floor getting it and also some of the rooms on the 2nd floor. We have never stated that wifi was available throughout the building.

The quilt covers are not changed with each customer although there is a top sheet. My bed and quilt smelled very sweaty and when I asked for a clean cover they couldn't find one, I had to ask again in the evening. The carpet was stained. I don't think £60 for a twin room very good value. Staff very friendly and helpful though.

• 20th Sep 2014

Many thanks for your comments. Changing over 200 duvettes each day is never going to be an option. If guests were to use top and bottoms sheets as they should then it wouldn't be necessary, but we do wash and change them all a few times a year and when they are reported to us. Unlike some places, our price includes a breakfast and we also don't purposely overbook, which results in sending guests to a place that could be miles away.

It's a very large hostel. Beds were exceptionally comfy. There were a lot of teenage school trip people around who were very noisy. Breakfast was ok. Free! Toilet was not as maintained as i would have liked. Wi-fi didnt work. Overall private room was large and comfortable. Good price and fantastic location for a couple nights in Bath.

the room we were allocated smelt as though somebody had urinated in it. the smell was so bad that we terminated our break early. the staff were aware there was a problem with the room but still it was allocated to paying guests this i find wholly unacceptable. the ratio of toilet and shower facilities per head was very low only 3 toilets per floor. i certainly would not recommend this hostel or re visit it it spoilt my first visit to Bath. very disappointed

• 19th Sep 2014

Many thanks for your comments. We are aware of the problems in the room allocated, they stem from the carpet of which we are now replacing. Unfortunately the guests needed a room on the ground floor, we were unaware of this before arrival, and this is the only room there. We couldn't change rooms the 1st night as were full, but did offer a room on the 2nd night which was declined because of stairs. There are 3 male and 3 female showers and toilets each floor. The guests were given a full refund.

Wonderful experience in all aspects. Very friendly and helpful staff (including directions and recommendations around town), free breakfast and coffee/juice in the morning, comfy and private beds with secure doors, and pretty clean bathrooms (considering the situation). Also, very centralized in town, which was convenient for walking. The only negative aspect was the drunk people who were loud outside the window both nights, but there was nothing the hostel could do about that.

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately keeping drunks quiet is not the easiest job in the world, but we do have words with them, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.