Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

We had a double room, it was perfect for what we needed. The hostel is located perfect for trips to Bath, easy to get to and from. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great, with added cooked items for a small price. Will definitely stay here next time we visit Bath.

• 31st Jul 2015

Good value for money especially if you are only staying for a night or two. Room was a little smelly but everything was neat and tidy and the bathrooms were clean. The location is fantastic

• 31st Jul 2015

My welcome was friendly and helpful and i like the curtains around the beds.

I loved that each bunk had curtains, a light, a plug, and a shelf. I wish all hostels had such facilities! I stayed in a 15 bed female dorm but the room was extremely spacious and comfortable. I also met some wonderful people who I'll be staying in touch with. However, I found the bathroom facilities small, & a couple of times I came across men in our bathroom even though it was supposed to be female only. Extra security could fix this - perhaps an all female floor to prevent it from happening.

• 29th Jul 2015

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. The males who entered the female showers were Polish workers with little knowledge of English and we had strong words with them and their employer. Showers are a bit small, but would need to cut down on number of showers to make them bigger and not really enough showers now. An all female floor would be nice, but we would never sell 37 beds to females only

Building old and run down, dorms cramped. Only positive is curtains around each bed. and individual recharging points. Bring your own lock and lock valuables away. Shared showers for dorms are too small. Felt unsafe in the dorm due to people with nowhere else to go living there temporarily, one tried to steal my phone. Staff helpful and moved me to my own room after this incident. breakfast is included but is very basic. I can't recommend this hostel to anyone and wouldn't stay there again.

Many thanks for your comments. We do have padlocks at reception that are available for a refundable deposit. Spoke to the other lady concerned about the phone issue, her version is that it fell from the bed above her and got mixed up with her clothes. We would however advice guests in dorms to lock up valuable items. Most people seem fine with our dorms and our breakfast. The dorm beds themselves are about as modern as you can get with plug sockets, usb ports, lamps and curtains.

Good breakfast and had everything I needed. Nice on the curtains round beds and each a lamp and plug-in.

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay

Stayed Saturday night - there was loud music blaring outside until 4am which you could hear even with the window closed. I didn't feel like my belongings were safe when I left my room, as you have to leave your key at reception everytime you leave the building. These are just kept on shelves behind the front desk, clearly labelled with the corresponding room number, and the staff don't check ID or even ask for your name to get your key back! Otherwise room was fine and free breakfast was great!

Many thanks for your comments. You don't mention whether music was from YMCA premises or elsewhere, so difficult to comment on that. As for the keys, staff are supposed to check booking names against keys, that being said, I have been here over 15yrs and there has never been a theft from a private room. There is too much cctv about for anyone to take a chance on going behind the desk, getting a key and getting in someones room, also they don't know if the room is occupied or not.

Pros: My middle bed on a triple bunk was comfortable, the ladder to that bed was easy to climb, I used a great washer and dryer at a reasonable cost, the Internet connections were super fast, the free breakfast was delicious, and the dorm beds had privacy curtains. Cons: The ladder to the top bunk was painful to step on, several toilets were leaking but at least got fixed quickly, and the first floor bathroom was disgusting around check-out time. A few problems but still good overall.

Many thanks for your comments. The showers and toilets are cleaned daily between 10am and 12 noon, so any mess in the morning is created by guests outside of these hours.

I loved staying at the Bath YMCA Hostel. Everything about the Hostel was great... BUT... my ONLY complaint is about something that has nothing to do with the Hostel: SEAGULLS. The Seagulls in Bath are REALLY as bad as people say. It really caught me by surprise. I was awakened up several times in the middle of the night and at the crack of dawn each night / day. Just "be prepared" for this, use earplugs if necessary, but enjoy the stay in Bath. The town is AMAZING.

The staff was helpful and the location is convenient. Not a great looking building from the inside and a bit cramped in some spots, but overall, a great deal. If not for the YMCA, I couldn't have afforded to visit Bath.

• 24th Jul 2015

Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. The price for a twin room with a shared bathroom seemed a little expensive. It was nice that there was breakfast included and laundry on site.

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Many thanks for your comments. Our prices are very competitive with what is charged in Bath which is quite an expensive city.

Even though it was the peak of summer travel season, I and my friend had a really nice trip with reasonable price. The desk staff was very kind and generous for the travellers. I was my first time to use youth hostel, but I had a really good choice. The shower and toilet was very clean, but the drains was stuck and rubbish bin was too small. It was not a big trouble but I wish if there's a big rubbish bin in the shower room in 4F it must be much better. Thank you so much for the nice staying!

• South Korea

Good basic hostel

• 22nd Jul 2015

Besides a fact that on 3 floor there was no wifi (but there was a very good signal on the ground floor, so you could come and search in the internet everything you want) everything was just perfect! Many thanks to staff!

• Latvia

Many thanks for your comments. We have had a few issues with the internet but are trying to resolve them. At present you can get wifi all over the building, but the strongest signal is in reception.

Great location, easy walk to downtown and restaurants, decent breakfast of toast, cereal, fruit and yogurt. I was in a15 bed room so it was a little crowded but still there were comfy beds which had curtains, good for privacy and sleeping in.all in all a good experience!

Great hostel experience. Loved the location and the breakfast. first level toilet facilities weren't very good and shower doors would be preferable instead of shower curtains.

Although under camera, still difficult to precious bikes outside . Coffee not good at all. staff helpful and comfortable beds

I like that there is a plug beside all the beds, it's really convenient to travelers, the staff in YMCA are nice. A good hostel to go!

• 20th Jul 2015
  • China

My family had a wonderful two nights at the YMCA.the rooms and interior decor were very warm and beautifully done.it was very good value for money and the convenience of location to all the sights in Bath was wonderful!

• 19th Jul 2015
  • Sri Lanka

Excellent location. Slightly concerned about the odd looking rough sleeping characters that appeared to have set up camp nearby who we heard shouting comments to lone females walking past in front of us. Bedding spotless, but the communal toilets had run out of toilet paper. Towels not provided so bring your own No plugs in rooms so the corridor was filled with people plugging their hairdryers into those in the corridor. Computers and wi fi available but neither were working.

• 18th Jul 2015