Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

It is a great location in the center of Bath. Very close to everything. Best way to get there is to find Hilton Hotel, and ask for direction. (actually right across the street from it) Rooms are clean, bathrooms are clean too. Great time staying there, thanks.

I really liked this hostel, it has an excellent location, friendly staff, good wifi signal, and it was clean and organized. Beds were not very comfortable is my only complaint but it is a hostel. Would stay again.

Many thanks for your comments. Being a seasoned traveller myself, I find beds to be an issue in most places I stay, they're never the same as at home, usually harder, but most guests appear to be fine with them as we don't usually get to many complaints about them.

I am glad we only stayed one night as the room we were in (125) was very stuffy.There was no ventilation so overnight it became quite bad, which made me glad that I was sharing the room with my family rather than strangers. Also, I didn't find the staff very helpful when we asked about parking nearby. It was the cheapest accommodation I could find in Bath, though, so just don't have too high expectations.

Many thanks for your comments. So sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The rooms can get stuffy in the hot whether, but opening a window normally helps. Unsure who you spoke to about parking, normally our staff are pretty good at where to send guests.

All staff were helpful and location in town was brilliant. Quiet and easy to see why it's so popular. Clean and great people. The only place in bath I will stay if I return. For anyone who wants to see Bath in a day or two, it's 2 minutes from anywhere you want to vistit. Excellent

• 16th May 2015

Many thanks for your kind comments. Really glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully may see you in the future.

Particularly impressed by the staff who helped an 82 year old who thought she had had a wallet stolen at breakfast. The staff were quick to reassure and check CCTV. (Wallet subsequently found in her room)

• 16th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments. We're just glad the ladies wallet was safe.

only cold water

Many thanks for your comments. Unsure if you mentioned the cold water to staff. The likelihood is that we had over 200 guests in the building during your stay and a lot of them probably hit the showers at the same time, this would mean it would need a few minutes to heat the water back up. Could also have been that someone had set the shower to cold.

The staff were helpful but unenthusiastic and not very approachable. The bunk beds were cramped as its three high, so the middle and lower bunks have no head room. The rooms were very hot at night with no air flow so it was very stuffy. Despite these down sides, the hostel was clean and quiet (outside noise on weekends), and the breakfast was fabulous. Laundry facilities were affordable and the washrooms were clean and good showers!

Perfect stay for what we needed. Great location and facilities

• 15th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay.

I can't really comment on the atmosphere, as the hostel seemed extremely quiet when I was there. The breakfast was fantastic, and the hostel is within walking distance of most sights. Occasionally there would be a bit of noise coming off the streets at night, but unless you are an exceptionally light sleeper it isn't too much of an issue. Everything was extremely clean and I will probably find myself here again.

Sort of like where you go on school camp. Very clean, bed not too uncomfortable. Very close to the centre of beautiful Bath. Staff not overly talkative although they tried to be helpful when we needed to print something. Lots of people but no socialising. Quiet and nice. A good budget place to stay to enjoy the town!

Many thanks for your comments. Noticed you arrived on a Sunday, normally one of the quietest days of the week as most guests book for a Friday and Saturday and leave on Sunday morning.

No kitchen! That is not what we expect from a hostel

Many thanks for your comments. We have a restaurant that opens for breakfast in the morning and for meals when groups book them. We have two microwaves for guests to use and supply plates, bowls and cutlery which we wash ourselves in the morning. We also have a hot drinks machine that does various coffees and hot chocolate for £1.50 and leave tea bags out for guests along with milk and sugar, the hot drink machine will also dispense boiled water for free and we also have a cold drink machine.

The staff were so friendly and helpful. Absolutely delightful people. The rooms were spacious and the beds all had privacy curtains, which is nice. The bathrooms were clean. The lockers were huge, but you need your own padlock. Our room was bordering a really noisy street, so we were woken up a lot on Saturday night by drunk people fighting and yelling in the street below the hostel. The Internet worked well in the room.

Thank you for your review, we are pleased top hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately the noisy drunk people in the street is something we cannot control, one of the disadvantages of being in the city centre. If you stay again why not try the quieter smaller rooms on the other side of the hostel. Bath YMCA

I have missed a full kitchen.

Breakfast until later on weekend - 10 is pretty early!

Many thanks for your comments. From my experience of travelling, 10am is quite a late time for breakfast to finish. Lots of places also check in a lot later than our 12 noon check in. We also have guests from the other side of this who would rather breakfast started earlier. In our experience, most guests are out seeing the sites by 10am.

I was awoken at about 4am by two drunk guys messing about. Later on I realised they were performing "gross acts of indecency" to one another. One of the two sat on another guest, waking him up. This guest was frustrated and left the room, leaving me and another girl alone with the 2 drunkards. I felt unsafe and left the room as well to complain to the duty manager, who after checking the records found that 1 of the 2 was not a guest. The police had to be called in. My trip was ruined.

Many thanks for your comments and we are extremely sorry that you had to witness such disgusting behavior. I have been at the YMCA for around 15yrs and this is the first time (and hopefully the last time) anything like this has occurred. Being a 206 bed hostel with 6 dormitories, ranging from a 10 bed to an 18 bed, it is nigh on impossible to stop someone sneaking someone through the dormitory door. This case is going to court and our Duty Manager will be going as a witness to the incident.

I really appreciated the help by the friendly desk manager when I arrived. I was in a hurry to get a conference and was running late. He looked up the location on the internet and gave me a local map and directed me to where I need to go. Great job mates as they would say there. I would stay again when I travel to Bath. Super job....!!! Chuck Cimijotti

• 7th May 2015

Many thanks for your comments. We always try our best to help our guests with anything they need.

I had to leave the windows open all the time in my room. It had a very specific smell which wasn't so pleasant and gave me a bit of headache (probably a paint smell). Also guests should be informed about the night time hours . A guest staying in the room above me was moving furniture in the middle of the night which woke me up. Apart of that I had a really nice stay and I would definitely stay in Bath YMCA again.

• 7th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

Many thanks for your comments and sorry you encountered some issues during your stay. We would encourage guests to inform our 24hr reception desk of any issues as soon as they occur, we might then be able to resolve them.

WiFi signal dropped off just inside of our room. When door was opened, the signal was weak but usable. The closer to the main hall, the stronger the signal. Breakfast was good and filling. Coffee was only free during breakfast, though hot water was free all the time. Double bed was comfortable and clean sheets. Towels and hairdryer available for hire upon request.

Many thanks for your comments. The signal is weaker in some parts of the building than others. I believe you stayed in a room that was right at the end of the building seperate from our other rooms, this probably explains the weak signal.

Better services and price to .

• 3rd May 2015
  • Romania

Many thanks for your comments. Unsure, but think by your comments that you think the price of the room was expensive. You actually had a twin room for £6 less than our normal price, due to us cutting our rates for that particular night. At £25 per person with a light breakfast included, it is very cheap for Bath. As for services, we are unsure what you are referring to. We have a 24hr reception and staff are always here willing to help when necessary.

shower rooms are too small, but friendly staff.

Many thanks for your comments. Space can be a bit of an issue, but not really to much that we can do about that without losing a shower which would make things worse.