Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

I got a private room with 2 beds for the same price I spent for one bed in a mixed 10 bed room in London. I felt safe here, location is excellent, wifi in lobby area, light breakfast... overall excellent value for price I paid and I would definitely stay here again.

Great location and offers cheep accomodation in a city swarmed by expensive hotels. However, the atmosphere was not that of a young traveller; rather a quite, subdued retreat. This of course has its benefits although we were looking for/expecting a little more liveliness.

Great location, good facilities.

• 15th Aug 2014

My daughters had stayed at this hostel previously and recommended it to me based on its wonderful staff and cleanliness. They were 100% correct!! We were greeted by friendly faces that were helpful and polite. We stayed in a twin room that was clean and spacious. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who visits Bath. The location was fabulous which made it easy to walk about the city. An added bonus is their 1 pound fee to hold you bags for the day which made our last day in Bath easier!

• All Female Group, 41+

Hostel is in a great location! Easy walking distance to everything. The staff member on reception recommended a few restaurants and we loved the Caribbean restaurant! The room I stayed in was old. Like most of England but felt like it needed a bit of a spruce up. Metal bunks are a nightmare as they sqeek when you move. Would recommend new wooden bunks in the room. I only stayed in a 2 bed dorm though (number 7). Otherwise the hostel was good.

• 15th Aug 2014

Many thanks for your comments. There is a reason for using metal bunks, that reason being bed bugs. Some years ago we bought brand new wooden beds throughout the hostel over 200 beds), shortly after we were infested with bed bugs. Bed bugs climb wooden beds and get in the joints and under any wooden slats. We ended up having to throw all the wooden beds out, fumigate rooms and then replace all the wooden beds with metal ones. We've not had a problem since.

A decent Place to stay in the centre of Bath. No lift, wifi to be used only in the entrance area, thin walls and the breakfast is not the best I've had... But okay if you're more or less just looking for somewhere to sleep. Helpful staff and clean bathrooms/showers.

Rooms were brand new and lovely. Very clean. Breakfast was included which is nice. Wifi isn't so great though

My Dormitory was very clean and the bed was in a very good codition. The internet connection though wasn't very good, it would be great if we could use the internet in the dormitory too.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Greece

Many thanks for your comments. We hope to, at some point in the future, have internet throughout the building, but it will be a large and costly operation and it's a case of prioritising where money it spent and there are more pressing issues that will take priority first. It would also be a bit pointless at present as our wifi isn't very good. We would like fibre optic, but have met opposition from the council, but hopefully will get it at some point.

This place has something akin to a hospital vibe. It's great if you just need a clean bed and decent bathrooms for a couple of nights but terrible if you want to meet other travellors.

Close to everything in Bath. Quiet great to get to sleep. Little bit crowded with three level bunk beds. Showers were a bit cramped could hardly turn around in one. Bathrooms could have been a little cleaner.

the place is in great location, and people on the reception were super nice... but i had leave cause of bed bugs, got money back for the nights i didnt stay there...

The hostel was very nice. Building, rooms, dining hall, and bathrooms were all very clean. I enjoyed how each bunk had curtains to allow for some privacy. Location was great, close to everything. Was a bit difficult to find at first, and I recommend that those with suitcases access the hostel from the Broad St entrance(s). From Walcot St, there is a long staircase, making it difficult with suitcases. But otherwise a fantastic location. Free Wifi only on ground floor and had to log in every time.

Nice hostel, great location, a bit hidden but not to busy. Showers could be better, but were ok. Could be more atmosphere, now there's just a hallway and a boring restaurant, that's only busy in the morning.

I had a wonderful stay and would defiantly return back in the future and the staff where very helpful and kind.

• 8th Aug 2014

Rooms are clean and big enough. No possibility to plough in anything in the room. Wifi does only work in the lobby, and then only 10 percent. Breakfast tastes horrible in a horrible breakfast room but there is a bakery nearby.

• 8th Aug 2014

Staff was excellent, customers not so much. Drunk people screaming outside untill 3 every night. Breakfast is basically toasted white bread with butter, delicious but not nutricious. Location is amazing, just take your breakfast in one of the little shops and stay is cheap.

• 7th Aug 2014

I LOVED this place! The best hostel I've ever been into! Very nice, kind staff, always listening and giving suggestions. Nice free break-fast. Awesome room with special curtains for additional privacy. Comfy beds, with curtains and special individual lights.

Noisy bedroom doors. Smelly carpet in the corridor. a self catering kitchen would be a plus.

• 5th Aug 2014

1. They should keep the toilets much cleaner. 2. my room's window couldn't be locked. 3. It was the first time I was charged for leaving my luggage one hour longer than the check-out time in a room they have in the back.

• 5th Aug 2014

Many thanks for your comments. Our showers and toilets are cleaned daily between 10am and 12 noon, we also now have a couple of cleaners coming in of an evening to sort out any mess that has occurred during the day, so any mess in the toilets will have occurred between these times. As for locks of the windows, the room in question on the 1st floor is 3 floors up on Walcot street and someone would need an extended ladder to gain access, beside the fact the windows only open part way.

Really good value compared to other B&B's and hotels in the area. Location was fantastic - right in the centre, with staff on the front desk 24 hours - fantastic! All we needed.

• 4th Aug 2014