Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

The hostel was great. The location is not far from most sights and there is a lovely courtyard. There was some street noise at night, but otherwise I would highly recommend it!

I spent 2 days in this YMCA. Location is excellent however my room (room Nbr 4 with 12 beds) was overlooking Broad Street which was very noisy in the evening. WIFI was only available in reception area. Breakfast was excellent and they served evening meals, no possibility to cook but there is a microwave available for guests I had my food stored in their fridge. Not far by foot from the train or coach station.

Many thanks for your comments. As with all places in Bath, noise can be a problem no matter where you stay. Our wifi has now been changed and has a much wider range. It can be accessed anywhere downstairs and on the private room side on the 1st floor and around 50% of the 2nd floor. The restaurant only opens for meals in the evening if a group books them, sometimes it will be for the group only, but if guests wish a meal the it may be possible if they have enough food on the go.

Average hostel: Pros- The location is outstanding- easy walk from everything in the city center.I felt safe in the area around town and the price was also pretty good for Bath. Cons- Not a really friendly hostel. Huge group (50+) of Argentinian teenagers hanging out in the communal space- the only place the WIFi worked. The shower stalls are really small, and hot water spotty.Electricity in room stopped working, my first night, but at least they allowed me to move (at 11:30 at night).

Many thanks for your comments. We do have lots of groups stay here, but I wouldn't say they were unfriendly. Our wifi has now been upgraded and works anywhere downstairs, including outside in the courtyard, it also works on the vast majority of rooms on the first floor and appox 50% of rooms on the 2nd floor. The electric problem was due to a tripped switch on the landing, it happens when things such as heavy duty hairdryers are used.

Good basic, clean, convenient accommodation at reasonable price.

• 14th Sep 2014

Many thanks for your comments.

I stayed at Bath YMCA for one week in single room on the 3rd floor. The room was pretty much basic, but spacious. Everything was as showed on photos on website and as described. Breakfast (included in the price) was also very basic, but it was good to have it;) Tea available all day free of charge was convenient. Its a huge hostel so you can expect lots of people, rush, noise, but it's all manageable ;) Stuff was always helpful and nice. I would def recommend this hostel for budget travelers.

• 14th Sep 2014
  • Serbia

Many thanks for your comments.

I had a lovely stay in a single room. The breakfast was great but the restaurant, especially the floor and the windows, could do with a renovation. The hostel is very well located and I could leave my backpack in a storage room during the day for only 50p.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • Belgium

Really glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the feedback. It's all a case of priorities and cash flow when renovating things.

The hostel is now looking very tired. The bunk beds wobbled and had screws missing. The plumbing clunked and sweaked all night and we had little sleep either night. Disappointing given the amazing location and potential.

Great location with friendly staff. Small comfortable room with good, clean, spacious bathroom facilities. Good range available for breakfast.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand
  • All Female Group, 41+

Many thanks for your comments

Friendly and helpful staff. Good quality breakfast. The dorm was being used as a bedding storage space, and despite 'cleaning in progress' signs there was much evidence of it in the bathroom. Heavy traffic and party goers mean keep the windows shut if you're road side.

• 11th Sep 2014

I reserved a single room for two nights in the middle of September. With hostels, you generally get what you pay for. And when I got into my room, it was pretty stark. Steel bedframe, mattress, sink, and a chair. In a room that just barely fit the furniture. But hey, it wasn't a terribly expensive room, so I can't complain - I got what I paid for. One thing to note, however, is that there isn't internet in the rooms, only in the common areas. And the showers were a bit narrow.

Many thanks for your comments. The room reserved was actually a one bed dorm over the dorm side of the building, not a single room over the private rooms side of the building, hence the price of £17 a night and not £32 a night. Our single rooms are much more spacious. Our internet now works downstairs, outside and on most of the 1st floor and around 50% of the 2nd floor on the private room side of the building.

The hostel is a good 15 minutes walk from the train station. Very close to everything. Very quiet. Lovely and clean rooms. Staff are helpful. A lovely place to stay. Breakfast included.

Many thanks for your comments. To be fair, it's not always quiet here, especially from noise in the city itself, but we do try and get guests to keep the noise down when arriving of an evening, this isn't always successful, but we do our best.

Reasonable and pleasant

• 10th Sep 2014
  • South Africa

Location was only a quick walk from the bus station, and very close to the main sights. Linen included, but you have to make your bed. Wifi speed was good for FaceTime, but only is in the lobby and the dining room. Microwave and hot water were available. They closed the dining hall and the lobby at like midnight. That was a little annoying, but the facilities were good, and the beds were clean—this is the hostel where most locals recommend you stay in town, and I'm happy I did. I'd come back!

Good location and friendly staff, but the facilities are not great. The girls' showers are super small (and I'm a fairly small person), the beds not very comfortable, and at least outside my window I can hear a bunch of drunks causing a racket from 1-3am on both nights I was there.,

Many thanks for your comments. We can't unfortunately do anything about the drunks on the streets of Bath and noise can be a problem in most areas of the city, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. I will get the maintenance men to take a look at the mattresses in this particular room, perhaps they need changing. As for the showers, most people appear to be fine with them as we get very few complaints about them.

Perfect location in Bath. Great price and breakfast included. Room had a bit of dust in the corners and on the bed lamp shelves, but the bedding was perfectly clean. Beware the sadist showers that require a button to be held down to operate. Would stay here again or recommend to others.

Stayed at the front side of the building on a saturday night and went to bed at midnight then woke up by the noise of a group of teenager (talking, screaming out loud) who back to their rooms for half an hour then they left (we did ask them twice to respect people who were sleeping). Later on we went down to talk to a guy at the lobby to take care of this problem. But it did happen again at the main entrance/réception area that they let people talking out loud until 5:30am that we could sleep!!!

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Thailand

NEEDS to be revamped. Bad atmosphere. But bathroom was cleaned. Breakfast was simple but it had fruits.

Considerando lo caro que es uk no es malo, pero comparado con el resto de Europa es algo regular.

there was a lot of spider at toilet. If WiFi service reaching every room is more convenient for the customer. Single seat sofa might be damaged, sitting on it and then falling into it.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Great hostel, great location. Only negative is the noise! They have a sort of games room downstairs where they allow guests to make as much noise as they like until 1am, every night!