Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

Good central location but a little tricky to find. They let me check-in early which was nice. Reception staff friendly. 1x powerpoint in 8 person dorm room. Bunks & bedding old. Free wifi on ground floor only using self-serve ticket valid 1 hour, then you had to take another ticket, re-enter the code. Continental breakfast included but you pay extra for hot English breakfast. No self-catering kitchen except 2 microwaves. Hostel needs updating. Room door codes tedious. Expensive for what you get.

Many thanks for your comments. We have fully refurbished all 1st floor dorms with new beds, lamps, plug points and curtains, we are hoping to do the 2nd floor dorms sometime in 2014. We have now changed our internet to produce tickets that last for a day.

Security is non existent! No ID check on arrival. Request you leave your room key at reception when you leave building to aid in "fire safety", no ID required when retrieving key. Watched a guy walk up to desk, say a room number, guy gave him key. No name, no ID. Same thing when I asked for my key, and I was in a private room! No ID required when I came to retrieve my luggage from storage. Could have taken anyone's. Everything else was average. 10/10 would not stay again because of security.

Many thanks for your comments. We don't require ID for guests that stay as not everyone carries ID around with them. I am alarmed however that a check wasn't made when you asked for your room key. There will be times when guests notice that we don't ask a name when issueing keys, this is because we get to know a certain amount of guests who stay here, but if a guest is new to a particular duty manager, then they should be asked their name. I will reiterate this to reception staff.

There was no kitchen with which to cook in- only a microwave which means eating out a lot. This also means there isn't really a place to store food. For a day or so this is ok. For any longer not so much. On the plus side the beds were comfy. On the bad no lights by the bed in my dorm.

Many thanks for your comments. We do have a fridge in the back office if guests want to store a small amount of food. We have fully refurbished all dorms on the 1st floor, with new beds, individual lights, plug sockets and curtains. We are hoping to get the 2nd floor dorms done sometime in 2014.

Great place to stay in central Bath.

• 27th Oct 2013

An ok hostel. The Good: staff are friendly, it's relatively quiet, it's not overpriced, the location is pretty decent, nothing wrong with the beds. The Bad: Wifi only works in the lounge and kitchen and neither are great places for computerising (unless your in the right bed to pick up some cloud service). Lockers in the room aren't lockable. shower cubicles are clean but average in functionality.

Many thanks for your comments. The lockers in the dorms are locked using a padlock of a reasonable size. If guests don't have one then we take a REFUNDABLE deposit of £10 for our padlocks at reception.

The included breakfast is quite good and quite filling if you have some of everything. The beds are very comfortable, each has curtains all the way round, though the pillows are so flat as to be nonexistent. In the dorms, the beds are in stacks of three. Could be tough in higher season. Almost no-one there in low season. The lounge isn't very comfortable, and the TV is a distraction that doesn't aid community, but it is an older crowd that stays here. Lastly, showers are good, though tiny.

Good central location & good value for money However it is pretty noisy due to doors banging and water running in the pipes.

• 25th Oct 2013

Perfect location. Lovely staff. Very cheap. I will definitely return!

• 25th Oct 2013

Fantastic location in the centre of Bath. This hostel provides a welcoming, clean, overnight stay. The breakfast was good and I will certainly recommend this hostel to anyone. I will be staying again soon.

1 2 3 4 Next » last »