Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

only one socket in each room is clearly not enough...

Many thanks for your comments. We do have some multiple adaptors at reception that we take a £5 refundable deposit on.

Good value clean basic accommodation that is cheap. It was a suitable for us and the YMCA lived up to its reputation giving affordable accommodation to youths and families. It is great that there are family rooms and we don't all have to stay in dorms.

• 12th Apr 2014

During my stay, there were few groups of school children, hence through out the night I kept hearing door banging and kids shouting. Nonetheless, free standard breakfast was provided, Luggage storage after check-out is charged, £0.50 for small and £1 for big luggage. Staff are friendly.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Malaysia

Many thanks for your comments. We have all sorts of groups stay here and the ones with children have leaders who are suppossed to keep them in check, unfortunately not all leader do so. We would however encourage guests to report any problems to our 24hr manned reception, they will then sort such problems out by contacting the leaders of the group.

The staff were very friendly, the location was umatched, and the price was quite reasonable. Nobody was too noisy in the evening when we were there, and our room was very clean, though I never actually used any of the bathrooms during our one-night stay. The only drawback is that ID, or even names, were never requested to collect bags or room keys, despite in my case knowing the staff had never seen me before.

Many thanks for your comments, reception staff are suppossed to ask for names before issueing keys, that being said, in my 15yrs here there has never been a theft from a private room or by someone taking someones luggage. We have cctv throughout the building, also, a potential theif wouldn't know if the room was occupied, or if we knew the occupant. As for luggage, it should have a lable on it when it is stored and a left luggage disclaimer should be filled in with guests name and signature.

The staff was always available to answer questions. Everyone was friendly and eelcoming. The breakfast was good, and a microeave was available st all times.

• 10th Apr 2014

Only 1 complaint...the mattress springs made the bed very uncomfortable. Traded with my husband, mattress was a bit better Mattresses need to be replaced. Otherwise, loved staying at Bath YMCA hostel. Beautiful view from the room!

• Couple, 41+

Many thanks for your comments. We will check the room you were in and change the offending mattress. As with all hostels and hotels, you can only tell when a mattess needs replacing when the issue is brought up by a guest.

Loud traffic/revellers outside at night may disturb some.

• 8th Apr 2014

Overall really impressed with YMCA Bath. It was extremely clean, welcoming, and an excellent location to explore Bath. The only unfortunate part was it was pretty close to a pub which is a local hot spot and there was plenty of noise in the streets at 1 am on a Tuesday. However if I hadn't forgotten earplugs this would not of been a problem. But overall great place and if I needed somewhere to stay in Bath again on a budget would check here first.

• 8th Apr 2014

Really good. One of the best places I ever stayed.

• India

The rwas comfortable and met our needs for the night, but the walls are very thin... I was woken up very early by the noise of people moving around in the rooms and corridor outside - doors slamming, cleaning equipment being moved around etc. A bit more sound insulation/ consideration of others needed.

• 5th Apr 2014

Safe and good value for money.

A pleasure to stay here, they made our trip effortless.

• 5th Apr 2014

Perfect accomodation, very central and extremeley clean !!! would use again and reccommend

• 5th Apr 2014

Enjoyed our stay, good value for the area. Not too keen on not being allowed to keep our own key. It meant several times we had to wait for 10 minutes while other guests checked in, or while the only member of staff took bookings over the phone. No complaints though, and breakfast was great for free.

• 4th Apr 2014

Many thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. There are a few reasons for keys being left at reception, one being that if there was an incident here, for example a fire, we would check the keyboard, if your key wasn't there then we would assume you were in the building. The second reason reception staff cannot get spare keys once the maintenence men have gone home, so if a guest loses one then we open the room and it remains open, we also charge £20 for the lost key.

This was my first stay and I was very impressed. I will book again in the future recommend. The staff were very professional and helpful. A great location too.

• 4th Apr 2014

Generally very nice and adequate for our needs. 2 issues though. One socket in each room so bring a multiply gig you need more than one electrical at a time. Wifi is advertised yes, but is so slow. I tried to bet on Paddy Power for the Grand National and would have been quicker going to Ireland from Bath to place my bet directly. 1 and a half hours and other customers were complaining too so it wasn't just me.

• 4th Apr 2014

Many thanks for your comments. We do take a refundable deposit for multiple adaptors, unfortunately our supply seems to have dissapeared so need to get some more in. As for the WIFI, we have been trying to get fibre optic broadband, unfortunately I believe the council blocked it at some point as we need something on the room and because we are a heritage city they were against it. I believe though that we will have it at some point. It affects not only the guests, but us as a an online business.

Would have been nice to have towels provided - the rooms are not exactly dirt cheap.

• 4th Apr 2014

Many thanks for your comments. Places that provide towels will have encorporated this in their price, we would do the same. We prefer to not charge guests for something they may well already have brought with them. The charge levied on the towels is for washing and replacing ones that have been taken which is someone in the region of 100 to 150 per year. The price may seem steep, but it reflects the prices in Bath.

Have lived, worked and stayed in many hostels in the UK and Europe, was extremely pleased when I needed a few nights here between moving houses. Had trouble with noise on the first night, which was very quickly dealt with by moving my room to a quiter area. Very clean, staff were extremely accommodating. Would certainly recommend to others.

There were some minor defects in a shower facility (near the dormitory 2). One of the shower tubes did not work properly, spraying water all around. Also, the water was rather cold in that particular shower. But this was the only fault I saw.

• 23rd Mar 2014
  • Ukraine

The single room was large and clean. The staff were friendly and efficient and it's ideally situated in Bath city centre. For me though it was just too busy - there were so many people staying there that it was impossible to relax and the free wi-fi was incredibly slow because of the sheer volume of people logged into it. Personally I'd much rather a smaller hostel with more of an atmosphere. I felt that it is tailored more towards bigger groups than independent travelers.