Bath YMCA Reviews

International House, Broad Street Place, Bath, England

Great location, right in the centre of Bath and very easy to find. Great breakfast selection. I had a 2 bed female dorm and it was a good size with individual lockers in the room which was very convenient. The staff at the reception were extremely helpful and friendly and made my stay very nice. The location can be a little noisy at night but that's the flip side of it being central and if we shut the windows in the dorm we could barely hear it so it worked for me.

Has a motorbike park 1 block away. Common 'room' looks like a waiting area. You must wear shoes. Triple bunks but with individual power outlets and curtains. No guest kitchen. Breakfast is fantastic.

Many thanks for your comments. We do have guests that bring their motorbikes and put them in the courtyard, as long as there aren't to many then that is fine. It does mean however that they push them for a few yards up the pavement and in through the gate entrance which is locked around 10pm each evening.

The 'fresh' linen given to me by reception had blood stains, and the blanket on the bed had a big caked on chunky mass on it. The curtains around the bed had blackened marks all over them and the whole place really had a weird smell to it. The bathrooms were on a different floor and were pretty awful. No wifi, but the Wagamama's nearby had free wifi via The_Cloud. I would not recommend.

There were 4 empty beds in the dorm in question, we would have thought a word with reception and using another bed would have been the best option. Our linen is outsourced and brought into us and we have not had any problems that we have been made aware of. As for the showers and toilets, they are cleaned daily between 10am and 12 noon, so any mess in the showers is from ouside these times. Female showers and toilets are outside the female dorm on 2nd floor. We have wifi in reception.

No plug socket in the room! Unbelievable in today's modern society. Had to choose between running out of battery or leaving phone in the corridor overnight. Luckily option 2 worked out fine, but still not great as only one of us could use it. Other than that, nice cheap hostel and very clean!

Many thanks for your comments. There are plug sockets in all private rooms, some of them are obscured by the curtains. We had put notes in all rooms stating this, but some of them may have been tucked away somewhere by other guests.

Unfortunately our room smelled due to a smelly carpet

This was not a terrible hostel. It was my first YMCA stay, so maybe that's why things were a little different than I am used to in a regular hostel. It was definitely not the best hostel I have stayed in, but since there are so few in Bath, it was a fine place to stay. Nothing special, usually older men sitting around watching public access, but hey, it's the YMCA.

I only stayed for one night and had to leave before breakfast was served, so I can't tell much about the atmosphere. My room was well-equipped and clean, however, I had no internet connection in my room. In general, everything was old, especially the shared bathroom.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

We were in Bath for a family wedding and it could not have been more convenient or accommodating for four of us who came and went at different times during the entire weekend. Would certainly return. Thanks team.

• 20th Jun 2014

Nice hostel, had a great stay. Well located, clean and staff was friendly and helpful. Beware of their wifi which ended up being horrible.

Since Bathe is a more expensive city I was glad to find this reasonably priced hostel. It was very clean and the staff were very nice. I would use it again. 52 year old woman traveling with my 2 young adult daughters.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was nice. Some reviews mention no plug sockets but there was one. Bathrooms were clean. The only problem was the noise at night. We had hoped that as we were in a private room and not near the dorms that it'd be quieter, particularly as an 11pm curfew was mentioned, but there was lots of noise outside the hostel and from local pubs through the night so it was hard to sleep. It was a weekend during the World Cup so it might be better normally.

Good location, lots of people around and I wasn't sure if they were with the YMCA or simply hanging out in the courtyard. Hardest part was my room was not sound proof in the least so you could hear people talking all night, especially with the world cup on. Shower system also could not handle large groups of people. Lots of bread, fruit, cerial, yoghurt. Staff friendly.

Nice location and staff. Breakfast was good. Our room smelled a bit like a gym. It was nice to have laundry facilities.

• 9th Jun 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Really impressed, didn't spend much time in hostel, but was clean, comfortable and perfectly adequate, central location left plenty of time for shopping and exploring nightlife. A good selection of breakfasts were provided , would recommend and return

• 7th Jun 2014

This is probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Great atmosphere, great staff, would stay at again if in the area. Would recommend highly to a friend.

The mixed dorm had a slightly odd smell - not dirty or anything but slightly odd

• 6th Jun 2014

Seems a lot like an old, lower tier retirement home. Don't go here if you want to stay in a place that matches bath's charm and class, it will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Many thanks for your comments. Fortunately for us, the vast majority of people disagree with you, as do the quality in tourism assessment board who regularly give us the highest rating that we can get (due to the fact our rooms aren't en-suite) which is a 3 star rating. We would encourage all our guests to give us some constructive advice about how to improve our hostel. Such advice will always be taken on board and action taken if we feel appropriate and costs permiting.

Very safe, generous buffet breakfast,

• 2nd Jun 2014

rGreat location to explore Bath and a lot of information was available at the hostel.The breakfast that was included was a big bonus and was tasty! Clean and comfy and quiet considering the central location. Would recommend to others and would stay again :)

A nice hostel, quite big and impersonal but was still good. Wifi only in common rooms, rooms were nice with curtains around the beds, each with an outlet and light. Unfortunately if one person has their light on after dark it lights up the whole room though. Good location, not far from the Roman baths. Lots of hen nights/bachelor/bachelorette parties which can be annoying but was a good stay for me.