Baxpax Downtown Hostel/Hotel Reviews

Ziegelstr. 28, Berlin, Germany

The front desk staff were very helpful and patient with our many questions. My only complaint was that the AC in our room didn't work, even after the handyman came up several times to look at it (he had to remove shattered mirror parts a previous guest had put in the vent to avoid a fine??). We had to open the door to the hallway during the middle of the night to make the room the room a bearable temperature to sleep, but it doesn't seem like that's the norm.

Pros: the hostel had a great location that was easy to access from the main train station. It was close to 2 subway lines. The room was clean and the ensuite was great, however make note that not all rooms offer an ensuite. Cons: While the hostel warned of a linen charge, the city tax was not included in the price thus increasing a two night stay by 5€/pers. Breakfast is not included but also not worth the price you pay. The hostel was terribly understaffed and not very prompt with service.

Having to pay "taxes" upon arrival srivethe price up almost 20%. I didn't appreciate choosing a hostel based on price to then have unknown taxes sprung on me. Don't hire towels/sheets, they also charge taxes (around 95%) on those too!! 30 bed was clean and good enough for the one night I spent there.

I really had some good time at the Baxpax Downtown Hostel and I met many interesting people. The hostel isn't far from sites of interest. However, a microwave for backpackers is really missing and if something could be done about this, that would be great.

I really enjoyed this hostel. The staff were very cool and while sometimes the service was lacking I believe that was due understaffing and not the actual staff. The wifi was only good in the lobby and I would have liked it if breakfast was served before 8. However the atmosphere was excellent. This is definitely a party hostel and you will meet new drinking buddies every night.

Im not sure I would stay here again. The location is pretty good but the place is expensive. 7 euros for breakfast!! Also, some of the staff werent very friendly. A girl who worked at the bar one night just had a bad attitude and another guy gave me a hard time about filling my waterbottles from the tap because "his boss wants him to make money." So rude.

This place was a little trio alternative for me. Down in the common areas, it was all dark, like the lighting at a bar. It was like a bunch of people just sitting in their too-cool-for-the-world cave, getting drunk. The dorms themselves were nice and comfortable. The staff was polite, but not particularly friendly. Breakfast was way overpriced, so I always went somewhere else to eat.

We stayed in the 32 bed dorm - was interesting, not as friendly as we thought because there seems to be too many people to interact properly. But we had a really good time - the rooftop and back outside areas are lovely. Close to a train station so you can get wherever you need to go, in walking distance to Museum Island and many other sites.

The hostel is worth the price, but keep in mind that there is no air-condition and you have to sleep with open windows if it's hot outside. In this case you'll have an awful night as drunk guests will make a lot of noise in front of the hostel all night long. Still don't know why the staff doesn't intervence...

Baxpax was not good. Staff (except only 1-2) were terrible. If you stood at the desk to ask a question they would not speak to you. Not even acknowledge you. They seemed to not want to help and could be very rude. Wifi was also very bad and slow. Rooms were boiling! No aircon, just a sweat box. No of my mates who staid there rated it.

• 18th Jul 2014

Really good hostel, excellent location near restaurants And 10 min to brandembour gate. Very clean And Nice atmosphere, the staff Are helpful. Also has a terrace and a playroom. Recomendable

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Annoying that the hostel made us change rooms between our nights stay. The hostel staff weren't as welcoming and friendly as some of the other hostels we have stayed in, although overall everything concerning checking in was good.

Stayed in the 30-bed mixed dorm here and, coming from a 22 y/o on a tight budget, I thought it was pretty good value for money. Other than only being able to use the wifi upstairs near reception, the main thing that turned me off was how dark it was in the dorm - even during the day. Each bed has a small light but even with that on I found myself struggling to find things in my bag. Other than that, a good and very affordable in a great location (an S-Bahn is just round the corner).

I stayed in their 30 bed dorm which wasn't bad at all. You had your own cubicle of 4 with lockers beside your bed - lockers was a decent size. Situated near a main train station (Friedrichstrasse) which is convenient if you're coming from the train or airport. There is an elevator which was convenient because I had a 30kg suitcase with me. The only slight negative thing to say was the wifi kept dropping out everytime and the powerpoints were in one corner of the cubicle of 4.

Nice hostel, easy to meet people in the rooms and hang out! The staff was ok but they could show more things to travellers and give more advice. Besides that really good

Hidden charge for bed linnen which is compulsory, so why not add it to the total cost??? Staff were unfriendly and didn't consider the queue building up. No effort to speed up the process by passing the registration forms to people to fill in, so a lot of time was wasted. Totally inefficient.

This is a very large hostel which is nicely decorated and in a fanastic location so all the main attractions are within walking distance. Only drawback we found was that there was no kitchen which we could cook in meaning we had to eat out more than we would have liked, other then that its a lovely place to stay

very good location for us: 15 minutes walk to the Brandenburg Gate which was great for us getting to see the World Cup. However the staff weren't very helpful when we asked for places to recommend for eating- the Hostel didn't have any cooking facilities not even a fridge. It was kept clean and the rooms were nice with a locker which you need your own padlock for. However the ensuites did not have any hand wash in them. Hostel wifi was awful

Great location, good mix between party and relaxed atmosphere. Nice staff, young clientele when I was there.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Norway

Very poor service from the staff who were often rude and abrupt, was made to switch rooms for no apparent reasoning other than poor management on the hostels behalf. Be prepared for literally none of the facilities to work e.g laundry machines and wifi! No free b'fast is a downside as this is not the cheapest of hostels! The close location to the train station is the only thing that's a plus to this hostel, need to review the front of house service of all staff members!