Bay Adventurer Apartments and Backpackers Resort Reviews

28 Kings Rd, Bay of Islands, Paihia, New Zealand

It was a nice hostel with in ny opinion a great atmosphere and plenty facilities (pool, tennis court, bikes, free international calls). The only serious disadvantage was the really dirty kitchen. Despite being cleaned in the morning it was dirty by 11am. Furthermore the fridgerators were really dirty and there was a lack of dry and clean teatowels. Every other facility was perfectly clean.

Worse hostel i had in NZ. Disgusting kitchen and bathroom. I stayed 3 nights and they came to do the bedroom cleaning only the last day. Very noisy. No internet working. Horrible fridge... Could do a list of négative points dont go there !!!

This hostel definitely has potential but unfortunately was a disappointment. The kitchen is filthy and I've no idea why, but it's the worst I've experienced. The wifi is really weak and unreliable. The en suite in my dorm wasn't cleaned in 6 days. The hot tub was cold. In terms of positives, my bed was comfortable and the outside area is good for socialising if the weather is good.

Great atmosphere, benches in the main area outside the rooms means it's very sociable. Security shut down the area at 11pm as they encourage you to go to the beach or to a bar. means that if you want to go to sleep, after 11pm it's very quiet. The kitchen is quite small and fridge space isn't huge, the girls showers tended to flood the floor. However, overall I had a good time here, staff were hellpful and friendly and the location is 2mins walk to the beach.

Was just a bit loud as many party people were staying there and at the place next door. But I still enjoyed all the great facilities the place offered! Tennis and the pool was fun

Great Hostel!. I would live there. Great location, great atmosphere, super clean and good facilities. Kitchen big enough. Nice comfortable beds (the best ones I ever slept in hostels), and super helpful nice staff. I met a lot of nice cool people.

The guy at the reception, Eric, made an excellent job. He was really nice and helped us with everything: activities, bookings, etc... We really enjoyed our stay at the Bay Adventurer, nice rooms, nice people, good facilities. Only the kitchen could have been a little bit more tidy and clean.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Mostly delt with the French lady who sounds Scottish who was lovely and really helpful. 10/10 to her. Nice place and so many included facilities for a great price. Thanks!

Overall, the hostel was pretty good. The staff, although very friendly, were a bit all over the place and a bit ADHD. The courtyard in the center is a really great place to gather and chat with other people; but it can get quite noisy at night where their cutoff is at 11 PM. The kitchen was big, but there really isn't much accountability to keep it clean. Location is standard as all the hostels in Paihia are close to one another.

The hostel is saying they have free bicycles and cayaks. Maybe not the only reason we booked there, but a part of our decision was made up on that. When we came we were told one cayak was broken, so we could use a voucher in the nearby rental place = not free cayaks. Then we thought about borrowing the bicycles, and were told they were all broken. Please remove info about those things if you not plan to fix them. Other facilities as one laundry machine and the boilng water tap was also broken.

I stayed at Bay Adventurer for a week. I was mainly there to rest after working a lot in Welli for a few months and I just loved it. Staff is friendly and nice. The place gets quiet after 11pm an the rooms are clean and tidy. The beach is five min walk and you have bars next door so it s really convenient. If I had to go back to Paihia I wouldnt look for another place.

• 6th Nov 2014

Very noisy in the evenings, but only until 11 pm, after that it was nice and quiet. Only 2 power outlets for a 6 bed dorm - definitely not enough! Shower curtains were moldy and really disgusting. Good location, nice and helpful staff. Nice amenities like free tablets to loan, free computers with internet.

Unfortunately the atmosphere in the hostel wasn´t cosy, because it was a big hostel but at the moment(off season) almost empty.

I loved this place! It was so difficult to leave I kept extending my stay. The staff was wonderful - friendly and beyond helpful. The other travelers were wonderful as well. Lots of solo travelers looking to make friends. There was always something to do, from BBQs to outings with the hostel to going out with the hostel to just watching movies and chatting. Internet was always accessible, the kitchen and bathrooms fulfilled basic needs and the dorms were quite comfortable. No doubt I'll return

Great place to stay in Paihia! I choose this place originally because it was cheap so I wasn't expected too much. Beds were decent and the whole place was at a standard level clean. The rooms had large lockers that could fit everything I had which was nice. The open courtyard made socializing during the day easy. What really made this place great was the staff. They were all friendly, sociable, and helpful which made my stay better than I had expected. I'd definitely stay again if I'm ever back

Great place.....great staff, friendly and fun!

Loved staying here! The staff are super friendly and helpful, everything is kept very clean and the free to use computers, ipads, phones, ect were awesome!

Awesome hostel, staff are extremely helpful and friendly! Big clean kitchen, free computers and tablet to Skype, free 30 mins calls international.. Socialable hostel with large social area indoor and outdoors. Such a great atmosphere I will be back.

• 8th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Door lock didnt work properly. Staff were aloof and busy doing who knows what. It rained with gale force winds the whole time we were there and the staff could not recommended what we could do and no services or socials organised so...stayed in room all the time. Boring place.

• 29th Aug 2014

A lot of free activities! Great facilities, specially the kitchen area - Play some Wii, have a chat & just chill out! Definitely coming back! (BIG bonus - free towels, very friendly staff!)

• 27th Aug 2014