Beach Backpackers Hostel Rio de Janeiro Reviews

Rua Guilhermina Guinle 95, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Fantastic location just a few minutes walk to metro station direct line to Maracana stadium , you can walk to sugarloaf in under 20 mins and bus to christ the redeemer statue leaves from end of road and there are supermarkets and cheap places to eat nearby . All the staff are helpful but juan was fantastic and really helped to make our trip special snd saved us loads of times d money with his help and reccomendations

Place smells like cigarettes everywhere as they leave open the doors to outside smoking area. Too small an overcrowded! It's the size of a town house packed with over 60 people. Lady at front desk in the day is very impolite and does not speak English (though she thinks she does = more problems) We had booked in for 2 nights with the hope of extending if it was good (as we have ten nights here) and we left - don't recommend it!

Too many mosquitos...

Good hostel, close to the metro, clean kitchen, only thing is only one bathroom upstairs so waiting for the shower and be annoying. Staff really nice and helpful, not a fan of triple bunks but great atmosphere and good price! Would recommend

I liked it so much that I ended up staying longer than expected. Clean, well located, really nice staff (Juan and Sandra are the best recepcionists in Río). Totally recommendable.

Good night ! I enjoyed staying at the Beach Backpackers Hostel Rio de Janeiro , the problem that I saw was the terrible service of Lady Rose , which serves breakfast . A very polite lady bad . Apart from that , I loved everything and everyone , especially the employees who are in reception and the great diversity of people staying there. Thank you

• 15th Oct 2014

It is a very nice place . I think the staff and service can improve but basically was good and nice place to stay in. Recommended

a Very impolite receptionist woman wanted to charge me twice, althought I payed more than I should. I had this impression that she was a mercenary. I dont know if she was the owner or employee, anyways gave me a terrible impression. I may not get back there cause of her. Except for her, all the other employees were quite attencious. Although they threw me in a terrible position since they put me on the upper triple bunk which there wasnt even a ladder for me to climb. Very umcomfotably situation

• 26th Sep 2014

Dear Maria, The receptionists never overcharge any of our guests. And our staff is very helpful and honest. It is very bad such a misleading review. Our triple bunk bed (cheaper dorms) is recommend for young travelers. You arrived late at night and were expecting a lower bed available in high season? Sorry but we can't help with that. For any other issue we will always be available to help you. Regards, Beach Backpackers Hostel

I had a great time staying at Beach Backpackers Rio. So much so, that I changed my flight and stayed a few more nights. Special thanks to: Juan for his impeccable management and Federico for the long philosophical chats at 5am. Next time I am in Rio I will stay here again!!

• 25th Sep 2014

The hostel is a good place to stay. The breakfast is huge (although once the woman from the breakfast didn't allow to take us more than one slice of cheese) and the rooms are okay and there are enough plugs. The community area is okay, and the guys from the reception friendly. You get alcoholic beverages in the hostel, but can't bring any from outside. If you wanna store luggage in the hostel it costs 10 real a day which is nearly the same price as for a night there.

We enjoyed our stay and thought Phillip was really friendly and helpful! We liked the relaxing common room but the beds were really shaky so made a lot of noise in the night.

The hostel is good value for money. Hot water, breakfast included, clean rooms and a very well equipped kitchen. Botafogo is a nice, safe area and it's very easy to get around on the metro. The triple bunks in the one room were very unstable but we changed to the bigger dorm and the beds were much better. Also, when we first arrived there wasn't a locker available for us even though the hostel wasn't nearly full. But Overall the hostel is a great place to stay in Rio if you have a limited budget

There is another hostel next to this which I considered much better. This one, beach backpackers has not skilled Staff, the rooms with 15 beds is the worst I´ve been.

• 31st Aug 2014

Very good quality/price ratio. Quite well located, warm welcome and confortable beds (compared to the price paid). I would recommend this hostel for young people who don't want to spend a lot of money in their accommodation.

• 8th Aug 2014

this hostel was a great place to stay in rio. safe location even walking around alone at night looking for food, or coming home from a bar. it is a pretty long walk to copacabana or ipanema beach but the bus or metro (train) is always an option. the one bad this was the lack of toilets and showers considering how many people can stay there. But that being said i would definitely stay there again.

nice atmosphere and staff , i'd recommand this hostel if you stay in rio ;)

good location,good price,very good atmosfere,very very friendly personnel

The English speaking staff at this hostel are very helpful and informative. The hostel is located in a nice area and is about a 15 minute walk to Botafago metro station. There is a nice vibe about this place and it attracts a chilled out crowd. The downstairs area is a nice place to chill. The hostel does need more lockers and toilets though as the hostel is often full. The beds are creaky and try to avoid the top bed as it is high from the floor. Good breakfast too and 2 computers for guest use

Good for single travellers/friends, not so good for couples. Small double rooms. Scarce breakfast, good equipment for making own food. Over-filled fridge. Nice veranda.

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

The highlight of this hostal is it's staff--specially Federico who is always in a good mood and ready to help. Other than that, it is quite a mediocre hostel in terms of infrastructure and comfort. Small rooms are packed with 15 freaking 3-story bunk beds. They are quite shaky and you will wake mostly everyone unintentionally or be awaken by anyone getting there late. Thank you very much for the common areas as they're awesome, YET I spend most of the day outside and not in your common area.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels