Beachside Backpackers Reviews

40 Church Street, Port Macquarie, Australia

Loved my stay here. The hostel is small which makes it perfect for meeting new people in the common area. As with every hostel in Australia there are some people who are here longer term, but unlike other hostels, they were incredibly friendly and made sure to join in with or start the fun with everyone at night. Lots to do, everything near by - and if it isn't, you can get a lift there. I didn't want to leave.

One of the best hostels I have stayed at, if not the best. Fab time here, staff are amazing as well and really make you feel welcome :) (espically the drivers!) Would love to stay here again when I am in the area.

Really lovely hostel- super relaxed and friendly with lots of places to socialise but also to sit quietly out of your room. Lots of events in the evening- we had a great $5 BBQ on the Friday night we were there. Kitchen facilities are good and shops are close to buy food and drink. Free surfing trips everyday with just a recommended donation. Would like there to have been lockers in the dorms. There are small drawers under the bed but they don't lock Would happily come back here again

And we would be super happy to have you girls back here any time. Glad you loved the free surfing, bbq's and martini's that may have actually been straight Gin with an olive in it. They were a situation. The draws under the bed can be locked you just need your own padlock - I was thinking of supplying locks but I was worried everyone would lose the keys, or even worse, I would forget the key code. Either way it would be a logistical nightmare for my simple mind. Until next time team Uk. All the best Basil Faulty

Amazing hostel! Felt right at home as soon as we arrived. The atmosphere was great & we really wish we could've stayed longer. Everywhere is so clean and the staff are brilliant, especially Nick, the hostel owner. Space for storing food and communal shelves with food everyone can use. Wine available for donations too! Free bus pick ups and storage, pool table etc, very sociable place.. met so many fab people! Great for people who like to party and socialise, we miss it already!!

And we miss you. Thanks for the amazing review, I especially liked the part about that Nick guy, the other staff are great, but it's true - he is definitely the best. Actually that's not true - you two were the best. We are but humble sloth like creatures when compared to your... awesomeness. Glad you liked the social aspects of the hostel and hopefully see you again before you finish your travels. Nic

Couldn't fault it, very clean and staff are SO friendly! Even though it rained there was so much to do, pool table, dvds, books etc.. Free wifi, tea and coffee, food shelfs and you can wait there even if your bus is at crazy time in the morning. One of the best hostels I stayed in! Thanks!

Thanks so much for the amazing review. We work very hard to give people a great alternative experience and it's amazing when guests appreciate it. The buses are a little pesky, I agree. almost as pesky as the rain which has been strangely consistently pesky this summer. It was amazing having you here... hostelworld will not let me use your real name so I shall for the purposes of this response call you Genevieve. Hopefully see you again in the near future. Nic

Hostel like home. The atmosphere here is immediate and open, everyone is welcome to join whatever is happening at the moment. There's not much to do at P.Macquarie besides visiting the koala hospital, doing a coastal walk or hanging at the beach, so it's a awesome change to chill at the hostel chatting up with other backpackers!

Such a great hostel! The atmosphere was really good and the hostel is homely. Every member of staff was so friendly and socialised even when not working. I stayed for 3 nights and the weather wasn't great on a couple of the days, so I ended up chilling in the hostel with some people and had a great time. I definitely recommend it!

• 12th Dec 2015

It was a pleasure having you here. Rainy days do make great days for inside hostel parties - we are glad you enjoyed them. Have a great rest of your travels. Nic

A great place to stay, very social and friendly staff/guests. Nights out/BBQs planned. Good and clean facilities. Free wifi. Close to shopping centre, supermarket, beach and koala hospital.

We are glad you had a great stay with us, we had a great time meeting you. We are also glad you enjoyed, and took part in the social side of the hostel. Our main aim here is to have fun and support backpackers who love the social side of traveling. I hope you continue to have an amazing trip Nic

Awesome place with the best staff ever you can find in a hostel! What a nice surprise when I arrived to find friendly staff, comfy (really comfy) beds and a place where you could feel like home (even if I only stayed 2 nights). Thanks guys for my glasses and the help with my stupid knee :)! I'll try to come back as soon as I'm done with my farm work ! :) :)

• 4th Dec 2015
  • Belgium

Hi, thanks for the amazing review and we hope your knee is feeling better; next time you will make the coastal walk. I hope your glasses found their way to the farm you work at. You said you were very blind without them and I was worried you would just spend the first week driving through fences. don't drive through fences, farmers don't like that :) Have a great time on the farm and see you when you come back to visit.

The room was very hot and smelled bad. Toilets were clean and kitchen also. Kitchen was pretty small. Lockers weren't very good and they never locked the door. Staff were nice and helpful. Location was good, close to the beach and not far away from the city centre. Could stay there again. :)

We are glad you found the kitchen and bathrooms clean, we do keep a very high standard of cleanliness. Unfortunately sometimes backpackers can have smelly shoes and sometimes this can make a room smell. If we notice it we ask people to take their shoes outside, but we try to avoid smelling peoples shoes - this might be a little strange :) The rooms all have locks but we do not lock your rooms, that is the guests decision. We do lock the hostel. We are glad you liked the location & safe travel

So far the best hostel I stayed in! Really nice atmosphere and the staff is just awesome! Checking in at 2am - no problem! Nice services with the pick up from the bus station. Best internet connection ever and great activities every day. Regret that I have only stayed there for two nights. If you have time spent them there! Only the lockers under the beds are a little bit small and uncomfortable, but this is absolutely the only thing I can complain about.

To sum up my stay at beachside, I booked in for 7 nights and a month later i'm still here & counting!! The basics then...great location, short walks to beach & shops,pubs/ restaurants. Hostel is top quality, due to a fantastic staff!! I have been made to feel like this is my home away from home...mainly because of pele the hostel dog she is super sweet!!! 😍 The atmosphere here is so good plenty of activities, games & drinking lots of...if you are after a hostel with character this is for you!!!

Awesome atmosphere, staff are all really friendly and helpful, great location to the beach and town. If your looking for an alternative, welcoming hostel then this is the place to go! Best hostel we've been to in Australia :)

I only planned on staying for three nights but end up staying for two weeks! Great atmosphere and easy to socialise, met some great people and would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Great, friendly environment and excellent community space.

• 24th Oct 2015

Absolutely amazing hostel, I have been away from home for quite awhile kow and never have I felt so at home as I did at beachside. Everything about this hostel was welcoming and it is ideal for any solo traveller, even the most introverted. Staff and long termers were more than friendly and easy to get along with. I normally try not to stay in the same hostel twice but if I am back in Port Mac, I will forsure stay a few nights, but that could easily turn into a few weeks. Also best wifi in oz!

Great place run by amazing people! Good music, movies, art and a free pool table. Went for 3 days stayed for 7 and definitely would go back! Make sure to ask Nicael about the unicorn forest ;)

• 15th Oct 2015

The best hostel in a long time. The hostel has such a nice and welcoming vibe and you never feel alone or left out. There is always someone having a good time and you're more than welcome to join. The hostel itself is quite quirky and soulful. Clean and good facilities. Wifi is great! It's not like a big and busy hostel, it's a smaller and more friendly hostel (though with room for privacy). If you're traveling alone or in a group, this is the best option! It's so easy making new friends here.

• 13th Oct 2015
  • Denmark

booked for just one night about a week ago and am still here, its one of those places you just dont want to leave. toilets and kitchen are clean, good and fast wifi that doesn't cost a cent. good amount of party and a nice town to just relax as well.

• 5th Oct 2015
  • Belgium

Good hostel, only stayed for one night but seemed nice.

View all Port Macquarie Hostels