Beijing Downtown Backpackers Reviews

No. 85, Nanluogu Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

Nice hostel, nice location - in a busy area, but rooms are quiet. Free breakfast is handy.

Location is good for a day or two - but area is expensive. Staff are rude or too quiet - they don't make you feel welcome or at home. Jackie needs to work on that for sure. Stayed in a dorm, 5 middle aged guys got drunk and started carrying on the party there - when I told reception I was offered a chance to move to the most expensive room and pay. I stayed in the common room instead - fair play they gave me a refund for the night. But I definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• 13th Nov 2014

This is the 2nd time I stayed at the hostel. I might a round trip through China and decided to stay at the same hostel again once I got back in Beijing. I really enjoyed my stay there and that you can walk out the door and be in a street full of shops. They offer comfy beds, western toilet incl. paper, spacious shower for a hostel and good wifi.

Stayed near the back of the hostel, wifi signal impossible to connect.

• 31st Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Good quality of the stay for the price I've paid. Beds were very comfy and bathroom was descent. They offer an amazing tour to the Great Wall! Had to get used to the fact that I didn't have my own room key but when I got back to the room later, the staff had locked it so that means they check if there's no one in there for a while and secure your stuff. Breakfast is western and very basic but the location offers enough alternatives if you need any.

Great location. Free breakfast which was a good way to meet other travelers. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and the bed was clean but the bathroom was not the cleanest, overall I would recommend it mainly for the location!

• 13th Oct 2014

The hostel was ok when you look at the area. It was clean enough and the trips offered were brilliant. We went on the 6k Great Wall hike that was amazing! (Very hard work though!). As a whole though, Beijing is not a great place to visit. We loved the Great Wall and saw the forbidden city etc, but the place is extremely dirty, the people are constantly spitting phlegm all over the place. Just 100% behind modern civilisation.

The most unbelievably helpful staff!!!!!! They speak english well and their honest helpfulness knows no bounds. We travelled with 4 children and it was a pleasure staying here.

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

We loved our room a hich was clean and modern with a big, comfortable bed. The location could not have been better, the hutongs are awesome for walking around and there are lots of good cheap restaurants close by. Only negative was the Great Wall fun tour- basically just an expensive taxi- the guide disappeared as soon as we got there. The price doesn't include the ¥100 for the cable car to actually reach the wall. And they didn't even drop us back at the hostel, we had to walk a good 5min

Wonderful stay, friendly staff, great to have organised events and trips to join - particularly the Great Wall. Great location too!! Loved my stay in Beijing, thanks guys!

Well run, clean hostel with friendly & helpful staff. The alleyway that it is in is very busy. Be prepared to deal with crowds when getting in and out. Apart from that the location is excellent. Showers are fantastic and the 6km Great Wall hike is great.

Very friendly and helpful staff, awesome location and I liked how each bed in the 6 bed dorm had curtains around it, nice touch!!! Delicious breakfast served by friendly staff.

Hostel is in a really lively street, with nice shops and live music. The staff were very helpfull but didn't always speak good english. The services, facilities and tours were excellent, I booked the day trip to the wall with a 6km hike. The part of the wall that we visited was really nice and quiet. The breakfast offered next door was good! The hostel is not far from the metrostop, I would definitely stay here again!

Downtown backpackers was a great hostel. The room was lovely and the facilities excellent. The staff were very helpful and spoke good English. They had lockers which were great. We rented bikes for just 40 yuan a day and went on the 6k Great Wall trip which I cannot recommend enough. The street the hostel is on was quite busy but it didn't really matter. All in all I would highly recommend this hostel.

Nice hostel, good value, great location, room was quiet clean and pleasant.

Great free breakfast next door, staff friendly and helpful, cheap beer available in the hostel. Very happy

Have to admit at first I was a little weary about staying in this part of the city. But after witnessing how cool the area really was and how clean the hostile was compared to the rest of the city I would definitely stay again. You can't beat the price either.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The staff were always available and very knowledgeable. Every service was great and was very convenient. From buying stamps, to doing laundry, and getting directions. And the Great Wall hike was fantastic as well. Lockers were very convenient and free to use them. The location required a walk from the main road which is not so bad. It is in the middle of a touristy hutong with lots of fast food and souvenir shops. Close to subway which was very good and a short walk to the tourist bus.

• 18th Sep 2014

One downside is that you don't get your own key. Now, it isn't much of a problem as the kind people at the reception unlock it for you, but not all people in your room will always lock the door. Nice clean room and in the middle of Nanluoguxiang. This is a great busy street, with lots of nice shops and a few places to eat. Try the Drum and Bell Restaurant down the street or the cheap Baozi Pu to the north of the hostel at the corner of Guloudongjie and Nanluoguxiang.

Hostel Staff and terrace on the roof wonderful

« first « Prev 1 2 3