Beijing Downtown Backpackers Reviews

No. 85, Nanluogu Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

We loved our stay at Downtown Backpackers! Awesome location! My husband and I stayed in a private room, it was clean and even had a skylight! Staff is also very informative and helpful. We'll be back.

That was a good stay, people were very nice. The included breakfast was one an egg, some kind of bacon and undertoasted white bread, so after a few days, it got boring. We got into a little argument with the staff there as on Hostelworld it used to say that airport pickup was free, but they wanted to charge; they ended up not charging, fortunately.

This place was just perfect! From location, to staff helpfulness, to accommodations, this is absolutely the best spot in Beijing!

There were no keys available for the rooms. But there were lockers. There is a curtain attached to every dorm bed which is great. also the tour to the wall is a must. Really amazing.

I stayed two nights in a dorm. The facilities were good, and the location of the hostel is great - in a nice part of the hutong, and near to a metro station. The staff were always helpful when I had any questions.

Basic but friendly backpackers hostel. Location is great and the bunk room I stayed in was big and pleasant.

Superb hostel, well situated in the hutong. The staff were very helpful. Our double room was really clean & comfortable. Our trip to the Great Wall was fantastic and we really enjoyed an evening acrobatic show.

• 23rd Feb 2015

We were a group of three, staying in a three-bed room. The room was very nice - with good facilities and comfortable. The staff were excellent - very friendly and always willing to answer questions and give advice. The hostel is in a great location - in the hutong, and not far from a metro station. They provide a decent breakfast for free, and also organise trips to various sites - we did one of the Great Wall trips and the kung-fu show, which were both good.

The hostel is very basic, but clean, tidy and totally satisfactory. The breakfast was somewhat ridiculous. Piece of barely toasted toast + Bacon + Egg (somtimes) + 4 pieces of melon in average quality. It's alright to start out in the day. Plus, the street is full of places to eat for very little money. There is no self-catering facility in the hostel. The trips offered by the hostel (especially the one to the Great Wall) were absolutely amazing. Don't miss that.

• 19th Feb 2015

Had a great stay there, the staff were super friendly and helpful. I liked the fact there was no key system so it meant I didn't have to worry about losing a key. Maybe they could charge a tiny bit more and make the free breakfast a little bit better (or change it on different days of the week). Thanks to downtown backpackers, you made it enjoyable staying in beijing

• 18th Feb 2015

This is an amazing hostel. I think it could be classed more hotel then hostel. It offered free breakfast which we did not expect. The staff were very easy and pleasant to talk to. They offered tours of the great which was perfect. People coming from other hotels/hostels specifically for their tours. Tell you something. The location is really good. Would highly recommend this hostel to anyone

I love the fact that the subway station is so near now than before... The environment is still lively there are a lot of boutique stores :)

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Philippines

Great breakfast in a next-door restaurant. Apart from this they offer exciting trips to great wall and other tourixst attractions.

Best hostel I tried in Beijing !

• 2nd Jan 2015

Great staff, good location!

I would always recommened Downtown backpackers in Beijing, everyone here is welcoming and helpful! The staff will help you buy train tickets and help you find the places you need to find. The hostel also run interesting trips out.

The hostel was pretty good and the location was great. Also the tours they have to the Great Wall were well worth it since they take you to a remote part with no one else on it.

Nice hostel, nice location - in a busy area, but rooms are quiet. Free breakfast is handy.

Location is good for a day or two - but area is expensive. Staff are rude or too quiet - they don't make you feel welcome or at home. Jackie needs to work on that for sure. Stayed in a dorm, 5 middle aged guys got drunk and started carrying on the party there - when I told reception I was offered a chance to move to the most expensive room and pay. I stayed in the common room instead - fair play they gave me a refund for the night. But I definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• 13th Nov 2014

This is the 2nd time I stayed at the hostel. I might a round trip through China and decided to stay at the same hostel again once I got back in Beijing. I really enjoyed my stay there and that you can walk out the door and be in a street full of shops. They offer comfy beds, western toilet incl. paper, spacious shower for a hostel and good wifi.