Beijing Downtown Backpackers Reviews

No. 85, Nanluogu Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

The hostel was ok when you look at the area. It was clean enough and the trips offered were brilliant. We went on the 6k Great Wall hike that was amazing! (Very hard work though!). As a whole though, Beijing is not a great place to visit. We loved the Great Wall and saw the forbidden city etc, but the place is extremely dirty, the people are constantly spitting phlegm all over the place. Just 100% behind modern civilisation.

• 9th Oct 2014

The most unbelievably helpful staff!!!!!! They speak english well and their honest helpfulness knows no bounds. We travelled with 4 children and it was a pleasure staying here.

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

We loved our room a hich was clean and modern with a big, comfortable bed. The location could not have been better, the hutongs are awesome for walking around and there are lots of good cheap restaurants close by. Only negative was the Great Wall fun tour- basically just an expensive taxi- the guide disappeared as soon as we got there. The price doesn't include the ¥100 for the cable car to actually reach the wall. And they didn't even drop us back at the hostel, we had to walk a good 5min

Well run, clean hostel with friendly & helpful staff. The alleyway that it is in is very busy. Be prepared to deal with crowds when getting in and out. Apart from that the location is excellent. Showers are fantastic and the 6km Great Wall hike is great.

Very friendly and helpful staff, awesome location and I liked how each bed in the 6 bed dorm had curtains around it, nice touch!!! Delicious breakfast served by friendly staff.

Downtown backpackers was a great hostel. The room was lovely and the facilities excellent. The staff were very helpful and spoke good English. They had lockers which were great. We rented bikes for just 40 yuan a day and went on the 6k Great Wall trip which I cannot recommend enough. The street the hostel is on was quite busy but it didn't really matter. All in all I would highly recommend this hostel.

Nice hostel, good value, great location, room was quiet clean and pleasant.

Great free breakfast next door, staff friendly and helpful, cheap beer available in the hostel. Very happy

Have to admit at first I was a little weary about staying in this part of the city. But after witnessing how cool the area really was and how clean the hostile was compared to the rest of the city I would definitely stay again. You can't beat the price either.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The staff were always available and very knowledgeable. Every service was great and was very convenient. From buying stamps, to doing laundry, and getting directions. And the Great Wall hike was fantastic as well. Lockers were very convenient and free to use them. The location required a walk from the main road which is not so bad. It is in the middle of a touristy hutong with lots of fast food and souvenir shops. Close to subway which was very good and a short walk to the tourist bus.

• 18th Sep 2014

One downside is that you don't get your own key. Now, it isn't much of a problem as the kind people at the reception unlock it for you, but not all people in your room will always lock the door. Nice clean room and in the middle of Nanluoguxiang. This is a great busy street, with lots of nice shops and a few places to eat. Try the Drum and Bell Restaurant down the street or the cheap Baozi Pu to the north of the hostel at the corner of Guloudongjie and Nanluoguxiang.

Hostel Staff and terrace on the roof wonderful

The location is great. Nice Hutong area. Also easy to reach by bus or metro. I slept very well.

Overall was good. However a had a Canadian friend that lived in Beijing g for 6 months, he told me it was cheap about about $10 CND to go from Downtown to the airport. When I organized a taxi through the hostel on the way to the airport, they charges me $30 Canadian, and there was no sign on it saying it was a taxi. I'm pretty sure I got ripped off, but I can't be fore sure of course.

I spend two weeks in Beijing, I'm happy with Downtown backpackers hostel. Was fun to be here.

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • Mongolia

The lockers didn't have locks, when I asked they front desk they gave me one to use. They also lend out umbrellas for free. I found the front desk to be very helpful, but I do speak Chinese so that might have made a huge difference. The rooms were very clean, but everything was a little bit old in there, so it kinda had that look like it was dirty. Oh huge bonus, they have a free breakfast, one egg, one piece of bacon, and two pieces of toast and a glass of orange juice. I had it every morning:)

• 2nd Sep 2014

Very nice hostel and staff. And we loved the price of the beer and water!

• 25th Aug 2014

Located on a gorgeous Hutong street with great bike tours being offered there. They also have very good Great Wall of China tours - the kind that take you to the more untouched parts of the wall. The shops on that street stay open quite late and there are lots of young people (both tourists and locals) around even late at night, so you feel quite safe no matter the hour. Also located near a subway stop and the Forbidden Palace. Accommodations are nothing luxurious but quite acceptable.

Your belongings are relatively safe although you don't get a room key. It was a nice hostel though as the staff were nice and it was easy to socialise with other lodgers, and breakfast was provided. However, doing laundry was a quite expensive, more so because they didn't have a drier.

Our room was fantastic.The best we has on the whole trip(one month) The stafff was very helpful . Thank you.

« first « Prev 1 2 3