Beijing Downtown Backpackers Reviews

No. 85, Nanluogu Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

Downtown backpackers was a great hostel. The room was lovely and the facilities excellent. The staff were very helpful and spoke good English. They had lockers which were great. We rented bikes for just 40 yuan a day and went on the 6k Great Wall trip which I cannot recommend enough. The street the hostel is on was quite busy but it didn't really matter. All in all I would highly recommend this hostel.

Nice hostel, good value, great location, room was quiet clean and pleasant.

Great free breakfast next door, staff friendly and helpful, cheap beer available in the hostel. Very happy

Have to admit at first I was a little weary about staying in this part of the city. But after witnessing how cool the area really was and how clean the hostile was compared to the rest of the city I would definitely stay again. You can't beat the price either.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The staff were always available and very knowledgeable. Every service was great and was very convenient. From buying stamps, to doing laundry, and getting directions. And the Great Wall hike was fantastic as well. Lockers were very convenient and free to use them. The location required a walk from the main road which is not so bad. It is in the middle of a touristy hutong with lots of fast food and souvenir shops. Close to subway which was very good and a short walk to the tourist bus.

• 18th Sep 2014

One downside is that you don't get your own key. Now, it isn't much of a problem as the kind people at the reception unlock it for you, but not all people in your room will always lock the door. Nice clean room and in the middle of Nanluoguxiang. This is a great busy street, with lots of nice shops and a few places to eat. Try the Drum and Bell Restaurant down the street or the cheap Baozi Pu to the north of the hostel at the corner of Guloudongjie and Nanluoguxiang.

Hostel Staff and terrace on the roof wonderful

The location is great. Nice Hutong area. Also easy to reach by bus or metro. I slept very well.

Overall was good. However a had a Canadian friend that lived in Beijing g for 6 months, he told me it was cheap about about $10 CND to go from Downtown to the airport. When I organized a taxi through the hostel on the way to the airport, they charges me $30 Canadian, and there was no sign on it saying it was a taxi. I'm pretty sure I got ripped off, but I can't be fore sure of course.

Thank you for your comments. If you booked the taxi to go from our hostel to the airport, the normal price is 150 CNY (it that is $30 Canadian). It is absolutely not a ripped off price. If you wave a taxi on the street from the main street it would be around 100 CNY by taximeters. But if you order here from us, the driver has to come and drive in the narrow alley right in front of out gate while usually drivers will never drive in the alley.

I spend two weeks in Beijing, I'm happy with Downtown backpackers hostel. Was fun to be here.

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • Mongolia

The lockers didn't have locks, when I asked they front desk they gave me one to use. They also lend out umbrellas for free. I found the front desk to be very helpful, but I do speak Chinese so that might have made a huge difference. The rooms were very clean, but everything was a little bit old in there, so it kinda had that look like it was dirty. Oh huge bonus, they have a free breakfast, one egg, one piece of bacon, and two pieces of toast and a glass of orange juice. I had it every morning:)

• 2nd Sep 2014