Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

It's a very bizzare place to sleep in. (not the staff or facilities, just the building itself). on the corner with THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE installation.

We had an issue with a group of 6 men in our room. They arrived at 3 am totally wasted. One was sick in the room the others was super noisy. I asked the guy at the reception to change room for a private room because they shouldn't accept poeple like this in the hostel and the only thing that he was able to do was to give us an other room (8 beds dorms). We didn't want to disturb other poeple, so we slept in the kitchen... But it's a nice place to stay although they should redo their conditions.

Organized inside an old church which makes it interesting but rather far away from the main attaractions area of the city.

Quaint design, plaster dorms inside a church is just adorable....will definitely return to again if i'm in the area. Could have done with free bowls of cereal (as opposed to £3.00 for hot food) but this is only a minor complaint.

• 11th Oct 2014

Staff were brilliant at the hostel, really helpful and extremely kind to me and my group. Wifi was fast, toilets were clean, showers were clean and the kitchen area was spotless. If i was to be picky and even go to suggest any criticism is that I couldnt find any plug sockets in the room, but maybe I just didnt look properly hmmm

• 10th Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The church looks impressive from outside, but there is nothing of the "gothic atmosphere" inside of it. It rather looks like a student dorm. The staff were nice, but the basic thing I came there for - to sleep at nights in between days of travelling - was disappointing. The walls of rooms seem to be made of paper, the neighbours in other rooms can be heard as if they are sitting near you. So at first night I found myself knocking at the neighbours' door at 2 am to ask them speak quieter.

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Belarus

The location was extremely out of the way, the staff were very slow if not none existent, but the beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, and there was a decent amount of lounging space.

• 3rd Oct 2014

The hostel is quite nice, with pretty wall paintings everywhere. There is a big, nicely decorated, living room with a kitchen and a bar. Our twin room was nice and spacious, although quite cold outside the duvet! When you arrive, make sure to bring 20 pounds in cash to leave as deposit for the key - you'll save a trip to the cash point, that is far from the hostel.

I booked 6-people room, but they gave me a room for 8 people. The room is like a prison. I will never go there again.

Decent hostel for the money, however they messed my booking up so not sure how organised they are.

• 25th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments. All bookings made on Hostelworld.com are automatically processed, and the onus is on the guest to check their confirmation. The hostel is not responsible for incorrectly booked reservations. Happy travels!

Very interesting experience to stay in Belford hostel! very nice atmosphere and nice location!

We had a great stay. We loved the room and the hostel and we'll come back sometime.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Austria

It is necessary to clean more the bathrooms.

• 19th Sep 2014

Very strange place, church on the outside, and brought through to the inside. The rooms look a bit like temporary buildings. But clean and friendly with a 24hr bar, and plenty of showers and toilets which keeps the wait down!

• 19th Sep 2014

Hostel is allright except the mens shower and bathroom, which is really bad: dirty, musty, old and run down.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The hostel is very inexpensive- especially for Edinburgh. I would probably pay a tiny bit more next time to stay in a different place but that's only due to the lack of internet and power outlets in the rooms. To address others reviews: It's a walk from the "center" of things but it's an easy walk and worth it to save $. It can be a bit smelly (they have carpet and the windows don't open as it's an old church), The showers are downstairs but I found them excellent. Staff is gr8 esp Cheralyn :)

I liked stay at this hostel.

Rooms are OK. Staff unfriendly (overworked? Well, sorry for you, but not my fault!) Showers - the male showers will be renovated this Oktober, so maybe it's better if I don't write any more about it.

Depend on the staffs some have bad atmosphere, unfortunately.

The bathroom in the private room was uncomfortable as the draining system was way too slow to refill.

• 4th Sep 2014