Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Cheap and the staff were nice, but I would not stay here again. I only booked one night and was glad to leave first thing in the morning. The rooms are small, cold, with the lockers in the hallway. The room I was in had no proper ventilation, and there was no way to open the window. I heard that some of the other rooms didn't even have a window!. This results in the whole hostel smelling like dirty laundry, toilets and cigarettes. There is a decent kitchen downstairs and the showers are fine.

This hostel is okay, its very inconveniently located from everything, its all the way on the edge of the new town so it takes like 30 minutes to walk to anywhere you want to go to. But apart from that its okay i suppose.

• 1st Nov 2014

Really friendly and helpful staff. Pretty quirky place to stay, was a bit worried about it being cold, but it wasn't an issue and I had a great sleep!

It is not so exciting inside the church, I hoped to see more than boxes. Due to the reason that the hostel was a church the toilets and showers can not be everywhere. Only a few places are possible, so you have to walk a little. We did not use the shower because they were not very pleasant but for this price that is ok. Another point is the location outside the centre, you have to walk around 15 minutes to the train station.

• 24th Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. Accommodations were good and you are provided with a large locker that can easily fit a large rucksack or medium suitcase. There is a bit of a walk to the centre but it is very easy to get to and there is ample public transport nearby. Corridors are cold but that's because it's a renovated church, so what do you expect? The rooms themselves are clean, well structured and warm. My only complaint is the showers don't stay on long enough

• 24th Oct 2014

Hostel very dirty. Clean only staff area. Bathroom old and dirty. Smell not good. Staff unfriendly. Atmosphere very bad. Very cold. Heat rooms from 7 am to 8 am. Don. T give any inform. Came very late, after midnight nowhere to change money but had to pay now. Everywhere( about 60 hostels in 32 countries) i went they asked me if i would like to pay now or tomorrow. Only this hostel in europe, we have to pay now. If no card we had to sleep ( with a 70 y. old lady) in the street. Very bad hostel.

It's a very bizzare place to sleep in. (not the staff or facilities, just the building itself). on the corner with THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE installation.

We had an issue with a group of 6 men in our room. They arrived at 3 am totally wasted. One was sick in the room the others was super noisy. I asked the guy at the reception to change room for a private room because they shouldn't accept poeple like this in the hostel and the only thing that he was able to do was to give us an other room (8 beds dorms). We didn't want to disturb other poeple, so we slept in the kitchen... But it's a nice place to stay although they should redo their conditions.

Organized inside an old church which makes it interesting but rather far away from the main attaractions area of the city.

Quaint design, plaster dorms inside a church is just adorable....will definitely return to again if i'm in the area. Could have done with free bowls of cereal (as opposed to £3.00 for hot food) but this is only a minor complaint.

• 11th Oct 2014

Fantastic Staff! Enjoyed my staff, will return :)

• 10th Oct 2014

Staff were brilliant at the hostel, really helpful and extremely kind to me and my group. Wifi was fast, toilets were clean, showers were clean and the kitchen area was spotless. If i was to be picky and even go to suggest any criticism is that I couldnt find any plug sockets in the room, but maybe I just didnt look properly hmmm

• 10th Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The church looks impressive from outside, but there is nothing of the "gothic atmosphere" inside of it. It rather looks like a student dorm. The staff were nice, but the basic thing I came there for - to sleep at nights in between days of travelling - was disappointing. The walls of rooms seem to be made of paper, the neighbours in other rooms can be heard as if they are sitting near you. So at first night I found myself knocking at the neighbours' door at 2 am to ask them speak quieter.

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Belarus

The location was extremely out of the way, the staff were very slow if not none existent, but the beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, and there was a decent amount of lounging space.

• 3rd Oct 2014

The hostel is quite nice, with pretty wall paintings everywhere. There is a big, nicely decorated, living room with a kitchen and a bar. Our twin room was nice and spacious, although quite cold outside the duvet! When you arrive, make sure to bring 20 pounds in cash to leave as deposit for the key - you'll save a trip to the cash point, that is far from the hostel.

I booked 6-people room, but they gave me a room for 8 people. The room is like a prison. I will never go there again.

Decent hostel for the money, however they messed my booking up so not sure how organised they are.

• 25th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments. All bookings made on Hostelworld.com are automatically processed, and the onus is on the guest to check their confirmation. The hostel is not responsible for incorrectly booked reservations. Happy travels!

Very interesting experience to stay in Belford hostel! very nice atmosphere and nice location!

We had a great stay. We loved the room and the hostel and we'll come back sometime.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Austria

It is necessary to clean more the bathrooms.

• 19th Sep 2014