Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Located 15-20 mins walking distance to Haymarket train station. Bedrooms were clean and comfortable with lockers provided for each person. Bedroom walls are also paper thin so take ear plugs if you want a decent night sleep. Shower and bathroom facilities were very good, however they were located right on the bottom floor of the hostel, 3 floors below our bedroom. Overall, had a good stay at Belford.

Really nice place with a good vibe from all of the very friendly staff, but there wasn't much atmosphere however we only stayed overnight and it can take a few days to get into the swing of things in a hostel. Overall really nice place, good bar prices, good beds, good facilities!

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Northern Ireland
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Not bad! The rooms were really small and tight though, and wifi only works in the common room. Had to go all the way to the basement to use showers. It was far from the city centre.

Me and 4 friends stayed on Saturday night and had an amazing experience at the Belford hostel. The staff were almost too friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The facilities were clean with a new shower room which was nice to see. Value for money is an understatement. Best hostel I've stayed in and would choose Belford again even if I could afford a hotel

• 7th Mar 2015

My room was very comfortable, and the shower / toilet facilities were excellent.

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

IT WAS JUST AS I WAS EXPECTING. IT IS NOT TOO CLOSE TO THE CITY CENTER BUT A 15 MINUTE WALK IN A NEW CITY IS ALWAYS GOOD. IT WAS NOT ANYONE AT 7 00 AM TO DELIVER THE KEYS AND TO GIVE ME BACK THE DEPOSIT. BUT ANYWAY THEY DID IT TO MY DEBIT CARD. SO I AM GRATEFUL FOR EVERYTHING.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Ecuador

Amazing price for everything that you get! Will definitely be recommending to anyone I know visiting Edinburgh. Good location, friendly staff, and fantastic rooms.

• 21st Feb 2015

We had a blast in Edinburgh, the city was great but so was the hostel! All new bathrooms, really comfortable beds and the way the whole place looked made it really pleasant for us to relax after a day in the city. We can, and will, definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to visit Edinburgh :)

• 18th Feb 2015

I had a great experience at this hostel! It was the first one I had ever stayed in and it set the bar high. I recommend bringing earplugs, since it's in an old church you can hear everything. The staff were beyond lovely. I didn't use the kitchen to make my own food but everything looked very clean, if I go back I'll certainly use it! They have storage lockers in the rooms and you get a key to one for no extra charge (huge plus). You should stay here! :)

Had a fantastic stay here. The Australian lady on the desk was really helpful and used her initiative to sort out my early check out. The hostel is about ten minutes walk from the centre, right by the river. Far enough away to avoid the noise, close enough to walk everywhere. Edinburgh is an awesome city, when I come back, I'll stay here again.

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel -- the beds were very comfortable and warm, the atmosphere (being in an old church) was really cool. The location is a bit of a walk from the city centre, but wasn't too bad, and it was pretty close to some cool museums up the hill. We had one issue with the payment was it was quickly solved by a very friendly manager in the morning. Overall a great stay! No complaints at all.

• 6th Feb 2015

It was a bit cold in the room, and the bathrooms were super cold - but then again theres probably nothing they can do about it. Staff was mostly nice, there was a guy who was super nice and helpful, but then there was also a girl who seemed a bit rude (well she never said hi to me). All in all, standard hostel facilities, good value when you want a cheap place to stay. Location was pretty good - 5 min from Haymarket station (buses go to airport from there) and about 15-20min from the city center

I stayed in a Twin room which was very nice, confortable and cleaned. I stayed in the hostel 4 nights in the end of January, and by the time the hostel was very quiet, which I really enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and helpfull too. Nevertheless I would like to suggest the instalation of a heating system inside the shared bathroom, since it was always freezing in there and the water on the lavabo was too cold.. but on the duche the water was nicely hot. :)

• 25th Jan 2015
  • Portugal

Location at first seemed difficult to find in the dark but in the end it was straightforward. Middle of winter so hostel empty. Showering arrangements (alternate hours for genders-) not made clear till I went to use them in the morning. Cxould have been awkward with a strict checkout time. Otherwise it was fine.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Scotland

The private room where we stayed was cold, the windows were dameged (some holes that contributed to the cold). The bathroom was even colder than the room, and the cistern took probably hours to refill, making it impossible to flush without waiting a lot of time. Last but not least, the bed sheets were full of hair from previous users.

Manager was more than helpful - great guy for the job

• 30th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Crystal was lovely :)

• 30th Dec 2014

The room was disgusting, dirty and extremely moldy. Wi-fi only works in the kitchen and some of the staff was not "in the mood"

• 29th Dec 2014

Beautiful hostel, close to Haymarket station. The rooms/dorms are painted from the outside, it's great to find some art in a hostel :) I had a whole dorm for myself, so slept wonderfully (beds are comfy). The toilets were ok, have seen a lot worse. One of my favourite hostels ever, and will definitely come back.

• 26th Dec 2014

Way too many beds in each room. The lockers are broken and cover the ladders of the bunk beds. It's absolutely freezing. Turn the heat on! Depressing atmosphere. Confusing that the showers are super nice but everything els is broken or dirty. Spread money around the whole hostel, not just the showers.

• 28th Nov 2014