Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Not enough showers on the basement floor for so many rooms

• Northern Ireland

We came as a large group and our only complaint was the wifi as it would go in and out. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay here! It was about a 15-20min walk from the city center which was perfect to get away from all of the hustle and bustle. Staff was very friendly and helpful! Showers were good. Only complaint was that there wasn't a shower curtain and your stuff would get wet in spots. Beds were very comfy!

• 5th Feb 2016

It was about 30 minute walk from the main hub of the town so it was quite the workout when we had all of our luggage. The showers weren't very clean. However, the beds were super comfortable, it was quiet enough during the night, and the atmosphere was great. The wifi was poor unless you went downstairs. Overall, it was a good hostel and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• 5th Feb 2016

Me and my friend had a wonderful time in Belfast hostel with the entire crew and guests. It is living like in a big flat sharing and although it was just for two days it felt like we know each other for longer time. Thank you!!

• 4th Feb 2016

Extremely helpful staff, comfortable bed, and a clean shared bathroom. The only disappointing factor was the WiFi signal.

• 3rd Feb 2016

Was a really nice hostel inside a church. Inside every room has been made about shop thematics , I'll explain myself: my experience was in the Golf Shop so outside was decorated as a golf shop and inside was decorated with golf pictures and golf sticks, really nice! Locks in the room, friendly people managing the hostel, warm place... Not too far walking to the center walking. Recommended!

• 30th Jan 2016
  • Spain

Good vibe. And quiet

WiFi only works in the common area not in your dorm. Too many 'don't do this signs'. Felt more like a classroom than a home away from home. Refund policy stinks. Paid for 8 nights and could only stay for 3. Will never book more than 2 nights at a time again. That's a lot to loose when you are travelling. No privacy sheets in bed. Hated that. Bunks are very small so no good for tall people.

We came across faulty pipe in our hostel

• 5th Jan 2016
  • Scotland

The hostel is located a 20min walk from main attractions and that is a down side. No one came to clean the dorm during my six day stay (never been to a hostel where no one at least uses a broom or a mop for such a long time). It was quite expensive for what you get but I guess Hogmanay is a sought after event and hence the price tag. I found surprising that the hostel does not organise activities because, according to the staff, the guests are never interested

Was at this hostel for Hogmanay and loved it! Staff were super friendly and helpful and really tried to make you feel at home. It's in an old church, which is so cool and it was really interesting to see how they incorporated elements of the original architecture into the hostel layout. Individual lockers and plugs and a big kitchen are always pluses for me! About a 15-20min walk to the main city, but easy, safe and pretty. I'd stay again for sure!

The rooms are too small and don't have sufficient lockers. The male showers are too small and don't have sufficient space for belongings (everything gets wet). Not enough toilets and showers and way too far from bedroom- for the amount of people the hostel can have, 4 toilets is nowhere near enough. Lacking facilities, would be better to be able to do own laundry rather than have someone else do it. About 30min walk from city centre, which is quite far.

• 30th Dec 2015

Had an amazing stay over Hogmanay. The set up if the church was very cool and functional. It had a great, friendly atmosphere and staff. Although it's not right in the city centre, it really is close enough to walk in.

Staff were very friendly & helpful! Hostel is clean and bathrooms were nice. A little more than a 5 min walk to princes st like it states in info.. Maybe about 15 mins but still fairly central! Little bit chilly - I'd suggest leaving the heater on for longer! Overall happy with our stay!

We had a nice stay at the Belford hostel over New Years. We felt safe and warm after long days of exploring. Showers and toilets were really great, some of the best we've had as far as hostels! The staff was really friendly and helpful! The Wifi is really iffy there, but we really have no complaints other than that. You should stay there... :)

The receptionist was phenomenal. Was helpful with everything, was personable, and downright awesome. Because of her great service we would come back again. We would suggest strengthening your wifi and turning on the heater a bit longer. It was a bit chilly but besides those things we would come back again.

Had a great time at the hostel. We were initially a little worried that it would be quite far from Prince's Street but it was totally walkable and took us about half an hour. The beds were comfortable and I liked that there was a common room at our disposal. Also appreciated that each bed had a power outlet. Only real complaint would be the wifi as it isn't available in the dorm rooms and often would stop working all together in the common room but that is probably due to the thick church walls!

We stayed in a private room for three nights and I have to say that the hostel in general was very clean, the staff was cleaning everything every now and again. The room was more than enough for us and even if the breakfast is not included in the price you can pay 1£ and they will give you toast, tea or coffe and juice. I would recommend it and I would go back to this hostel again.

• 12th Dec 2015
  • Spain

Its difficult to imagine living a cathedral that is now a hostel. I wish I was there longer. A full 10 on10 for this place, no complaints at all. At 10 pounds a night, I couldn't ask for a better price. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Thank you for a wonderful stay guys. :)

Cheeky woman on Reception on Sunday 13th December. I told her I paid a £5 deposit and she said "Doubt it". No call for such rudeness when I was genuine. The man that checked me in on Saturday 12th December was so helpful, polite and wished me a good stay. 100% rate for him.

• 12th Dec 2015