Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Location at first seemed difficult to find in the dark but in the end it was straightforward. Middle of winter so hostel empty. Showering arrangements (alternate hours for genders-) not made clear till I went to use them in the morning. Cxould have been awkward with a strict checkout time. Otherwise it was fine.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Scotland

The private room where we stayed was cold, the windows were dameged (some holes that contributed to the cold). The bathroom was even colder than the room, and the cistern took probably hours to refill, making it impossible to flush without waiting a lot of time. Last but not least, the bed sheets were full of hair from previous users.

Manager was more than helpful - great guy for the job

• 30th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Crystal was lovely :)

• 30th Dec 2014

The room was disgusting, dirty and extremely moldy. Wi-fi only works in the kitchen and some of the staff was not "in the mood"

• 29th Dec 2014

Beautiful hostel, close to Haymarket station. The rooms/dorms are painted from the outside, it's great to find some art in a hostel :) I had a whole dorm for myself, so slept wonderfully (beds are comfy). The toilets were ok, have seen a lot worse. One of my favourite hostels ever, and will definitely come back.

• 26th Dec 2014

Way too many beds in each room. The lockers are broken and cover the ladders of the bunk beds. It's absolutely freezing. Turn the heat on! Depressing atmosphere. Confusing that the showers are super nice but everything els is broken or dirty. Spread money around the whole hostel, not just the showers.

• 28th Nov 2014

The staff were super friendly! Showers were great, toilets clean, food prep areas were clean. We were there on football/rugby weekend but there wasnt much noise. Our only complaint was that all the other people that were there were unapproachable. But that's nothing to do with the hostel! We have already reccomended this place to friends.

• 14th Nov 2014

Cheap and the staff were nice, but I would not stay here again. I only booked one night and was glad to leave first thing in the morning. The rooms are small, cold, with the lockers in the hallway. The room I was in had no proper ventilation, and there was no way to open the window. I heard that some of the other rooms didn't even have a window!. This results in the whole hostel smelling like dirty laundry, toilets and cigarettes. There is a decent kitchen downstairs and the showers are fine.

This hostel is okay, its very inconveniently located from everything, its all the way on the edge of the new town so it takes like 30 minutes to walk to anywhere you want to go to. But apart from that its okay i suppose.

• 1st Nov 2014

Really friendly and helpful staff. Pretty quirky place to stay, was a bit worried about it being cold, but it wasn't an issue and I had a great sleep!

It is not so exciting inside the church, I hoped to see more than boxes. Due to the reason that the hostel was a church the toilets and showers can not be everywhere. Only a few places are possible, so you have to walk a little. We did not use the shower because they were not very pleasant but for this price that is ok. Another point is the location outside the centre, you have to walk around 15 minutes to the train station.

• 24th Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. Accommodations were good and you are provided with a large locker that can easily fit a large rucksack or medium suitcase. There is a bit of a walk to the centre but it is very easy to get to and there is ample public transport nearby. Corridors are cold but that's because it's a renovated church, so what do you expect? The rooms themselves are clean, well structured and warm. My only complaint is the showers don't stay on long enough

• 24th Oct 2014

Hostel very dirty. Clean only staff area. Bathroom old and dirty. Smell not good. Staff unfriendly. Atmosphere very bad. Very cold. Heat rooms from 7 am to 8 am. Don. T give any inform. Came very late, after midnight nowhere to change money but had to pay now. Everywhere( about 60 hostels in 32 countries) i went they asked me if i would like to pay now or tomorrow. Only this hostel in europe, we have to pay now. If no card we had to sleep ( with a 70 y. old lady) in the street. Very bad hostel.

It's a very bizzare place to sleep in. (not the staff or facilities, just the building itself). on the corner with THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE installation.

We had an issue with a group of 6 men in our room. They arrived at 3 am totally wasted. One was sick in the room the others was super noisy. I asked the guy at the reception to change room for a private room because they shouldn't accept poeple like this in the hostel and the only thing that he was able to do was to give us an other room (8 beds dorms). We didn't want to disturb other poeple, so we slept in the kitchen... But it's a nice place to stay although they should redo their conditions.

Organized inside an old church which makes it interesting but rather far away from the main attaractions area of the city.

Quaint design, plaster dorms inside a church is just adorable....will definitely return to again if i'm in the area. Could have done with free bowls of cereal (as opposed to £3.00 for hot food) but this is only a minor complaint.

• 11th Oct 2014

Fantastic Staff! Enjoyed my staff, will return :)

• 10th Oct 2014

Staff were brilliant at the hostel, really helpful and extremely kind to me and my group. Wifi was fast, toilets were clean, showers were clean and the kitchen area was spotless. If i was to be picky and even go to suggest any criticism is that I couldnt find any plug sockets in the room, but maybe I just didnt look properly hmmm

• 10th Oct 2014