Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Awesome hostel, and I love the fact that it is in a church! The staff was very extremely friendly, the best hostel I have been to in a looong time, maybe even ever. highly recommended!

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Finland

Staff were super friendly and accomodating but the hostel is a little rundown. It is unfortunate that wifi is only available in the lounge and not in the rooms.

Take me to the church ;-)

A great little gem hidden away from the hustle and bustle. Though it's a bit of a walk away from attractions or shopping, it did not ruin my stay. Facilities were tidy and welcoming. The themed rooms were a lovely, added touch. Staff were prompt and helpful, and certainly willing to go the extra mile with details on daily activities. Worth the money indeed. If I'm ever back, it will be to stay again.

Really enjoyed my stay here. Situated inside a beautiful old church, clean showers (men's are brand new), roomy common area, and comfy beds made this a pleasant place to rest. Staff was fun, friendly, but firm enough to keep guests from running rampant (much appreciated). It is about a half hour walk to get to the castle and pubs, but if this is too much, it's only about a £6 cab ride. I'll stay here again if I go back to Edinburgh

Great place to stay!

Cool setup in an a Church, Not too far from princes street if you are fine with a short walk. Walls are a bit thin can easily hear neighbors so if you want to go to bed early not the best place. new shower facilities are clean and decent. Plenty of power outlets in our room (3) basically two outlets to a bed!

in general the hostel was ok

• 10th Apr 2015

The Belford was truly wonderful! Everyone is welcoming there and it has a unique character that we found charming. It may be a little short on toilets, but I thought a bit of a wait was worth the experience. Loved it and would deff go back!

• 3rd Apr 2015

It was very cool to be in a converted church. I didn't realize that it would be as chilly as it was (the heating was confined to our rooms- which i was grateful for). The washrooms are really tiny, but the kitchen was more than spacious. There's a lovely walking trail 2 minutes from the hostel, it tuns along a river, I highly recommend that!

• 2nd Apr 2015

There were several receptionists and two of them were really rude and agressive, and not helpful ofcourse. Since they got their money, they did not care the "customer happiness" anymore. Even when i checked-out, the guy mocked of me and i had an argument just because i wanted to get my deposit in english pound as i gave them. Also the room was really cold, and i had to sleep with my coat by hoping that i can survive. So, if you have another chance, do not stay in this hostel.

I would like to apologize if you found that any of our staff being aggressive towards you. We don't tolerate that from our staff. With regards to the English pound I know that the deposit was given back to you in English pounds, but unfortunately we didn't have any to change the rest of your money. Being a business in Scotland means we don't carry a many of English notes. We are also sorry that you found it cold. If you had of let a member of staff know we could have resolved it. Safe travels.

My room was very clean and quite warm, and the wifi worked everywhere even in my room. They have a big kitchen and a nice common room. Bathroom and shower facilities can be improved. Staff not really friendly apart from the blond guy with bear who was super helpful, always nice and smiling. Overall for a few days this hostel is fine.

• 1st Apr 2015

The bathroom was great but a little bit too cold for my taste.

• 30th Mar 2015

Cursed be this place! How dare they gathering stinky heretic backpackers into this beautiful church? And how dare they running a bar in the crypt area? Where is respect for our dead? I already wrote to my friends at the Vatican and I can tell you this place will be shut unless blessed in the very next few days! Amen.

Thanks to your kind service. We can spend good days in Edinburgh. It was first time for us to stay in dormitories, there fore, we had little bit concern about safety and facility. However your accomodation was really conftable and enogh security to stay. Particually, I impress about atitude of hostel owner. There were really kind and friendly. Many thanks :) Ps, the door of the bath room was broken so I think it is better to fix!!!! And little bit cold in side of bathroom ,,,XD

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Japan

A beautiful hostel with old church architecture. Plenty of space for cooking. Staffs were helpful. Everyone has own locker with key, feel secure. A bit far fROM city centre but take only 20minutes walk to town, not too bad.

Located 15-20 mins walking distance to Haymarket train station. Bedrooms were clean and comfortable with lockers provided for each person. Bedroom walls are also paper thin so take ear plugs if you want a decent night sleep. Shower and bathroom facilities were very good, however they were located right on the bottom floor of the hostel, 3 floors below our bedroom. Overall, had a good stay at Belford.

Really nice place with a good vibe from all of the very friendly staff, but there wasn't much atmosphere however we only stayed overnight and it can take a few days to get into the swing of things in a hostel. Overall really nice place, good bar prices, good beds, good facilities!

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Northern Ireland
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Rooms were comfy and warm (with 4persons sleeping in and closed window maybe too warm - but hey. we're tall and able to open it.) The staff was very friendly and helpfull. Some greetings to the bearded guy and that girl from Australia. The bar and public room in the basement were very cool - even if the wifi was a little slow. The location is next to Dean Village, a very chilling and must-see place, but also not far away from the city centre. It only takes a short walk. Will visit again!

Not bad! The rooms were really small and tight though, and wifi only works in the common room. Had to go all the way to the basement to use showers. It was far from the city centre.