Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

I stayed at this hostel and really enjoyed it. There is a nice atmosphere in the hostel and lots of travelers. The tv room and kitchen makes it really easy to socialise. The kitchen is really well equipped for cooking. There is a range of dvds that can be watched for a deposit. I liked the uniqueness of the hostel and the art work. The beds were comfy. The staff were extremely helpful, called me a taxi, offered advice on sights/tours, very friendly and chatty. I will definitely come back.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

An absolutely wonderful place to stay, lovely staff who helped with hostel and city information - I would recommend this place to anyone (especially as it is a converted church).

I very much enjoyed my stay at Belford. Friendly staff with maps and lots of advice on what to do in the city. Clean rooms. A bit further out than some other hostels, but still only a 15-20 minute walk from the main part of the city. Room was relatively spacious and the walls had charming painted decorations throughout the hall. Not many people can say they've slept in an old converted church! Would stay again.

This hostel has a lot of style. It's a fantastic old church with some of the most amazing art work I've ever seen inside. The facilities were clean the bedrooms were great, a quiet relaxed hostel. All the staff were so welcoming to me, smiles all round and made me feel like I was at home. You could tell the manager has been living in Edinburgh for some time. She was able to give me step by step instructions on the best places to see in the quickest amount of time. Thankyou Scott.

The staff I dealt with were all really knowledgeable and friendly, and my bed was ridiculously comfortable. Having a locker big enough for my bag was nice, and the fact that there was no charge for it was even better. The kitchen was a good size, well equipped, and clean. Cheap prices at the onsite bar! The showers were the nicest I've ever seen in a hostel, and they have doors that lock and a place to hang all your things! I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Edinburgh.

Considering it's a hostel in a church it's not very nice to look at. I appreciated that there was a blow dryer to use and the showers were extremely clean. The woman at the desk was a bit mean but considering she was dealing with the rowdy rugby fans it's to be expected. Definitely not worth 25 pounds a night.

Unusual setting in a converted church although the original interior is largely lost due to the interior dormitory walls. Showers and toilets in different locations and showers were like something from a rugby pavilion, rough and ready. Dorms were fine and lockers provided, a nice touch which gives peace of mind. Kitchen was very open plan, good size, plenty of space. No television in the common area but does have wi-fi and there are mains sockets to re-charge your laptop. Beds were fine.

Located in a former church, the hostel is close enough to the city center. My room felt a little sad, lit by a single weak lightbulb. The water cooker was included, but due to the location of the plug had to stay on the floor. The desk was falling apart. The shared bathroom was actually well equipped and comfortably large, although it could be hard to get into in the mornings. On the whole, a good value for the money on a weekend when the city was full.

I liked the fact that the staff were from so many places. The main kitchen/common area was great, really spacious, good facilities and kitchen equipment, nice to have a bar and pool table as well. I don't think this can count as negative, because it's just the way things are nowadays, but at certain times in the morning and evening, the dining tables did seem to be quite a lot like an internet cafe people just plugged into their laptops the whole time.

• 28th Feb 2014

The staff was helpful and polite. The room was quite small, but clean, with free lockers and warm. The shower was downstairs, and we need to go a bit far from the room to use. They had free hair-drier and iron, it was really good. The commum area was big, good internet and the kitchen it was very nice as well.

• 27th Feb 2014

Some repairs required. Broken sink in male shower area for example. The facilities were OK for the number of people staying but I don't think I'd like to stay there if the place was full.

• 13th Feb 2014

Very nice hostel, great atmosphere, lovely staff!

• 12th Feb 2014

Staff where absolutely fantastic, extremely friendly, gave great advice about the local area! I had a great weekend, I will definilty be back! X

• 7th Feb 2014

-Walls are paper thin, so you can hear everything (people like to come in late at night screaming) -There are basically no outlets (2 per a 10 person room) -The beds are SO comfortable -It's great having personal lockers big enough for a bookbag! -kind of a walk from the hostel to all of the attractions - Can't really see the inside of the church because of the walls they've placed.

Absolutly loved the hostel! Just 15 min walk away from center, also bus stop is few seconds away! Stuff on reception was very helpful, we left luggage for free on 1st day, even got an free uprade on room. If I ever go back, deffinetly going there!

• 1st Feb 2014
  • Croatia

Great hostel! Recommended, ended up staying 3 extra nights

• 8th Jan 2014

Great help from reception staff and such a unique setting! Could have done with more plugs and mirrors in the room and better hot water facilities at peak times though!

• 30th Dec 2013

Shower water was cold, and the hostel itself was very cold too. Very expensive for the small rooms and bad breakfast. It can not be stated that its free breakfast when its only toast and cereal available. Guess it was high season, and staff was fairly helpful, but not the best stay.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Norway

Had an absolutely amazing time, thank so much!

The welcome by the staff was excellent! Friendly and inviting, that set the tone for our visit to Edinburgh. However, we felt that the doors could be locked from inside for better security. Breakfast provided could have been better.