Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Thanks a lot for that nice accomodation!

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Czech Republic

Coolest little hostel ever! Staff are so lovely and friendly, will definitely be coming back to stay!

• 18th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Super unique hostel. Even just worth staying there for that fact. It looks awesome inside and I did not expect them to be able to make that out of an ols church.

Perfect for what we needed, somewhere to lay our heads during the fringe festival.

• 16th Aug 2014

I would say it is an ok hostel but considering the price a good value for the money. Overall had a good stay but would say that toilets need some more attention.

It was surprisingly nice to have the hostel in a church, the room was nice with no spring mattress. There was a lot room in the common area with the bar and the pool, need to improve the choice of music though (but that is just my point of you)

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The dorms where quiet and spacious. It takes roughly 20 minutes to walk to the heart of the city but staff where really friendly and gave easy directions. I stayed there during the fringe so being a little further out was nice. I would recommend this hostel to anyone. Great value for money

• 13th Aug 2014
  • chrissteffe

A mistake not of my making caused me to pay a lot extra for my stay here upon my arrival and they were unsympathetic and uncompromising. I honestly felt this place was all about the money rather than ensuring guests felt welcome there. We also paid way to much for laundry that they even forgot about while I waited in the common room into the early hours only to be told sorry! We forgot to do your laundry. Not impressed with my lack of sleep that evening nor the overall lack of customer service.

The hostel is in a former church, which says much about it. There are some problems like no windows in some rooms, very low feeling of privacy, enormous space above you while you are in a small jam-packed box... However, the owner really tried to make it original and gave it character by filling the corridors with nice and funny professional paintings and everything was clean and comfortable enough... but still. Not my cup of tea.

Overall a great place. Located in an old church, it has a huge common area, kitchen, and outdoor seating area. The staff were very nice. Rooms have door locks and lockers. It is located a ways away from the center of town, but not that bad of walk along safe roads. Was a little pricey, but Edinburgh's fringe fest was taking place with tons of people everywhere - so I can understand demand.

We had a private room (7), located on the lowest floor in the hostel (church). Didn't have any discomfort from noises from the 'living room/kitchen). Room was very spacious and comfortable. Didn't expect that in a hostel! Bathroom was a bit smaller, but ok. The toilet took a very long time to refill after a flush and the dripping noise from the refill was a bit annoying. Best flush 30 minutes before going to sleep ;) Cool staircase paintings when going to our room! Good and friendly service!

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

Welcomed back to the best backpackers in Edinburgh with open arms, as expected!

It was really nice to stay in Belford Hostel. I was a bit surprised though, that people in the common dining area did not talk much to each other. Mostly people were engaged with their laptops or phones. This was a bit a pitty. I liked the big kitchen, where everybody cooked somehow together. Staff was really kind and helpful. Thanks for that.

Shower water was too hot.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Spain

Great hostel. Beds were comfy, rooms were clean, staff were great, only downfall was the boys showers being fairly dirty.

A lovely little Hostel in a renovated old church which added to the experience... location is quite far out of town but buses are regular and it means that noise isn't a problem! Staff and people we shared a room with were friendly and the facilities were generally clean and well maintained. I would stay again!

• 1st Aug 2014

The only negative is they need more toilet facilities I was always waiting everytime I had to go

• 29th Jul 2014

So cool, sleeping in a converted church! The private room was great, no noise from others or from outside. Perfectly close to the museum of modern art.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Couple, 41+

It's... Unique. Renovated from a church. Same group hostel as Edinburgh backpackers. Cheaper than there and not bad. A little bit far away but I prefer here. Large kitchen and they keep many free foods (oil, salt, tea, pasta or rice someone left etc. )

Lovely old church building and very comfortable beds. Helpful, friendly staff.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5