Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

The welcome by the staff was excellent! Friendly and inviting, that set the tone for our visit to Edinburgh. However, we felt that the doors could be locked from inside for better security. Breakfast provided could have been better.

The staff were very friendly. The stay was definitely worthwhile. The facilities good-enough and to top it all off great value for my money

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Kenya

The Belford was fantastic. I stayed in a private room (so I have no idea what dorms are like) but the room was fantastic value for what I paid. Basic single bed, good heater, room for a suitcase. The lovely Belford staff had left a little Christmas present for me (shortbread) and they put on an incredible Christmas feast cooked by the lovely Mash. Sherrelyn, Georgie, Heather and the others could not have been more welcoming. I really appreciated this, being away from my family at Christmas.

• 23rd Dec 2013

Great hostel. Friendly staff made the check-in quick and simple. Bathroom was excellent!

• 7th Dec 2013
  • Sweden

As this Hostel is in an old church the rooms are like wooden sheds in the big nave. They have "roof windows" but there is no fresh air! Generally it is really cold in the whole building (maybe this is in the nature of a church), but even the shower rooms are not heated. Everything is really old and it seems a long time has been passed without renovation. The kitchen is well equipped but everything is grubby. One night there was a hairdresser in the common rooms while we had dinner. Hygiene??

Rooms were surprisingly warm

I really fell in love with the atmosphere in this hostel! Crew was really nice and helpful, the location of the hostel is great (you can walk to the city center in 10min and pass wonderful Edi's streets). Also the architecture of the hostel is really amazing, I really like the idea of the hostel in and old cathedral. For that amount of money I am really satisfied and actually I'm planning my next visit in Edi and definitely will stay at this hostel!

• 29th Nov 2013
  • Poland

On the night that I stay, the hot water in the shower only lasted for 3 minutes and thereafter, there was no hot water. The heater did not work.

Our stay was ok overall but the biggest problem was the kitchen smell. It was hard for me to be in the common area due to this. Other than that everything was worth the money.

This hostel was just what I needed for the night. Good shower although would have been excellent if there was somewhere to store your clothes. Staff were great and helpful, the price was great and met some very lovely people. Thank you.

• 23rd Nov 2013

There was a big kitchen and common room which was really nice. However, it was very cold in the rooms and the hallways at night. The girls showers were located downstairs which was inconvenient. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Very nice place to stay, though it was a little loud from time to time. The Kitchen is fantastic, and was spotless - I've never seen anything like that at a hostel before. The staff are helpful, though once I was told contradictory things by different people. The kettle in the room was definitely a nice touch. The location is good; everything of interest is easily reachable on foot or by bus; supermarkets, restaurants etc. in the area. I'd go there again.

It was a coll little hostel. Very warm andd clean, but the bathrooms weren't good. The doors didnt lock properly on the toilets and the showers only lasted 2 secs before you had to press the button and there was no where to change or put yiur stuff which made showering difficult. But the staff wre fantastic and the beds were comfortable.

You get what you pay for. This hostel was fine but the layout of the hostel makes no sense. The bathrooms are very basic but fine. The dorm rooms are pretty squeezy. It was fine for a couple of days but I probably wouldn't want to stay much longer.

This hostel was so, so cold. The common area was always filled with people on their laptops, not easy to make new friends. Wifi doesn't work in the rooms. I felt like the lockers in the rooms could have easily been jimmied open.

Great hostel with lots of character, located near the Scottish art galleries in an up market area of Edinburgh.The staff were friendly & fun & the facilities were good.I would recommend this hostel.

Helpful reception team ...

Bit of a wait for bathroom that is all that let it down 😔

• 1st Nov 2013

It´s a simple hostel, but have interisting arquiteture and decoration. Very cheep, and you fell people in the rooms. The shower cold be better but worth stay there.

The hostel is located in an old church, very cool. The facilities are nothing too special. I think it's all pretty basic stuff, but when you pay only 10 a night, you can't expect luxury. It was what we were after, however is a little walk to get ot the main sights in town.