Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

We stayed for 2 nights in a private room. The hostel was secured with a code and our rooms were locked by key, for which you need to pay a 10 pounds deposit. The hostel was 15 minutes away from the city center if you took the tram. The staff at the reception were helpful and showed us our room, as well. The atmosphere of the hostel was kind of gloomy and it got really cold at night. Fortunately, we were allowed to use a heater free of charge. Our room and the bathroom were clean.

• 11th Jun 2014

If you don't like walking then this is not the hostel for you. Personally I like walking, especially round a beautiful city like Edinburgh, so this hostel was great. Wasn't left wanting anything.

• 11th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The best hostel we have ever stayed in , definitely the cleanest kitchen! Totally recommend! Thanks guys!

I LOVED this hostel!! The staff were absolutely incredible... they are honestly what makes this place so great. The atmosphere is top notch, we wished we could stay longer!

• 6th Jun 2014

Stayed in a private room, was great, clean and quiet. Good facilities and very friendly / helpful staff

• 5th Jun 2014

Nice and helpful staff, comfortable bed and room, clean shower rooms and toilets, good location!

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

Very nice hostel- good facilities, lots of communal space. Location is a bit far from the center of town (quite a hike from the bus station!) and it is a bit loud at night since there is a big empty space above the rooms for sound to echo in. Big lockers with keys come with the bed, and each bed has a reading light. Overall, one of my fav hostels so far this trip! Staff very friendly and helpful with suggestions on where to go. Thanks guys! :o)

Despite female showers cleanliness was good, the cleanliness of the room I stayed in was awful and the smeel even worse. For the price I payed, I felt the location not so good.

The hostel was damp and cold, it smelled mouldy.

Toilet rooms weren't great, but showers were really nice. I liked the decorations. People at reception were very friendly and helpful

Very nice kitchen and common areas

Very nice hostel! It gets a bit noisy during the night because it's a church and there's no outlets in the room. Showers are fine and they have a good common area with kitchen.

Very average showers, and the bar was not the best either. It was expensive for what it was as well.

• 24th May 2014
  • New Zealand

It´s in a church! Thats a nice thing because its easy to find. On the other hand its far from the citycentre.

Great location nothing to complain about apart from the bathrooms weren't very clean and there was only one power plug in the bedroom.

• 23rd May 2014
  • New Zealand

Good hostel - clean and lots of space. Inside of a church is pretty too. Private room shower has bad pressure and nobody told us we weren't allowed to drink alcohol inside so when we bought some it was confiscated!

• 21st May 2014

Great staff, amazing atmosphere. if I'll have the pleasure to come back in lovely Edinburgh i would love to sleep there again! me and my three friends rented a 4 room bedroom, clean, colorful, original rooms! clean showers with hot water, definitely: the price is up to expectations!!

The Belford Hostel has a definite novelty factor due to being in an old church building. Showers and overall cleanliness were fine, however more toilets would be a plus. The main issue was lack of ventilation: the rooms being small wooden boxes within the original stone building, this was basically equivalent to sleeping (or rather not getting any sleep!) in an oven. Even with the ceiling window open, this made little difference. As a result, I would not stay again, despite the amazing price.

• 19th May 2014

I was very reluctant to stay this hostel, considering the negative tone of a number of reviews. After having been at Belford four nights, I'd recommend anybody who complains to never travel anywhere more exotic than their own backyard. It's clean, the staff were generally kind and helpful, and large lockers are free the duration of your stay. My only two gripes are minor: noise at night can echo around something awful (earplugs are provided), and the showers aren't very private.

Bathrooms could be better. Great beds and lockers to be safe.

• 14th May 2014