Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Everything is there and it is a good value for money. The hostel just was not that clean and the air is a little musty.

The gap between the upper and lower bed is way to small. Toilets are not clean.

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Vietnam

Great hostel, only drawback being that it is a bit of a walk to shops and the main sights, but not enough to detract, and definitely worth it for the cost of dorm beds here. Highly recommend.

This hostel has everything you need and more! Close to whats happening, awsome staff with all the info, cosy rooms and living area, easy accessible wifi and awsome atmosphere. If you want a place in edinburgh this is it! No questions.

We are a couple round about 60 years old, and we found your Hostel very nice. We found the Hostel beautiful situated nearby green areas, a quiet place, and we could walk to the city center. WE definitely will recommend the Hostel.

• 28th Jun 2015
  • Denmark

Bit of a walk from the centre. Fantastic 2 bed dorm! Couldn't have asked for more, and in such a unique setting. You can look through the skylight up to the old church roof. The bar is always unmanned with no music, which is a shame because you could have such a great backpacker vibe there, seems like it's going to waste! Nice cheap breakfast & great staff.

The staff were nice and helpful,very welcoming and chill. The hostel definitely has a strong smell but you get used to it... it's a weird pungent synthetic sweet smell if I had to describe it. The showers are great. Don't be deterred by distance to the royal mile, it is not far at all, 10-15 minutes walking. I ended up extending my stay over a week. it is a comfortable place. I felt secure.

Most of the staff were trying hard but there was not a friendly atmosphere.,

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

The room was nice with a good amount of space and a convenient locker. The location was cool near Dean's Village but far from everything else. The common areas were nice and welcoming but people were not very social unfortunately as I was traveling alone. All in all, a decent place to stay if you're okay walking.

One lovely staff member (often on the front desk) but the rest were rude. Would have been a great place for a group of young travellers - quite well set up for that, but not quite us. Our room stank of B.O, there were dead flies and other debris on the floor, and the window didn't stay open unless you stuck a shoe or something in it.

the water in the toilet and basin flowed away very slowly

The free wifi is only available downstairs which was inconvenient. The shower stalls had you hang your dry clothing in the shower with you. My clean clothes were damp when I got out of the shower. The lockers were VERY difficult to open and close. I left my stuff unlocked most of the time because it was easier.

The Belford was a unique venue with a welcoming fun environment. We found our 4 twin bed room; clean, with soft beds soft however the space small. The gathering area was open and lively, the bar was a great addition and breakfast was a fair price at 1 euro. My wife and I were with our two young adult children, the experience was very much like "camping out" in a very cool location. We did have some a commotion at 3am very loud young ladies coming back from the night club.

• 20th Jun 2015

A very nice wee place, it's a bit out of the way but luckily I know Edinburgh well - for those who don't it's only a 5 minute walk from Haymarket Station. Staff were very nice, room was clean and bed was super comfy! Breakfast choice very limited, but that'd be the only real downside - I would stay here again.

Really the only downside is the location. The hostel itself is super cool, inside an old church and filled with murals. Staff are nice, kitchen is very large, lockers are free and big, beds are comfortable enough and the cheap breakfast is a nice plus. I would probably stay here again, I just wish it was closer to the center of the city.

safe and sound!

• 19th Jun 2015

atmosphere, location in a quiet part of town, but close to downtown, original decoration and building

beautiful hostel, abit far from the citycenter, but not to far. great staff and all of the above. a nice memory

After travelling Europe for weeks, this was by far the best hostel we stayed in. Very quirky and different that it is in a church. Much bigger than we expected.. 24 hour bar available as well as a kitchen to use. Breakfast (toast and jam or cereal) only £1 at the bar. Private room was lovely, very clean and very spacious. Shared bathrooms were immaculate and looked like they had just been refitted. Never saw anybody else using the bathroom facilities, always had them to ourselves.

• 18th Jun 2015

A really beautiful hostel as it's located in an old church. Staff was super nice and helpful. A bit of a walk to the main attractions but not too bad. Really nice place