Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

This is easily one of the best hostels I've been to. The staff were super nice, even when I arrived much later than predicted. The showers, bathrooms and kitchen were clean, despite the size of the hostel, which is a testament to the live-in staff. They really care about their home and the sense of community that brings is apparent. The architecture of the old church is cool, as are the murals inside the hostel walls. Close to food and bars, and walking distance to major attractions.

This is a unique hostel (built inside a church) in a pretty good location in Edinburgh. The rooms are a reasonable size and I found them warm and the beds comfortable. The hallways were very cold though as the ceilings in the church are so high and the communal areas was a bit cold. The hostel is a bit rough around the edges but overall I liked the style. The breakfast was lacking! The woman on reception on 15th November was exceptionally rude and unpleasant. I felt sorry for guests arriving!

In two months of travel, this was my favorite hostel. Clean, fantastic staff, fantastic atmosphere, bar (beer pong on Saturdays!), really unique, cool setup inside an old church, fun interior design, fully stocked kitchen, great location a twenty minute walk from Edinburgh Castle... just great. Loved this place. Made me want to work there.

Beds are too low and lockers are old and dingy what makes them hard to open and close, which is inconvenient when You have to do that while others roommates are sleeping.

• 12th Nov 2015
  • Poland

the rooms are in fact "built" inside a church, there is poor ventilation, it smells; you could hear everything that ppl in other "rooms" were saying; i have stayed in the hostel on 31 october and there was no heating, it was rather cold; there are 4 toilets for all the rooms; the toilets and showers are located at the end of the "corridors" and they were not cleaned during the day; the staff (especially a lady that is overweighted) was unfriendly and somehow rude; the rooms are small

The location wasn't ideal for someone wanting a weekend away close to or in the old city (30min walk, or £6 cab ride).I didn't get a locker as there were only 4 for a 5 bed dorm (2 bunks and 1 single squeezed in between the bunks).The showers were inconveniently down a few flights of stairs (and there was no hot water).Expecting a lively atmosphere being Halloween weekend, i did not get that. I think this is due to a lot of people being staff or students that are not there for a short fun stay.

• 30th Oct 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at Belford hostel. The whole idea of being in an old church building is really cool! When we arrived late at night they were waiting for us to do the check in, opened the bar for a beer and showed us everything. The rooms are clean, the only problem was that we stayed in a room without much ventilation, so it was kind of smelly (someone took their shooes off in the room). Toilets are also clean. Breakfast for 1£ is everything you need.

This place is fine for one or two nights. It is refubished church, which is a cool idea but the rooms are a bit makeshift and it is quite a noisy place. Staff were friendly and helpful and it is good value for money.

20-30 minute walk from the main hub, not too bad. 10 bed dorm is probably the most cramped dorm I have ever been in, so probably opt for the smaller options if you like space. If you want a more relaxed vibe then it's a good hostel to stay in. If you're looking for a vibe where people go out a lot, probably best to pick another hostel, because it can get quite dead. I really did enjoy my time here because the people I met, which were mostly staff or people living in the hostel, were wonderful!

My favorite part was the lockers in the rooms were big enough to fit my backpack and then some! Good location to get to Haymarket train station and quite a few food and pub options around there but it is about a 15 min walk to Princes Street. The showers were very new, private and clean. The only negative was the bunk beds were extremely loud, any movement causes a loud screech! Thank you!

It was very good, even though I stayed just 1 night, it is a good place and cheap. The staff was very kind and helpful and the bed comfortable, the eating area ver good organized and clean, clean bathrooms and good atmosphere.

• 28th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

Overall amazing experience! Had a ton of fun chatting with the bartender over breakfast one morning and everyone was just generally friendly. Really liked being in an old church, it was such a unique but fun environment!

• 27th Oct 2015

8 bed dorm was a tad cramped but the beds were comfortable. Kitchen and common was nice and big and was the only place the wifi worked

I had a great stay at the hostel. The shower were really good, the bathrooms were clean and the kitchen is very spacious. The hostel is an old church so it is really beautiful and the artwork inside is pretty cool too. The only problem with my stay (and it's a big one) was the receptionist who yelled at us for being to early, and later because we wanted her to help us divide the price for all of us (since I had already paid the booking) but she would only divide what was owned to the hostel.

• 26th Oct 2015

Rude and snarky manager / front desk, often making passive aggressive comments if I forgot something or needed assistance. Staff seemed way too large and usually just bumming around the common area talking loudly amongst themselves and being generally unfriendly to guests who weren't already in their circle. Weird rules like no bringing alcohol inside -- plenty of places disallow drinking on grounds and that's fine, but I had a £80 bottle of whisky in my bag, what was I gonna do, throw it out?

Good vibe and nice facilities. The staff seemed a bit "clique-ish," and the showers were really insufficient for the number of people staying there. The location wasn't ideal, either. All told, though, it was a decent value for the money.

The Belford hostel is one of the best hostel I've ever stayed. Atmosphere is so friendly, people are kind and helpful. Although reception is only until 3am and I was leaving at 4.30 the guy was waiting for my check out. About facilities.. Downstairs is a kitchen to share, I love the idea. Room with Tv, Wifi connection wasn't so good in my room but downstairs was brilliant, room was tidy and bathrooms as well.

• 24th Oct 2015
  • Czech Republic

The hostel is located a 30min walk from the new town and the old town is even further. Most people staying there seemed to be staff and they didn't bother socialising with others. The rooms are probably the tiniest I've ever seen.. 8 bed dorm so small I had to wait for people to leave the room to be able to open my suitcase. The male showers/toilets downstairs are new and clean so I`m guessing they're trying to improve but they're not there yet. Not enough warm water, so cold shower it was.

Staff was brilliant, really helpful. Nice showers and toilets, could be kept more clean tho. Could put hand wash for the sinks.Good security and lockers right next to the bed. Cramped up 10 beds in small room. The atmosphere was a little low, with everyone looking for a job more than enjoying the place itself. Can't blame the place for that. Things to improve on - better wifi network. (Not in the rooms only in the common area) Location a little outside the main area but that's the beauty.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • India

Great experience here. Very lovely staff, especially the lady helping me checkout. I overheard some people being very rude to her but she stayed composed and greeted each new person with a smile I really respected that. Clean rooms with heating. Very nice new showers. Big kitchen and lively common room with bar. No issues. I liked the walk into town but others may feel it's a bit far (20). But very close to Haymarket station easy for day trips. Wifi worked great in downstairs and OK in rooms.