Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

One of the best I've everc stayed in

• 4th Aug 2015

The coolest hostel I have ever stayed in. Location is fantastic, very close to the city centre. It was a great value for money. The interior looks amazing. The fact that it is inside a church adds the special factor into it.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • Slovakia

+ 1 pound breakfast - the wifi connection was just working properly in the common hall; in our (private) room, the signal was too weak

• 2nd Aug 2015
  • Austria

We liked our stay at Belfort Hostel. We stayed here the first and the last days of our trip. When coming back, it almost felt like coming home. The common room is very big and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a bit dark (because it's in a church) but OK. During the festival the prices were also cheaper than in other places. So recommendable!

• 1st Aug 2015

Staff were amazing. Drinks from the bar and breakfast were cheap. Location was good to explore that part of Town but if you want to explore Old Town I would suggest staying closer to Royal mile. Location of bathrooms were a bit annoying.

• 1st Aug 2015

Hostel very well located, close to the city center. Showers and kitchen very clean (the first time I stay in a hostel so clean!). Lockers available for each bed. Staff very nice. Basic breakfast for £1 only. I'm just a little bit disapointed by the architecture. I was curious about a church refurbished in a hostel but inside the building you can't appreciate the architecture. The rooms are just boxes without windows if you are in the middle of the church (not for claustrophobic people!).

• 26th Jul 2015

Staying there was AMAZING! The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. We enjoyed every second staying there - having a full running kitchen, so you can cook your own food and store in the fridge was also great. The common area is where you get wifi, but it's a nice place to hangout. It's not too far from the city, maybe 7-10 minute walk. We would easily stay again if in Edinburgh and completely recommend it. Also, it's clean!

Not many toilets.

• 25th Jul 2015

We found, to our surprise, that no wifi is available in the rooms. The wifi is only available in the common room. The other thing is that laundry is available, but the staff do it for you for £4 per load.

• 25th Jul 2015

Thank you for your feedback. The reason we do not have wifi in the rooms is due to the noise that guests were making whilst watching movies and skyping at all hours of the night. As there were so many complaints from other guests about the noise, we decided that our large and comfy common room was the best place for it! Happy travels!

Actually i liked the place was good enough and the atmosphere in the kitchen and the common room .. the bed was comfy and Toilets was very clean, I Also liked the building the old church .. in Generally i enjoyed my 2 nights there.

The bed was clean, but the room was a little bit dirty and the toilet more than the bedroom. But for only one night it hasn't been so difficult to stay there. Nice staff and good prices if you want to go to Edimburgh. The hostel it is only 20 minutes in foot by the city centre,

• 25th Jul 2015

This was my first time staying in a hostel, and I think that the Belford is a great example. The pricing was fair, and the staff was incredibly friendly. The two I interacted with both cared a lot about the guests and wanted to help. The bar in the basement was fun and a great place to hang out and meet other travelers. Lockers were free and security seemed good. Really there were only two downsides. First, the location. Second, the thin walls. But that is to be expected. Great first time hostel

• 24th Jul 2015

Overall, not a bad hostel at all. Nice staff, good atmosphere, clean, and it's cool that it's inside an old church. The only thing is that this place is QUITE far from the Royal mile (the main downtown area for Edinburgh).

Amaizing place where you can feel like to be at home,)

Had an EN-Suite room, quite moldy, Bathroom not really seperated from the room.

• 19th Jul 2015

The staff were what made this hostel the wonder that it is! Absolutely friendly and smiling faces welcomed us at the Belford Hostel. The beds were fine, nothing special but somewhere to lay your head and get a good nights sleep. The common room/kitchen was huge and a big plus for travellers like us and they even did our washing for £4. Do yourself a favour and stay here for the atmosphere :)

The hostel had lockers in the room with locks (no charge), which was great! It was a fifteen minute walk from city center, but the walk was nice and showed you a different part of Edinburgh. The facilities were nice and clean!

Location was amazing and the staff were friendly enough. Two complaints/constructive criticism... 1. When my friend and I arrived it was raining and cold. We waited outside for a good 15 minutes at the door, even though there were two staff members walking around inside who saw us after we rang the bell. They just had to finish up with some things before letting us in. Probably could prioritize letting your guests inside from the rain. 2. The 2nd night my sheet smelled

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry it was raining the day your arrived, and you couldn't get in quick enough. As for the sheet smelling on your second day, we do have beautiful new showers for all quests to use!

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The dorm was okay and there was a locker with a key for everyone. I really liked the common room and the big kitchen, there was also a TV room. The bathroom seemed it had been recently renovated (very good showers!). The hostel is a bit far from the town centre (~30 min on foot), but the area is very peaceful; close to the hostel there's also a nice little river with a walking path beside it . I'd definitely visit this hostel again.

Pretty good value for money. The 4 bed dorm was quite comfortable.