Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

I wouldn't go back to this hostel. First, you don't even realise you are in a church, since they refurnited everything in a way to hide the that you are in a church. But since it still is a church the dorms have only windows to the hallway which means that you hear even the guy across the hall snoring or the drunken girl getting back at 4am. Showers were disguting plastic boxes which were really not clean. And well, the location doesn't make up to all this.

Thanks for your comment. The vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows are original features, as are the columns and marble slabs, and are visible throughout the dorm area. I'm sorry this didn't meet with your expectations, and that you did not enjoy our new female showers. At least you enjoyed the location! Hope you had a good time in Edinburgh! Happy travels!

Lovely folks, fine rooms and a spacious kitchen all in this amazing building (you can definitely see it used to be a church).

• 18th Aug 2014

Not enough toilets, too much noise, could hear everyone from other rooms.

The rooms came with lockers, smelt clean, well ventilated and so did the bedding. The location was great - a nice short walk from the town centre on the main roads so as 2 girls we felt totally safe going back at night. There were enough showers and we were able to get straight in or only have to wait a couple of minutes. They were clean and modern. Friendly with good cooking facilities including an oven(!!!) and good utensil variety. Always enough bowls&cups etc. Beautiful stainglass windows

Thanks a lot for that nice accomodation!

• Czech Republic

Coolest little hostel ever! Staff are so lovely and friendly, will definitely be coming back to stay!

• New Zealand

Super unique hostel. Even just worth staying there for that fact. It looks awesome inside and I did not expect them to be able to make that out of an ols church.

Amazing and friendly staff.

• 16th Aug 2014

Perfect for what we needed, somewhere to lay our heads during the fringe festival.

• 16th Aug 2014

The hostel was very crowded, I had to put my luggage in my bed because there was no space left in the room! I dont know if it is always like that or if they added beds in the rooms during the festival to make extra money...Otherwise, nice common room, it is funny to sleep in a church, but clearly not enough facilities for everybody. Fair location and nice staff.

Even though the hostel is relatively clean, the facilities it offers are below what I expected for the price I paid. The (male) showers can be found in a damp basement, where you can almost taste the moisture when breathing. The beds are squeaky and the doors noisy, making for a very bad night rest. "Have you ever wanted to sleep in a church?" is the first question you get, and my answer is "not in yours". For an example of a good Church-based hostel, check out Backpackers Plus in Oban.

• 15th Aug 2014

The westend is about half an hour from the royal mile, it's quiet and feels safe walking home in the early hours of the morning. The staff were nice enough and mostly helpful, beds are comfy, the dorms are dorms, the showers do run out of hot water, so get up and go! I was there for the festival so I was staying much longer than most of the other guests, made it a little tricky to meet other solo travellers as most others were just moving through. Belford is nothing special, but it's good value.

I would say it is an ok hostel but considering the price a good value for the money. Overall had a good stay but would say that toilets need some more attention.

It was surprisingly nice to have the hostel in a church, the room was nice with no spring mattress. There was a lot room in the common area with the bar and the pool, need to improve the choice of music though (but that is just my point of you)

The hostel is a bit removed from the city center (about a 20 min walk to Princes Street; 30 minutes to the castle/ Royal Mile), but staff is helpful. Being a converted church, it's pretty unique and lends itself to a memorable experience. The bar was a great place to meet people, also!

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The dorms where quiet and spacious. It takes roughly 20 minutes to walk to the heart of the city but staff where really friendly and gave easy directions. I stayed there during the fringe so being a little further out was nice. I would recommend this hostel to anyone. Great value for money

It was a long walk from anything. The walls were paper thin and it made sleeping hard, and the doors to the doors slammed loudly, no matter how gently you tried. The staff member that checked me in was sarcastic and berating.

A mistake not of my making caused me to pay a lot extra for my stay here upon my arrival and they were unsympathetic and uncompromising. I honestly felt this place was all about the money rather than ensuring guests felt welcome there. We also paid way to much for laundry that they even forgot about while I waited in the common room into the early hours only to be told sorry! We forgot to do your laundry. Not impressed with my lack of sleep that evening nor the overall lack of customer service.

Thank you for your comments. All bookings made on Hostelworld.com are automatically processed, so the onus is on the customer to ensure that the correct booking has been made. Any errors can then be rectified. The extra charge incurred was for the person who did not have a booking. With regards to your laundry, it costs £4 per load, and is done for you. I'm sorry you think that that is way too much. I hope you enjoyed Edinburgh, regardless of these issues! Happy travels!

The hostel is in a former church, which says much about it. There are some problems like no windows in some rooms, very low feeling of privacy, enormous space above you while you are in a small jam-packed box... However, the owner really tried to make it original and gave it character by filling the corridors with nice and funny professional paintings and everything was clean and comfortable enough... but still. Not my cup of tea.

Overall a great place. Located in an old church, it has a huge common area, kitchen, and outdoor seating area. The staff were very nice. Rooms have door locks and lockers. It is located a ways away from the center of town, but not that bad of walk along safe roads. Was a little pricey, but Edinburgh's fringe fest was taking place with tons of people everywhere - so I can understand demand.