Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Staff was brilliant, really helpful. Nice showers and toilets, could be kept more clean tho. Could put hand wash for the sinks.Good security and lockers right next to the bed. Cramped up 10 beds in small room. The atmosphere was a little low, with everyone looking for a job more than enjoying the place itself. Can't blame the place for that. Things to improve on - better wifi network. (Not in the rooms only in the common area) Location a little outside the main area but that's the beauty.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • India

Great experience here. Very lovely staff, especially the lady helping me checkout. I overheard some people being very rude to her but she stayed composed and greeted each new person with a smile I really respected that. Clean rooms with heating. Very nice new showers. Big kitchen and lively common room with bar. No issues. I liked the walk into town but others may feel it's a bit far (20). But very close to Haymarket station easy for day trips. Wifi worked great in downstairs and OK in rooms.

Good value for money.

• 21st Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

They lack clean inside the showers.

This hostel was fine except for one thing which gave the whole experience a sour taste; we attempted to check out at 7:30am and received a massive guilt trip from a member of staff because it turns out reception only opens at 8am ('there are signs everywhere' apparently, except that there aren't). Although we apologised and said we'd return at 8, she did her absolute best to make us feel like truly awful people, a really commendable effort in fact since it successfully ruined our morning.

I stayed two nights, it was very good. people are really friendly, clean, enough space in the rooms. if you want to go to the royal mile then you have to walk around 10 - 15 minutes but it was great. all things what you need is close enough. ....

• 17th Oct 2015

Great hostel! No complains at all.

• 17th Oct 2015
  • Spain

Great staff, very friendly and welcoming! Had everything I needed for my stay - full kitchen and great bathrooms, locker and good common area. Was slightly cold but once the heating started up it was fine. Walkable to town/sights but I wouldn't say it was that central, I didn't mind nonetheless. A great stay

The wi-fi sometimes cut off without warning.

Outstanding showers, great vibe, Good kitchen Dorms do not have enough space or air Sheets are dark blue as are pillow cases I wold prefer white so you can see Clean.

The staff were friendly and the set up was cute, however the toilets were rather small and there were only two in the entire hostel for ladies to use. Also I think it could really do with a bit of freshening up.

• 9th Oct 2015

Hostel was comfortable and each bed comes with a socket to charge your devices. The only downside is that the wifi is only strong if you are in the Recreation Room. We couldn't get wifi from our rooms. Still, it was an interesting hostel, since it was a church that was converted to a hostel.

Great bang for your buck. The staff was very friendly and the facilities were nice. Old converted church which adds a nice touch did limit the range of the wifi which means most of your time will be spend in the common area. Common area has lots of room to do work and feel very safe. Also the personal lockers in the rooms is a good touch to alleviate any security concerns. When we were there most people stuck to themselves but that may change in peak season. I would recommend this hostel

NIce, clean private room. Great price!

Very nice hostel. Well located and not expensive. Bedroom and bathrooms are very nice. Kitchen was very handy and the staff was very nice. Only downside but that don't takes away the credit of the hostel is that wifi don't work on bedrooms and sometimes it dint work at all.

The room was a bit cold, but that's the nature of being in an old church, I'm sure. I loved staying there, though, and was psyched to find a TV and kettle in my room! Completely unexpected. I've already recommended your hostel to a friend. Staff were friendly and helpful. They responded right away when I mentioned there was no hand soap in the bathroom. Thanks for a great few days!

Wifi only in the common area which is not ideal on nights when people are partying heavily. The location is not ideal. There were a lot of people living at the hostel and not all of them are young so the vibe is strange.

Great hostel! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The place was clean and had a great atmosphere. The only down side is that because they have a bar you can't bring your own alcohol on the property.

Really enjoyed my stay. Beds are super comfortable and showers were awesome. Thanks to the staff for being so friendly.

• 23rd Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Very kind and helpful staff and great location! And a very nice setting. Edinburgh and its people are amazing!