Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

The hostel had lockers in the room with locks (no charge), which was great! It was a fifteen minute walk from city center, but the walk was nice and showed you a different part of Edinburgh. The facilities were nice and clean!

Location was amazing and the staff were friendly enough. Two complaints/constructive criticism... 1. When my friend and I arrived it was raining and cold. We waited outside for a good 15 minutes at the door, even though there were two staff members walking around inside who saw us after we rang the bell. They just had to finish up with some things before letting us in. Probably could prioritize letting your guests inside from the rain. 2. The 2nd night my sheet smelled

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry it was raining the day your arrived, and you couldn't get in quick enough. As for the sheet smelling on your second day, we do have beautiful new showers for all quests to use!

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The dorm was okay and there was a locker with a key for everyone. I really liked the common room and the big kitchen, there was also a TV room. The bathroom seemed it had been recently renovated (very good showers!). The hostel is a bit far from the town centre (~30 min on foot), but the area is very peaceful; close to the hostel there's also a nice little river with a walking path beside it . I'd definitely visit this hostel again.

Pretty good value for money. The 4 bed dorm was quite comfortable.

Amazing place! Great location! Great staff! Great rooms and great toilets! The staff were the best. The main guy working helped us out, gave us ideas of what to do and where to go. And he was 100% customer service oriented!!! Best reception we have experience our whole trip to Europe. This hostel needs to give that guy a raise!!!!

This was my first ever stay in a hostel, and it blew my expectations out of the water. The hostel is located slightly out of the city center, but it is a good walk, very safe. The actual hostel itself is in an old gothic styled cathedral! Security is good, you have to know the PIN to get in the door, and then Reception is right there to greet you. Everything was very clean. The rooms had their own lockers, I didn't expect that! Overall an amazing weekend in Edinburgh thanks to Belford Hostel!

• 10th Jul 2015

Great hostel, showers are some of the best I've seen, and bonus points for having seperate ones for guys and girls! Staff were very helpful, lockers were big, and communal area was nice and inviting. Cheers Belford!

Staff was great couldn't ask for a better stay!

I like you guys

• 8th Jul 2015

A very good hostel! They have the best shower facilities! Beds are comfortable, rooms are quite big. Big and clean kitchen. I mean everything is so good! If I have to be picky...well it's too quiet in the room that my ears hurt :))))

I've stayed in Edinburgh hostels that are better and have a much better location (for being a tourist and seeing the sights) and are very similar in price. The interior design was one of my favourite things about this place. More attention to cleanliness would be nice (there was chewing gum stuck to the wall near my bed). Showers were really nice. Wifi only in common areas. My locker was at the other end of the hostel from my bed but at least it was big. The manager was the nicest staff member.

I had a pleasant stay because of the people I met there. Great vibes! The toilet was super clean! Nevermind sharing it because the staffs keep it clean. I suggest the hostel to stock up a little on oil, sugar and basic seasonings for those cooking because we probably won't have those as we are backpacking. *wink Overall it was wonderful. High praises for the staffs, friendly and helpful. :) Will stay again if I come back.

Everything is there and it is a good value for money. The hostel just was not that clean and the air is a little musty.

The gap between the upper and lower bed is way to small. Toilets are not clean.

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Vietnam

Great hostel, only drawback being that it is a bit of a walk to shops and the main sights, but not enough to detract, and definitely worth it for the cost of dorm beds here. Highly recommend.

This hostel has everything you need and more! Close to whats happening, awsome staff with all the info, cosy rooms and living area, easy accessible wifi and awsome atmosphere. If you want a place in edinburgh this is it! No questions.

We are a couple round about 60 years old, and we found your Hostel very nice. We found the Hostel beautiful situated nearby green areas, a quiet place, and we could walk to the city center. WE definitely will recommend the Hostel.

• 28th Jun 2015
  • Denmark

Bit of a walk from the centre. Fantastic 2 bed dorm! Couldn't have asked for more, and in such a unique setting. You can look through the skylight up to the old church roof. The bar is always unmanned with no music, which is a shame because you could have such a great backpacker vibe there, seems like it's going to waste! Nice cheap breakfast & great staff.

The staff were nice and helpful,very welcoming and chill. The hostel definitely has a strong smell but you get used to it... it's a weird pungent synthetic sweet smell if I had to describe it. The showers are great. Don't be deterred by distance to the royal mile, it is not far at all, 10-15 minutes walking. I ended up extending my stay over a week. it is a comfortable place. I felt secure.

Most of the staff were trying hard but there was not a friendly atmosphere.,

• 27th Jun 2015