Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The place was clean and had a great atmosphere. The only down side is that because they have a bar you can't bring your own alcohol on the property.

Really enjoyed my stay. Beds are super comfortable and showers were awesome. Thanks to the staff for being so friendly.

• 23rd Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Very kind and helpful staff and great location! And a very nice setting. Edinburgh and its people are amazing!

Good sized Kitchen. Good showers and bathrooms, however had continus issues with clogged drains in the basins.

This isn't the best hostel around, but it is very good value for money. We'd stay again. It would be better perhaps if corridor lights were dimmed and people encouraged not to mill about there after a certain time. We went out on Saturday and made sure to be quiet after getting back, but on Saturday and Sunday, my friend (on the top bunk) could see bright light outside all night, and we heard people having loud phone conversations in the hall at 4/5am, stomping around, slamming doors.

• 19th Sep 2015

This was a great hostel! You have great staff, a great vibe, it's clean, and most of all it's a safe place with large lockers and solid bag check service. The other reviews say it's far and it's really not that far from the city center. I didn't find the walk bad at all. Finally, it's a cool place to stay because it's in an old church complete with stain glass windows and spiral staircases with old wooden doors and a huge common area. I highly recommend. Had a blast and made some friends.

Super cute place! The beds were hella comfy and the cheap beer prices were much appreciated. Bathrooms and showers were a bit dingy but other than that I would definitely recommend Belford!

• 17th Sep 2015
  • abour908

Great hostel!

I liked this hostel. The recepcionist is so friendly!

Fairly ducent hostel for the price you pay. The rooms were clean, the staff were friendly and there was a big common room and kitchen. However, I don't think I would want to stay there long term. The rooms were so tiny! There was not enough space for me to pack my bag if somebody else was in the room. It was fine for one night, but any more and the size of the rooms Would have got to me.

Wifi OK, location OK. Loved the common room, the staff was great (Dylan, Matiash, the cleaning staff, and the lady who checked us in, all amazing). Bathrooms were not very clean and most of the time clogged. Since they have a "don't bring alcohol" restriction, people drink in the rooms and that can be annoying late at night (unless you're the one drinking). Would come back!!

Wow, it was really cool to sleep inside of an old church. I likes the staff and the hostel in general. I disliked that i had to pay 1 Pound for leaving my bagpack 3 hours after check-out in the hostel. I only knew hostels before where it was posible to leave the luggage for free until i quit the city...

• 11th Sep 2015

Interesting hostel concept, converting old church into accommodation. Never thought i will actually sleep in a 'church'. Cool atmosphere, friendly staff and big kitchen for everyone. Very nice bathroom!! Its a good walk from hostel to centre/vice versa but Edinburgh is a hilly city anyway..

I really enjoyed my time in this hostel. Every room has its own theme and it's built inside of an old church. It's got a really cool grunge vibe to it. The showers located downstairs were really impressive. You can tell that they have put a good amount of money into renovating so that their guests feel comfortable. Located down the hall from the showers is the kitchen/lounge/24 hr bar. The hostel is about a 15 min walk from the city center and it's easy to get there without a GPS.

Toilets are pretty far away but all else are good. Bad sides can be offset by it's particular good sides like its security, and the fact that it's a converted church, kind of special

The charm of staying in an old church is diminished a lot by the garish paintings on the dorm walls, which clash with and detract from the original decor. I slept very badly because there is a door in the corridor that creaks and slams all night - all they would have to do to fix it would be to put a door-stopper under the door. The woman who checked me out was very rude for no good reason. In a town with many hostels these little things are enough reason for me to decide not to return.

The few people I talked with in Scotland about this hostel hated it, but I was personally pleased. Being inside an old chruch, and having skylights from the rooms looking up toward the larger church ceiling was a considerable novelty. It has the largest kitchen of any hostel I've been to. 4 stars

It was an okay place, not the best or the worst. Being in an old church was cool but it echoes a ton when people are coming and going late at night. Reason is since it is basically a bunch of cubicles of dorms built in the sanctuary, so echoes are understandably going to happen. Real nice showers, bathrooms and kitchen with ovens. Wifi was a bit spotty. Weren't too stoked about me having a bmx bike, but they were kind enough to let me lock it up near the storage area up the stairs.

Disappointed that the private room that I had booked for self and a female friend was so cramped -the beds were nearly beside each other and there was no sink in the r we had to move one day after being booked in as staff said that they needed the room for someone in a wheelchair. This move was very inconvenient as we were going out to a conference in the morning and due to the length it took to pack up belonging had to book a taxi to get to the conference

• 6th Sep 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Staff need to be a little more welcoming