Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

The free wifi is only available downstairs which was inconvenient. The shower stalls had you hang your dry clothing in the shower with you. My clean clothes were damp when I got out of the shower. The lockers were VERY difficult to open and close. I left my stuff unlocked most of the time because it was easier.

The Belford was a unique venue with a welcoming fun environment. We found our 4 twin bed room; clean, with soft beds soft however the space small. The gathering area was open and lively, the bar was a great addition and breakfast was a fair price at 1 euro. My wife and I were with our two young adult children, the experience was very much like "camping out" in a very cool location. We did have some a commotion at 3am very loud young ladies coming back from the night club.

• 20th Jun 2015

A very nice wee place, it's a bit out of the way but luckily I know Edinburgh well - for those who don't it's only a 5 minute walk from Haymarket Station. Staff were very nice, room was clean and bed was super comfy! Breakfast choice very limited, but that'd be the only real downside - I would stay here again.

Really the only downside is the location. The hostel itself is super cool, inside an old church and filled with murals. Staff are nice, kitchen is very large, lockers are free and big, beds are comfortable enough and the cheap breakfast is a nice plus. I would probably stay here again, I just wish it was closer to the center of the city.

safe and sound!

atmosphere, location in a quiet part of town, but close to downtown, original decoration and building

beautiful hostel, abit far from the citycenter, but not to far. great staff and all of the above. a nice memory

After travelling Europe for weeks, this was by far the best hostel we stayed in. Very quirky and different that it is in a church. Much bigger than we expected.. 24 hour bar available as well as a kitchen to use. Breakfast (toast and jam or cereal) only £1 at the bar. Private room was lovely, very clean and very spacious. Shared bathrooms were immaculate and looked like they had just been refitted. Never saw anybody else using the bathroom facilities, always had them to ourselves.

• 18th Jun 2015

A really beautiful hostel as it's located in an old church. Staff was super nice and helpful. A bit of a walk to the main attractions but not too bad. Really nice place

Nice staff and fantastic atmosphere.

I really enjoy my stay at Belfort. Location is not perfect but you can go walking to everywhere in Edinbrugh. Bathroom was clean enough every time I needed. Corridors and rooms had particular smell (not very good) what is acceptable due to number of people, different cultures and closed place. Very good for the price paid and excellent staff and security. Free and good locker. I recommend.

Definitely I'll come again

• 13th Jun 2015
  • Romania

My friends and I had a great stay at Belford Hostel! There is a friendly atmosphere created by the huge common dining room where everybody eats and you end up forming groups and playing games together or chatting. There is a huge kitchen which was really awesome! You have to walk for ten to fifteen minutes to get to Princes Street and the central area but it is a safe walk, even at night. The staff are easygoing, friendly and fun. Highly recommended!

The hostel is in a good position and it is always clean. The kitchen is very useful and there's everything you need. The rooms are very clean and there are lockers. The staff is lovely and very helpful.

• 7th Jun 2015

All staff were friendly and helpful. Stayed in a private room which was clean and had comfy beds. All bathrooms were nice and clean too.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

This hostel is close to the Leith Walk which is very nice but is not very central to the rest of Edinburgh. Didn't have much atmosphere but was a fine stay

Wifi a bit slow. Rest are all good.

Stayed 4 nights at the hostel. Location is excellent and the city centre is only a 10 minute walk away. The facilities impressed, mainly the common room/kitchen and the men's shower room. The staff were particularly friendly and I would like to mention the three Australian guys Kerry, Henry and Trent who saw to all our needs and provided welcome company above all. I would recommend the hostel to anyone seeking stay in Edinburgh and I would definitely stay again.

• 5th Jun 2015

I liked waking up with the sun shining through the stained glass. The male and female shower rooms are seperate, but you have to change in front of other people (during rush hours) cause the showers are too small. I showered around 7/8am and I had the bathroom all for myself.

Super nice staff. Great vibes. Bar is a little lame (they only have cheap alcohol like Smirnoff and captain Morgan) but the bartender is very nice. Funky building that is very cool. You can only get wifi in the lobby unfortunately. Overall a good hostel.