Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

I was very reluctant to stay this hostel, considering the negative tone of a number of reviews. After having been at Belford four nights, I'd recommend anybody who complains to never travel anywhere more exotic than their own backyard. It's clean, the staff were generally kind and helpful, and large lockers are free the duration of your stay. My only two gripes are minor: noise at night can echo around something awful (earplugs are provided), and the showers aren't very private.

Bathrooms could be better. Great beds and lockers to be safe.

• 14th May 2014

Loved how the hostel was in a church. I think the activity room/kitchen could be a bit more updated or just redecorated and repainted. It was a bit far away from downtown but the walk was enjoyable and safe. The staff was great! I had a slight issue during my stay, however the receptionist on duty was able to solve the issue quickly. Thank you!

• 14th May 2014

Had mixed experiences with the staff. One receptionist was incredibly friendly, the other not so much.

need lockers that work! and i didn't like the early check out process. having to provide your credit card number on a piece on paper isn't very secure.

I loved this place. The idea of staying in an old church is so novel and it lived up to expectations. The assistant manager was kind and put up with my questions. This might be the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

nice staff, nice athmosphere, but not very clean. small rooms.

I hated the bathrooms and the toilette. My locker didn't work and the staff didn't care. The place smells humid and dirty.

The architecture of the hostel is really nice, with the paintings and the church style but inside it's not very well organised. For the girls you must go downstairs to get to the shower, (near the kitchen). There are no changing rooms for the girls. The toilet and shower are dirty and it's quite cold in the bathroom as it's an old building. Nevertheless the common room is nice and even if the location is not very central, Dean Village is very beautiful and it's near the Haymarket train station

The Hostel is located in a very nice area. Dean Village. The coffe shop just close to it serve very good coffes and fresh homemade food. We quite liked to stay in Belford Hostel. We were a bit worried when we booked because of the very cheap price, but everything was quite clean and the atmosphere quite interesting. Strange smells in toilets and kitchen but I cannot say the hostel was dirty. The room was a bit cold but clean. People works in are very helpfull with everything.

• 3rd May 2014

We liked this hostel very much. The atmosphere in the sanctuary part was cool with the ceiling, stained glass and murals. Room was convenient with adequate # of bathrooms available. Staff very friendly and helpful. The kitchen facilities were not wonderful - one sink was not operable; dish towels were old, grubby, stained; insufficient dishes and food storage for size of hostel. Need to clarify about garbage and recycling and have instructions in more than one language. Quiet, casual.

the girl at the reception had very bad mode with us. the hostel was really stinky bad odor everywhere. toilet doesn't work.

• 28th Apr 2014

Bus station near there works limited. Hostel is near the small river and park. The hostel is very nice, especially the staffs. Will stay there when I come to Edinburgh next time.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Vietnam

Great value for money for a private single room.

• 22nd Apr 2014

We stayed in a private room and it was lovely and quiet. Toilet area was very clean and shower was private. Would stay again

• 19th Apr 2014

Overall exp was nice

• 18th Apr 2014
  • India

The hostel was fully booked when I stayed there over Easter, so you cannot expect everything to be clean and spotless. Yes, the rooms are very small and it is unfortunate, that there is no real window you can open at night. I had to find out that the number of toilets were enough, even though I had some concerns in the beginning. The showers were ok, too. The sinks were often blocked, but when I told the receptionist she assured me, that they were cleaning the drains more than once a day and it

• 17th Apr 2014

ONLY A COUPLE OF PLUG POINTS IN A 8 BED DORM MAKES IT A LITTLE DIFFICULT. REST OF THE FACILITIES ARE GOOD. MENS SHOWERS ARE IN POOR CONDITION WITH NO DOORS AND LOW NUMBER OF HOOKS.

The rooms were okay but the showers were absolutely terrible. I didn't even want to use them after the first night because they were so tiny and didn't drain. In one of them, the water never warmed up. Also, I saw the staff changing the bedding while I was in there room and while the sheets and pillow cases are changed, the duvet covers are not.

Single room was really tiny. Shared bathroom (one user at a time) was clean, updated and huge - bigger than the room!

• 17th Apr 2014