Belford Hostel Reviews

6/8 Douglas Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very nice kitchen and common areas

Very nice hostel! It gets a bit noisy during the night because it's a church and there's no outlets in the room. Showers are fine and they have a good common area with kitchen.

Very average showers, and the bar was not the best either. It was expensive for what it was as well.

• 24th May 2014
  • New Zealand

It´s in a church! Thats a nice thing because its easy to find. On the other hand its far from the citycentre.

Great location nothing to complain about apart from the bathrooms weren't very clean and there was only one power plug in the bedroom.

• 23rd May 2014
  • New Zealand

Good hostel - clean and lots of space. Inside of a church is pretty too. Private room shower has bad pressure and nobody told us we weren't allowed to drink alcohol inside so when we bought some it was confiscated!

• 21st May 2014

Great staff, amazing atmosphere. if I'll have the pleasure to come back in lovely Edinburgh i would love to sleep there again! me and my three friends rented a 4 room bedroom, clean, colorful, original rooms! clean showers with hot water, definitely: the price is up to expectations!!

The Belford Hostel has a definite novelty factor due to being in an old church building. Showers and overall cleanliness were fine, however more toilets would be a plus. The main issue was lack of ventilation: the rooms being small wooden boxes within the original stone building, this was basically equivalent to sleeping (or rather not getting any sleep!) in an oven. Even with the ceiling window open, this made little difference. As a result, I would not stay again, despite the amazing price.

• 19th May 2014

I was very reluctant to stay this hostel, considering the negative tone of a number of reviews. After having been at Belford four nights, I'd recommend anybody who complains to never travel anywhere more exotic than their own backyard. It's clean, the staff were generally kind and helpful, and large lockers are free the duration of your stay. My only two gripes are minor: noise at night can echo around something awful (earplugs are provided), and the showers aren't very private.

Bathrooms could be better. Great beds and lockers to be safe.

• 14th May 2014

Loved how the hostel was in a church. I think the activity room/kitchen could be a bit more updated or just redecorated and repainted. It was a bit far away from downtown but the walk was enjoyable and safe. The staff was great! I had a slight issue during my stay, however the receptionist on duty was able to solve the issue quickly. Thank you!

• 14th May 2014

Had mixed experiences with the staff. One receptionist was incredibly friendly, the other not so much.

need lockers that work! and i didn't like the early check out process. having to provide your credit card number on a piece on paper isn't very secure.

I loved this place. The idea of staying in an old church is so novel and it lived up to expectations. The assistant manager was kind and put up with my questions. This might be the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

nice staff, nice athmosphere, but not very clean. small rooms.

I hated the bathrooms and the toilette. My locker didn't work and the staff didn't care. The place smells humid and dirty.

The architecture of the hostel is really nice, with the paintings and the church style but inside it's not very well organised. For the girls you must go downstairs to get to the shower, (near the kitchen). There are no changing rooms for the girls. The toilet and shower are dirty and it's quite cold in the bathroom as it's an old building. Nevertheless the common room is nice and even if the location is not very central, Dean Village is very beautiful and it's near the Haymarket train station

The Hostel is located in a very nice area. Dean Village. The coffe shop just close to it serve very good coffes and fresh homemade food. We quite liked to stay in Belford Hostel. We were a bit worried when we booked because of the very cheap price, but everything was quite clean and the atmosphere quite interesting. Strange smells in toilets and kitchen but I cannot say the hostel was dirty. The room was a bit cold but clean. People works in are very helpfull with everything.

• 3rd May 2014

We liked this hostel very much. The atmosphere in the sanctuary part was cool with the ceiling, stained glass and murals. Room was convenient with adequate # of bathrooms available. Staff very friendly and helpful. The kitchen facilities were not wonderful - one sink was not operable; dish towels were old, grubby, stained; insufficient dishes and food storage for size of hostel. Need to clarify about garbage and recycling and have instructions in more than one language. Quiet, casual.

the girl at the reception had very bad mode with us. the hostel was really stinky bad odor everywhere. toilet doesn't work.

• 28th Apr 2014