Belsize House Reviews

40 Belsize Park Gardens, London, England

We booked a room with 4 beds but once we arrived, they told us that we will be in 4 different rooms and that we had to share it with another unkown person. Besides, one of us got a room in the basement with no windows !! However, the hostel give free breakfast and dinner (simple but good) and the location is convenient (close to the tube and next to a night bus station).

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Belgium
  • All Male Group, 25-30

very nice hostel loved my stay thank you!!!

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Argentina

Belsize House is a great hostel but I think it was a little too marked by Spanish maybe French people? Anyway, they were large groups who spoke a common language which made it hard to interfere. I am glad I had friends outside the house to meet up with.. Nice people though!

Quiet and nice neighbourhood, very accessible. The rooms are really noisy with these flimsy walls. If you do not have too high expectations, it is a good and safe hostel. The last night I stayed, the showers were too dirty..

• 31st Jan 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful. The double room we stayed in was clean, as was the bathroom. The beds weren't the best I've ever slept on but overall this hostel was a great place to spend a night in London. I would definitely stay there again.

• 31st Dec 2013

There should be a girl maving love with her man in our room at that night!!! I was really disturbed.

The area is a preppy one but you feel safer in the street than in the house itself. This is NOT A TRUE HOSTEL. It is more a shelter for (mostly) spanish and italian workers in London. Do not expect to get anything similar to a hostel atmosphere here. You will rather feel insecure bumping into tough guys in the aisle. You cant really enjoy London since you'd share a room with grumpy people that get angry if you shower after 22h cause they wake up early

They definitely have to improve the cleanliness, especially in the bathrooms! Also, many of the door locks didn't work quite well, which seriously affected the security. According to info online the reception should be opened 24-hour, but at the night I arrived it was closed and I had to find a way to phone them and ask them to open the door. With 2 meals a day included at such a price, this place is really a bargain though.

• 27th Dec 2013
  • Hong Kong

nice room, nice house, food was simple but good, all clean and nice cleaning staff (actually nice staff in general). i've got a good deal so for me it was totally forthit! some things to note for other travelers: not much stuff for cooking your own meals; noisy livingroom from early morning to around midnight (good for socialising, though); no lockers (can use the reception, though)

I loved my stay there! Everything was great! I will surely come back again, now I love London even more :)

• 21st Sep 2013
  • Russia

For £12 a night I thought this hostel was great, I booked a dorm room for 3 guests

I was going to royal free hospital for a course with a colleague , we think we can spend the night there as it is near the hospital , they put us in 2 different rooms although i have reserved via hostelworld before arriving .. that was the main problem that day

Dear Sir, I am sorry to hear that the problem you mention on your comment might have affected your stay at Belsize House, but as explained to you already your booking was indeed for 2 different dormitories. Regards Belsize Manager

Good location and price, poor cleanliness and facilities. Excellent spot if you want to be near Camden or Regent's Park, very walkable & close to many tube stations and busses. Two free meals a day but low quality, no kitchen facilities. Free wifi in rooms (don't believe them if they tell you to rent a cable, you don't need it). Rooms themselves clean and had sinks, comfortable beds, and outlets. No lockers. Toilets constantly flooded, unclean, and water in shower only runs in short bursts.

They need to improve the cleanliness of the toilet, bathrooms and shower rooms. Some residents smoke in the rooms even when sharing with a non smoker. It will be a good idea if the hostel have strict rules regarding smoking in rooms for the sake of protecting the health of other residents.

• 27th Aug 2013

I went to Belsize House for 3 nights and I was very pleasantly surprised. I booked a 5 beds dorm for girls and ended up in the great, high ceilinged and ensuite room downstairs with only four beds. It was clean, as long I didn't look too far ( big pieces of hair underneath the sink). Although, I hear not all showers are this good. Food was not gastronomic but plenty, location was very safe and there are so many Spanish people that you will improve more than your English ! Overall, a good deal !

Great rooms! The beds were comfortable and sheets and beddings were very clean and in a good condition. There was a sink which is a great thing to have. Lots of storage room in a wardrobe and in a drawer in the room, but it would've been nice to have a locker that can be used with my own padlock. A large common room with a TV and a vending machine was good. WiFi worked very well. Storing my luggage after check-out was free, but it would've been nice if there was a locked room for the luggage.

• 24th Aug 2013
  • Finland

Bed bugs plague.

• 15th Aug 2013

Staff printed my flight check-in for free. Big help and excellent service! Hostel has normal breakfast but warm inclusive dinner and even a vegetarian choice! Loved it!

I am a mature single female and stayed briefly on five occasions in july and august.I always felt welcome and safe both in the hostel and coming and going to the nearby tube station. The staff were very helpful amd pleasant. My only request would be for more hooks in the shower rooms - which were painfully small.

• 11th Aug 2013

We got there early in the morning to drop our luggage and the receptionnist didn't see a reservation at our name so he told us to wait for his colleague. When I talked to his colleague he asked me "are you high or something?" because he didn't understand the situation, thinking we had slept in the common room the whole night or something like that. He ended up being really nice feeling guilty of the misunderstanding but the first receptionnist was awful and I couldn't get my own key for my room.

• 20th Jul 2013