Bergen YMCA Hostel Reviews

Nedre Korskirkealmenning 4, Bergen, Norway

The hostel was nice and the facilities were good. Wifi was excellent The lady at the front desk was helpful. Atmosphere was a bit flat, probably because its winter as well, but perfect place if you like your sleep and don;t want loud parties.

Great location but very impersonal atmosphere during the winter months, it may be a different story in summer, but I only saw a staff member once during my 3 day stay. Not a party hostel at all so don't expect this! Easy to find and a really good location right near the waterfront.

• 24th Jan 2015

Couldn't be positioned any better! Right in the heart of Bergen! I didn't get a chance to meet the staff as I arrived late and left early but everything was prepared for me. I went in low season so not a great atmosphere but the 16 bed dorm didn't feel crowded at all. Showers were a real let down, just room with 2 almost see through dividers to split 3 showers and a curtain to cover you, I felt so exposed! Also only 4 power points for 16 people! Cheapest in Bergen so can't complain too much.

My staying in YMCA Bergen was very pleasant! The dorms were really nice and the facilities were always clean. I liked the really good location of the hostel and enjoyed the good equipped kitchen, but in my opinion the arrangement of the showers was problematic.

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Greece

Security; lockers need a key from reception, but arriving late afternoon means no staff are on duty (access cards are picked up from a key code safe); therefore I had no use of lockers and had to leave all my possessions in my room unsecured. Location; can't beat it for being central in Bergen Cleanliness; the bathroom smelt really damp

The location was great and everything was clean, but the beds were rubbish and my room was very cold the first night I stayed.

Great place to stay in a beautiful city.

Really great hostel in central Bergen.

• 30th Sep 2014

We were drinking on a Friday night calmly in the common area and suddenly a staff member cane to us yelling that we can't drink there, a rule that wasn't specified when we booked the hostel. He was very rude, disrespectful and even threatened to call the police when we asked him why he was saying that to us. I hope that place makes something to change that kind of behavior in their staff.

All is exellent, espessialy the location - right in the city center!

Ok hostel for the price but with a bit of institutionalized atmosphere. You get what you pay for so that is fine. Sleeping in a huge dorm is of course always noisy, but it's what can be expected from the price and dorm-facilities. The hostel has a great location and is a fine option for travelers needing just a bed to sleep in (We came late at night and left early in the morning so it was fine).

Booking the cheapest option we could find in Bergen, we were surprised in a positive way! Everything looks quite new and clean, bathroom is nice and warm and even the 16-bed-dorm didn't seem that large :)

Kitchen was an eye sore when we arrived - unwashed dishes in the sink and pretty much a mess. The short-haired female receptionist appeared very unfriendly (if not rude!) to me when I went to enquire about my room arrangement and she accused me for "giving the completely wrong info" when she asked me for my name. When the misunderstanding due to pronunciation cleared, she stressed again that I "gave her the completely wrong info" without a proper apology. Generally disrespectful.

Fantastic location. The only negative was no locker facilities in the rooms to lock valuables away.

It was sometimes quite loud in the common areas late at night. The hostel is perfectly located in the heart of the city.

• 8th Sep 2014

The YMCA hostel is really nice. I really recommend the cafe downstairs. The location cannot be better in Bergen. The rooftop is relaxing and the common areas are really conducive to meeting people. Beds are pretty standard.