Berkenhoff Lodge

Fabulous 174 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 18-24
17th Feb 2017
7.7

Very cute hostel.. one of our favourites! Backpacky vibes and not far from town or supermarket. Good social areas with Netflix. And the owner resent on our things very kindly when we left them ! Would recommend staying here 😀

• Australia, Female, 41+
15th Feb 2017

Great place to stay

• England, Couple, 18-24
11th Feb 2017

One of our favourite hostels so far in New Zealand! Hostel owner is very kind and so helpful, there are bikes to hire which are much cheaper than hiring from the town centre and there's loads of communal space and a huge kitchen. Wifi is really good as well and the owner will come and pick you up from the bus stop. :)

• England, Female, 25-30
10th Feb 2017

This place is so cool and the staff so friendly that I didn't want to leave!!! I'm going to stay ere every time I visit Taupo!

• England, Female, 25-30
5th Feb 2017
6.0

Good points- free pick up and drop off from the bus stop. The lounge area is a good spot to meet people. Not so good points- the hostel is a 20 minute walk from the city. The fridge in the kitchen is not big enough and leaks, my food was soaking. The laundry is also no good- my clothes didn't spin or rinse. It was so hot yet none of the dorm rooms have a fan or ac, we slept with the door open. Finally a extra sheet should be given as duvet covers are not washed, so hygiene is questionable.

• Canada, Female, 25-30
23rd Jan 2017

We stayed for just one night for a quick stay as we had limited time to travel the north island. We drove Auckland to Taupo and then back up the next day. It was very relaxing, comfortable beds, great communal areas and VERY good rates.

20th Jan 2017
8.0

A little out of the way but the owner more than made up for it! He was AMAZING and really friendly. When I had issues with the washing machine he fixed them, and stayed up to finish my drying! The people were really nice and it had a homey feel. The sink was next to my bed which was a little awkward when people were brushing their teeth next to me, when I was sleeping but you only live once. Loads of rooms to hang in, and close to Hakka falls. I quite enjoyed myself!!!!

• USA, Female, 18-24
1st Jan 2017
5.7

The room that I checked into was filthy. The bathroom was disgusting, there was stuff all over the floor, and the sheets smelled funny. I asked to move rooms and was allowed. I spent the night in a different room. In the morning I was forced to vacate that room because a couple changed their mind last minute and wanted the entire room. Owner made weird comment about seeing me sleeping. Yelled at by staff member who made a poor assumption. Owner almost made me miss bus. would not stay again.

13th Oct 2016
7.1

Berkenhoff is a nice place and has super friendly staff. There weren't many people there when I stayed. It was pretty quiet, not many people to hang out with, but it seems like a super fun place when it's busier. It was really cold and the space heater in the room wasn't working. There were only 2 outlets in a 6 bed dorm, but since there weren't many people there it wasn't a problem for me. Free ride to and from the bus stop when you arrive and leave is really nice.

• Canada, Male, 41+
6th Oct 2016

This is a really interesting lodge with heaps of comments written on the walls. The guy at reception was really helpful with explaining all the things to do. The kitchen was a really clean one and they had heaps of spices for cooking available. The lounge had Netflix tv so I could watch movies at night which was awesome. My room was clean and the WiFi was free which was good because it rained quite a lot. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone. Comfortable and clean.