Berkenhoff Lodge Reviews

75 Scannell Street, Taupo, New Zealand

A very friendly place to stay, we would certainly stay there again.

• 29th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

Kitchen was dirty and so there were flies everywhere. They had an electric fly killer which looked as though it hadn't been emptied for quite a while. It's a shame that people can't clean up after themselves, but the hostel should be more vigilant and penalise the culprits. It would also be nice if there was soap in the bathrooms. Asides from cleanliness and hygiene issues, our stay was a pleasant one and our room was a pretty good price.

This hostel was only the SECOND worst hostel I've ever encountered. For starters it's located ridiculously far from ANYTHING, way out in the dead-lawn burbs. The room was filthy. The bunks lacked ladders. The mattresses were practically holes, soft, sagging through the lower bars. And the toilet plumbing dripped and gurgled throughout the night. I woke up at 2:00 am to catch a spider crawling on my back. Next morning I left despite having booked two nights. Keep the change.

Had a great time there and the swimming pool was a particularly nice extra. We even extended our stay by a night. I would say this backpackers is best if you have your own transport though.

Great place and the staff were the best. One thing though - the pillows and mattress in the double private were pretty bad. I'm not fussy at all, hence why I still gave this place a great rating as it deserves it, but I was literally sleeping on springs. Pillows are also throughly outdated, it was comfiest sleeping without it.

Very helpful staff.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Was hassle -free and facilities great for our needs. Management went out of their way to make everyone welcome and a smooth running of the place.

• 29th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

The Berkenhoff lodge is a hostel I would absolutely recommend to anyone else! The staff is very, very friendly. The rooms are nice and the location is great! One thing that could have been better: our shower was not as clean as we hoped. But that's all. Besides that: perfect!

Lovely hostel, would recommend as it had a very familial feeling to it. Cooked Christmas dinner here as the kitchen is huge! The rooms were quaint, i adored the cute curtains and bed, would recommend as it was lovely staying here.

The staff at the lodge were excellent, they were very helpful and chatty. The atmosphere was really good, people were cooking and baking together. Would recommend for any ages.

The hospitality was unparalleled. You couldn't pay for the kind of service and treatment we were awarded. Should I ever find myself in Taupour gain, Bhoff is where I'll stay

Though the hostel facilities are basic but they are clean. Friendly and helpful reception. They offered suggestions and ideas on how to get around the places.

• 2nd Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

The toilet in room 14 needs either cleaned or replaced. Only one working electrical socket working in the room.

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

We had a very enjoyable stay...the only problem was it was too short! They have great facilities (including a swimming pool & games room) and a garden area out the back! It's a nice walk down to the waterfront and not that much further into town. Our hosts were very friendly and accomodating. Would be nice to have free wifi, and our bunk room was pretty small (slept 8), but the other rooms I saw were nice and most seemed to have ensuites. Would definitely recommend this hostel! :-)

• 7th Nov 2015