Big Blue Backpackers Reviews

7 Vesperdene Road, Green Point CT 8001, Cape Town, South Africa

Really nice hostel. Relaxing atmosphere, and has everything you need. Very "Cape Town" feeling.

Had a very nice stay at this property. Excellent location with easy access to the waterfront and lots of good restaurants. Also a very secure hostel. All in all a great value and a good experience.

This was my first time in a back packers and I am 59. My friend is 65. We thought it was such fun. It was recommended to me and I will recommend Big Blue to whoever I can. Thanks for asking. Kind regards, Linda.

• 2nd Mar 2014

Great big beautiful house, nicely set up to accommodate everyone. Lovely pool and lounge area and great for insomniacs like myself running around at night. Super close to shops, restaurants and the v&a waterfront making it very nice to sight see. Cape Town is beautiful and big blue will Definetly see me again

I was disappointed beacuse I Big Blue did not take my whole stay booking. I was moved out of Big Blue from the 2nd of January to the alternative accommodation that was horable, Fawlty Towers. Bid Blue told me on the 15th of December that they have their regular customer booked from the 2nd of January and they can only acccommodate me from 30th of December to the 1st of Jan. I was very much disappointed. But I still Love the place.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • South Africa

We were quite pleased by the place. You got everything you need in walking distance, even the waterfront is 15 minutes walking distance. The WiFi is pretty bad though, but you're in Cape Town, you should be going out anyaway...

Stayed over Christmas superb. Made to feel very welcome. Great staff who cooked up Christmas dinner. Met some great people. Ill be back

We felt very good in the Big Blue, the staff was very helpfull. Just the bathroom is very poor (yet clean); to find the switcher for the light is difficult, there is no soap etc., snd the towels are very old. Besides this - the hostel is very good.

Fairly cheap, free internet and wifi but at a sacrifice of not much atmosphere. Bar was empty every night I was there and the vast majority of guests were watching television or using computers... not a very social environment. But if you're not looking for that, it's a good location, has a good kitchen, is close to a supermarket and walking distance to Waterfront. They also book any tour you're interested in.

The hostel is near Waterfront area and is quite close to the main street in Greenpoint. The place is quite cool and the staff running it are extremely helpful and social. The hostel has a very good vibe to it and you meet lots of interesting people who are traveling as well. They have good wi-fi, pool table, inexpensie vtours and braai facilities. The best thing for me about the hostel was the staff running it who I ended up being friends with and who made my Cape Town experience amazing.

i stayed over to take part in the gunrun half marathon. i initially could not sleep as the dorm was near the kitchen, but Tina was very helpful and moved me to a quieter dorm so i could get a good nights rest. i slept well and had a great race - thank you big blue!

• 12th Oct 2013
  • South Africa

In 2004 I stayed several days at Big Blue and it was much better than this time. It Looks like nothing happens to improve or hold the Standard of 2004 (in 2003 Big Blue won an Award) The kitchen is not really clean, some of the staff wasn´t really friendly and interessted in helping us. All in all no warm welcome and stay.

• 19th Sep 2013

Wifi doesn't function in bedrooms... They turn off the wifi at 11 pm. Its so bad.

• 1st Sep 2013

Vaughn at front desk was very helpful, and the location was great!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Accommodation was comfortable and secure. The bathrooms were few for the number of people who shared it, but it was not a big problem since most guests were on different schedules. There is only one chair in the dorm room, but downstairs there is a comfortable and relaxing area to hang out in with a television, wifi, and couches/tables. Overall I enjoyed my stay here and recommend it to others looking for a relaxing hostel thats close to the waterfront.

• 28th Mar 2013

We loved the hostel! Especially the staff, who were extremely helpful in giving great advise and booking tours/taxis/etc. The only thing we would have wanted was a lock box in the room, however the location and hostel were very safe and we had no problems. Our room was quiet and the bar/pool area was a good place to hang out.

• 21st Mar 2013

I had booked a single room , shared bathroom, but decided for a room en-suite for 450ZAR. The bathroom was quite rundown, 1 small towel still looked dirty, and if it was washed, I recommend not to use it any more... What annoyed me a lot - I had payed a deposit of U$ 6,22, and forgot about it, because I was travelling for a long time and hadn´t printed it out. They charged me the whole amount of 450ZAR without considering the deposit! I expect they put the money back to my mastercard.

• 13th Mar 2013

Herewith our truthful response.This is the first time that we have stayed in a Back Packers Hostel. We enjoyed the vibe etc. Barmen were inhebrihated most of the time! tSorry that there were no hand basins in the rooms! you really need to jack up your showering facilities - get someone to unblock the drainage system. Standing ankle-deep in blocked up water is simply not on! The centrality to the Waterfront is excellent. Next Argus Cycle race, we would want a room with its own bathing facilities!

• 8th Mar 2013
  • South Africa

wonderfulllll !! very nice people working there. always cold beer (and water and much more!). everything is very well organized (pick up and drop off service from/to airport, taxy). everybody is very helpful. thx for the wonderful time, guys! we'll be back! eli & sara

• 5th Feb 2013
  • Switzerland

A nice lively place in a good location. Very nice staff and nice people. Homely and relaxed atmosphere. Would definetly recommend for anyone backpacking in SA.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7