Big Blue Backpackers Reviews

7 Vesperdene Road, Green Point CT 8001, Cape Town, South Africa

I had a great stay at the big Blue Backpackers. The staff was really nice and the facilities really clean. Nice pool and really spacious rooms. Convenient location. Would stay there anytime again!

Great place to stay, good location and friendly staff

Everything was amazing. The staff was actually very good apart from the manager who was really rude. He confronted the staff in front of everyone on various occasions and he was really rude when I asked him a question on various occasions. The other staff was actually really nice and very helpful. They just seemed a bit stressed and sad after the manager confronted them. I do not know the managers name but it was a white guy with dark hair, rather big build.

• 17th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

Was only there for one night, staff were really helpful, relaxed and friendly and pretty organised for such a big place. Other guests seemed to have a good rapour with them. Mattress was not too comfortable, could feel the slats under me. There are lockers in the rooms but I think you have to bring your own padlock and mine was taken up with someone else's stuff. Had I been staying longer I probably would have done something about and it would have been fine! Very good value for money, thanks!

Going back there for my next Cape Town Stay

The hostel is good for staying, good location, close to a supermarket and 2 bus stops that take you everywhere. However, I couldn't connect the wifi and one of the staff said that the problem was my new iPhone 5, and suggested me to buy a Samsung. Was rude.

Close to the waterfront, safe location. Clean rooms. Kitchen was not clean and messy. Place not really convivial. Internet not working when too many people want to use it No bathroom for men at first floor so need to go groundfloor.

huge accommodation but makes it feel a little less friendly, however great facilities, location and near shop and cash point and v&a waterfront! so secure i almost couldnt get in or out!

Great location for Waterfront but this hostel needs a lot of updating/maintenance to match other near by hostels. Admittedly it is very cheap but you get what you pay for. Atlantic Point is just round the corner and is much better value.

Good location with Waterfront and city centre within walking distance. Outdoor areas could be nicer, but good value for the money.

Close to the waterfront and plenty of restaurants. Felt safe walking around this area by myself. Vaughn was extremely helpful & accommodating, although the female that tended to work at night gave the impression you were bothering her if you asked her anything. Be careful as they use a lot of bleach to clean. I dropped some clothes while getting ready to take a shower and they all ended up getting ruined with bleach spots.

Jeanette, Greedo, Von (sorry if the spelling of your names is wrong !) and all the staff welcome you very friendly at the Big Blue. Ideally situated between the beaches and the center (you can reach both easily by bus), this lodge is clean and safe. I did'nt book any tour but there is a large choice. I met nice people and really enjoyed this place !!! ;)) Thank you and hope to see you soon !! Sophie (From France)

We had a nice time at the hostel, location is perfect, very close to the Waterfront, there are loads of good shops, cafés and restaurants right next to the hostel, staff are very helpful and friendly.

• 20th Sep 2014

Love Big Blu. Most awesome backpackers on the planet. And new hot babes on the daily :)

We had a very goed stay at the big blue b/p. The kitchen was very clean. We sleep at a dorm for female it was really good. Big blue is 10 minutes walk to waterfront.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Strategically located near to the waterfront make a walk in no time, free wifi, hot shower and a clean room

Great stay,

I've lived in Cape Town for many years and in addition am the co-host at Karma Backpackers in the Eastern Free State. From the perspective of a Cape Town resident, I believe that the hostel is remarkable: the prices are very reasonable, the building is very conveniently situated (South Africans and visitors alike will appreciate the Woolworths Food shop on the doorstep, never mind the near amenities) and for its age, it is both attractive and well maintained. A special treat. for me.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • South Africa

Really nice hostel. Relaxing atmosphere, and has everything you need. Very "Cape Town" feeling.

Value for money at Big Blue was well worth it. It's not fancy but we booked a double room with ensuite and were very comfortable with our spacious room. As a woman I would feel more comfortable with a better lock in the door at night. You can't beat the central location, its literally a 7 minute walk down to the V

• 22nd Jul 2014