Big Hostel Reviews

212 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Good central location, walking distance to tourist attractions, helpful staff, clean rooms every day although bathroom a bit messy after/during the morning rush.

Really satisfied by choosing The Big Hostel. I stayed in 8 female dorm, comfortable bed, great individual lockers. Big windows and always a nice temperature in the room, no bad smells at all. Clean toilets, hot and strong showers, enough towel holders and good space between shower curtain and door to get dressed. Great kitchen and free breakfast . Perfect location to me - I just walked everywhere around. Staff were friendly and helpful. Definetly the best cost-benefit.

• 2nd Apr 2014

staff friendly and helpful. location very convenient to Central Station

• 28th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

The staff were helpful and nice, it's clean and it had a free breakfast. The atmosphere was a little lacking (it seemed like a lot of long term people staying who were not interested in meeting tourists staying for only a few days) but it was close to the majority of the tourist things you go to Sydney to see and the train/bus station. Overall it was fine. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

Fantastic. On top of that, really cheap and includes breakfast and wifi! Was waiting for a catch but never found one. Staff are friendly, common room buzzing, films playing, large rooms, friendly ppl staying, laundry, big lockers

Stayed 4 days in ensuite double room. Basic facilities but otherwise fine. Bed a little uncomfortable. Near to Central station and easy to get around from there.

• 20th Mar 2014

Cleanest kitchen I even been

Good management

the cleanest kitchen i even seen

fantastic!!!! 진짜 최고임

• 5th Feb 2014
  • South Korea

One of the best hostels I've stayed at in Sydney. Staff were great and helpful, 24h reception is great, brilliant facilities, good location near to central station. Fab value for money, I'd definitely stay here again

Awesome place: very clean, the staff is super friendly and helpful. great location, right next to central station and breakfast is free. would absolutely recommend!

• 16th Jan 2014

Great staff (one lady is a bit grumpy but the others are very friendly and helpful), my private room was nice, clean and quiet with a spotless bathroom. Staff has a very close eye on kitchen cleanliness which pays off. Free WiFi in common area at ground floor. I will stay threre again at the end of my journey. Can only recommend it!

thanks for the great feedback Petra, see you when you return! :) regards Hellen (manager)

I spent a little extra money to stay at Big Hostel, since many places in Sydney had bad reviews. It wasn't worth it! By far the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in in a hostel, and I had a roach crawling over my foot as I ate breakfast. Save some money and go somewhere else.

The hotel was clean. Shared bathroom has hair drier; which is useful. The location is close to china town, Hyder park and Australian museum, all walking distance.

We booked an ensuited room for 3 ppl, it was clean, spacious, really nice. It was the hostel with best atmosphere, staff and the "cosy" feeling you look for when staying in such places. Also, the location was fantastic, you can walk easily to Darling Harbour, Opera House and take the bus to Bondi Beach right from Elizabeth St. Plus there's free internet on ground floor with good speed and the staff are really helpful. Definitely recommend!

Hostel very close to the Greyhound stop so very good when you arrive late as me. The room are very clean and very new. A good place to stay with relax place on the roof.

Good but can get very crowded in communal space. Personally thought they could get rid of the TVs in the dorms and reduce the prices!

One of the best hostel in Sydney. Free wifi (on ground floor) and breakfast. Nice and helpful staff. I recommend it.

The hostel is quite nice. The only things that I didn't like were the bathrooms and to some extent my room. The bathrooms are very small so there is no place to put your stuff while you shower. My room was only bad because of my roommates. It's a hostel policy to avoid 'bag cluster,' but it was not strictly enforced so the room I arrived in had stuff all over the floor. Not very inviting. Staff was quite nice. Thanks for the breakfast! (It's pretty basic, but anything helps cut costs!)

• 6th Nov 2013

Hi Caitlyn, yes room 204 had some piggies- we have a new room of travelers and it's back to shiny clean- sometimes it is hard to find the messy travelers to get them to clean up- our door signs were ignored to tidy up so a fresh wave of clean guests in this room has arrived - apologies for your piggy roomies regards Management (Hellen)