Big Hostel Reviews

212 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia

The first hostel made me feel like staying at home. I like that they have really good kitchen facilities : hot water, drinking water. The kitchen is very clean (for a hostel standard), the dishes and mugs are clean and easy accessible. The free breakfast is really good. I love whole wheat bread with vegemite, peanut butter and jam. I believe that the owner(s) want to make this place comfortable and clean. It's amazing. I will recommend the place to everyone. Thanks for the good hostel guys!

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Thailand

Location close to the Central Terminal, but very unconfortable beds, like hospital beds, with a plastic around it.

One of the best Hostels I've ever been too!!! :) It was clean, good atmosphere and the staff was very friendly.

This place was convenient for me as I was using Central station to get everywhere, other than that really nothing special. My dorm room door wouldn't latch so literally anybody in the hostel could wander in at any time. Also the shower was terrible, barely warm water trickled out. Wouldn't recommend this place.

Great communal area, huge lockers, friendly staff, excellent location - so close to the train station, Chinatown & Hyde Park.

Very friendly and experienced staff. Room is better than we expect. The best part is room door is sound proof (we believe so) because we can‘t really hear what‘s going on along the corridor (it wasn‘t really loud)

Really clean and safe hostel with a pretty good location, 5 minutes walk to central and george street is just a stone throw away. Good value for money since the hostel offer FREE wifi and breakfast!!! Thats pretty rare for a hostel in Sydney! Not the best atmosphere tho, kinda hard to meet new travellers , no common activities arranged by the hostel , so this hostel is probably better for people not travelling alone ;)

Large lockers in rooms which require your own lock. Location is very close to central station, which is a great spot to explore from, and it is on a main road and is therefore relatively safe. However the area overall isn't the safest in sydney. Staff were friendly and helpful. Generally great atmosphere - everyone hangs out in the lounge/kitchen area, and the hostel discourages long stay residents by having a 28 day limit. The bathrooms were shared amongst several dorms but I found them clean.

I enjoyed my stay! The staff was phenomenal, always willing to answer questions. There seemed to be a decent amount of long termers, so by the time I got there they had established a friend group that was hard to get into. The wifi was pretty bad, but free so it is what it is. It was nice to have free breakfast. Central location. All in all, pretty great

Guests weren't very friendly and I was in an 8 bed with no one who spoke English. Wifi is only downstairs. Bathrooms aren't great. Staff brilliant and location reasonable. 30 min walk to opera house etc but central station 5 mins walk. Free breakfast was good.

• 11th Aug 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel. Marco, one of the staff , is very helpful and friendly. I would come back next time when I travel to Sydney .

I really liked this hostel. Staff helpful and friendly but not obtrusive. Great atmosphere. Good value for money, with breakfast included and kitchen facilities. I would stay here again and recommend to others.

Great, laid back atmosphere! Very clean, I felt super comfortable. Location is right by Central Station, which means it is like a 25min walk to the harbour.

Big hostel is the best hostel I have stayed at so far. The staff are great (Marco, you are the best!), really helpful and genuinely nice. The breakfast is a plus, the place is very clean, the rules are very clear (and visible everywhere), and the atmosphere is nice. Also, I loved the diversity of the people staying there, that included travelers, students and families. I would definitely go back

Nice hostel in a central location, only a short walk from central station. Has a side entrance down an alley for entry at night which does look a little dodgy at first. Lockers available in rooms. You do have to make your own bed but hostel includes free breakfast. Signs everywhere telling you what you cant/shouldnt do, felt a bit like living with a strict parent, maybe even just having one list of rules in a common room or given to you when you enter would lessen this

Nice hostel. But not really a social one. Nothing bad to say about the hostel itself, but i didn't like the atmospere. A lot of families and very anti social long term stayers.

The wifi was a bit hit and miss, it was only in the common room area and getting good connection proved difficult. All other aspects of the hostel are great.

Great value for money, very welcoming staff. Huge lockers to put backpacks in (bring your own lock). The area has everything you need. Would recommend!

• 5th Jul 2014

Good hostel with very nice location. Staff is very helpful.

Kitchen was too small and old, free breakfast is a plus however there wasn't have enough space to sit. Overall is valuable for money to stay with. Like the hot shower very much.