Big Hostel Reviews

212 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia

Nice all round, not too far from city attractions. Clean. Though beware your food, I elongated my stay for a week but forgot to extend the label on my food by one day. The staff like to take the good stuff and the travellers who work there for keeps so of you buy anything nice don't keep it downstairs. As I was checking out the receptionist was sipping on some tea I got from China town. Coincidence I think not. And there's lots of scare tactics around but if your a normal person don't worry

The staff was nice and free breakfast was good. I stayed in an 8 Bed dorm which was nice but the shared restroom for the whole floor was not very clean.

Basically full of workers so don't expect a backpacke vibe. The kitchen struggles to cope with the volume of people once work is finished, and while the common area is nice, it doesn't work as either a chill out space or socialising space. Good location, breakfast fine, rooms decent and staff gave us free tickets to the comedy store which was much appreciated! Overall it is absolutely fine, but not going to be a traveller's favourite.

Kylie and Helen were great, went out of their way to give me info of the area and attempt to book scuba dives for me. Beds are comfortable, big locker to put all your gear in, well stocked kitchen, best wifi I've had in any hostel in Oz. Not thrilled about getting to my room and having a sign on door proclaiming the guy with bad knees was checking in, so leave me a bottom bunk. I was a paratrooper for the US Army, in combat-among other things, but I became bad knee guy. Overall great place.

The receptionist was very kind. And free breakfast was good.

• 28th May 2015
  • Japan

Staff was great, very helpful and knowledgeable! The free breakfast was a nice bonus, and the overall atmosphere was social yet still relaxing and comfortable - would definitely stay here again

Great hostel! Nice location a short walk from central station. Clean room and kitchen and wonderful staff.

This was my first hostel in Australia, so I booked a 4 bed dorm to start with. The room itself was very small and you could not open any windows which made it very stuffy! Bathroom smelled too and was not very clean. But other than that I was positively surprised. Bed linen were clean, security was good (one big locker for every person in room) and the kitchen and communal area was nice as well. Very close to Central station and it's not a long walk to the main seights either.

pros: excellent helpful staff free wifi free breakfast dorm comes with locker hair dryer in the toiler, unlike other hostel without hairdryer or always unavailable room can be quite messy sometimes, but fortunately the staff remind the guests regularly via memo cons: kitchen not spacious enough, but still OK as a budget level hostel only 1 washing machine and dryer is working

• 1st May 2015
  • Malaysia

The hostel was great! The location was good, just a walking distance from the central station, shopping street and the Circural Quay. The atmosphere in the hostel was nice and calm. There were only two things that could be improved. When I first arrived to my room I was a bit shocked because it was so messy: there were a lot of people's things just lying around on the floor. The other thing is, that the common area is not so pleasant because it echoes a lot and it can get really loud there.

Was a nice a hostel, having a bathroom for each 4 bed dorm was great, and the common room and kitchen were spacious and chilled out. There were so many rules everywhere though, and although we understand they might be needed the tone of all these notices was a bit unfriendly. There were a few cockroaches in the common area and we didn't like the idea that only the sheets were washed every time not the blankets, it's a bit weird.

Very good overall, very helpful staff, would recommend!

Nice hostel close to Sydney Central Station. Short walk of George and Pitt Street. Nice big clean rooms, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms. Good free breakfast. Would stay here again.

I think it's great hostel: clean, secure, good location, good wifi, nice staff. The only think I didn't like is that 90% of people were with working vacation visas, which means they were there since many weeks. They just cam back from work, cooked, watched one movie and went to bed. It makes this place very secure, but difficult for socializing for a solo traveler.

Very clean with towels changed every two days. staff very helpful and informative Good location and no access unless a guest The cheapest place to stay in Sydney

• 21st Mar 2015

I was there a couple of days I really like this Hostel, good location just a 2 block from the rail station, very nice atmosphere and was really clean.

Sorta of a dirty hostel but the staff was nice enough. The amenities and rooms were adequate

The staff was very helpful and the free breakfast and common area were much appreciated. The wifi was a bit spotty for my even simple needs though. Still thumbs up.

Definitely a good place to stay, clean and with a very nice staff and good people around. For some reason, is not one of those backpackers hostels with young people outside the door shouting on the street. Also, is very close to Central Station. Internet was working fine, however there's strange policy you cannot visit such websites like okcupid.com or even Instagram.

I believe this is the best hostel in Sydney. Free breakfast free wifi. A nice common room with free movies. Large kitchens well. It's is a big hostel but the common area is big enough to make new friends.