Big Hostel Reviews

212 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills, Sydney, Australia

Very clean with towels changed every two days. staff very helpful and informative Good location and no access unless a guest The cheapest place to stay in Sydney

• 21st Mar 2015

I was there a couple of days I really like this Hostel, good location just a 2 block from the rail station, very nice atmosphere and was really clean.

The staff was very helpful and the free breakfast and common area were much appreciated. The wifi was a bit spotty for my even simple needs though. Still thumbs up.

Definitely a good place to stay, clean and with a very nice staff and good people around. For some reason, is not one of those backpackers hostels with young people outside the door shouting on the street. Also, is very close to Central Station. Internet was working fine, however there's strange policy you cannot visit such websites like okcupid.com or even Instagram.

I believe this is the best hostel in Sydney. Free breakfast free wifi. A nice common room with free movies. Large kitchens well. It's is a big hostel but the common area is big enough to make new friends.

Great hostel. I can't think of anything to criticise. I would certainly recommend it.

It was great~ There were lockers so I could keep my stuff safely~

• 21st Feb 2015
  • South Korea

Nice to have free breakfast and wifi downstairs. The kitchen had basicly everything. Bathrooms were ok and clean. Would go there again.

This was a very boring, bland hostel. The rooms are stuffy in summer and the staff are curt. Not bad, but I've stayed in better and cheaper places in Sydney.

dear guest, we are not a party hostel and we wish to only provide a clean and safe environment- I am not sure how we could be boring as we don't try to be fun, just safe, clean and budget is our aim..

Good location. Spacious dorms. Large lockers in room but you have to have your own padlock, which I prefer anyway. Large common area and kitchen. Breakfast is basic but still has enough variety and is good to have it included in the price. Staff is helpful but a bit distant. No major complaints tho, very comfortable stay and will definitely go back if I'm ever in Sydney again

nice clean hostel nothing to complain about

Its a nice place. It wasn't crazy, though crowded. I like that they had breakfast provided. Good facilities. Close to the train station and the grocery store. The staff is kind and helpful. Lots of rules posted all over, but I appreciated them and they made me laugh.

The window in the dorm room could not be opened and it stank when you came in. Facilities were okay, though not enough tables to sit down to eat or do your laptop stuff.

Unfortunately it seemed like there were quite some groups of friends that were staying longer than what should be accepted. Although this might have only been the case in my dorm, the atmosphere was not great and their intention of making the room into their home did not contribute to improve it. Nevertheless, clean and nicely located place.

A good hostel! Nice kitchen and helpfull! The toilets was not that clean and smelled a bit. But otherwise its a nice hostel with free breakfast!

• 9th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Great hostel! staff can seem a little rude, but i think they are actually nice. they deliver what they say, so no need for more details.

We stayed at the Big Hostel for all three days in Sydney and enjoyed our experience there. The room was small but clean, and it was a great value for a private room with ensuite bathroom in the area. The location is excellent, it was two blocks walk to Central station, and two blocks to the free bus on George St. Breakfast was simple but good, and the staff was friendly and helpful with any questions about the area. Wifi was slow and only available in a small, often crowded area.

• 5th Jan 2015

One pf the very best hostels in Sydney, and by far the best value!

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Norway

I can't fault this hostel in the least. I initially booked in for three nights but ended up staying nearly three months. It's very reasonably priced given the very central location, very clean and very quiet so perfect for workers/long term stays. large kitchen with ample storage in fridges and shelves and a large common room with comfy sofas. The staff really make this place though, friendly, welcoming and helpful especially Kate, Kylie and Ritch. I highly recommend and I'll definitely be back.

Easy to find, just a couple minutes walk from the train station. Lockers are very big. No major complaints. Do note the internet/wifi is only available in the common room, but that beats the heck out of paying for it like you would most places in Sydney. The rooms don't have a whole lot of outlets, but generally speaking, there's enough to do the trick.