Bilbao Akelarre Hostel Reviews

Calle Morgan 4-6, Bilbao, Spain

A very clean, cute little hostel in a great location. Comfy beds, clean nice showers and incredibly helpful staff. Hostel has more of a family or older feel however, so if you are a backpacker looking for a party and other like minded travellers this may not be the best choice. But for cleanliness, comfort and location: excellent.

• 11th Aug 2014

Directions to the place could be a little clearer but the people were lovely and very helpful. I thought it was very good value for money.

• 9th Aug 2014

Average hostel with good facilities, but very far away from the center if you don't have a bike.

A bit of a walk, uphill to the metro station (10 min). Friendly staff, nice rooms.

Very nice staff, nice place to meet people, pretty cool atmosphere.

I would have liked a gas cooker (to boil potatoes!) or electric rings. I will stay here again!

• 14th Jul 2014

Thanks Timothy! we have to buy something!!

The staff was really friendly, with the exception of a Frank (I think that was his name). Kind of a an unfriendly person. But other than that, my stay was good. Made a few friends here. Would have been nicer if they had more outlets and an oven for cooking.

Excellent hostel with plenty of hot water for the showers, comfortable beds, good quality coffee and reliable wifi. Good supermarkets nearby.

Location was awful as everyone recommends you go to the Old town to eat, drink and see Bilbao. Also it was still a 15/20 minute walk from the Guggenheim. Staff at reception were pleasant and helpful but the cleaner was very rude when barging into our dormitory, opening curtains and using a hoover when we were obviously all still asleep. It was midday and I'm aware she needs to clean but she could have been a lot more polite. No music and average age of people staying was double ours.

• 16th May 2014

Thanks for your review but we think that all the people can sleep in a hostel, doesn't matter about the age. We cant make a previous selection, and we dont want to. 15/20 minutes walk to the museum through the new city is a good thing for us :) We apologise about the noise during the cleaning, but in a shared room is necesary to clean everydays. Our cleaning time start at 12h, it is not so early. You reserved in a 10 bedroom and we put you in a 6 bedroom, so this is an good extra we think :)

Had a really nice stay here. The staff were really good and I liked how they went through the map with you on your arrival.

Gracias! thanks!

It was the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed at. The staff was really nice, and the rooms were comfortable with good size lockers. However there was only one outlet in a room with six people - maybe add a power strip? (We all have phones now a days that need charged). And it would have been nice to have some hostel-provided/recommended activities (tours, pub crawls, etc.). Also, it was a little far away from the city center.

• 2nd May 2014

Thankss for your comment! and we work to improve our hostel!

Very good staff -- we had to arrive in the middle of the night, and the receptionist stayed up for us. Extremely clean beds, great basic breakfast, good recommendations on where to go for the few hours we had the next morning. Helpful, friendly, basic, and exactly what we needed! We were there for all of 7 hours, though, so I can't be much of a judge for the overall atmosphere. Not noisy, crowded, or uncomfortable in any way, at least as far as I could see. Good value!

• 18th Apr 2014

Thankssss! gracias!!!

Good hostel, but a bit secluded. When I told one of the staff members (A) I had a few questions for her, she said she was "too busy preparing other things"! I think she's just incredibly lazy. However, another staff member, Lara has great energy and will make your stay a pleasure. Ion must have been smoking the peace pipe! I slept in a wonderful bed, and had a good breakfast. Great hot, strong shower (ground floor w/c) - 3rd one! Lots of leftover gel and shampoo, 'I can't fly'. Nice touch! :-)

Hi there! I am "the lazy" :-)) When you wanted to talk at 22:30 hours about Basque Country....I had to prepare the breakfast for another travellers who get up very early...so sorry! we love speaking! but you want to speak all timeee!!!!! :-)))))))