Billabong Gardens Reviews

5-11 Egan Street, Newtown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

We were very happy with our stay in Billabong Gardens, Newtown. The 3 bed private room, with private en suite bathroom, was clean, comfortable and had all the facilities needed. The Hostel was ideally located, just off the vibrant, King Street, Newtown, with very easy access by Train or Bus, to all the major attractions of Sydney. The Staff were very friendly and helpful in planning our travel around the city and we would definitely recommend Billabong Gardens as very Good Value for money

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Me and my bf stayed here for a few nights. The staff were pretty good - especially Max. Friendly and willing to answer any questions. The only thing I would point out is the atmosphere here....everyone does seem long term and all very clicky. It makes you feel a bit unwelcome and I can see other reviews say similar things. Newtown is quite a cool little suburb, just a few train stops from the centre. Over all the hostel is good but I'm sure there is better out there with a nicer atmosphere.

I really enjoyed the location of the hostel. It is located in Newtown with plenty of shops, restaurants, and cafe that are more on the alternative side. Very quite, off the beaten path spot. When I stayed several of the guests where working/looking for work and staying there for the long time. Slightly different vibes than just holiday travel. Otherwise it was an alright stay.

Most of the people are 18 - 25

• 23rd Dec 2013

If you want your food to be stolen everyday, just go there

Staff and location were excellent. Hostel was extremely worn and tired. I stayed in a shared bathroom dorm that was very worn out. En suite rooms appeared to be in slightly better shape. I swore after a couple of sweltering nights in dorm rooms in the Philippines never to stay in a non-A/C dorm again in a hot climate. DIdn't even think to check first in SYD; room was smoking hot at night, fans couldn't keep up, and open window/door let a swarm of mosquitoes in. Miserable.

• 23rd Dec 2013

It´s a little bit outside of the inner city in Sydney in Newtown. you need 30min to the central station by walk and there you can catch the free bus 555 to the main area of sydney. It was very good then after 11p.m. it was silent in the hostel.

My stay was good. The friendliness of the other people was awesome. The cleanliness of my room was very average. Not due to it being dirty as such, the other women were extremely untidy. If I was staying more than 2 days, I would have brought it up. I would stay again the next time I am in Sydney, thank you.

• 14th Dec 2013

Booked for a weekend, staying for a month - Í love it!

Newtown is a great area of Sydney to stay in, this hostel was hands down the best I stayed in in Sydney and the wider area around it. Cosy and clean!