Billabong Gardens Reviews

5-11 Egan Street, Newtown, Sydney, Australia

Matt was the only friendly staff member. Other staff at the reception were quite rude, lazy and needed training in customer service skills. I know that it isn't 5 star quality but in any hospitality industry, customer service goes a long way. I also found there was a lack of communication and/or of organisation between staff members. I arranged late check-out on my day of arrival, however, this was not noted and we received a knock at the door asking why we hadn't checked out.

Amazing location. literally a 30 second walk from all the cool bars/cafes and restaurants. definitely coming back!

• 31st May 2014

We spent two nights at Billabong Hostel, perfect for our needs, excellent location just off King Street. Our private room with ensuite was great, a little musty but nice and clean. Would definitely stay again.

• 30th May 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. It was a little noisy, but i think the sound travelled easily down the balcony. In future i may request to be away from the room with the baby and loud parents.There is not always someone available at the desk,but when they were they were helpful. My only thing i could suggest is updating the directions from the airport. We wanted to get public transport not a taxi, it is not explained that you need to change trains at central and how.

We were very happy with our stay here. Max was an excellent help providing advice on EVERYTHING! He was also very gracious and patient with our million questions. Thanks Max for helping us fully maximize our short stay in Sydney.

Nice hostel in a hip suburb. You walk out the door and have a huge offer of very good food, bars and interesting stores. I can definitely recommend!

The hostel is about a 45min walk from the city but it's worth staying here. There's plenty of restaurants and shops so you won't to hungry. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We were upgraded for two nights for free - nice! The hostel is designed in a way that it encourages you to be sociable. I definitely recommend this place.

Good hostel in a good location. If you are early sleeper, remember to bring your earplugs. Kitchen was ok. Reception staff was nice and helpful.

We were very happy with our stay in Billabong Gardens, Newtown. The 3 bed private room, with private en suite bathroom, was clean, comfortable and had all the facilities needed. The Hostel was ideally located, just off the vibrant, King Street, Newtown, with very easy access by Train or Bus, to all the major attractions of Sydney. The Staff were very friendly and helpful in planning our travel around the city and we would definitely recommend Billabong Gardens as very Good Value for money

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Nice hostel & staff. Clean rooms and we even had a shower & toilet in our dorm (4 person). The only complaint I have is that the common room was closed during late hours.

Me and my bf stayed here for a few nights. The staff were pretty good - especially Max. Friendly and willing to answer any questions. The only thing I would point out is the atmosphere here....everyone does seem long term and all very clicky. It makes you feel a bit unwelcome and I can see other reviews say similar things. Newtown is quite a cool little suburb, just a few train stops from the centre. Over all the hostel is good but I'm sure there is better out there with a nicer atmosphere.

I really enjoyed the location of the hostel. It is located in Newtown with plenty of shops, restaurants, and cafe that are more on the alternative side. Very quite, off the beaten path spot. When I stayed several of the guests where working/looking for work and staying there for the long time. Slightly different vibes than just holiday travel. Otherwise it was an alright stay.