Billie's Backpackers Hostel Reviews

2895 Mack Blvd, Fairbanks, USA

The hostel is run by lovely, informative and helpful people. Rooms are clean and cosy, but there are no lockers or keys to the rooms. The lounge is great (feels like home) and facilitates meeting interesting travelers and make some good food in the well supplied kitchen. Showers and bathrooms are good, towels are provided and water is hot and stable (hot water pressure is not something you take for granted in Alaska :o)). The computer station didn't work but WiFi was very good in the lounge.

I absolutely loved it here! The staff was very nice and helpful, and it was very clean!

• 25th May 2015

Old couples are very nice there and they have two very cute dogs! And u don't even lock the door during the sleeping time. Things are awesome there! I will go there if I am back fairbanks!

• 15th Mar 2015
  • China

I really like the host! Environment and people are good too! Enjoy your holiday!

• 10th Mar 2015
  • China

The location is excellent to see the lights. Billie is like a grandma, the hostel is so clean, if I come back of course I will stay there again.

• 4th Mar 2015

Billies place was conveniently located to everything in Fairbanks. Close to the University and downtown. Billie was so sweet and provided everything that I needed both in the house and information about Fairbanks. I will be staying here again. I got to see the Aurora from the front porch. So sweet. If anyone could leave a negative review about this place, they probably are not respective of other people and/or need a life adjustment.

• 11th Feb 2015

Billie was awesome as mentioned by other reviewers. Locations was the biggest issue, but the bus service is good in the area. On the other hand, since the hostel is a little far away from the city lights it's a good place for aurora viewing, just stop by the lake north of the hostel.

Very nice environment, not too far from University of Fairbanks, and close to the Bus Red Line. however, not exactly close to downtown so you will need to take a bus

• 22nd Dec 2014

Billie, the owner for the last 4 decades was friendly enough but refuses alcohol on the premises and you must not talk in the dorms at any time, which is a little strange. Generally the atmosphere is good as is the type of clientele. However there is one major fault with this hostel. There is only two bathrooms (with toilet and shower together) for all the main dorm areas. Terribly inconvenient having to wait a long time to have a shower or take a dump.

The stay was pleasant and staff very kind and helpful. The only think I did not like was the information about the price of canoexkayak trip. I was told that the price is supposed to be 10-15CAD or if I am single around 20CAD and after an hour of kayaking I was asked to pay 37,50CAD!!! That was really unbeliavable! So please be aware that if you go kayaking and you are single it will cost you a bunch of money! Worth only in a group. Then the price is 10-15CAD.

so sorry about the info on the canoe / kyak trip, but we do not book those trips, so maybe you should review those people on their own sites..

funky-hippy place

I stayed at the hostel for a night and loved it. Billie (the owner) is a very caring and a beautiful lady - she came across like a protective and a loving mother figure. The hostel's atmosphere was very nice, warm and friendly - feels like home. I highly recommend this place to all other budget travelers like myself.

thoroughly enjoyed our stay at billies she was very helpful and accomodating the hostel had a lovely feel about it met lovely people no lock out which was great would definately recommend billies.

This is what hosteling is all about. Meeting people from all walks of life regardless of age, education, income or background. I'm temped to start my own. Billie is a true house mother and host. Goes out of her way to help those staying at her house. Loved Fairbanks and the people there as well. I nominate this hostel as the best I've ever stayed.

Try staying in the Teepee or the glass house.

• 1st Aug 2013

A perfect stay, Billie is friendly and helpful, and the house is charming and not too big. The best (I want to say) and (possibly) cheapest place in the world to see the northern lights :):)

Very good atmosphere- like a home really. Friendly other guests. Nice dogs. Decent facilities. Good location close to bus routes to town centre but far enough away to see the aurora. Billie is accomodating and helpful.

a great place to stay in fairbank

Great little hostel. We arrived late at night, just called the owner (who is very nice and helpful) on the phone in the porch and she came right out and get us settled in. Its really more of a converted house than a purpose built hostel. Does what it says on the tin, would stay again.

Hi Hostelworld Team It was a great place to stay. Billie is a perfect host, you feel from the first minute you step in like home. There are staying very nice longterm-guest which given really good information too like Billie and her daughter does. Beautiful place and friendly other travellers. And also I met the oldest backpackers on the world - Bill and Sara from Sydney Australia. I will always go back when I'm in Fairbanks again.

• 11th Oct 2012