Birmingham Central Backpackers Reviews

58 Milk Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, England

The location, staff, atmosphere were excellent. I would stay here in the future. I just did not like bed sheets as they looked a bit dirty.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Azerbaijan

Nice, quirky place. The location is a bit industry but only 5 minutes walk to the city centre.

A very friendly welcome and helpful with what we needed.

As always, a good palce to stay

I was traveling by myself and the area was shady and dank!!! I didn't feel safe at all!!! The staff were alright, but they have people qho have been living there for a while and there weren't friendly at all. So don't bother staying here. Included breakfast was the only good thing. Ps. Bed bugs!

This is fairly a nice hostel, located within walking distance from the city centre. Its staff and atmosphere are great, as well as their breakfast with fruits and different jams. The rooms and bathrooms are alright, but be aware that lockers are located by the reception only and not in the rooms. Besides, one needs a code to get into the rooms' area and the room itself, which is great, but since the room door doesn't lock automatically, this safety measure isn't quite effective.

Birmingham Central backbackers would have to be one of the worst hostels we have stayed in so far.. The beds were okay but in a whole separate building. All the other guests staying there were middle aged seem like they lived there, one in particular who went out of his way to make you feel very unwelcome and unsafe. The showers smelt of mould and the toilets were worse than public toilets. The kitchen and the breakfast were the only positives. Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying here.

I booked a bed in a 8 bed dormitory with ensuite bathroom. For this hostel ensuite bathroom means a sink and shower INSIDE the room, without any kind of privacy, so I had to go outside the room and use the shared toilets. The hostel needs a refurbish, the mattresses are really uncomfortable.

Very nice hostel with very friendly staff.

Staff could be more inviting and friendly. They are polite and proper. Not very forthcoming with extra info a guest may want. The room itself did not seem to be cleaned while I was staying there. Floor felt sandy. The drawers of the bedside cupboard were filthy. Old dirty glass inside, food packages, crumbs and dirt. One drawer had two old stained garments left by some previous guest. Luckily I did not spend much time there so it did not bother me too much but I likely won't be returning.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • South Africa

I reserved 3 beds in the same bedroom, more or less 3 months before my stay. When we arrived, there were only two beds available and the staff did not know which one should not be there. So, a guy arrived and he expelled my friend from a bed. A person in the staff said us that someone should have moved to another bedroom, but they could not do anything that time and one of we should leave. I could not believe and I did not accept that. UNPREPARED STAFF

• 5th Jul 2014

very good, easy stay with no problems, staff were friendly and helpful and I felt safe and secure in the room - defo recommend

• 27th Jun 2014

It was amazing. It looked and felt like a really close place. We thought that the common room was especially great and that our room was a good size and we had everything we needed. Everyone there were so friendly and the staff were really helpful. I would tell anyone who was going there to stay in this hostel.

My padlock didn't fit the lockers and they had none on hand at the desk. So make sure you have a small padlock that can fit a narrow hole. Location doesn't look great, but it's a very short walk from the main road. Nothing was too luxurious but I got what I needed. Free breakfast was appreciated greatly.

The toilets were filthy and the showers were horrible

• 17th Jun 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

A quiet little place. Seemed like there is only one shower between i don't know how many people... People in the room up till 3 in the morning on computers and then would sleep all day. Very close to a National Express bus station and only a short walk to the Bullring.

Excellent place. Very close to the Coach Station, just what I needed.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • Hungary

I have stopped in many hostels all over the world and this was my least enjoyable stay, mainly due to the staff, they were not welcoming in the slightest and generally had a negative attitude.

• 9th Jun 2014

Nothing special about Birmingham or this hostel, skip it if you can. Area the hostel is located is a s#%¥ hole, feels dangerous

A bit outdated and lacking atmosphere but it is Ok for the price. Central although located in a dark/empty street. The staff were polite.