Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

Very helpful staff

• 20th Mar 2015

Friendly staff, room was nice and clean, very original with the themes for the rooms, breafast okay, room for the car, location good.

Booked a twin room here for one night as there was a conference on at Cologne Messe and the hotels were all asking for silly money. One of the nicest hostels I have stayed in. Friendly staff, all the facilities you need, nice atmosphere. Not that central but handy enough for the S-bahn. Would definitely stay here again.

Arrived late and only stayed one night. The guy who checked us in (lad with the ponytail) seemed really nice and ready to help. 20-25 mins walk to the main squares/shops. Let us keep our luggage there all day after checking out.

I loved this hostel, had a very homely feel. The free breakfast was good. The showers (very clean) maybe needed better screening? The beds with privacy curtains were excellent. The staff very friendly.

I had a great time at the black sheep hostel, the staff was super nice and helpfull and the room super convenient. Not to mention the very nice location in the city.

• 27th Feb 2015

I loved this hostel. It was right next to a trolley stop so getting around was easy. The staff was so welcoming and the atmosphere of the hostel was great. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Cologne!

• 30th Dec 2014

Although rather old, the Black Sheep hostel benefit from a smooth atmosphere. Dorms are spacious and the kitchen is free of use. Bathrooms could have looked a bit cleaner though. Nonetheless the staff arranged for our late arrival and gave us all useful information, which was really appreciated! The hostel is 4 tramway stops away from the center so you can jump there quite easily!

Nice and simple hostel. Everything was clean, and the rooms being themed was a nice touch. Bit of a walk from main station

The staff were extremely helpful. Free towel offered, but it is too small for a normal person. You can rent a towel for €1 or €2. Not a party hostel. The Women Dorm has two outlets per bed cubicle. The other room I stayed in had three outlets per two beds, but two were used for reading lamps, so that was inconvenient. Free lockers with key access. No complaint on noise level. Breakfast is modest. Free spaghetti noodle pasta. Note on directions: "Hauptbahnhof" is abbreviated to "Hbf" on ticket.

The Hostel is okey. Clean enough, but only 2 small shower cabins.

I'm surprised how much I liked this hostel, even though it's rather plain (like a university dorm). There was alot of space in the rooms and hallways, and the common room was cozy. Breakfast was generous -- thanks for the muesli ! By the standards of other European cities it would seem too pricey, but by Cologne standards it was good value for money, given the location (near the Belgian quarter and shopping centers, but also not too far from the hip Ehrenfeld district.

Felt like home!

A very cosy hostel with it's own vibe. We arrived later then the reception was open but it was no problem to sort it out. showers and toilets were very clean compare to a lot of other hostels I have stayed in. Staff very helpful and nice.

except the location, everything is fine. but it is proper price. the most important thing is...bad location.

Good place to stay. I enjoyed my stay. Only neg was my bed had bugs

Great rooms but the overall decor badly needs an update - the kitchen facilities are good but old, and the hallway decorations are kitschy but a bit preschool. Bathrooms were good, except for occasional flooding from shower curtains not being positioned in the right place. Location was a bit out of the city centre but tram was incredibly close. Lots of supermarkets and stores around. Biggest complaint is the internet! Only available in rooms and very prone to dropping out/crawling speeds.