Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

Fantastic hostel, so friendly and has that amazing neighbourly atmosphere, very clean, large rooms, lovely people. Could not ask for more and will definitely come back here again.

• 17th Feb 2014

If you're a person, don't stay here!!! The people who stay here are generally students who move to Rotterdam and are only staying until they find more permanent accom. Hence, the atmosphere sucks. The facilities also suck. I found it super creepy that the owner provides a small bowl of tampons in the female toilets. He also walks straight into the female only dorms after knocking once and leaving no time for a response. There's no need for him to go into female only dorms at all.Never again EVER

The staff were very nice and helpful, the rooms were creatively decorated, and there were nice kitchen facilities and a lounge room. The location is a bit removed from the center of town, but there's a tram stop right next to the hostel. I didn't really use it during my stay, however, since I found the distance to the cathedral quite walkable. Overall, a pleasant and recommendable place.

The location was well connected to transport and close to city but hard to find. Only one small sign. Staff were very friendly and helpful! The free breakfast was a nice addition and adequate. Downside was probably the wifi. It had a very limited range and was out for large periods of time. Small but clean rooms.

This is a great hostel. The atmosphere and staff are great. I'm looking forward to return next year.

The overall of the hostel is good. Two things that i do not really like are the wall and poor wifi. The wall seems to be so thin, so you can hear everything from your neighbors, especially when they are talking at terrace.

The people were nice, and they have a kitchen - which is great. But everything is quite filthy. I really tried to avoid the showers, but one can't just not shower for three days. I met some nice people and it was not that expensive. The lockers were very tiny though. I would recommend it to people who do not need for a place to be clean, but like to talk to other people and cook.

I stayed here one night and had an enjoyable stay. The staff were wonderful and incredibly helpful. As others have stated, the WiFi was wonky. Facilities were clean and the breakfast was simple but decent. I loved the location and that it was in a great area and not too far a walk from the city center. Another plus was that the hostel was very easy to find. It's right in front of the U-Bahn stop, above the McDonald's.

Nice place. Good location. Staff are nice.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Pretty clean hostel and a nice and helpfull staff. Nice common room, where you can even sit and relax after your night out. The common room is a "WiFi free zone" though, but hey: who cares? Too bad the WiFi signal wasn't always that strong in the room (sometimes no WiFi at all). Then again: for me it was no problem, but for some other travellers it might be. If you go by car, ask the staff where to park. You can park your car for € 4,- a day within a 5 minute walking distance.

Good location, however: - When I returned the first night to the hostel, I found out that somebody was lying in my bed (of which I had put the linnens earlier in the afternoon !). The same happened to my friend. Clearly there was either a double booking by the personnel or some people should get in the hostel for free... - ....And this second option might be the most realistic as during the second night of our stay thiefs entered into our room and stole valuables. Nobody saw anything...

Im travel for long time by myself and this is one of the un-friendly hostel that ive been. I found my self all the time alone. The staff they not seems like people that like to talk , maybe answer your questions but nothing more. People live there (nice people) but still they want their one privaty . Some old people host their and not speak at all. I must say that the place - clean,very nice locatian and its ok to stay there (just sleep) but you not gonne enjoy your staying there

The bedroom was good but the kitchen was vert dirty.

• 25th Oct 2013