Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

We loved the hostel from the second we entered. First of all we had to come later than reception closes but when we informed them they gave us the door code and left us clean sheaths with the door key. Has a very original and cute decoration. There is a kitchen quite well equipped and a basic breakfast. Rooms and bathrooms are clean.

Upon getting there, you expect it to be a bit rundown because of the building. it is definitely rundown but I met some fantastic people there and it seemed like a great hostel for younger people. it's a bit dirty and the common room is really small, but overall I was happy with the experience.

If you really like sheep this is the place to be, lots of sheep pictures and things :L Overall great place. Kitchens good, met a lot of people, wifi doesn't work in the common room but it does in the bedrooms. Breakfast is good. Everything included. The beds are great as are the staff. 30minute walk from the station but the hostel is right next to the metro and this is essentially free if your careful, no barriers

Great atmosphere in the common room, met lots of other backpackers. Staff were very friendly.

My room was quite near to the common terrace for smoking and talking, and the' loudly exciting conversation' there during night after 11pm made it very hard for me to get asleep. The staff was very kind and helpful. The kitchen was awesome, and the breakfast could be really various and great.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • China

I spent one night at this hostel and found it pleasant. Bunk beds have curtains which gives a sense of privacy and if you want to have your light on, you wont be bothering others. Each person has their own key for entering the room, but the door doesn't lock automatically and if your roommates don't lock the door, then anyone can go into the room! However, because entering the building requires a pass code and there are lockers in the room, I didn't worry much about my belingings.

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Iran

Such a great place! The room was homey and had a lot of character, with individual plug sockets, lights, curtains, which was fantastic in a room of 8! The hostel has everything a traveller would expect, and is in a convenient location for getting to the main sights and local to going out. Not pristinely clean and not run in a super official manner, but none of this was a major problem or detracted from how nice the place was. Definitely a great place for travellers stopping in Köln!

The best part about this hostel was the different themed rooms and how there was a curtain to block out the light! The location was very close to the centre and the staff was friendly. Breakfast was basic: bread, jam, tea, coffee and cereal. It can get a bit noisy at night and in the morning if your room is facing the main street.

Everything about the hostel is fine. The bathrooms are big and clean and everything works well. There is a kitchen available and a terasse. The only issue is the noise. Our room faced the street and with the window open it was almost too loud to sleep. There was also construction going on which didn't help. With the window closed it was way too hot. Not my first choice but not a bad place either if you do go!

Only stayed a night so couldn't really tell if the atmosphere was good - it was a hot day so many people were out. At the time there was a school trip (?) staying so breakfast time was very busy in the small common room/kitchen. There is only one reception at a time so had to wait a bit on check in/out, but he was super helpful and had no problem changing my booking from 3 to 1 night (I gave 24 hours notice). Just bear in mind it's in pretty central so could be noisy when windows are opened.

The hostel was right in the university bar district so great if you love that. But it is very LOUD and extremely hot even with the windows open. Slow wifi, and the free breakfast is small and in a very small kitchen/common room. Also nothing was locked except the front door to get in. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Very noisy location and clientele. I had to leave after one sleepless night

Located on Barbarossaplatz which is a good transportation hub though far from the Dom and Altstadt. Rooms are basic with metal bunks and convenient small lockers. Bathrooms and showers are on the corridor. I stayed here at a weekend and was surprised by how expensive it was, maybe there was a special event in the city.Kitchen/common room were average. Wifi worked well. Staff were helpful and the atmosphere was quirky, with lots of sheep. I would stay there again.

The women's dorm was very cozy. It was a great hostel. One thing that bothered me was that there was no microwave. That's it.

While the gentleman at the front desk was amazing, he seemed to be the only worker there most times so it did feel as though he was constantly working and maybe they'd have been better off with a larger on-site staff. Also, there was a break-in while I was there with many guests having items stolen so it is very hard for me to recommend this hostel until greater security measures are taken such as installing a security camera in the lobby and making the doors auto-lock.

• 15th Jun 2015

Only stayed for one night and was good. We had a twin private and we're allowed to help ourselves to toast and cereal in the morning which was cool. Thanks.

I spent one night in Black Sheep Hostel in 8 people mixed dorm and it was all good. Hostel is quiet big and nice. Stuff was super friendly and there was breakfast in the morning. Beds are so large and comfy. I think only issue is the hostel is not located in a very central location, although there is a tram station just in front of it that takes you to the Dom. Anyway, enjoyed it in overall.

Poor facilities in the room..there were no hangers for our clothes and towels,not even a shelf to put them on..Door at the smoking terrace was broken...Bed linen when washed,they were hang to dry out in the smoking area,and hang on the dirty floor. No seats in the corridor/common area.People were sitting on the floor in order to get connected to the wifi. Poor breakfast. Found mold in the bread.

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Greece

Stayed in the female only dorm and it was very clean and tidy. Comfy bed with curtain so you had privacy. Sheets and blankets clean and comfy. Clean bathrooms and friendly staff. I never had the breakfast nor did it look like anything great. I'd definitely recommend staying here. It's clean and a good location.

• 27th May 2015

Last minute booking and probably not the best decision I've ever made. Beds were great, bad news though security is not great. Some random Turkish bloke just strolled on in and opened the curtains on people beds etc. really lacking in that regard. Also the room is noisy as hell, due to the trams which run outside which is a nightmare and does a great job of keeping you up!