Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

The hostel is in front a tram station so it is toooooooo noisy... Even if you put ear plugs you can hear every time a tram is going by. The hostel is basicly 10 rooms and a kitchen, that is living room as well. Too small for so many people. Breakfeast is fine, wifi is good.

I spent three night at the Black Sheep hostel over Easter an had a great time. The hostel isn't anything fancy but it has everything you need and there was a great atmosphere. Everyone was really friendly and I met a lot of people I hope to stay in touch with. The location is great and a free breakfast until 12pm is always great, especially if you've been out the night before...

I really love the idea of privacy curtain that are attached to each bed! They make such a difference. The hostel was a bit off the main area but it wasn't too far to walk, and the fact that it was right opposite the U-Bahn just made me forgot about its location completely. There were also so many bars and shops around and it was really convenient. The atmosphere was also cozy and homely! Only one down was that the fridge was a bit smelly and not actually cold but otherwise I loved my stay.

The hostel sign is very small and thus very difficult to find when you arrive by car. We drove around the barbarossaplatz for 45 min, because we just could not find it.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very helpful staff

• 20th Mar 2015

Friendly staff, room was nice and clean, very original with the themes for the rooms, breafast okay, room for the car, location good.

Booked a twin room here for one night as there was a conference on at Cologne Messe and the hotels were all asking for silly money. One of the nicest hostels I have stayed in. Friendly staff, all the facilities you need, nice atmosphere. Not that central but handy enough for the S-bahn. Would definitely stay here again.

Arrived late and only stayed one night. The guy who checked us in (lad with the ponytail) seemed really nice and ready to help. 20-25 mins walk to the main squares/shops. Let us keep our luggage there all day after checking out.

I loved this hostel, had a very homely feel. The free breakfast was good. The showers (very clean) maybe needed better screening? The beds with privacy curtains were excellent. The staff very friendly.

I had a great time at the black sheep hostel, the staff was super nice and helpfull and the room super convenient. Not to mention the very nice location in the city.

• 27th Feb 2015

I loved this hostel. It was right next to a trolley stop so getting around was easy. The staff was so welcoming and the atmosphere of the hostel was great. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Cologne!

• 30th Dec 2014

Although rather old, the Black Sheep hostel benefit from a smooth atmosphere. Dorms are spacious and the kitchen is free of use. Bathrooms could have looked a bit cleaner though. Nonetheless the staff arranged for our late arrival and gave us all useful information, which was really appreciated! The hostel is 4 tramway stops away from the center so you can jump there quite easily!

Nice and simple hostel. Everything was clean, and the rooms being themed was a nice touch. Bit of a walk from main station

The staff were extremely helpful. Free towel offered, but it is too small for a normal person. You can rent a towel for €1 or €2. Not a party hostel. The Women Dorm has two outlets per bed cubicle. The other room I stayed in had three outlets per two beds, but two were used for reading lamps, so that was inconvenient. Free lockers with key access. No complaint on noise level. Breakfast is modest. Free spaghetti noodle pasta. Note on directions: "Hauptbahnhof" is abbreviated to "Hbf" on ticket.

The Hostel is okey. Clean enough, but only 2 small shower cabins.

I'm surprised how much I liked this hostel, even though it's rather plain (like a university dorm). There was alot of space in the rooms and hallways, and the common room was cozy. Breakfast was generous -- thanks for the muesli ! By the standards of other European cities it would seem too pricey, but by Cologne standards it was good value for money, given the location (near the Belgian quarter and shopping centers, but also not too far from the hip Ehrenfeld district.

Felt like home!

A very cosy hostel with it's own vibe. We arrived later then the reception was open but it was no problem to sort it out. showers and toilets were very clean compare to a lot of other hostels I have stayed in. Staff very helpful and nice.

except the location, everything is fine. but it is proper price. the most important thing is...bad location.