Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

I liked the place and I liked the area. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would likely stay here again so give it it a try!

• 6th Feb 2016

Staff is super nice, giving you a tour when you arrive! Beds are comfy, nice atmosphere, and not a bad distance from the center! Cleanliness is top notch!

There was supposed to be breakfast at 0800, but there was no breakfast! The reception was supposed to open at 0800 but didn't until 0900 and folks had to wait to check out.

The breakfast was very basic. The good thing is that they have a smoking area. The staff is very friendly, they helped me in printing my stuff and also let me check in early as I reached there direct from Koln Airport.

Despite looking rather like a prison from the outside, this hostel is great inside with lovely rooms and is situated a couple of tram stops from the Dom and in the student district with lots of fun bars, full of locals rather than tourists. In particular we stayed in the female dorm. Beds were really comfy and each person had a curtain to pull across at night which gave some privacy. Excellent hostel and excellent value for money!

-cool beds, comfortable, well look, curtains and feet for each bed;-) -nice staff -cool mood (old furniture), warmly

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Poland

We missed our flight to Venice and went to Germany instead. We found a hostel but wanted a cheaper one for the rest of our stay. We found black sheep hostel very cheap and cheerful. Shared kitchen facilities which makes it very homely and easy to chat and make friends. Everyone's in the same boat so i just love the atmosphere of hostels rather than hotels. And the rooms safe and all painted different. I will definitely come back if I'm in Cologne again :-)

• 14th Nov 2015

Such an odd little place - hand written notes everywhere telling you the rules over and over again, written from the perspective of an angry housemate who's annoyed that you're not washing up after yourself. (Genuinely - so many notes). The building was pretty run down. Even after apparent 'cleaning' the toilets reeked of piss and shit. Whatever you just did - i guarantee you didn't clean them. Grim.

We had a great stay! The free breakfast is'nt great but does the job. Toilets, shower, beds and lockers were good.

• 30th Oct 2015

女性ドームで、部屋はかわいいけどダニが出てめっちゃ噛まれた。 wifiは部屋で使えないので皆廊下に座って使用してる。 朝ごはんが12時までフリーなのと、フリーフードが豊富! 洗濯も2ユーロでできる!

Breakfast was very basic. Lockers are small and it's 15 minutes on train to Cologne. It did the job though.

Should have one locker for each bunk Mens room always smelled strongly of urine, floors should be mopped more thoroughly and/or more often

• 19th Sep 2015

I had a very good experience at the Black Sheep Hostel over a weekend. Staff is uncomplicated. The dorms are very cosy, each bed comes with a curtain, and your own lamp, so you have your privacy in the dorm. The kitchen is a great meeting place, and bathrooms are fairly clean. The people staying, mostly a very young crowd was very open and talkative, so that you won't stay alone very long in case you feel like socializing with others and chatting in the kitchen's living room area.

Decent stay. It's not too far from the station so it was easy to get to, lots of bars in the area. Wifi is hit or miss and doesn't work in the common area/kitchen. Not as social as other hostels but still has a good atmosphere.

Very cute hipster place! Good value for money and above a mc Donald's so pro and con

The friendliest hostel I've ever been. The staff is great and the hostel is very clean. I totally recommend it!

• 8th Sep 2015

The main entrance works with a code. The rooms have a key. Its about 10-15 min walking to the center. The staff is helpful and friendly. The common room has no wi-fi (for socializing) but you have in the rooms (not the fastest one though). The breakfast is nice (bread, butter, mermelade, milk, coffee). The rooms are spacious enough to place your stuff and they have the lockers inside.

It was a fine hostel. Wifi wasn't great and not a ton of atmosphere but it's near a really nice park.

We loved the hostel from the second we entered. First of all we had to come later than reception closes but when we informed them they gave us the door code and left us clean sheaths with the door key. Has a very original and cute decoration. There is a kitchen quite well equipped and a basic breakfast. Rooms and bathrooms are clean.