Black Sheep Hostel Reviews

Barbarossaplatz 1, Cologne, Germany

A really cosy and comfortable hostel, in a good location near to trams and ubahn. Reasonably priced and well equipped, we had a good stay here, meeting a lot of nice people. Security would be our only issue - there was nobody on reception past 11pm, and a lot of people seemed to know the building code. But overall, a pleasant stay in Cologne.

Place was great, had a kitchen and terrace where people could hang out. The place was clean and beds had curtains so there was some privacy too. Location was excellent could walk everywhere and it was really easy to get to the hostel from train lines etc. The staff were also super friendly. Definetly recommend.

The room was well renovated, large and airy. Very good value for the price. Handy to everything.

Generally excellent experience. Location is great for going out - I especially recommend the Metronom jazz bar a few minutes walk away, or the Meister Gerhard tapas bar at Rathenauplatz 8. Staff were super friendly and were very quick to resolve a plumbing problem one morning. As always, bring earplugs and eyemasks: our room faced onto a busy street with train tracks.

• 2nd May 2015

Didn't seem a hostel. Was more like a holiday camp. For the rate/price it has, it wasn't what we expected at all.

This was the worst hostel we stayed at in Europe. The facilities are old, the beds suck. The first night no lights in the women's restroom worked (they were fixed after I told a staff member). The bathrooms weren't so bad though and were clean. The kitchen was dirty and didn't make me want to make a meal here. As for our room, the only "cleaning" I saw happen was a staff member came and opened a window in the morning to get some fresh air in. It was a weird place with a weird vibe.

The hostel is in front a tram station so it is toooooooo noisy... Even if you put ear plugs you can hear every time a tram is going by. The hostel is basicly 10 rooms and a kitchen, that is living room as well. Too small for so many people. Breakfeast is fine, wifi is good.

I spent three night at the Black Sheep hostel over Easter an had a great time. The hostel isn't anything fancy but it has everything you need and there was a great atmosphere. Everyone was really friendly and I met a lot of people I hope to stay in touch with. The location is great and a free breakfast until 12pm is always great, especially if you've been out the night before...

I really love the idea of privacy curtain that are attached to each bed! They make such a difference. The hostel was a bit off the main area but it wasn't too far to walk, and the fact that it was right opposite the U-Bahn just made me forgot about its location completely. There were also so many bars and shops around and it was really convenient. The atmosphere was also cozy and homely! Only one down was that the fridge was a bit smelly and not actually cold but otherwise I loved my stay.

The hostel sign is very small and thus very difficult to find when you arrive by car. We drove around the barbarossaplatz for 45 min, because we just could not find it.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very helpful staff

• 20th Mar 2015

It was pretty good.

Friendly staff, room was nice and clean, very original with the themes for the rooms, breafast okay, room for the car, location good.

Booked a twin room here for one night as there was a conference on at Cologne Messe and the hotels were all asking for silly money. One of the nicest hostels I have stayed in. Friendly staff, all the facilities you need, nice atmosphere. Not that central but handy enough for the S-bahn. Would definitely stay here again.

Arrived late and only stayed one night. The guy who checked us in (lad with the ponytail) seemed really nice and ready to help. 20-25 mins walk to the main squares/shops. Let us keep our luggage there all day after checking out.

I loved this hostel, had a very homely feel. The free breakfast was good. The showers (very clean) maybe needed better screening? The beds with privacy curtains were excellent. The staff very friendly.

I had a great time at the black sheep hostel, the staff was super nice and helpfull and the room super convenient. Not to mention the very nice location in the city.

• 27th Feb 2015

I loved this hostel. It was right next to a trolley stop so getting around was easy. The staff was so welcoming and the atmosphere of the hostel was great. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Cologne!

• 30th Dec 2014

Although rather old, the Black Sheep hostel benefit from a smooth atmosphere. Dorms are spacious and the kitchen is free of use. Bathrooms could have looked a bit cleaner though. Nonetheless the staff arranged for our late arrival and gave us all useful information, which was really appreciated! The hostel is 4 tramway stops away from the center so you can jump there quite easily!