Blue Parrot Backpackers Reviews

87 Macleay Street, Potts Point, Sydney, Australia

The only hostel I would stay at whilst visiting Sydney...well located, clean and comfortable rooms, however it is the hospitality of the owners Effie & Sasha, that makes this a stand out. Great atmosphere and an easy place to meet fellow travellers. I highly recommend the Blue Parrot

Had a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people, location and hostel itself was very nice too, even though it may be a bit pricy, it's totally worth it!

• 10th Dec 2014

It's a lovely place to stay if you're keen on both: a familiar and chilled atmosphere in the hostel and the great offers of Sydney's nightlife around the hostel! Especially the two hostel managers, Sasha and Effie, do their very best to make your stay an unforgetable one! Fell in love with this place!

• 8th Dec 2014

I loved my stay at the blue parrot! It feels like home, and has a nice atmosphere. No frills, but they have everything you need. Wifi is slow but free so I can't complain too much. All the stores and shops you need are right there. Thanks blue parrot!

You will have read how this hostel is just like a big family, and it's true! There's no more than about 50 guests and everyone gets to know everyone. A nice chilled atmosphere. The Thursday night pub crawl was great. If I were to be really picky there's a a slight lack of shared showers and the bunks are a bit cheap and squeaky. Would definitely recommend to others and would stay again.

everything was perfect...Very clean...if i need to go to a hostel again in Sydney i will definitely go back to Blue parrot ;) Thanks guys... Eddie

• 20th Nov 2014

Perhaps the most fun I've had in any of a number of hostels and certainly the most friendly place I've stayed. I could see myself spending days in that lounge watching so much tv or in the courtyard telling travel stories for weeks on end.

• 10th Nov 2014

I wouldn't recommed staying at this hostel. There were too many rules, the backyard closes at 10pm every night and the common areas inside are not that spacious (just the kitchen and dining area TV room). Not a good hostel for party people since there are really strict rules about drinking in the hostel (no drinking in the dorms, no drinking games, no drinking past 11pm and can't be drunk in the hostel).Also the kitchen was quite small. Pros: The staff was friendly and you get free fast wifi

We're glad you liked the fast free WiFi & staff but we're sad to hear you wouldn't recommend us. We understand you're 18 years old & want to party but some rules help the hostel run smoothly & are there for travellers to respect each others’ experience since some people like to sleep early & some like to party. We do take the party guests out to bars & clubs every night! We asked you to join us but you refused :-( The backyard closure times are Council regulations applying to most hostels.

Good stay as always

Hi Blue Parrot Team! Thanks a lot for your hospitality! It was my first experience in a youth hostel, and I'll keep for a long time this nice place in Sydney! Very clean, with nice people, always smiling, what a pleasure to spend this week with all of you! I think come back in May, when I'lI move for France! Merci beaucpup les filles, you are great, really. Bye! :) Nathan

The staff at Blue Parrot were so friendly and helpful in suggesting sights to see and how to get there. This was my first time staying at a hostel and I chose the 10 female dorm, not knowing what it would be like. But all the girls were so friendly and very respectful. It made my stay that more memorable and enjoyable. The internet in the common room was a bit slow, but I connected my phone to the wifi and it was very fast. Overall a very pleasant experience! Would definitely recommend it.

• 9th Oct 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback. We often get people staying at a hostel for their first time since we are small & friendly hostel and take care of our guests so they don't get overwhelmed like they might do in a bigger hostel. Sorry that you thought the internet in the common room was a bit slow. It is the same internet throughout the hostel which is the fastest cable internet you can get in Australia, and it's free :-) Hope to see you here again, happy travels!

One of the cleanest hostel I have been to. There was a French guy cleaning everything in the morning, and the kitchen was supplied with everything to cook and have a relaxed night in the lounge room perfect for short or long stay. The staff is helpful and the owners- two girls - know what a backpacker need. Free wifi for real.

Loved my stay at Blue Parrot. Hostel is kept very clean, only complaint is sometimes they move your stuff around in the room to tidy. Staff was very friendly and would hang out with you. TV room with tons of movies, kitchen/dining area and back patio are all great places to chill and make friends. Free wifi throughout hostel. Hardly ever a wait for the shower/toilets. A lot of people staying there have jobs but you'll find people going out each night. Would definitely recommend!

Thank you Sarah, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and are glad you loved the Blue Parrot! We understand your only complaint was that we sometimes move stuff around in the room to tidy. As you know cleanliness is important to us so we sometimes have to gently move big bags under the beds so we can vacuum the floor otherwise it would be impossible for us to do a good cleaning job if we vacuumed only around the bags. We hope to see you again! Happy travels :-) xx Effie + Sasha

Really enjoyed my stay at Blue Parrot Backpackers, such a friendly relaxed atmosphere with excellent staff, thank you!!

• 20th Sep 2014
  • Zimbabwe

Great hostel if you want to visit Sydney. It's not a party hostel.

Blue parrots is a small and cozy hostel is a fun neighbourhood. They make you feel at home and have everything a traveller could need at hand!

Booked into the blue parrot for 5 night originally and ended up staying for 5 weeks! Can not say nice enough things about this place! The only reason I left is because I got my own place with friends I made in the hostel! Super friendly and feels like home after day 1, I'm always popping back for a cuppa and a catch up with friends who are still there! Thanks for everything guys, you made Sydney feel like my home right from the start! Miss living here in many ways :)

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Brookew899438
  • Wales

So far the best place ever. Sydney is a great city and the Blue Parrot is awesome, clean and best courtyard ever. Effie, Sacha, Stu and the Frenchy are just perfect (Charly the weekend manager he is so hot and so nice). If you want a friendly place to stay or if you are homesick go to the Blue Parrot. You will find over there all you can look for. Big enough to meet nice people and small enough to be homely. Looking forward to be a Blue Parrot guest again. Love you guys. See you soon. CM

Great hostel! I would definitly stat there again.

• 24th Aug 2014

I spend 12 days at Blue Parot's - I've been to many hostels so far, but none of them made me feel so welcome and at home as this place. Walking distance to the inner Sydney and close to stations to go the all the good stuff a little further away: Bondi, Manly, Blue Mountains etc... 5 stars from Mark!

• 9th Jul 2014