Blue Parrot Backpackers Reviews

87 Macleay Street, Potts Point, Sydney, Australia

I spend 12 days at Blue Parot's - I've been to many hostels so far, but none of them made me feel so welcome and at home as this place. Walking distance to the inner Sydney and close to stations to go the all the good stuff a little further away: Bondi, Manly, Blue Mountains etc... 5 stars from Mark!

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

The Blue Parrot has very friendly staff, decent and clean facilities, hand towels in bathrooms, decent location on the edge of Kings Cross with two locked entrances, and lockers in rooms (BYO padlock). Cost is higher compared with hostels in the same area and elsewhere in Sydney, and particularly with regard to the larger dorms.

Thanks for the feedback! We understand you thought our cost was higher compared to others in the area - you can always find cheaper, but they may not be the total package. To explain, we are only slightly higher in price, we're rated the best hostel in the area by our customers and our prices are competitive with the other top Sydney hostels. We also include free wifi/internet which most do not. When you factor everything in we believe our guests receive a valuable package :-) BP Crew x

Great stay at Blue Parrot. Friendly atmosphere, felt right at home. Kitchen was a bit small, but it works! Awesome staff ready to help out! A

Friendly staff and super helpful, a little far from city center and you have to walk through the sketchy Darlinghurst area to get to the nicer area the hostel is located in if you take the train. Everyone was really friendly. Some backpackers but mostly semi long term working visa residents. Really nice atmosphere though!

Thanks for the review & your kind words about our staff, friendly atmosphere & our nice location.The hostel itself is a 15 minute walk to the Botanic Gardens and 25-30minute walk to the city center. You don’t actually need to walk through Darlinghurst Rd from the train station to get to here. It’s best to go through lovely Victoria St, Potts Point. Many travellers like Darlinghurst Rd since it’s a ‘travellers mecca’ with vibrant nightlife and close proximity to city & beaches.

Great hostel - had a good time there. The staff were great with helping figuring out plans and the hostel itself was very nice. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Kings Cross train station (and about half an hour to the central business district), but there's plenty of bars/restaurants nearby. Didn't quite get a chance to mingle with the other travelers but it was a friendly environment all-round.

The best thing about blue parrot is the amazing staff who are great for information and help for ideas in Sydney. The small size of the hostel and great kitchen facilities means that it was suited well to people staying there for extended periods of time rather than backpackers on a week long stint. It is on the more expensive side and I'm undecided if it is worth the extra money as it is very nice but nothing special.

Thanks for reviewing us D! After Asia you said we were your 1st hostel in Oz & you were in a cheaper mind-set. In perspective, our prices are competitive with the other good hostels & we include free internet (most do not). Guests have told us what makes us special is our staff, atmosphere & the other cool guests we always attract. We offer a fun experience with nights out, group trips & the security of a family. We think these things are a bit special & you can’t really put a price on them

Super awesome experience. The staff is wicked helpful. Miss it already!

Super friendly staff, WiFi for free and working, small hostel and not to crowded. Kitchen a little small and often not very clean. And pls do us a favor and buy a commercial fridge, since basicly 2 small fridges enough for a fully booked Hostel. Anyway 100% recommend!

Thanks for 100% recommending us! The kitchen is cleaned throughout the day but unfortunately it only takes 1 person not cleaning up to make it look messy, but it’s always clean. We have 3 fridges (not 2) and a commercial fridge would be nice but due to our size it’s not possible. Also we have a very home-like environment so we’re not sure a commercial fridge would suit us. We’ve found that 3 fridges are more than sufficient, especially since they get cleaned out thoroughly every week :-)

30 minute walk to Opera House through Botanical Gardens. 45 minutes to Circular Quay. 10 minute walk to Kings Cross station, where you can catch a metro to Bondi Junction (then a bus to Bondi beach). Good deals on tours and tickets to attractions in the city. Fully stocked kitchen. Great lounge area with a huge TV and hard drive with lots of movies. Nice back patio to hang out and eat meals in. The staff are super friendly and able to help with just about everything. Definitely will come back!

Great hostel. Super friendly and helpful staff. Nice and small so easy to make friends. Met some really lovely people here. Would definitely recommend, especially for single travellers. The only negative about this hostel is the price!

We are happy that you had a great time at the Blue Parrot and found it great for solo travellers to make friends easily! We understand that you thought our prices were the only negative, but to put things into perspective our prices are competitive with the other top hostels in Sydney and we also include free WIFI /internet which the other top hostels do not. When you factor everything in we believe our guests receive value for money. Good luck on the rest of your adventures! BP Crew x

I really liked the staff and the other guests were cool, nice people to talk to and there is a great tv room to hang out in. However it's the only spot and again fills up and the patio closes at 9 so you are limited in where to sit. The quiet rules are nice and discourage party types. The kitchen is quite small however and gets crowded if more then 6 people are in there. I felt for what I paid a bit more could have been included. Like breakfast. But the unlimited free wifi is great. Nice place.

We’re happy you liked the cool staff & guests and enjoyed the atmosphere here (and the free WIFI)! We’d love to have the backyard/patio open longer in the evenings but it’s a Council rule to close at 9pm in winter and 10pm in summer so we have no choice. We do organise nights out every night so once the courtyard closes we all head out together to party! Most people join in on the nights out so crowding isn't usually common in the hostel. We hope you enjoy the rest of Australia x BP Crew

Sasha and Efi are awosome! A great hostle that feels like home. Very welcoming and helpful.

• 24th Apr 2014

Staff is amazing! They are all so friendly and will help you with whatever you need! Will definitely be back during my next stay in Sydney.

• 22nd Apr 2014

Incredible location in kings cross Sydney. Only seconds from food, clubs and parks. The staff is very friendly! The hostel is the perfect size to meet everybody. The room is very comfortable.

• 20th Apr 2014

This hostel was very lovely. The staff was helpful and friendly, and it was a small enough place that you could easily get to know people. The place was clean, though not super modern. I would highly recommend this hostel to people traveling alone or small groups.

I can only highly recommend this hostel to anybody / visitor of Sydney. You feel like staying home with friends in a very cosy place with great atmosphere and most of all an unique, friendly and helpfull staff / managed by Effie & Sasha . I've seen many places in the last months of traveling, but this one is really special and unique !!!!!!

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Austria

Its a nice comfortable and especially small hostel. I think there fit about maximum 50 people in the hostel. So it's easy to get in touch with other people and although most of the people stay for some weeks and already know each other everyone was open and nice! Big and nice common room, clean kitchen (a bit tiny for very busy peak times like dinner...) nice backyard and especially the two girls who own the hostel are lovely!! Help u with everything u need!definitely a nice place to stay!

• 2nd Apr 2014

Very nice and comfortable hostel in a great location; walking distance to central Sydney, short walk from Kings Cross but just outside the fuss and the noise, perfect! Super friendly staff welcomes you on arrival and gives you all the info you can possibly want and need. Good size lockers in rooms and shelves to store your things, some rooms have ensuites and these are very clean, well-working wifi. Highly recommended!

I spent 3 days at blue parrots and I absolutely loved it! Great staff, great rooms, great atmosphere. Best Hostel on my travels in Australia so far. I strongly recommend it!

I may be across the world, but I couldn't feel more at home. Admittedly, I was slightly weary before my arrival after hearing some things about the neighbourhood of King's Cross but just after arriving, I was reassured it's a great place and I've felt so safe during my stay with no worries! I've only experienced the best memories here. I've only been traveling alone for a few weeks and as soon as I entered Blue Parrot it was so easy to meet people. It's really a special atmosphere.