Blue Parrot Backpackers Reviews

87 Macleay Street, Potts Point, Sydney, Australia

Hi Blue Parrot Team! Thanks a lot for your hospitality! It was my first experience in a youth hostel, and I'll keep for a long time this nice place in Sydney! Very clean, with nice people, always smiling, what a pleasure to spend this week with all of you! I think come back in May, when I'lI move for France! Merci beaucpup les filles, you are great, really. Bye! :) Nathan

• 13th Oct 2014

The staff at Blue Parrot were so friendly and helpful in suggesting sights to see and how to get there. This was my first time staying at a hostel and I chose the 10 female dorm, not knowing what it would be like. But all the girls were so friendly and very respectful. It made my stay that more memorable and enjoyable. The internet in the common room was a bit slow, but I connected my phone to the wifi and it was very fast. Overall a very pleasant experience! Would definitely recommend it.

• 9th Oct 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback. We often get people staying at a hostel for their first time since we are small & friendly hostel and take care of our guests so they don't get overwhelmed like they might do in a bigger hostel. Sorry that you thought the internet in the common room was a bit slow. It is the same internet throughout the hostel which is the fastest cable internet you can get in Australia, and it's free :-) Hope to see you here again, happy travels!

Loved my stay at Blue Parrot. Hostel is kept very clean, only complaint is sometimes they move your stuff around in the room to tidy. Staff was very friendly and would hang out with you. TV room with tons of movies, kitchen/dining area and back patio are all great places to chill and make friends. Free wifi throughout hostel. Hardly ever a wait for the shower/toilets. A lot of people staying there have jobs but you'll find people going out each night. Would definitely recommend!

Thank you Sarah, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and are glad you loved the Blue Parrot! We understand your only complaint was that we sometimes move stuff around in the room to tidy. As you know cleanliness is important to us so we sometimes have to gently move big bags under the beds so we can vacuum the floor otherwise it would be impossible for us to do a good cleaning job if we vacuumed only around the bags. We hope to see you again! Happy travels :-) xx Effie + Sasha

Really enjoyed my stay at Blue Parrot Backpackers, such a friendly relaxed atmosphere with excellent staff, thank you!!

• 20th Sep 2014
  • Zimbabwe

Great hostel if you want to visit Sydney. It's not a party hostel.

Booked into the blue parrot for 5 night originally and ended up staying for 5 weeks! Can not say nice enough things about this place! The only reason I left is because I got my own place with friends I made in the hostel! Super friendly and feels like home after day 1, I'm always popping back for a cuppa and a catch up with friends who are still there! Thanks for everything guys, you made Sydney feel like my home right from the start! Miss living here in many ways :)

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Brookew899438
  • Wales

So far the best place ever. Sydney is a great city and the Blue Parrot is awesome, clean and best courtyard ever. Effie, Sacha, Stu and the Frenchy are just perfect (Charly the weekend manager he is so hot and so nice). If you want a friendly place to stay or if you are homesick go to the Blue Parrot. You will find over there all you can look for. Big enough to meet nice people and small enough to be homely. Looking forward to be a Blue Parrot guest again. Love you guys. See you soon. CM

Great hostel! I would definitly stat there again.

• 24th Aug 2014

I spend 12 days at Blue Parot's - I've been to many hostels so far, but none of them made me feel so welcome and at home as this place. Walking distance to the inner Sydney and close to stations to go the all the good stuff a little further away: Bondi, Manly, Blue Mountains etc... 5 stars from Mark!

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

The Blue Parrot has very friendly staff, decent and clean facilities, hand towels in bathrooms, decent location on the edge of Kings Cross with two locked entrances, and lockers in rooms (BYO padlock). Cost is higher compared with hostels in the same area and elsewhere in Sydney, and particularly with regard to the larger dorms.

Thanks for the feedback! We understand you thought our cost was higher compared to others in the area - you can always find cheaper, but they may not be the total package. To explain, we are only slightly higher in price, we're rated the best hostel in the area by our customers and our prices are competitive with the other top Sydney hostels. We also include free wifi/internet which most do not. When you factor everything in we believe our guests receive a valuable package :-) BP Crew x

Great stay at Blue Parrot. Friendly atmosphere, felt right at home. Kitchen was a bit small, but it works! Awesome staff ready to help out! A

Friendly staff and super helpful, a little far from city center and you have to walk through the sketchy Darlinghurst area to get to the nicer area the hostel is located in if you take the train. Everyone was really friendly. Some backpackers but mostly semi long term working visa residents. Really nice atmosphere though!

Thanks for the review & your kind words about our staff, friendly atmosphere & our nice location.The hostel itself is a 15 minute walk to the Botanic Gardens and 25-30minute walk to the city center. You don’t actually need to walk through Darlinghurst Rd from the train station to get to here. It’s best to go through lovely Victoria St, Potts Point. Many travellers like Darlinghurst Rd since it’s a ‘travellers mecca’ with vibrant nightlife and close proximity to city & beaches.

Great hostel - had a good time there. The staff were great with helping figuring out plans and the hostel itself was very nice. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Kings Cross train station (and about half an hour to the central business district), but there's plenty of bars/restaurants nearby. Didn't quite get a chance to mingle with the other travelers but it was a friendly environment all-round.

The best thing about blue parrot is the amazing staff who are great for information and help for ideas in Sydney. The small size of the hostel and great kitchen facilities means that it was suited well to people staying there for extended periods of time rather than backpackers on a week long stint. It is on the more expensive side and I'm undecided if it is worth the extra money as it is very nice but nothing special.

Thanks for reviewing us D! After Asia you said we were your 1st hostel in Oz & you were in a cheaper mind-set. In perspective, our prices are competitive with the other good hostels & we include free internet (most do not). Guests have told us what makes us special is our staff, atmosphere & the other cool guests we always attract. We offer a fun experience with nights out, group trips & the security of a family. We think these things are a bit special & you can’t really put a price on them

Super awesome experience. The staff is wicked helpful. Miss it already!

Super friendly staff, WiFi for free and working, small hostel and not to crowded. Kitchen a little small and often not very clean. And pls do us a favor and buy a commercial fridge, since basicly 2 small fridges enough for a fully booked Hostel. Anyway 100% recommend!

Thanks for 100% recommending us! The kitchen is cleaned throughout the day but unfortunately it only takes 1 person not cleaning up to make it look messy, but it’s always clean. We have 3 fridges (not 2) and a commercial fridge would be nice but due to our size it’s not possible. Also we have a very home-like environment so we’re not sure a commercial fridge would suit us. We’ve found that 3 fridges are more than sufficient, especially since they get cleaned out thoroughly every week :-)

30 minute walk to Opera House through Botanical Gardens. 45 minutes to Circular Quay. 10 minute walk to Kings Cross station, where you can catch a metro to Bondi Junction (then a bus to Bondi beach). Good deals on tours and tickets to attractions in the city. Fully stocked kitchen. Great lounge area with a huge TV and hard drive with lots of movies. Nice back patio to hang out and eat meals in. The staff are super friendly and able to help with just about everything. Definitely will come back!

Great hostel. Super friendly and helpful staff. Nice and small so easy to make friends. Met some really lovely people here. Would definitely recommend, especially for single travellers. The only negative about this hostel is the price!

We are happy that you had a great time at the Blue Parrot and found it great for solo travellers to make friends easily! We understand that you thought our prices were the only negative, but to put things into perspective our prices are competitive with the other top hostels in Sydney and we also include free WIFI /internet which the other top hostels do not. When you factor everything in we believe our guests receive value for money. Good luck on the rest of your adventures! BP Crew x

I really liked the staff and the other guests were cool, nice people to talk to and there is a great tv room to hang out in. However it's the only spot and again fills up and the patio closes at 9 so you are limited in where to sit. The quiet rules are nice and discourage party types. The kitchen is quite small however and gets crowded if more then 6 people are in there. I felt for what I paid a bit more could have been included. Like breakfast. But the unlimited free wifi is great. Nice place.

We’re happy you liked the cool staff & guests and enjoyed the atmosphere here (and the free WIFI)! We’d love to have the backyard/patio open longer in the evenings but it’s a Council rule to close at 9pm in winter and 10pm in summer so we have no choice. We do organise nights out every night so once the courtyard closes we all head out together to party! Most people join in on the nights out so crowding isn't usually common in the hostel. We hope you enjoy the rest of Australia x BP Crew