Blue Parrot Backpackers Reviews

87 Macleay Street, Potts Point, Sydney, Australia

Somewhat lacking in facilities, but making it up in good atmosphere. Come here if you are willing to put up with imperfections in order to socialize with fellow travellers.

Excellent hostel for solo backpackers!! I met a lot a people :) the wifi is not working well, I had to use all of my datas on my cellphone:(

Thanks for the nice review! We’re sorry you found it difficult to connect to the wifi but it definitely works well. Everyone gets free wifi so it’s as shame you used your data. Sometimes iPhones from overseas need to access the wifi through a different portal - if you came to us for help at reception we’d be happy to help you with any problem…that’s what we’re here for :-) Wishing you safe travels xo Effie, Blue Parrot Owner

I loved the blue parrot. It felt like home and met so many friends. I also felt very secure there and relaxed like if I were at home - mostly owed to the atmosphere, and even was relaxed enough to leave my laptop / valuables lying around without having to lock up as I knew all the people in my room and became buds with them. Love Sasha and Effie too.

Blue parrot was my first hostel in Australia and the lovely sisters who own the hostel helped me get a SIM card, my tax number and set up a bank account which was awesome because I felt daunted arriving alone and didn't know where to start! Everyone staying here is friendly and I quickly met everyone since it's a small place. Well located and clean. Thanks for the great stay

• 23rd Oct 2015

Small hostel with really great atmoshere, easy to meet new people. Perfect for solo travelers and the hostel has different activites every week. Hostel is clean. Dorms are a little messy (blaming the guests), beds a little uncomfortable imo. The location is great with just 50 metres to the supermarket and more...... The staff is really helpful. Kitchen is small but was never to crowded during my stay. A little lack of equipments. Quite expensive hostel though comparing to others. Recommend it

Really nice home like hostel, the staff really brings eveeryone togheter and are really helpfull, they even try to call because i arived 2h later then i was suposed to because they were worry and it was in the middle of the afternoon :) Nice garden and good facilities:)

I loved my time there! Even though I'm not a big fan of cities I would happily spend the day bumming about the hostel Socialising. Co-owners Effie and Sasha, are the sweetest women you will meet. Not only attractive but so helpful, I would love to see them again. Love you girls! Jordan Knight.

• 15th Oct 2015

Cool place with cool people. The hostel is like a big house and it's comfortable and clean. The guests are respectful of each other and there's a friendly community ambiance which made me feel welcomed. Staff go out of their way to help you and all the girls working there are pretty gorgeous haha

• 12th Oct 2015

Great location close to the Royal Botanic Gardens, easy to get to the city centre and to Bondi beach. The common room and garden terrace are great places to socialize and meet people to go out with. All the staff are brilliant, they helped me with setting up my bank account, mobile phone, tax file number and even helped me find a job which i am grateful to Effie for! :-) Very well cleaned. Also good wifi connection which is for free! Definitely worth it!

• 12th Oct 2015

Blue Parrot is fantastic! There is a chilled atmosphere in the hostel, they throw group BBQs every Sunday and most nights there is something organised for people in the hostel to meet. The intimate family environment made it feel safe, comfortable and i was never alone :-) Nice to have free wifi for searching jobs and apartments. Would recommend to my friends!

Nice place and people. Recommend

Disappointed. I'll be constructive. There are 3 individual bathrooms in the hostel, including showers. For a 40+ guests hostel, that's not enough. To hostel : Try to add at least one common room with sinks. You can drink in the hostel until 23h, but the terrace close at 21h. The result is that many people drink in the stairs from 21h to 23h, preventing anyone to sleep. To hostel : Try to match your terrace and drinking closing times. Also, adding individual lights for each bed would do wonders.

Very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us! Please be aware we do have more than 3 bathrooms. There are rooms with ‘private bathrooms’ which are only for the people who have booked those rooms. But you chose to stay in a dorm with ‘shared bathroom’ giving you access to 4 bathrooms. The terrace must unfortunately close because it is a council rule, however we keep it open until 22h. We will take on board your suggestion and stop drinking in the hostel at an earlier time.

Lovely home to stay with clean facilities and wonderful people! Comfortable beds with free locker for every persons. Relaxed atmosphere, trés bonne ambiance! Made many friends to go exploring during the day and fun nights where included by the hostel. Thanks to the kind sisters Effie & Sasha who made it feel like I was staying with family! Bisous X

• 31st Aug 2015

Such a welcoming and comfortable hostel, felt like I was staying at a friend's home! Kitchen and bathrooms all kept neat and clean. Both staff and guests were very welcoming and every night something fun was organised for people to meet. Definitely coming back!

• 31st Aug 2015

Loved the Blue Parrot! Very clean, relaxed and homely hostel. Everyone's super friendly and I quickly met some awesome people (which was nice because I'm traveling by myself). 24 hour free wifi was great. Good location to explore Sydney, the area is were local people hang out, lots of cute cafes, bars, just a cool vibe. Highly recommend staying here!

• 31st Aug 2015

Had a fantastic stay at the Blue Parrot! Such a good atmosphere here, the staff were just the best, really welcoming and helpful, and I met so many great people here - almost everyone was travelling on their own, so it's a great place to make friends, and plenty of organised events, nights out etc make it easy to get involved! It's set up like a big house, so feels much more homely than other, larger hostels, and the facilities are basic but clean and well kept. Will be back for sure:)

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

Individual reading lights would be good in rooms

• 23rd Aug 2015

Typical average hostel. No frills, you get what you pay for. The staff was really friendly and helpful though!

We’re happy to hear you found the staff helpful! Guests have told us what makes us special is our welcoming staff, homely family environment & social atmosphere making it easy to meet people. We understand it’s hard to soak all this in when you’ve only stayed 1 night like yourself but we feel we offer more that your average hostel as we organise fun nights out and group trips. Oh, and free wifi is on offer too! We think these things make us a bit special :-) Cheers, Effie&Sasha

Blue Parrot is fine and has a good atmosphere. However, the facilities are a bit lacking. The beds are less than nice and the kitchen is entirely too small for how many people are staying there, as is the common room. Everything seems to get a bit dirty as the day goes on.

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We are only a small hostel with 7 rooms and we generally want to maintain a ‘homely’ feel for guests so we don’t have a huge industrial kitchen like the bigger hostels might. Our guests usually say the common room and the courtyard are hostel highlights so please accept our apologies if this didn’t satisfy you 100%. We will increase our efforts to make sure a high level of cleanliness is maintained throughout the day. All the best, Effie+Sasha

Coackroach in kitchen!! Very small kitchen with not enough storage space and not clean. Bathrooms small. Too expensive for what you get. A lot of long stayers which made for a clicky non inclusive hostel.

Sorry to hear you didn‘t have a great stay. We only recently had pest control done so after reading your review we checked the entire kitchen area for the cockroach you saw but all seemed fine :-).The kitchen door opens to the garden so we wouldn’t be surprised if when the door was open, nature came to visit us…we are in Australia after all ;-). We have daily cleaning checks to ensure high standards of hygiene. We do have a handful of long term guests but they are still very sociable.