Blue Skies Porthtowan Reviews

The Unicorn, Beach Road, Cornwall, England

A decent place to stały, offering basic accomodation and facilities. The showers were a bit dirty, full od sand. Still the location is excellent- just 3 minutes from the beach and the breakfast was amazing! Definitely not something I expected for this price :)

The staff were very welcoming, approachable and friendly. I arrived after 9 hours of driving, tired and stressed and felt straight away that I was in a place that was safe with good people around me. Cannot fault anything, the facilities exceeded my expectations, and the beds were exceedingly comfortable. Wfi is a little hit and miss in the hostel but works perfectly in the bar. Will definitely return.

Sometimes cold water in the bathroom.

• 5th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I had a great time staying at Blue Skies Porthtowan. The accommodation and breakfast were great. Cooking facilities were good as well. Shower room often had water on the floor however, and there was no surf board storage or facilities for washing wetsuits. Apart from those issues, the hostel was spot on!

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Great hostel in an amazing location right on the beach. Very nice breakfast in the morning. Only issues were the rooms didn't seem to be allocated before we arrived and we had to move rooms half way through our stay. Also, only one shower that has hot water out of two which is hard when lots of people are needing showers after the beach. All in, though a great stay in a stunning location and I will be back!

Out hotel room had a horrible smell especially in the bathroom. No on cleaned for the 4 days we were there.

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Beautiful location, good breakfast and very comfortable beds.The only downside are the toilets and showers which were quite old.

Stayed her for 4 nights at the start of August. The double room was small and the shared bathroom was right down the other end of the hallway. There were only 2 toilets that were often dirty with no toilet paper, and 2 out of 3 showers. (1 was not working) which could have also done with a clean. There was a small communal kitchen. Location was great, right on the beach. Only 2 pubs to chose from for dinner and the next town is a 10-15 min drive away

All the staff were fab, friendly, funky and helpful. Special shout out to Lemar (hope that's spelt correctly), extremely polite, friendly and lovely. The hotel rooms are clean and the food is delicious and the location is second to none. Only one minor issue, for your information, our hotel room smelt slightly musty and a bit damp, although it looked freshly decorated and very clean. However we really enjoyed our stay and would return.

• 1st Aug 2014

the worst hotel i have ever stayed. They have no idea about our booking when we arrived there. i do not recommend to anyone.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Turkey

Really friendly and chilled out staff. Location is fantastic, just a few metres away from the beach. However the management of the business was just too disorganised. We had to chase staff for basics like clean bed sheets, toilet paper etc. Most keys didn't work for some reason. The toilets and showers weren't cleaned when we arrived or during our stay. Neither were the rooms, floors or kitchen, which had a fridge filled with out-dated food. I'm sure they'll improve as they get more experience.

Nice place but hostel at the pub is not a good idea because is difficult to sleep , but for the money it"s worth to visit this place . Strongly recommend. I greet all : Marek

No point in passing the comments on they aren't interested. There was no toilet paper, rotting food in the one fridge and the other stank. No food was labelled. No cleaning done, only one shower worked properly and then water went all over floor and was just left. TV didn't work, cinema wasn't working, NO drying room or any drying facilities. Despite asking for toilet paper none was provided until next morning and even then only for one toilet.

• 28th Jul 2014

My first experience in a hostel, so nothing to compare it to. But the staff were so nice, made me feel very welcome and were happy to answer any questions I had. The beds were new and comfortable, with plenty of storage. One of the showers was out-of-order but with not many staying at the time, there was never a problem in getting a shower. . It is a fabulous location, and would recommend it.

• 27th Jul 2014

very good location, but disaster for the hygiene.

• 25th Jul 2014

The wifi stopped working one night, and only one shower had hot water. But despite these, the hostel is good. Staff is nice and the location is excellent, close to the best beaches of Cornwall (I definitely recommend renting a car when going there).

Excellent location, overpriced for the sheer lack of service and lack of cleaning, no functioning showers, loo-roll dispenser empty and not replaced for a total of 5 days, continental breakfast was appalling, just toast and some old fruit, cooked breakfast which is at extra charge is even more appalling. Would be worth it if we paid £10 per night, but we paid £55 per night.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Tanzania

This hostel is right on Porthtowan beach, perfect for a relaxing beach stay. I stayed in the 6 bed female dorm and was on my own for the majority of my stay, one other female came in for two nights. There were huge lockers under the bed. The bathrooms weren't the best, the showers were quite small. The only problem was getting to and from the beach to transportation if you don't have a car. The staff at the hostel were really helpful and booked me a taxi for early the next morning.

Booked 2 nights to surf over the weekend, I will definitely come again!

• 11th Jul 2014

Nice atmosphere, lovely staff, the showere in the en-suite of the family room was quite slow to drain, otherwise the stay was perfect

• 4th Jul 2014