Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp Reviews

Calle Principal contiguo Alamo Rent a Car, Tamarindo, Costa Rica

awesome place. stay nowhere else

This is a great hostel. It's small and that made it easy to meet people. There was a fridge and kitchen! The daytime staff was great but the night guard was pretty rude. Also, you can't bring guests into the hostel area which was annoying when we wanted to play cards with friends stayijg somewhere else but good for security. Overall, I would highly recommend this hostel.

Great place with clean and comfy rooms, and so close to the beach. Loved the hot water shower and ac. Staff was super friendly. Great vibe, too bad I could only stay 1 night because they were fully booked.

• 7th Mar 2015

The hostel was super clean and there was plenty of air conditioning and hot showers. There are lockers but you need your own locks. There are fridges in each room which is fantastic. Also Marta the cleaning lady is wonderful!

• 22nd Feb 2015

Blue Trailz is right in the middle of Tamarindo just across the street from the beach. We arrived late and the gate was locked but Ramon let us in and showed us our room after showing him our reservation. Good Opsec! The outdoor common area has seats and a hammock and has a good social vibe. The market is right across the street to get provisions. We had a great surf lesson here too and lessons/rentals are 10% off if you stay there. Room had AC on a remote and a balcony, would def stay again!

Had a great stay here. Very clean and secure, always security after 7. All the rooms had fridges with a kitchen to share. The staff the first day was helpful, but the lady after that was rude and made it seem like a huge chore to book our surf lessons. It's suppose to be a surf school so that was annoying. She said she was to busy with paper work to come back the next day. Would stay again.

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our time here. We stayed in the 6 bed dorm, which was hard to keep clean from sand, but did get a thorough cleaning every day. The shared kitchen was a bare minimum affair, but had everything we absolutely needed. One day the water pressure was nonexistent. Very social spot, small enough to know everybody pretty well. Surfing was easy to set up through the hostel, although a bit more expensive. Overall a great spot, I would recommend it to anybody!

My only dislike was how sandy the bathroom was, and without windows it became very muggy. That's my only complaint! It's in walking distance of everything, right in town and close to the beach, shops, and restaurants. Besides the bathroom I enjoyed my one night and will be back if I go back to Tamarindo!

• 7th Feb 2015

Rooms were nice and clean and the outdoor kitchen is a nice touch. It's not on the beach, but it's close to the edge of town where the hotels end so it's close and easy to get onto the beach.

Nice place overall, with a nice kitchen. We only got some problems with the surfboard. We broke down the fin of the board by accident in the water. By determining the other fin on the board the quality was low and you could see that at the break line of the fun, the fin was already having a hard time. There is no assurance and you have to pay every damage on the board by yourself. So, check the board!! And check the fins! Many boards standing without a fin!!

I am happy you liked our hostel. As any surf shop here, there is no rental insurance. Therefore you pay in case you damage a board. Upon renting the beginner board, we checked it together, including fins, to ensure good condition and record any damage. Upon return, you told me you fell on the fin and broke it. As I explained, the broken fin was not due to the quality or its condition, but because you fell onto it. Unfortunately accidents happen, nonetheless we hope you enjoyed your first surf.

My 6 friends stayed in the dorm room from Jan.7-13. Pros:Location wise right near beach and tons of restaurants & stores.The owner is really good about responding to your emails.The other people we met at the hostel were really cool.Cons: Upon arrival our room wasn't completely clean.My friends & I had MAC eyeshadows, clothes, and sports bras stolen before realizing what was happening. I would absolutely lock up everything you bring with you.Lockers in room don't fit a combo Masterlock.Be aware

Great Hostel, close to the action and beach. Surf rentals are great, and the staff is super helpful.

Very nice place, friendly and very helpful staff. Great surf lessons. The hostel is just a few steps from the beach and attracts a great crowd of travelers. It's very clean and comfortable. Too bad they were fully booked and I could only stay 1 night, will be back during my trip. Best place so far on my trip in Costa Rica.

• 17th Dec 2014

I stayed an extra week past my reservation. Loved it!

Very central in Tamarindo, literally across the street from the beach. 5 minutes walk to all the big party areas in town. GREAT staff, super-fast wifi and even a cleaning lady that comes every day - what hostel can possibly say that! Also lots of surfboards to rent and choose from - highly recommended - I loved the place!

Excellent atmosphere and staff. One member, tall and blond but whose name I don´t recall, was incredibly helpful and friendly. Also, it was very easy to meet and socialize with people. When our AC did not work, we were allowed to switch rooms. Rooms were small but still comfortable. Hostel is located almost next to the beach. Because of staff and atmosphere one of the best hostels I have stayed in.

I stayed 3 days here instead of my original plan of one. The people were great, the location was good, and most of the staff went out of their way to help me out. I would definitely recommend it!

Great location and facilities. the dorm came with ac and hot water and the hostel was close to nightlife and the beach. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They had a lovely crowd to hang out with in the common area. If they weren't fully booked I would have stayed here the rest of my time in Tamarindo. Best place during my travels in Costa Rica.

• 20th Nov 2014