Bob's Youth Hostel Reviews

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012SG, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very good location only 5 minute stroll to the main square and main coffee shops. The room was very tired and walls where full of graffiti and there was only 1 plug socket for a 18 bed dorm.

Room really dirty! guy at the front desk is slow and obvs high

Incredibly rude staff, our reason for departure early was due to my travel partner's grandfather having died. When asked why we were leaving early we explained our situation and were greeted with an incredibly hostile reply. ,. We weren't even in the main part of the Hostel! We were crammed in this disgusting building above a bar. I know people ignore reviews, but I implore anyone who wants a good time in Amsterdam to avoid Bob's hostel, ruined our trip.

• 13th Jul 2014

Travelling Europe solo for the last 2 years- I've been to many hostels. I look for basic things and I'm not super picky- but I researched online and settled on bobs hostel. When I arrived there- it was hardly like what it said online. I was placed in a building 2 streets from the common room. Internet doesn't work in rooms and there is 1 toilet for 3 or 4 rooms of 6 people. There is no sink to wash your hands or a mirror anywhere. Staff were exceptionally rude and it was a horrible experience.

Bobs is perfectly placed in Amsterdam, the staff are lovely, the rooms are clean and beds comfortable. Unfortunately the common area is always too full to find a seat but I guess that's a sign of a good hostel!

We were staying in a 16 person dorm and during the night there was a rat/mouse in our room. My friend had an UNOPENNED packet of cookies in her bag which were openned and nibbled on. We told the manager in the morning and he was so rude to us

Mice ate into an unopened packet of cookies I had in my room and when I told the manager he was incredibly rude and told me it was my fault, that I should just deal with it and that 'you English think you can complain about anything' despite the fact I'm not even English. All this when I paid 45€ for one night in a 20 bed dorm. Disgusting attitude towards cleanliness and even worse towards guests.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Bobs hostel was a good hostel near to the center of Amsterdam and the De Wallen District. It was at a walking distance from a lot of museums and attractions. The things that bothered us was that the pillows and blankets smelled really bad. We slept without our pillows. Also, the lugage room key was accesible to everyone and no one from the staff was with us when we would drop our bags there. It would have been easy to steal.

This was a very uncomfortable and unwelcoming hostel. I did not enjoy my stay. The workers were unfriendly, they did not have enough lockers for everyone, the bags in the storage were piled to the top of a prison cell looking closet, they casually brushed off the fact that they SAID they had breakfast but didn't, there was no soap in the bathrooms, the credit card machine was not working so we had to pay in cash, and they did not accommodate to anyone. They did however have a bed and a shower..

Absolutely LOVED bob's! I traveled with a friend and we both found this hostel to be our favorite out of out entire trip across Europe! Wifi IN rooms, bathroom in each room, location was INCREDIBLE-right in the heart of the red light, and cheap drinks at the bar! Warning: It really is a fun, youthful environment (smoking in lounge, up until 3am, etc) so if these things would bother you, then you really shouldn't be staying in a hostel at all. Would ABSOLUTELY come back to Bob's!

• 17th Jun 2014

Great location, right by train station and red light district, which is awesome. And 'coffeeshops' obviously. There's only 2 toilets and 2 showers in 20 bed mixed dorm, and hope you don't get the beds 2 feet from the bathroom. We aren't very picky so none of it bothered us!

Sadly Bob's hostel was expensive, the staff not really friendly, the room full, the bathrooms rarely- and I felt definitly not comfortable there!

• 17th Jun 2014

Was a very social place which was great, but the showers were grubby and the bed were not the most comfy, and dont by beer from them, go to the shops ;)

All the place is dirty, at the reception there was a guy with a really bad mood, the beds are really unconfortable and small, the price is really high for what it offers.

No Common room - the reception area was so small you couldnt socialise. No Kitchen. Bunks were awesome though so comfortable! Not that social but best beds we have stayed in our entire trip haha. Location is good - walking distance to the city centre.

The member of staff checking us in was making everything difficult for not only me but everyone in the hostel, he kept saying he had a lot to do yet he was just doing paperwork which I'm sure could have been done later. When we came to check out there was a different man that was equally difficult to deal with. I would say if you need a cheap night and a good location go there. Although don't expect it to be easy. And take insect repellent, I got bitten 12 times whilst asleep.

• 9th Jun 2014

Poorly organized, smelly, dirty, no wi-fi..

Very central location and low price make this place a good deal! I just need to underline the fact that the place is not particularly clean. Private bathrooms are ok, but communal areas are a bit running down. I'm not sure either that the luggage room offers an ironclad security. Anyway, that's a good place to crash if you're travelling around with mates to have a buzz on or for a bachelor party, as we did. So stay at Bob's Hostel to spare your dough and have a ball in Amsterdam!

It was a bit of a surprise to not be connected to the lobby. Not a big deal but you should disclose that as a possibility before finalizing booking.

The hostel was indeed clean; however, I felt that the service was lacking considering I made a reservation that no one on staff knew about. I also did not care for the location or the housing arrangements that much. The walls were covered in crude drawings and notes. I didn't care for it very much, but that's just me.

• 2nd Jun 2014