Bob's Youth Hostel Reviews

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012SG, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Bob's was such a pleasant surprise! Don't let the low price fool you, the shower was amazing (if a little dirty), and there are lockers for rent. The best part is the lobby, it's a lounge space that always has good music playing. Cannabis friendly and very easy to meet people and have conversations. I traveled alone and never felt lonely. The staff are incredibly friendly and interesting to talk to. Right next door is a food store and coffee shop. Would highly recommend. Good for small groups.

although the bed was comfortable (i was put in girls dorm even though had booked normal dorm), the indian man at the desk was the most miserable&cold person i have ever met.... i had arrived off a 16hour flight in the am&could not check in until 2. after walking round the city for hours, i turned up at about 1 and still could not check in... it was blaitently ready!! i had to wait and try to sleep in the small common area. He should leave the job if hes so unhappy there!!Not a ppl person!!

I stayed in a 12 person dorm & there was just no space in the room & only 1 bathroom(1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 shower) for all the people. I didn't feel that my belongings were secure. The wifi doesn't work in the rooms. Also there is no breakfast.

• 20th May 2014

The hostel was in a great location to get around Amsterdam. The room was very clean, and I met some friendly people. I felt a little bit insecure about leaving my stuff because locker wasn't available.

In my dorm's door it said: "the guantanamo of the hostel industry": I 100% agree

Got locked in a bathroom because of a broken handle. Two of the three vending machines were broken and had been broken long enough for all of the labels to fade. The wi fi service was spotty, there was nothing to do in the hostel itself. just a cheap place to sleep, not a hostel to meet people or hangout at.

• 17th May 2014

The bathroom at the dorm I was had no light. I stayed in a large room but there were no problem with the people at all. Staff from the other building were very helpful when we needed.

It was amazing for me, I had a great time there the staff is something else, I wish I could have stayed more, next time I go to Amsterdam I will definitely go to Bobs

There hostel lobby was dark and didn't seem like a good place to socialise. You could only smoke weed inside the lobby and you had to go outside for a cigarette. I know it's Amsterdam but other hostels allow you to smoke tobacco inside! You also weren't allowed to smoke weed if there wasn't an ash tray on the table and you weren't allowed to ask for one!! Also be aware that there are no plugs in the room so you can't charge your phone or use other eletricals! Wouldn't stay for longer then 2 days

• 3rd May 2014

Amazing location. Decent prices (expansive for an hostel, but every hostel in Amsterdam is overpriced). Good staff. Negatives: No check out before 8 am. No kitchen. No common area except the lobby.

It was a great stay! Nice staff, clean rooms, good beds, many people from all over the world, close to red light district, coffeeshop is next door and lots more:) I recommend! :)

Very squeaky beds but comfortable

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Bob's is genuinely the nicest place. All the staff are the coolest people and all the other visitors are just as lovely, and don't mind sharing and having a good chat! I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay, and everyone went out of their way to ensure we were happy. One night they were fully booked, and with the awareness that we would've stayed there if we could, they helped us to find somewhere and made us feel welcome until it was sorted. We then stayed the following few nights.

• 22nd Apr 2014

Good location considering Amsterdam is huge!

Security is average because the lockers are not good enough (old and weak). Location is good because is not so far from the central station and some tourist views. The staff is not so gentle and always seems to be disturbed by anyone who looked for some information. During the 4 days I stayed the room seemed not be cleaned. I don't think the hostel had good facilities: NO breakfeast (neither coffe!) and NO internet access (the wifi never worked). After that, I think I payed more than I received.

There are a couple of plugs in the bedroom, it is very difucult to charge the phone. Only a bathroom for 16 beds

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Spain

A friend and I booked 3 nights, as it was beggining of hollidays the rooms prices were really high, we payed 120 euros each for a 20 people room, that only shares 1 shower and 1 restroom. Lockers are not available always. The hostel description says that they have a room to smoke weed and bar and its open until 3 am but the room actually is the same as the reception desk and often they take out the ashtrays and don't let you smoke. Only oustanding thing is location. Not tobad but overpriced

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

Your cleanliness was terrible. We didnt even have soap to wash our hands sfter using the bathroom. Also everyone of the staff was very rude and acted as though me asking a question was an annoyance.

This was the worst experience of my life. Felt like a crack house. How they think it is ok to house people in a room that they are replacing the ancient windows in while it is freezing and raining outside is besides me. The stair case is enough of a death sentence let alone adding the fact that the lobby is so engulfed in smoke that you get high simply by standing in the room. Upon our arrival, we immediately checked out and stayed across the street at The Convent Hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• 16th Apr 2014

The worst place I have ever stayed. Staff was rude...especially the girl. The dirtiest place I have ever seen. They were doing construction on the place and knocked out the windows and left the old ones everywhere WHILE WE WE IN THE ROOM. Sheets were yellow and the bests were as hard as a park bench. The shower...wouldn´t even call it a shower. Wifi barely works and there are only like 2 outlets for a 20 bed mixed form. They charged 50 euro for the last night. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!