Bob's Youth Hostel Reviews

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012SG, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Bobs hostel was a good hostel near to the center of Amsterdam and the De Wallen District. It was at a walking distance from a lot of museums and attractions. The things that bothered us was that the pillows and blankets smelled really bad. We slept without our pillows. Also, the lugage room key was accesible to everyone and no one from the staff was with us when we would drop our bags there. It would have been easy to steal.

This was a very uncomfortable and unwelcoming hostel. I did not enjoy my stay. The workers were unfriendly, they did not have enough lockers for everyone, the bags in the storage were piled to the top of a prison cell looking closet, they casually brushed off the fact that they SAID they had breakfast but didn't, there was no soap in the bathrooms, the credit card machine was not working so we had to pay in cash, and they did not accommodate to anyone. They did however have a bed and a shower..

Absolutely LOVED bob's! I traveled with a friend and we both found this hostel to be our favorite out of out entire trip across Europe! Wifi IN rooms, bathroom in each room, location was INCREDIBLE-right in the heart of the red light, and cheap drinks at the bar! Warning: It really is a fun, youthful environment (smoking in lounge, up until 3am, etc) so if these things would bother you, then you really shouldn't be staying in a hostel at all. Would ABSOLUTELY come back to Bob's!

• 17th Jun 2014

Great location, right by train station and red light district, which is awesome. And 'coffeeshops' obviously. There's only 2 toilets and 2 showers in 20 bed mixed dorm, and hope you don't get the beds 2 feet from the bathroom. We aren't very picky so none of it bothered us!

Sadly Bob's hostel was expensive, the staff not really friendly, the room full, the bathrooms rarely- and I felt definitly not comfortable there!

• 17th Jun 2014

Was a very social place which was great, but the showers were grubby and the bed were not the most comfy, and dont by beer from them, go to the shops ;)

Felt like a hotel. Beautiful rooftop terrace and spacious kitchen dining. Rooms were clean and I enjoyed having an ensuit in a hostel. Great location, many bars and tapas bars down that street. Short walk to the surf beach.

All the place is dirty, at the reception there was a guy with a really bad mood, the beds are really unconfortable and small, the price is really high for what it offers.

No Common room - the reception area was so small you couldnt socialise. No Kitchen. Bunks were awesome though so comfortable! Not that social but best beds we have stayed in our entire trip haha. Location is good - walking distance to the city centre.

The member of staff checking us in was making everything difficult for not only me but everyone in the hostel, he kept saying he had a lot to do yet he was just doing paperwork which I'm sure could have been done later. When we came to check out there was a different man that was equally difficult to deal with. I would say if you need a cheap night and a good location go there. Although don't expect it to be easy. And take insect repellent, I got bitten 12 times whilst asleep.

• 9th Jun 2014

Poorly organized, smelly, dirty, no wi-fi..

Very central location and low price make this place a good deal! I just need to underline the fact that the place is not particularly clean. Private bathrooms are ok, but communal areas are a bit running down. I'm not sure either that the luggage room offers an ironclad security. Anyway, that's a good place to crash if you're travelling around with mates to have a buzz on or for a bachelor party, as we did. So stay at Bob's Hostel to spare your dough and have a ball in Amsterdam!

It was a bit of a surprise to not be connected to the lobby. Not a big deal but you should disclose that as a possibility before finalizing booking.

The hostel was indeed clean; however, I felt that the service was lacking considering I made a reservation that no one on staff knew about. I also did not care for the location or the housing arrangements that much. The walls were covered in crude drawings and notes. I didn't care for it very much, but that's just me.

• 2nd Jun 2014

The prices for Bob's are very high compared to the service you receive. Although it is located in the heart of Amsterdam, this hostel really warped my view of the city. The bar/check in area was very dingy and the whole hostel was pretty gross. The staff who checked us in was very sketchy and unfriendly. I was expecting more for the money I paid.

Bob's was such a pleasant surprise! Don't let the low price fool you, the shower was amazing (if a little dirty), and there are lockers for rent. The best part is the lobby, it's a lounge space that always has good music playing. Cannabis friendly and very easy to meet people and have conversations. I traveled alone and never felt lonely. The staff are incredibly friendly and interesting to talk to. Right next door is a food store and coffee shop. Would highly recommend. Good for small groups.

although the bed was comfortable (i was put in girls dorm even though had booked normal dorm), the indian man at the desk was the most miserable&cold person i have ever met.... i had arrived off a 16hour flight in the am&could not check in until 2. after walking round the city for hours, i turned up at about 1 and still could not check in... it was blaitently ready!! i had to wait and try to sleep in the small common area. He should leave the job if hes so unhappy there!!Not a ppl person!!

I stayed in a 12 person dorm & there was just no space in the room & only 1 bathroom(1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 shower) for all the people. I didn't feel that my belongings were secure. The wifi doesn't work in the rooms. Also there is no breakfast.

• 20th May 2014

The hostel was in a great location to get around Amsterdam. The room was very clean, and I met some friendly people. I felt a little bit insecure about leaving my stuff because locker wasn't available.

In my dorm's door it said: "the guantanamo of the hostel industry": I 100% agree