Bob's Youth Hostel Reviews

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012SG, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1951 Total Reviews

Located well, average value but good for Amsterdam, everywhere more expensive

The location is fantastic there is no denying and you can see where the improvements are trying to be done but it's just not there yet, there was mould in the bathrooms, door handles kept literally falling off and everything was just quiet damp and grimy. Ended up moving hostels after one night.

Bob's youth hostel was ok, the beds were really comfy and the location is great, but the atmosphere was a bit lacking and it was certainly a bit creepy that the manager was walking around the dorm at 2am checking the people who were in bed, even going as far as lifting up the duvet of someone because he couldn't quite tell if there was someone in there or not. He really shouldn't be up to that. I wouldn't stay there again, but i didn't have a bad time at Bob's youth hostel.

• 14th Sep 2015
  • Northern Ireland

dissapointrd as i just changed the dates of my travel in advance and they did not adjusted my downpayment and when i reached there they said you have to pay full amount as this is issue between you and hostel world.

Great location, no complaints other than 2 lights didn't work in the bathroom/shower and it was hard to find a locker that wasn't broken. Would definitely stay here again.

Lock on the door to the room didn't work, and lock/handle to the bathroom door was hanging off. Lockers not big enough to fit larger backpacker bags. Common areas not particularly good either. Tbf it was reasonably clean, and the staff did try to fix the door, but for 35 euros a night not good value for money

• 6th Sep 2015

The living spaces were cramped, the bathrooms weren't clean or clogged, and not enough of them, the water pressure was awful, the light in one of the showers didn't work. There wasn't a welcoming common space to hang out in. People came in at 3AM into the room and turned on the light and were hanging out- so no rules/expectations were set of the people staying in the hostel.

Was not clean, no atmosphere, no kitchen, no wifi in the rooms. Location was good, reception was always lousy. Definitely not going back. Ever. Would encourage going elsewhere

First time, the recepcionist was a girl who was very kind and explained me everything I should know about the hostel and Amsterdam. I have already been there so I did not need much explanation. Second time was a guy, morning, for the checkout, and I ask him for suggestions and he did not pay much attention to me, barely gave me any indication and did not help me anyhow with my stay nor the checkout. I would recommend the Hostel because it is cheap and well located.

Best hostel since years! Thanks so much!

• 31st Aug 2015

Great hostel by Amsterdam standards! WiFi is great and beds are nice to. Free tea and coffee in the morning is a nice touch as well.

Good Things: -Location is perfect! Close to the train station, the red light district, and other attractions - Staff was helpful and friendly - Shower water pressure was awesome - Lockers were spacious - Comfy pillows Bad Things: -wifi is okay in the rooms (good in the common area tho) -shower and sink are combined in a little room instead of a "glassed in" shower - toilets seem to be cleaned regularly but perhaps not enough as the common bathrooms were pretty gross sometimes

My biggest problem ib the hostel was the cleanliness. It was filthy. From lockers to bathrooms. It wasnt ever cleaned. I was literally gagging while using the bathroom. The staff working at the front desk were so rude. I arrived exactly when it was time to check in, but the guy made me wait until their shift change to get me checked in because he said he wanted his colleague to check me in. I don't know what was wrong with this place but my experience was hurrendous.

Overall it was a pleasant stay. Hostel is on a great location and it's really not bad as I thought it would be considering the reviews. One guy (older) working there is kind of rude, but the rest of the staff is really cool and helpful. Sheets are nice and clean, beds are comfortable, but the bathroom is not very clean - when there's 16 people sharing a room, the bathroom and toilet should be cleaned more often (but it's not disgustingly dirty).

• 24th Aug 2015
  • Croatia

Having seen a couple of bad reviews, we were concerned about our stay here. However, we found nothing to complain about. Perhaps some people have too high expectations of what a hostel is like, but it was certainly everything we needed. The staff were kind and helpful, the beds comfortable and the general atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. We would stay again.

• 20th Aug 2015

At 4am, the bald owner came into the dorm, and went to wake me up and ask for my receipt. Thanks to some fellow travellers in the dorm he didn't manage to, they had seen him kick a "dirty frenchman" out the previous night, also at 4am. "breakfast included" nope. No soap was provided in the bathroom, and the sink was in a separate cubicle to the loo, so if someone was using the shower, you couldn't wash your hands. No friendly feel from staff. Location was excellent, shame about the rest.

• 19th Aug 2015

The staff is rude, not willing to help,never smile.However, the location is excellent,very near too the city center. The room is also okay.

Terrible hostel. Extremely overpriced. Upon arrival we were directed to a second building that we didn't even know existed, the rooms were dirty and dusty and the smell was putrid. No soap in bathrooms but they were filled with mould, floors were never swept and we noticed covers and pillow cases were never changed between guests. Felt dirty being here. Coupled with rude staff would definitely look elsewhere for the price.

• 17th Aug 2015

Bob's Youth Hostel is the most god awful place we've ever set foot in. Absolutely so ridiculously overpriced. 1. The stairs - or should we say ladder! Hauling your luggage up them is a mission! 2. Bob's Wifi. It actually turned into a little game trying to connect to Bob. Think you've got bars? Nope, just tricking! 3. The door to our room didn't actually lock 4.The bathroom, utterly disgusting. The whole floor was wet. All the time because of how the shower was set up.

• 13th Aug 2015

Expensive, but so is all the accomm in Amsterdam. Good location, easy to get to from the train station.