Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel Reviews

816 Haywood Road, Asheville, USA

The location in West Asheville is really good, since it is easy to get the bus to Downtown and there's a lot of fun things going on at Haywood Road (where the hostel is) too. Everyone was very friendly and they even have a hot tub! I recommend it.

Privat double room is very nice and privat but even though there is a lot of space hooks are missing. Interessting and nice collection of a lot of treasuries all over the hostel create a comfortable atmosphere.

The registration online at the time of my registering, only gave me the option to stay in the dorm room and the bed was less than desirable, but for the money I can't complain. Excellent value if comfort is not an issue.

• 16th Jun 2014

We welcome guests of all ages, but have found with some of our older ones who desire the economy of a bunk would really be more comfortable in a private. We are not sure what issue prevented this guest from booking a private online, but it could have been resolved by asking at check in if a private was available. It is true that our dorm beds are in fact dorm beds. We are in the process of upgrading dorm mattresses one by one as money allows. All private rooms have new mattress.

Words cannot express how wonderful Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel is. Joe, Myles and even Ruby the dog open their doors and welcome everyone individually into a truly unique and homely atmosphere. I look forward to keeping in touch with them and returning time and time again!

• 22nd Apr 2014

I loved this place. Really cool, laid back community atmosphere. The staff was helpful and friendly. Clean floors and bathrooms and kitchen - you can tell the place gets a lot of attention. I loved the front porch, and the West Asheville area is amazing with tons of cool pubs and restaurants.

• 14th Apr 2014

Neat little hostel in nice part of Asheville. Recommended definitely

This 'hostel' is almost worth the price. The facility is seedy and in need of some serious maintenance. The location-in West Asheville-is good and within ten minutes of the downtown 'fashionable' area. Six people in a tiny room is too many.

Franny and Joe were so nice! The bedrooms are clean, and you definitely can't beat Asheville this time of year. Thanks!

The staff woman was friendly and nice but reeked of BO. She smelled up the ENTIRE house (I am not exaggerating). As far as value goes, the night before, my friend and I stayed at a Best Western with two Queen beds (and our own bathroom) for $72. We paid $61 at the Hostel to share a Queen futon in a hot cramped room and practically wet ourselves waiting to get into the bathroom. But location was better. And, if you want to swap stories, the hostel wins

• 3rd Oct 2013

Wonderful homey atmosphere at hostel and staff very helpful.

The private room was an unattached cottage w/kitchen, towels, linens, a donated library of books, and even some tea and toiletries. Really cute. REALLY inexpensive, and absolutely cute. I couldn't recommend it enough. Also Joe is a pretty funny guy. Do stay here.

I really enjoyed my stay at the hostel. We stayed iun one of the two private rooms in the house. THe room was clean and pretty and painted a lovely shade of lavendar. SInce one wall was covered with windows , the room was bathed in morning sunlight. It was very peace, restful and a very comfortable temperature. THe manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be booking another stay here.

• 28th Jun 2013

It was a great stay. I felt safe and comfortable at all times. The staff was super friendly and welcoming.

• 8th Jun 2013

The hostel was in a great old house that made you easily feel at home. The girl that checked me in was super cool and very helpful. Was in West Asheville, very close to downtown and surrounded by cool shops and restaurants. Highly recommended.

Great home away from home. Super friendly staff, relaxing, in a very cool suburb and the bus to downtown is only $1 and down the road! Would be good if they had a night where they took guests to some local bars or something, but in saying that, drinks on the deck are great.

I had a great time staying here. The people and staff were very friendly and the atmosphere laid back and comfortable. The breakfast was simple but adequate and the rooms clean and comfortable. I will definitely consider staying here again!

Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I would have stayed longer if the beds had been more comfortable. Those foam pads just don't do the trick. That in combination with street noise (open windows) made for poor sleeping. Another thing, albeit small, is that guests shouldn't have to take their own towel every time they go to use the bathroom. Have hand towels or paper towels available for people to dry their hands.

We were there for three nights, and the hostel was always clean. The staff were friendly and made us feel welcome immediately, the facilities were clean and in good repair, and the atmosphere among the guests was friendly and open. I would stay there again; I'm glad I did this time.

• 11th Mar 2013

we enjoyed our stay at the hostel. I was very pleased to have hot water for a shower! We showed up early but were allowed in and the staff were nice. It got a little cold during the night but were provided extra blankets.

• 2nd Mar 2013

Bedding was cool (star wars blanket) but I felt kind of filthy after sleeping there. Reminds me of crashing on a couch in a dude's apartment- not horrible but definitely not the cleanest or most pleasant experience.

• 22nd Feb 2013