Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel Reviews

816 Haywood Road, Asheville, USA

The location in West Asheville is good, the beds are comfy, and the hostel is clean. Unfortunately, two unacceptable issues marred my stay. First, no staff were on hand one night. The hostel devolved into obscene pandemonium. A family of five found it so intolerable as to leave. Second, a vicious dog is kept at the hostel. The dog snarled and lunged at me more than once, bit my shoes, and bared its teeth and put them around my hand and my leg. This animal is an accident waiting to happen.

We're sorry for your unfortunate stay. The night we did not keep regular hours was Thanksgiving. Our apologies the other guest here that night did not behave themselves as we spent time with our families. The dog is a puppy and a herding breed. She has nipped at, but never drawn blood from anyone. She'll be moving out soon to avoid any potential incidents.

This is a wonderful Hostel. Clean and comfortable, the mattresses are made of foam, beats the hell out of the bunks you might expect. West Asheville is great, Bon Paul & Sharky's is blocks from it all.

this small place is off of Haywood St. in Asheville near cafes & pubs. come early as there's only 4 parking spaces. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way for you. Bring cash as they don't accept credit card for payment. They made some great suggestions. Security consists of knowing the passcode for the door lock. Atmosphere is laidback and beds cozy for a hostel. there is a shared bathroom for the 2 rooms but there's a lesser used 1 downstairs next to kitchen. would stay here again

Yep, we try to keep as much money in the local economy and not shipped off to the credit card companies. Please bring cash. We are having another bathroom installed this winter to cut down on wait times. Staff does live on site in case there are any after hours security emergencies. Our number is posted, or just holler downstairs. PS- We're on Haywood "Road", not "Street" - just don't want anyone to get lost. Thanks!

This was a nice place to stay for a night and everyone was very friendly and generally considerate including staff. However, the quality of the mattresses in the rooms varied a lot - I got one that was very poor and had no support at all so I basically slept on wooden planks all night while I noticed some of the other mattresses were memory foam. They could benefit from making sure all mattresses are of decent quality if they're going to charge the same rate for single beds.

• 26th Oct 2014

Yep, we are in the process of changing out all the mattresses as money allows. Sorry you got one of the last to be changed over. I think we're down to two left that need to be switched. We should have that complete by the end of the year.

Really great place to stay in Asheville! Plenty to walk to for quality coffee, bars, and restaurants. mmmm Nine Mile for dinner! A short $12 uber to downtown Asheville. Super comfy beds!

• 24th Oct 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at Bon Paul & Sharky's. I made new friends in my fellow travelers and the staff alike. There was a nice sense of community there and after 3 days I felt very at home. The staff had great suggestions for activities and hang-outs. This hostel is located in West Asheville, which is separate from downtown Asheville. There are a lot of options in West Asheville, or you can venture into downtown as well. It's got everything from dive bars to the Biltmore.

This was a fun stay. My first hostel in the North American continent. They have a cash only policy that I was unaware of, but there's an atm one block away and they were so kind. They let me check in and get settled before I went and got cash. Also, they have a camping option! Wish I had known before hand that this was available. I could have saved some $, but over all I had a wonderful stay. I will probably stay there again...and camp next time!

Great spot in West Asheville. Near plenty to eat and drink. The best part is the vast porch for for people meeting and people watching.

Great hostel. Good location, rooms are nice, staff are very friendly. Wifi works very well. I would stay here again.

The location in West Asheville is really good, since it is easy to get the bus to Downtown and there's a lot of fun things going on at Haywood Road (where the hostel is) too. Everyone was very friendly and they even have a hot tub! I recommend it.

Privat double room is very nice and privat but even though there is a lot of space hooks are missing. Interessting and nice collection of a lot of treasuries all over the hostel create a comfortable atmosphere.

We've added hooks in the private rooms to hang whatevers. The bunks have always had them. Nice suggestion. Hopefully we don't fail on the facilities part next time.

The registration online at the time of my registering, only gave me the option to stay in the dorm room and the bed was less than desirable, but for the money I can't complain. Excellent value if comfort is not an issue.

• 16th Jun 2014

We welcome guests of all ages, but have found with some of our older ones who desire the economy of a bunk would really be more comfortable in a private. We are not sure what issue prevented this guest from booking a private online, but it could have been resolved by asking at check in if a private was available. It is true that our dorm beds are in fact dorm beds. We are in the process of upgrading dorm mattresses one by one as money allows. All private rooms have new mattress.

Words cannot express how wonderful Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel is. Joe, Myles and even Ruby the dog open their doors and welcome everyone individually into a truly unique and homely atmosphere. I look forward to keeping in touch with them and returning time and time again!

• 22nd Apr 2014

I loved this place. Really cool, laid back community atmosphere. The staff was helpful and friendly. Clean floors and bathrooms and kitchen - you can tell the place gets a lot of attention. I loved the front porch, and the West Asheville area is amazing with tons of cool pubs and restaurants.

• 14th Apr 2014

Neat little hostel in nice part of Asheville. Recommended definitely

This 'hostel' is almost worth the price. The facility is seedy and in need of some serious maintenance. The location-in West Asheville-is good and within ten minutes of the downtown 'fashionable' area. Six people in a tiny room is too many.

Franny and Joe were so nice! The bedrooms are clean, and you definitely can't beat Asheville this time of year. Thanks!

The staff woman was friendly and nice but reeked of BO. She smelled up the ENTIRE house (I am not exaggerating). As far as value goes, the night before, my friend and I stayed at a Best Western with two Queen beds (and our own bathroom) for $72. We paid $61 at the Hostel to share a Queen futon in a hot cramped room and practically wet ourselves waiting to get into the bathroom. But location was better. And, if you want to swap stories, the hostel wins

• 3rd Oct 2013

Wonderful homey atmosphere at hostel and staff very helpful.

The private room was an unattached cottage w/kitchen, towels, linens, a donated library of books, and even some tea and toiletries. Really cute. REALLY inexpensive, and absolutely cute. I couldn't recommend it enough. Also Joe is a pretty funny guy. Do stay here.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6