Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel Reviews

816 Haywood Road, Asheville, North Carolina, USA

I loved this place. Really cool, laid back community atmosphere. The staff was helpful and friendly. Clean floors and bathrooms and kitchen - you can tell the place gets a lot of attention. I loved the front porch, and the West Asheville area is amazing with tons of cool pubs and restaurants.

• 14th Apr 2014

Neat little hostel in nice part of Asheville. Recommended definitely

This 'hostel' is almost worth the price. The facility is seedy and in need of some serious maintenance. The location-in West Asheville-is good and within ten minutes of the downtown 'fashionable' area. Six people in a tiny room is too many.

Franny and Joe were so nice! The bedrooms are clean, and you definitely can't beat Asheville this time of year. Thanks!

The staff woman was friendly and nice but reeked of BO. She smelled up the ENTIRE house (I am not exaggerating). As far as value goes, the night before, my friend and I stayed at a Best Western with two Queen beds (and our own bathroom) for $72. We paid $61 at the Hostel to share a Queen futon in a hot cramped room and practically wet ourselves waiting to get into the bathroom. But location was better. And, if you want to swap stories, the hostel wins

• 3rd Oct 2013

Wonderful homey atmosphere at hostel and staff very helpful.

The private room was an unattached cottage w/kitchen, towels, linens, a donated library of books, and even some tea and toiletries. Really cute. REALLY inexpensive, and absolutely cute. I couldn't recommend it enough. Also Joe is a pretty funny guy. Do stay here.

I really enjoyed my stay at the hostel. We stayed iun one of the two private rooms in the house. THe room was clean and pretty and painted a lovely shade of lavendar. SInce one wall was covered with windows , the room was bathed in morning sunlight. It was very peace, restful and a very comfortable temperature. THe manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be booking another stay here.

• 28th Jun 2013

It was a great stay. I felt safe and comfortable at all times. The staff was super friendly and welcoming.

• 8th Jun 2013

The hostel was in a great old house that made you easily feel at home. The girl that checked me in was super cool and very helpful. Was in West Asheville, very close to downtown and surrounded by cool shops and restaurants. Highly recommended.

Great home away from home. Super friendly staff, relaxing, in a very cool suburb and the bus to downtown is only $1 and down the road! Would be good if they had a night where they took guests to some local bars or something, but in saying that, drinks on the deck are great.

I had a great time staying here. The people and staff were very friendly and the atmosphere laid back and comfortable. The breakfast was simple but adequate and the rooms clean and comfortable. I will definitely consider staying here again!

Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I would have stayed longer if the beds had been more comfortable. Those foam pads just don't do the trick. That in combination with street noise (open windows) made for poor sleeping. Another thing, albeit small, is that guests shouldn't have to take their own towel every time they go to use the bathroom. Have hand towels or paper towels available for people to dry their hands.

We were there for three nights, and the hostel was always clean. The staff were friendly and made us feel welcome immediately, the facilities were clean and in good repair, and the atmosphere among the guests was friendly and open. I would stay there again; I'm glad I did this time.

• 11th Mar 2013

we enjoyed our stay at the hostel. I was very pleased to have hot water for a shower! We showed up early but were allowed in and the staff were nice. It got a little cold during the night but were provided extra blankets.

• 2nd Mar 2013

Bedding was cool (star wars blanket) but I felt kind of filthy after sleeping there. Reminds me of crashing on a couch in a dude's apartment- not horrible but definitely not the cleanest or most pleasant experience.

• 22nd Feb 2013

I loved this place! Right from the start it was a nice experience - the staff is so friendly and the hostel is so homey, I met a really good new friend there! The hostel is not located downtown, but instead in a very cute area where you can find everything you need; grocery, coffee, bars, restaurants, bakery, laundry service. I totally recommend it - it's better than many other hostels I stayed in!

Staff made us feel very welcome, such a sweet well facilitated house with a good feel!

My boyfriend and I stayed at Bon Paul & Sharky's for 3 nights and had an amazing time. The location was great (lots bars and coffee shops all around) and the staff was so kind and helpful. We didn't know to much about Asheville and it was great to stay at this hostel, get a feel for the city and make new friends. I would absolutely go back.

• 29th Dec 2012

Extremely clean, very nice kitchen, good photos and art on the walls. Orderly without being officious. Everything works well and one feels secure and organized here. Neighborhood is interesting, has bars, coffee shops, and a lovely organic food store. Excellent wine store across the road, also a couple of pizza shops. Safe and parking seems perfectly secure. The management was honestly friendly without being invasive. During my stay here the hostel attracted a very cool and easy-going group.

• 21st Nov 2012