Books Hostel Reviews

Rua Francisco Muratori, 10, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Books hostel has a really cool vibe, and is perfectly situated in Lapa. The nice shared area, happy hour, and the friendliness of the staff give it a very homely vibe. The only downside which is feel must be said was that my bed had bed bugs, which bit me to pieces. The staff responded well, allowing me to move beds, and discounting my stay. The room I was in did not feel that clean either, but that is hard to achieve in a room full of 8 backpackers!

Books hostel has an incredible atmosphere and is a guaranteed the most fun you'll have in Rio. Crazy and committed staff will make sure that you'll enjoy your stay whether you want to chill by the bar all day or do some sight-seeing. Side note: Books is the ONLY hostel in Rio to offer tours to Cat Park, an incredibly life changing sight - some say it's even better than Igazu Falls. in addition the breakfast is BEST, worth waking up for even if you have the world's worst hangover and it's CLEAN!

• 9th Aug 2014

Books Hostel is an excellent place with a nice vibe. International and multilingual staff is very welcoming and helpful at all times. Rooms are simple but beds are very comfy, showers are hot and relatively clean - depending on time of usage;) The bar downstairs offers reasonably priced drinks and especially on weekends offers a great opportunity to meet people and start off for a night out in Lapa. Excellent location - great atmosphere!

This place is amazing. Felipe, the owner, even went to the pharmacy with me when I needed medication. Staff is excellent. Only reason not to come to Books would be if you're on a tight schedule. Because everybody always stays longer than planned here.... Love Books!

Wow. It was my 3rd stay at Books and I can't get enough of the place. They put on such an effort for the World Cup so there was a real buzz about the place but you could still have cosy chats with the staff over breakfast, or share a meal with everyone in the hostel. No where else in the WORLD has the atmosphere that Books creates. What would I change? I would have more control over the music haha :)

The best stay i ever had. Helpful staff, good location next to street bars in lapa. Was ace!

Pros:Great &English speaking staff(Nina rocks!), good breakfast,central location,relatively clean comparing to the number of guests during the world cup(despite of 2 times of water and internet outage). Cons:This is a party hostel, there is a very loud bar@ground floor,book a 2nd floor room&bring your best ear plugs. Loads of mosquito around,just don't open the windows! The district is a middle class&young people party area.It is dirty &smells urine. Your room is exposed, bring your lockers!

What a place! Had travelled for 6 months and spent my last 2 weeks at books and it was easily the best 2 weeks. The atmosphere there was superb and the staff were brilliant, they all went out of their way to make sure you had a good time. And Phillipe, what a legend, what a beard!

Best place I've ever stayed at in all my travels. Thank you so much for making my World Cup experience so so so awesome.

Me and a friend stayed here for a week - loved it! We miss it already! Xx

• 30th Jun 2014

One of the best all around hostels I have stayed in. Definitely a party hostel and the staff was amazing, will miss Felipe, Steff, and Nina for sure.

If you're in Rio to meet fun people and party, this is the absolutely the perfect place (if you want a chiller, mellower vibe... it's not for you). Awesome location for nightlife in Lapa and a short walk (8 min?) to the Metro. And the staff was always super friendly and helpful.

The worst hostel I have ever slept in, and I've slept in a huge range around the world over several years. The bed was absolutely filthy. The pillow was yellow with stains and practically damp. The sheets were no better and the mattress disgusting. The room windows actually overlook the common bar area so there is no fresh air and the room smells humid. I left after 1 night even though I had 4 booked it was that bad.

I stayed for the World Cup.....all the prices for everywhere were overrated except here, amazing stay, amazing bar, the staff were the best. That nice was the stay that i came back . Stay been like now....best hostel in Rio for sure. Hope to see you again!!!

This hostel had some great aspects and were very friendly and helpful...BUT...if you want to sleep at all...don't go here. The party music and general rowdyness was so loud that we only got about 3 hours of sleep all night...so if you are looking for a quiet place to get some rest, look elsewhere!

Best hostel I have stayed in. Staff and Felipe are amazing. Happy hour is great and brings the people at the hostel together. Already miss staying there!

Very close to the pub and club area. 10 mins walk from metro. Could have more bathrooms with hot showers. Place to go if you are a party animal.

Excellent place to party, but a bit messy and rooms not pleasant.

Great Hostel, all the staff were super helpful and friendly. They helped me to write messages to some Brazilian honeys in Portuguese. There was a great atmosphere downstairs by the bar, good party and pre-drink vibes. My friends were staying around the corner at a different hostel and got all of there stuff robbed, but my stuff was ok. I'd highly recommend it, the prices are pretty steep during the world cup, but that's to be expected everywhere really. GOOOOOOOO

The security was really bad, anybody could enter into our rooms cause we didn't have any possible way to lock the door. They changed our rooms like 3 times in 4 nights.The breakfast was good. The girls working at reception were nice but they were having big problems with basic maths regarding the price that we had to pay. But the worst thing was the drug use. I know that it's hard to avoid that with so many people, but i saw that some hostel staff were involved in the trade of drugs like cocaine

« first « Prev 1 2 3