Books Hostel Reviews

Rua Francisco Muratori, 10, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great hostel, easy to meet new people, secure, clean, good wifi, staff friendly and helpful, lively but considerate for guests who want to sleep by having a curfew for the beer and music about midnight if I remember correctly. Metro connection close, bus even closer, walking distance for nightlife. Overall top hostel and would stay there again if in Rio.

• 7th Apr 2015

Amazing hostel, second time staying here and was amazing as the first! All the staff and Felipe the owner are fab!!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Been travelling for 3 months and this is the best hostel we've stayed in so far!! Books is the perfect mix between a place to party and a place to chill out. Looking forward to coming back already!

The hostel is located in the border of Lapa and Santa Teresa. It is pretty crowded with young people, there is party music nearly everynight until 23.30, so do not expect to sleep there before that haha. In my opinion it is a pretty regular hostel, just with a focus on party and such. The breakfast is OK i guess, it is mostly sausage, cheese, milk, bread, marmelade and such, probably not the most vitamins, but the per night price is also fair. Not a bad place, if you want party and such.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Kosovo

I've stayed at Books before and it was one of my favorite hostels ever, but this time I was a little disappointed. I remember the hostel being cleaner, and this time the bathrooms were very dirty, full of garbage and, sometimes, unfunctional. It was also kinda odd that the staff, at least when I arrived, didn't speak portuguese at all! Lucky me that I speak and understand a little english... I really like the place, but can't deny the disappointment this time.

WiFi was good in the hostel, and breakfast was good with fruits, cheese, meat, bread and cereals. The bar was quite noisy at night, and the smell of smoke would enter the rooms, but the staff were quite nice and helpful - they fixed the locker so I could use my lock and actually leave my stuff for the day. The bathrooms were not cleaned in the two days I was there, and the bins were overflowing with paper and the paper ran out so we needed more. An ok hostel for the price.

Sad to leave. Had such a great time, staff were all awesome, and met some cool people. Happy hour every night.

• 26th Mar 2015

Had a great time here, can really recommend this hostel.

We stayed at Books Hostel for one Week. The room was nice and tidy and there was enough space for everyone. We had such an amazing time at Bookshostel - The bar team was very friendly and made good Caipirinhas :-) The staff is very helpful and friendly as well - they really want that you have a good time. There could be more showers & toilets at the Hostel and the bar should been open longer. Cheers David & Jan

This is party hostel, so it is not for everyone (including me). I would recommend this place for people in their early 20s who have fun getting drunk and prefer socializing with an anglosaxon crowd

I loved this hostel! It's really fun and social. It's in Lapa and in a great place for party and the touristy stuff. The staff and owner are all awesome and helpful. Breakfast was pretty good and the social areas really get people to mingle. Thanks peeps! Loved it!

Great party hostel. Bathrooms need a bit work and upgrading.

This was hands down, the best hostel I've ever stayed at. The only reason I took a point off for atmosphere is because if you aren't into the crazy party atmosphere, Books may not be for you.

• 18th Mar 2015

Fantastic place. Would definitely stay there again.

Books hostel was one of the best hostels Ive stayed at, in Brazil or any of the 15+ countries that Ive stayed at hostels in. The atmosphere is incredible, cool people always around..happy hour at the bar starts at 7 and usually the whole hostel is there to socialize and party. The staff is the best part: Felipe, the owner is super nice, helpful, and knowledgeable, and the other staff members are just as awesome. They make you feel absolutely at home and welcome. Couldnt recommend it more!!

Thanks a lot!

This was a GREAT hostel! I traveled to Brazil alone and found many friends at Books because the staff is so welcoming and intentionally creates an atmosphere of 'home'. They celebrate happy hour together, go out together in the evening, and offer lots of suggestions of places to go and things to do. They were knowledgeable about everything and that local knowledge is exactly what made my trip so spectacular!

Awesome hostel and one of the best breakfasts Ive seen so far in a hostel.

Great atmosphere, staff are really helpful, give you the low down on where to go etc. Great base from which to explore Rio.

Everything was excellent in Books Hostel! If I ever come back to Río I will definitely come back!

Thanks man! We are really delighted to read this!

It was really nice to spend some time at this awesome hotel! Although the location is not that close from the main places in Rio (Copacabana, Ipanema, Corcovado, etc); the place was really cool, the rooms are all very clean and organized, the staff was very helpful and the bar was just perfect :)

• 21st Feb 2015