Books Hostel Reviews

Rua Francisco Muratori, 10, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This is as close as I've ever come to hostel perfection! The atmosphere was incredibly conducive to meeting people, the staff all spoke English and were really helpful, the rooms were spacious, the wifi was excellent, the breakfast was good. It is a party hostel, but the bar area closes at 11pm so if you don't want to go out its not too disruptive. My only criticisms would be there are too few bathrooms and although Lapa has great nightlife it's not a particularly nice neighbourhood.

Probably the best hostel I've stayed in so farfar. Spending my 3 weeks in Rio here and it never gets old. The staff are great and Felipe makes you feel like home. Awesome experience! Highly recommended!

Hands down the best hostel I stayed at in my month in Brazil. Extended my stay twice up to 10 days it was so fun. There's a party every night if you want it, or if you're too wrecked from last night, just chill until about midnight when things quiet down. Really nice breakfast, staff, open common area, water filter, atmosphere, etc. Would absolutely only stay here if coming back to Rio.

Been all over the world and this was one of the best hostels I've stayed in! Loved it!

Defintily a party hostel :-). Really nice to stay there,

Loved this hostel. Extremely comfortable beds, great breakfast and Felipe is the host with the most. Extremely social and party atmosphere. However bring your earplugs for sleeping.

Just brilliant. Great atmosphere and easy going staff/owner. Would love to go back!

Great hostel, easy to meet new people, secure, clean, good wifi, staff friendly and helpful, lively but considerate for guests who want to sleep by having a curfew for the beer and music about midnight if I remember correctly. Metro connection close, bus even closer, walking distance for nightlife. Overall top hostel and would stay there again if in Rio.

• 7th Apr 2015

Amazing hostel, second time staying here and was amazing as the first! All the staff and Felipe the owner are fab!!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Great hostel, no matter what your mood is, hostel suits all needs. Great location, and a stone throw away from main beaches and Santa Teresa. Felippe is a don!

Been travelling for 3 months and this is the best hostel we've stayed in so far!! Books is the perfect mix between a place to party and a place to chill out. Looking forward to coming back already!

The hostel is located in the border of Lapa and Santa Teresa. It is pretty crowded with young people, there is party music nearly everynight until 23.30, so do not expect to sleep there before that haha. In my opinion it is a pretty regular hostel, just with a focus on party and such. The breakfast is OK i guess, it is mostly sausage, cheese, milk, bread, marmelade and such, probably not the most vitamins, but the per night price is also fair. Not a bad place, if you want party and such.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Kosovo

I've stayed at Books before and it was one of my favorite hostels ever, but this time I was a little disappointed. I remember the hostel being cleaner, and this time the bathrooms were very dirty, full of garbage and, sometimes, unfunctional. It was also kinda odd that the staff, at least when I arrived, didn't speak portuguese at all! Lucky me that I speak and understand a little english... I really like the place, but can't deny the disappointment this time.

WiFi was good in the hostel, and breakfast was good with fruits, cheese, meat, bread and cereals. The bar was quite noisy at night, and the smell of smoke would enter the rooms, but the staff were quite nice and helpful - they fixed the locker so I could use my lock and actually leave my stuff for the day. The bathrooms were not cleaned in the two days I was there, and the bins were overflowing with paper and the paper ran out so we needed more. An ok hostel for the price.

Sad to leave. Had such a great time, staff were all awesome, and met some cool people. Happy hour every night.

Good social hostel, great staff, nice breakfast and good bar. Could be a little cleaner and not many bathrooms for the number of people there.

Had a great time here, can really recommend this hostel.

Felipe is doing an awesome job! It´s the best hostel i stayed in and i´d recommend everybody to stay there!

We stayed at Books Hostel for one Week. The room was nice and tidy and there was enough space for everyone. We had such an amazing time at Bookshostel - The bar team was very friendly and made good Caipirinhas :-) The staff is very helpful and friendly as well - they really want that you have a good time. There could be more showers & toilets at the Hostel and the bar should been open longer. Cheers David & Jan

This is party hostel, so it is not for everyone (including me). I would recommend this place for people in their early 20s who have fun getting drunk and prefer socializing with an anglosaxon crowd

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels