Books Hostel Reviews

Rua Francisco Muratori, 10, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

One of the best all around hostels I have stayed in. Definitely a party hostel and the staff was amazing, will miss Felipe, Steff, and Nina for sure.

If you're in Rio to meet fun people and party, this is the absolutely the perfect place (if you want a chiller, mellower vibe... it's not for you). Awesome location for nightlife in Lapa and a short walk (8 min?) to the Metro. And the staff was always super friendly and helpful.

The worst hostel I have ever slept in, and I've slept in a huge range around the world over several years. The bed was absolutely filthy. The pillow was yellow with stains and practically damp. The sheets were no better and the mattress disgusting. The room windows actually overlook the common bar area so there is no fresh air and the room smells humid. I left after 1 night even though I had 4 booked it was that bad.

I stayed for the World Cup.....all the prices for everywhere were overrated except here, amazing stay, amazing bar, the staff were the best. That nice was the stay that i came back . Stay been like now....best hostel in Rio for sure. Hope to see you again!!!

This hostel had some great aspects and were very friendly and helpful...BUT...if you want to sleep at all...don't go here. The party music and general rowdyness was so loud that we only got about 3 hours of sleep all night...so if you are looking for a quiet place to get some rest, look elsewhere!

Best hostel I have stayed in. Staff and Felipe are amazing. Happy hour is great and brings the people at the hostel together. Already miss staying there!

Very close to the pub and club area. 10 mins walk from metro. Could have more bathrooms with hot showers. Place to go if you are a party animal.

Excellent place to party, but a bit messy and rooms not pleasant.

Great Hostel, all the staff were super helpful and friendly. They helped me to write messages to some Brazilian honeys in Portuguese. There was a great atmosphere downstairs by the bar, good party and pre-drink vibes. My friends were staying around the corner at a different hostel and got all of there stuff robbed, but my stuff was ok. I'd highly recommend it, the prices are pretty steep during the world cup, but that's to be expected everywhere really. GOOOOOOOO

The security was really bad, anybody could enter into our rooms cause we didn't have any possible way to lock the door. They changed our rooms like 3 times in 4 nights.The breakfast was good. The girls working at reception were nice but they were having big problems with basic maths regarding the price that we had to pay. But the worst thing was the drug use. I know that it's hard to avoid that with so many people, but i saw that some hostel staff were involved in the trade of drugs like cocaine

Great base to explore Rio - breakfast is brilliant, Felipe is beyond helpful and the rest of the staff go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay.

Went back 18 months later, remains one of the best hostel I ever stayed, unique atmosphere, the owner, Felipe, is a great person. It's the only hostel where you can buy drinks from the bar (very cheap and tasty caipirinha) but also bring your own. This is a party hostel some people can be noisy, but the fun is guaranteed. Great breakfast also. Far from the beach but 2 blocks from the best nightlife in Rio.

Staff are friendly and helpful but most people who stay there enjoys partying so it is actually quite difficult to get some decent rest. Toilets aren't clean and well-maintained so they are pretty dirty.

Location is pretty alright as it is close to the nightlife area and takes around 5 minutes to walk to the metro. Breakfast is good as there is a variety of fruits and food to choose from. However, if you are not interested in partying, this hostel might not be the place to stay at. They start blasting music until 11pm or so. Had a bad experience on the 1st day - I arrived at 2pm and the person who was supposed to check out was still lying in bed and I heard other customers suffered the situation

The staff here are amazingly helpful and the atmosphere is great. If you don't want to party with the rest of the hostel every night just put in your ear plugs! Happy hour 2 for 1 drinks was great. They make the best caiprihinas!

I LOVE BOOKS HOSTEL. I came for 2 days and stayed for over a week. This is one of the best if not the best hostel I've stayed at in all my travels, the staff are amazing and make you feel like part of the family (Felipe and Drew I love you guys!), caprihinas are the best, happy hour every day, always something to do day or night, good location in Lapa for street parties and bars...but also perfect if you wanna go 20 mins to the beach and sleep all day. Wish I never had to leave! :-)

Books is definitely a hostel for people who are willing to accept they will get no sleep for a few days :D The staff is fantastic and muticultural, which in my opinion is the best thing about the place. If you're the kind of person who likes your space, peace and quiet - then Books is not really for you. My advice: soak in the atmosphere for a few days at this awesome hostel and then go recover at a more secluded spot. The location is perfect! You are within walking distance to great attractions

It's really the people here that make this hostel. The staff are lots of fun and create a very social environment for all the guests. It's a little bit far from the beaches, but the proximity to Lapa made up for it. Being in Lapa, it's easy to walk to the best nightlife Rio has to offer.

Couldn't have wished for a better stay in Rio. The staff were fantastic, so helpful and friendly. Really made you feel welcome! Will reccomend books to everyone I meet. I can't wait to come back!

Good hostel if you want to make party. Everyday cocktails and happy hour (very delicious, BIG THANKS to Drew and George ;) ) a lot of people from England, so you can speak english without problems. Just one crazy chicken (woman) at the breakfast watching you all time :/ Breakfast was very delicious and yummy! very good fruits and toasts. Improvement recommendations: very loudly place, could be more quiet.Staff has very poor information about the city (no city maps etc.)

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels