Books Hostel Reviews

Rua Francisco Muratori, 10, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great vibes, great staff, great breakfast, great wifi. Only downside was many of the toilets and showers barely functioned.

Ok. I am working to fix it! It is better now but for the world cup we will be ready. Don't ever feel reviews are not helpfull to us, we are just mixing. If you see pictures from what it was, and what it became, you would see that we put a lot of effort/money and we will do it until we find this place serving very well it purpose!

It´s party every night, so noise. Washrooom is not enough if there´s full people. otherwise, Clean linen & location is easy to take the bus & metro.

Book´s Hostel is my new family in Brazil, where we met the coolest guest of our trip and have the best parties in Rio. perfect location to stay close of the parties avoiding the need of transport by night. So good to meet the owner and fell like is not just a bussiness- Captain Felipe, we love you and are coming back.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

Good place to meet ppl! also nice that they stop the music at 00.00 so you can have a sleep. staff are excellent! bathrooms are very basic. I would recommend this place!

We will come back! :D Flush on 2 toilets on level 2 could work better :P

fantastic hostel with very good atmosphere, very nice bar area with amazing grafitti.

We spent three nights in this hostel and we were impressed with the rudeness and lack of support from staff of the hostel. Besides that, the atmosphere is depressive and non-inviting. Overall the hostel is fine, but it promises much more than what it can offer, including rooms with inadequate air conditioning.

Sir, the staff was not good and was replaced. Not worries about it. About being non-inviting, it is a personal judgement, and I think it shouldn't be written here, considering that it is difficult to messure how wright or wrong it is, and reviews, in general, should be something more general, that people could messure or see when they come.

this hostel could do with a pool! bar and common room area were really hot and lacked ventilation. free breakfast was plentiful. 2 for 1 caiparinhas at the bar between 7pm and 8pm was good, though was a shame it closed at 11pm weekdays. found staff to be a bit hit and miss. rooms were decent, comfy bets (relative to hostels); location is in Lapa close to bars and clubs. particularly great at the weekend. bit of a journey to get to the beaches. overall good.

Since this summer, with crazy temperatures, we bought at least 3 news fans for common area. The bar has to close 11pm for some reason, the neighborhood and actually the fact that people should go and do stuff in Rio, despite off stay in the hostel the hole time. The journey to go to the beach can be avoided by tube, but sure, if you want to enjoy only the beach, it is smarter to be at the beach for the week, and Lapa for the weekend. Staff were replaced already! Don't worry!

Bedroom comfortable with AC, but they really need to have another one in the common area. Breakfast is ok. Bathrooms are clearly not enough, there were only two in my floor (for about 30 people!!!) and the last two days they were both out of order. The staff was half and half: the frenchs working at the bar were great, but the italian girl at reception wasn't nice at all, she didn't even say good morning and never smiled. The owner didn't seem so nice and welcoming to me like everyone else say.

Hey Honey, I am sorry for that. We are working to improve. Bathrooms were divided in two. I can admit that I was not on my best shape. I am sorry I was not friendly at that time. I hope it didn't bother you too much.

Really amazing hostel in the Lapa district. The facilities, price of the drinks, breakfast, and even pillows were amazing! The bar even shuts down early to force people into the Lapa district to continue the partying or have an early night's rest.

Thanks Calvin! Good reviews are always welcome, and bad reviews always lead us to improve!

We had a blast. Very diverse group of people and it was a party atmosphere which was what we were looking for.

I highly recommend this hostel. One of my favourites. Great breakfast. Great pillows and comfy sturdy beds. Bathrooms are cleaned often! And to top everything - Felipe is one great man!

The staff and persons staying at Books we wonderful. I highly recommend this hostel for anyone coming to Rio. I made many life long connections here and felt at home and it was the most comfortable sleep I had in Rio (I stayed in 4 bed dorm). This is where I began my incredible journey in Brazil. Captain Felipe and his crew were very helpful and fun to chill with.

• 24th Dec 2013
  • Bermuda

Hostel was located in a good position. there is music most of the time so its quite loud in the rooms as well. If you like it quiet this is not a good place. The hostel staff can be quite helpful with information but some of them were a bit unfriendly.

books hostel is amazing got a great atmosphere and met some amazing people would definitely go back without a shadow of a doubt Philippe is cool and chilled out and happy hour caipirinhas what can I say .... peace

• 20th Dec 2013

Breakfast was amazing, beds and pillows very comfortable. Staff are very nice, atmosphere is great. Location is also very good. Thankyou for everything and for being so helpful when i found myself without a place to stay over new years!!!

• 19th Dec 2013

My stay at Books was interesting. First night they messed up my room and I got woken up by the kid's bed I was in. Whatever, no biggie. The last night there I had the room to myself, I get home and one of the staff members or permanent residents or whatever is banging a girl in the room and had the door propped shut, tells me to F*$# off and come back in 15 minutes... Next morning a fight broke out between some staff members and some residents. Still had a fine time, but the place is sketchy.

most guys in the staff were very nice and helpful but one person was kind of rude.

Party hostel in the party neighborhood of Rio. Don't expect to get any sleep!

We had bedbugs