8.2
Fabulous 568 Total Reviews
8.2
Fabulous 568 Total Reviews
Borders Beyond Located at 8 Nixon St Ponsonby Auckland, , Auckland.
New Zealand
Auckland 1021 8 Nixon St Ponsonby Auckland
82% 568
-36.8614203 174.7522205
    Rooms available

• England, Female, 18-24
3rd Sep 2016

really cosy, like a small house. Reception staff super helpful! Clean. Comfy bed. Warm. Only thing is, another girl and myself felt excluded.. A lot of French(which im totally fine with) - but seem to always speak their own language, making it impossible to join in on anything. Kitchen... very small, I never cooked there because it was always being used, one day someone took 4 hours to cook, using all of the facilities. Kind of felt like I was intruding on their home. Overall, nice hostel :)

31st Aug 2016
7.4

Reasonably simple to find, casual atmosphere, somewhat stuffed with a pack of staff/travelers, who seemed decent folk. The staff were quite accommodating to my odd arrival times. Reasonable place to first land, hostelwise.

17th Aug 2016
6.6

The management was extremely approachable and helpful in a way that didn't feel forced or fake which is always nice. The downfalls are mainly the pay showers and a messy feel. It wasn't gross or disgusting but certainly not the cleanest hostel I have stayed at. Another factor is location which could become an issue as parking seemed limited but that's Auckland for ya. Definitely a louder party type atmosphere and that may or may not work for some people, I personally enjoyed it.

• Northern Ireland, Female, 41+
14th Jul 2016

I really, really enjoyed my stay at Borders Beyond. I arrived quite late (7pm) but Thomas was very helpful, telling me all the places I could go for food, meals etc. The next day David was also very helpful, sorting me out with my taxi for when I left, and generally helping me. I'm probably older that the average hosteller but Borders Beyond was grand for me. Tea, coffee to share, near the centre of Auckland and reasonably priced. I was glad I'd got a room to myself but that's age, I guess!!

Glad to hear that you had a good time with us. Take care

• England, Couple, 25-30
24th Jun 2016
6.0

It seemed as though a lot of people lived here long term or worked here for there accommodation and it felt like we were a guest in their house to be honest. They play their music really loud in the communal space which is already too small for the amount of guests staying there. One girl was always in the kitchen holding things in the air and shouting at everybody for not washing up. Its great that she wanted to keep the place clean, but it felt a bit hostile. There was no key for dorms??

Hi sorry to hear about your discomfort. We take on board your remarks. However during the length of your stay you never mentioned anything to the staff or the management team, to be able to act on it. As for the keys we do have them available on request at the office as explained during the check in. Have a great trip.

• poolswift
  • Singapore, Mixed Group, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
7.1

Small hostel in a great location by K Road and Ponsonby. Generally enjoyed my stay. The owner is French so you will get to meet alot of French people who are on the Working Holiday Programme, so they will spend the whole day in the hostel common room looking for jobs online. The worst part about the hostel is that you have to pay 50 cents each time you take a shower, and the water stops running after 8 minutes because the hostel is trying to conserve water!

Thanks for your comment. Regarding the shower, we do mention it in the hostel description on Hostelworld and on our website. Have a good trip

• England, Couple, 18-24
4.0

Staff member very welcoming and helpful. This hostel was mostly made up of permanent travellers living there, it had a very small kitchen/living area for the amount of people. Toilets and showers were located in the kitchen which gave you no privacy! Bedroom walls were paper thin, and it felt like the people in the next room were sitting next to you, room was not too clean and too much light came in to sleep. Felt really uncomfortable and awkward using toilets/shower and kitchen.

Hi Regarding the layout of the common area, we, unfortunately cannot change it. Saying that the showers and toilets do have doors and locks in order to provide privacy. As for the guest we host people from everywhere and they stay anything from 1 night to several weeks. But being a small hostel it does create a homey feeling very quickly indeed.

• emmawatts
  • Australia, Female, 18-24
16th Jun 2016

Really good hostel- about 20 minute walk to city centre but the neighbourhood it is located in is lovely and close to supermarket! Was always clean and the staff were really helpful :) would definitely stay again.

Thanks

• New Zealand, Male, 41+
4th Jun 2016
8.0

Thomas made me feel welcome and very helpfull

27th Apr 2016
7.7

Nice hostel. We arrived and the guy at the front desk was extremely helpful with everything we asked. He even carried my bags up to my room, which was very nice. We got upgraded to a private. Rooms were clean and nicely made. Only downside was paper thin walls, so you could hear everything going on in the next room. Only one female and male washroom and all the way down on the main level. But all in all we had a good one night stay.