Borders Beyond Reviews

8 Nixon St Ponsonby Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Really nice hostel with an really enjoyable atmosphaere!

Excellent place to stay in Auckland, especially for the price and the quality you offer specialist, is one of the cheapest hostels in the city. David and the staff always smiling and helping in whatever you need, we stayed on two occasions because the location is great, about 15 minutes walk from the center and about 10 minutes walk from the bus stop that brings you to the airport, near the hostel there are many places to eat and a supermarket. During our stay we saw the staff always keeping the

Nice French-owned hostel, relaxed atmosphere though the big tv doesn't help. Laundry facilities are used for the hostel itself most of the times, so you kinda have to be lucky to get to use them as a guest. Wifi (first hour free) and computers available, three small but free places to park and a well equipped kitchen make it an okay base for those who travel by car. Located just off of Ponsonby, but in a less-than-scenic industrial area. Owner is helpful and bunks are okay. All in all: average.

Thank you for your review. I need to correct some inaccurate comments:we do have 5 free carparks at all times for the guests to use and 8 more over the week ends. (off street carpark is free too). About The Laundry, guest always have the priority, the hostel uses it only if it is free and offers to start it up for you if it is busy when you require it. Thanks again

Great little hostel, there was a mix up wi my booking so I was put in a double room for a couple of days which was really nice of them to do so. The guy that runs the hostel is great, can have a laugh with they guy plus very helpful. Defiantly be back there when in auckland

The guy in charge was friendly, on top of things, helpful! For whatever reason, people staying at this hostel weren't very affable, whenever I was in the kitchen area, everyone just watching tv... Beds were comfortable, glad they provided lockers. Not a fan of the bathrooms, the combined sink/toilet/shower just doesn't work in a shared-user setup, like it does in Nordic hotel rooms. After a while the shower curtain gets gross and it's just unappealing. (I stayed at places like YHA, no issues)

Thank you for your comment. For the bathroom: you are talking about the disable one, therefore it is a normal set up to have all in one room.

The owner was incredibly helpful and friendly and made me feel instantly welcome. However, the kitchen was very dirty with bugs everywhere and dirty dishes and I thought a kitchen clean would do a world of difference.

Good location, near ponsonby. The rooms were not so clean and the bed was not good at all (old springfeather matresses ). The owner is very friendly and helpfull. Hot shower is limited to 6 minutes for boys, 8 for girls.

This hostel is not right in the center but it's not a long walk to the city and it's much cheaper. Good dorms and clean bathrooms and well-equipped kitchen

You get exactly what you pay for. The location was good. Ponsoby is a great area and the hostel was fairly easy to find. There was also a very social vibe and good atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. However! I got bed bugs! Stay at your own risk, I'm still itching 3 days after.The beds are generally quite uncomfortable and gruby looking as are the showers.

Hi and sorry about your experience. We took action first thing that morning and had the room sprayed by NZ pest control. Everything is back to normal. Thank you to let us know that night, so we could act fast.

Good place to stay for couple of days Auckland. Just outside the centre so it was quiet, but still walkeble. Kitchen was a little messy now and then, but that's more the backpackers staying there. There was a little bit of open door policie (everything open).

When you ask the cleaner not to come in (because you are naked) and they stroll in anyway, that's a bit weird. I also didn't much like the 50c for a 6 minute shower which sometimes didn't work. Otherwise, this was a nice place. Couldn't ask for friendlier staff, and our private room had aircon which was great on really hot days. Handy location, excellent value, comfy bed, good atmosphere. I would stay here again.

• 24th Jan 2013
  • New Zealand

There was no air conditioning in the rooms so it was really stuffy, the only blankets provided were duvets so it was really hard trying to sleep (I was there in Jan, the height of summer). The bunk beds were really old and rickety, I got a couple of scratches from the springs from the bunk above. The majority of people in my room seemed to either live there or had been there for awhile and the hot water in the showers was not free! Plus, it was quite hard to find as directions were wrong.

• 23rd Jan 2013

Great hostel but the bed mattresses need to be replaced!!

Planned on staying in the borders beyond for only two weeks but once we got here and got to know everyone, we really loved it and wanna stay a lot longer..can't fault it

• 26th Nov 2012

You contribute a lot to the atmosphere! and we all enjoy your cooking! Thank you

The staff is very kind. I arrived with an injury and they all went out of their way to help me. Without them my trip would have been a lot worse. Everyone there is like a family and it is easy to find people to do stuff with. You do have to pay for hot water for the showers, but it is very cheap and not a big deal.

Borders Beyond was a really chilled out place that was more '20 somethings' rather than 'just turned 18' so there was a more mature atmosphere, but still lots of fun and I learned to fish from some German guys, make sushi rolls from Shino(Japanese)and make chocolate tarts from a French girl. The hostel is run by real people who are on the ball with which guest is selling camping gear and who needs a travelling buddy, and can really help you with their own knowledge of the country.

• 3rd Nov 2012

Thank you! looking forward to seeing you again

Friendly staff! Beds are comfortable. Cozy little place. clause to downtown with parking!

• 2nd Nov 2012

Cheers Have a good trip back!

I stayed for 5 nights in the hostel. The staff is very helpuf and the atmosphere is very good too !

the hostel probably could do with modernising slightly, and maybe some new mattresses, the mattress i slept on was about an inch thick foam and was realy uncomfortable with the wooden slats underneath. to be fair the hostel is quirky in its own little way and the location is good! the hostels is 80% full of french though, although i have nothing against the french most of them could speak in english but chose only to speak in french which made me feel uncomfortable

Hi sorry to hear about the french, even if the ratio is 50% they tend to speak french in between them indeed! The mattress has been changed since, thank you for the comments.

The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. The beds I stayed in were awfully uncomfortable because the mattresses were too thin and I could feel each board/slat under me. I did notice some of the mattresses were thicker.

• 31st Oct 2012

Thank you for comment, The mattress in this room has been changed to a better one.