Borders Beyond Reviews

8 Nixon St Ponsonby Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Timelimited wifi and paying for hot showers is poor.

• 21st Apr 2015

Thank you for your feedback. But It is written in the description of the property. It was not hidden when you have chosen to book with us. It feels unfair to complain about it now.

The positives on this hostel is the location and also the guy on reception,proper sound he is! He is very laid back and you can have a laugh with him. The downside is that if your not from France you may want to look else where, you may come across a couple of Germans but the vast majority are French. Which as a Brit I found the atmosphere a bit hostile.If your from France this is the place for you,it should have a French flag outside!

Tolle Atmosphäre

• 15th Apr 2015

Très bon petit backpacker, avec beaucoup de frenchies pour une immersion en douceur au pays des kiwis :)

• 18th Mar 2015

very disappointed from this hostel. very dirty living room that isn't being routinely cleaned. mediocre showers with absourd 6min of hot water for 50 cent. the 6 bed room is way too small. not enough lockers or electricity outlets. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying there unless they have no choice.

Thank you for your feedback. Regarding the shower It is written in the description of the property. It was not hidden when you have chosen to book with us. I find a bit unfair to complain about it now. Regarding the room, I'm sorry if you didn't like it, neitherheles my door is always opened to customers, you could have let us know the way you felt in order for us to be able to make your stay better.

wh visas perfect

L'endroit où il faut être, on se sent comme dans une famille !! Et en plus tout le monde parle français !

The Staff and Manager were very accommodating and helpful. The other customers were nice. Good thing is you can cook by yourself with well organised kitchen.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • India

Very friendly french staff. Lockers to store valuables would be a great option.

Not bad budget option, bit cramped but lively & popular with Frenchies.

The receptionist guy was very arogant and sarcastic,and could not find my reservation.the advert was not true,there was no parking.I had to park in the driveway.the receptionast guy made feel very unwelcome and humiliated me infront of the person in his office.because of the welcome I recieved,I lost my deposit and he lost a week worth of accommodation.I will not recomend this place to anyone!

• 17th Feb 2015
  • South Africa

Hi, we have 20 carparks on week ends and 6 during the week, check out google earth to be sure. Asking someone to wait for the on-going check-in to finish (the people in the office), before serving him, is nowhere near sarcasm or anything else but a customer service rule.

friendly and easy going atmosphere, unfortunately no warm water, unless you pay for it, security is more an idea but this depends also on the backpackers. nevertheless it was ok, the rooms are not too big ...

Excellent quality hostel, very friendly staff, like a family (more like a big flat house) and no like a big factory like Xbase, YHA.... We organise community food and activities (games, go out ...). Everybody has good vibes, very good ambiance ; the boss got humour, we are never bored. Only little thing, the wifi sometime doesn't work but we have tricks to make it work better ;-), and finally we don't need wifi so much ! Enjoy in the best place ever in Auckland !!

• 2nd Feb 2015

Bon rapport qualité/prix Personnel sympa Dommage que l'eau chaude et la wifi soient payantes.

Great hostel. Full of nice french people. Feels like a big french family. A very friendly hostelowner! We loved to stay there.

NZ is a wealthy westernized country, so paying for hot water for a shower is a no-no. if the owner wants to market his hostel as a place strictly for french people, that is ok (there are plenty of hostels that cater to only one nationality). but if he wants to draw guests from many countries, he needs to do a better job of making sure non-french people do not feel alienated due to not being french.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Regarding the shower, it is written in the property description, it is not hidden. and the bed price remains the cheapest in Auckland...Regarding the customers I can't, nor want, restrict or market towards on nationality, it will be segregation... Happy new year