Boutique Backpackers Reviews

87 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland

The staff was nice but wasn't competent at all. You had to ask more than one time to get bed sheets, and first of all these one were damaged. Furthermore there wasn't breakfast the first day and of three suitable showers only one worked. The whole Hostel was really dirty. A lot of problems and a too small and dirty kitchen. I would not recommend this Hostel

• 7th Mar 2014

Really friendly staff, good breakfast, good value for money. I had a great time in this hostel

• 1st Jan 2014

The Staff is fantastic! Very polite, very helpful and friendly! They had some problems at the system that caused me some trouble. But they solved by the best way possible! The atmosphere is exactly what lonely travelers like me look for. I had a great time in this hostel!

Friendly hostel with nice staff. Good value for money however there was a bed bug situation which they didn't do anything about - we were lucky not to get bitten!

• 27th Dec 2013

The people on staff here are very nice, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this hostel has a bed bug problem that they're completely ignoring. I wouldn't recommend staying here until they get it under control. Security is lacking: sometimes the doors to the bedrooms don't actually lock, and they didn't really have lockers; just told us to leave bags in the office if we wanted. I know the place has recently changed management, but they have a lot of improvements to make.

Disappointing kitchen and bathroom facilities were limited, only two for the entire hostel which was not good enough.

1. VERY VERY dirty bathroom - make sure to NEVER touch the curtain 2. uncomfortable bed - at least mine was 3. no security what so ever - a member of the staff kept coming in and out of our room, putting stuff in a locker, which we asked him for the keys but he told us that all the keys were lost - he got a screw driver out of his jacket and open the locker - security at its best! 4. the same member of staff came in one morning to have a shower in our bathroom rather than the other bathrooms!

The hostel did not have everything that they said it would (i.e., no lockers available). The entire hostel has only 3 bathrooms and only two were working. I kept reading that the reasons behind these things were because of new owners. New owners or not, you shouldn't advertise having lockers and other things if you don't have it. Period.

• 13th Nov 2013

Staff very friendly and helpful. Very very old build, I almost fell out on the stairs because the carpet unglued from the floor. It's not quite close to centre but it is a nice walk, passing through the shops/park. Breakfast is milk, cereal and jam. The shower gets the floor all wet and the bathroom is freezing! Very few plugs.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There was only one shower per floor though but that did not cause too many inconveniences. Overall, I would recommend this hostel.

Some staff were very friendly :) Beds were falling apart, I was afraid to sleep on top bunk because I thought the bed would collapse on top of my friend bellow. Ben linen and duvet looked dirty and old. Sink in en-suite didn't drain quick. Duct tape on fire alarm was worrying. Fire extinguishers may need to be checked too....

• 9th Nov 2013

You get exactly what you pay for. This is no frills cheap accommodation. Don't expect really comfy beds and there are no lockers available but the breakfast is good and the people are nice.

My sheets were not clean that was the main problem

• 7th Nov 2013

People at the reception was nice, but the italian that works there not. They dont have locker in the rooms, only three bathrooms, and i saw one girl chasing a mouse inside her room. The breakfast was good and the location is ok. Edinburgh is awesome.

This was a very nice hostel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was nice and quiet. One of the bathrooms was out of order when I was there, so it was a bit crowded with everyone using two bathrooms. They weren't very clean either during the weekend because there were a lot of people sharing them. Breakfast was good. There was plenty of food and it was no extra charge. The location is not far from the Royal Mile, about ten minutes to walk.

My main issue was with the beds... it felt more of springs than padding, and in the morning I had a lot of itchy bites on my body. I would not stay here again for this reason. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and the living room/kitchen is sociable and clean. Breakfast is sufficient (toast, spreads, cereal, milk, & tea & coffee). No lockers (apparently due to upgrade in progress), but staff offered to guard valuables at the 24 hour reception.