Boutique Backpackers Reviews

87 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland

Unfortunately we received an email days before travel to say that we would be unable to stay at Boutique Backpackers. In turn our trip had to be cancelled

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

Rough place. It has many long term guests, which is fine except the hostel has let them take over. The wifi never worked not even once and there were signs everywhere threatening to close the kitchen because it had been messy...not really fair for a new guest. I was checked in by two guys who looked like brothers, one was nice but the other sat in a chair shaking his head at me and looking grumpy while playing in his phone. Good location.

Booked this hostel for 3 nights. On the day we were due to check in, I get an email (not even a phone call) saying that due to a mistake on their booking system, our reservation had to be cancelled. I then went to the hostel, and am told that lots of people were prolonging their stay (it was weekend), and so my reservation had had to be cancelled.......BUT ISN'T THE PURPOSE OF A RESERVATION TO AVOID SITUATIONS LIKE THESE? Glad I didn't stay there anyway. Very dodgy environment.

The reason I docked the staff was because they were very disorganized, we booked 5 beds in the same room and when we arrived we were only able to fit 4 in a room. Otherwise the staff seemed great!

• 17th Oct 2015

Pleasantly surprised to have wifi, staff were nice and helpful, room wasn't the cleanest but it's a convenient and cheap hostel so I wasn't expecting luxury! Seemed quite a sociable place but I was only there one night so didn't have time to properly chat with people. Duvet thing very comfy, one roommate had some problems with getting the shower to work.

Sadly, worst hostel I've stayed in, and I've stayed in some pretty bad hostels! Nobody at reception for a couple of hours so had to wait in a nearby cafe in the morning. Dropped bags off and got back in the evening, bedsheets hadn't been changed, had to ask, the rooms were so dirty, kitchen a mess, the shower on our floor had no hot water, and all 3 showers in the building were filthy, in one of them the floor tiles were even broken, you could cut your foot! Plus dirt coming out from underneath.

• 19th Sep 2015
  • Romania

Honestly not a bad hostel! The guy at the front desk was always nice and helpful. I would probably stay again!

This place was just too unhygenic to offer accomodation to people. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Hi, the bathroom was incredibly filthy and disgusting (not to speak of the used condom I had to remove). I know you can't clean up after every single person if they do not have the decency to clean up after themselves, but still, clients should be encouraged to do that or the cleanliness of the bathroom should be checked more often by staff. Also, wifi didn't work while we stayed at the hostel. Best, Gyorgy

This is a great hostel and the location is pretty good too. I highly recommend it because the owner was extremely helpful and welcoming! He was always asking if he could do anything else.

Don't stay here! It is hard to think of a positive selling point for this hostel. Sure, it is cheap and has a very central location but for £10 pp per night it is still too expensive. The hostel is based in a beautiful old flat but it hasn't been properly cleaned in months. The staff were rarely present and were often involved in the party atmosphere. It was hard to tell who was a member of staff. The washing facilities were broken and not fit for purpose. Don't waste your time

Online advertisement for this hostel is very misleading. Upon arrival you really sense what you are letting yourself in for. Terrible smells, dazed staff, shabby corridors and even worse dorms. We paid more for a 4 bed dorm with our own bathroom, complete waste of money and the shower didn't even work. Wouldn't recommend wasting your time or money here as there are some other lovely options for hostels available in Edinburgh.

• 28th Aug 2015

Didn't see the staff once during the stay. Was fine for the purpose it serves. No curtains in the room. Bathroom quite grimy.

• 24th Aug 2015

This Hostel has which close

• 24th Aug 2015

Really friendly staff and relaxed vibe. When I left my phone on the stairs, a member of staff kept it safe in the office. Room was light & airy and most importantly NOT SMELLY like some hostels I've stayed in. The cooking area is small but fine for a couple of nights stay, and the showers were a little temperamental but nothing unexpected for a hostel. Clean sheets and plenty of room in the dorm and this being the cheapest hostel in Edinburgh over the festival, all in all it was very good value.

• 16th Aug 2015
  • rebeccalw1

take your bath towel with you, no towels for rent in the hostel tke also a padlock they are lockers but no padlockes?? staff friendly tea and coffee for free

Definitely not boutique! It's rooms were stuffy and needed to be cleaned throughly. The reception were unhelpful and were absent at the desk when needed with no contact number. The bathroom on my floor was out of action for cleaning for 7 hours! Overall it may be cheap but it's worth spending a bit extra to get somewhere you are comfortable and happy to stay in!

• 14th Aug 2015

Whilst we did have some issues with our booking the hostel were very good at compensating us for our trouble. Would stay here again.

• 13th Aug 2015

The hostel was small and crapped. The kitchen was a tiny household kitchen not designed to cater to the amount of people in the hostel. The beds has dirty sheets and the showers were dirty with water overflowing. Not good value for money. Location is central and the staff appeared approachable